Malibu, CA
Pepperdine University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pepperdine University

Dan

They are extremely caring people who are passionate in whatever fields they want to pursue.

Be bold. Don't worry about how others perceive you. I wish that I had acted like myself from the beginning and boldly stood up for who I was.

Carissa

Lack of passion is the most frustrating thing to me. At Pepperdine, overall, there is a very relaxed, social ethos. There is not much intellectual growth or stimulation outside of the classroom, and most people would rather talk about Greek life than Ideas. I want to see more passion among my peers about things that matter. I want to make a difference in the world, and find others who do as well, and get together and talk about ways to do so and be united in bringing awareness, protesting, or making daily life changes that reflect our values.

The worst thing about Pepperdine is that people think it is an elite school, but really most students here do not care very much. That is similar to what I said above, so let me say something more personal to me. I think the food offered here is one of the worst things. I care very much about where my food comes from for environmental, human rights, ethical, and health reasons. They pretend to have lots of organic and vegan options yet there are not, and this regular food is priced as if it were so.

Relax, and don't worry so much about making the decision. One ends up where one is meant to be and there will always be pros and cons there. There is no "perfect" school so one must just realize what is most important to them and look for those things, while recognizing it won't be perfect. Also, do not idealize college life. Whatever problems you have now, college is not likely to make them disappear and make your life perfect. There are new exciting things and life experiences to look forward to, but also hard things. But these hard things can be just as exciting and offer many opportunities, so there is no reason to despair about struggles. Most importantly, enjoy where you are at now, because is the happiest place you can be.

Makayla

Colleges like exta-curriculars. They like to know that they are getting a student who will get involved at their University. They like to see that you don't spend all your time by yourself, in your room, playing video games. So get involved during your senior year. It's your last year there. Try out for the play. Join the knitting club. Let the colleges know that you like to get involved. You'll have a lot of fun doing it too. Universities also like to see you finish your senior year strong. They are able to take away a scholarship or admission if they see that you have been slacking off. It happens every year. So get involved and finish strong. You'll thank yourself later.

Pepperdine University is built into a hill. No matter where you go, there are stairs that the students have to climb. There are hills and stairs everywhere. It is unavoidable. But having to go from the bottom of campus to the top in ten minutes is trecherous. One time, it took me half an hour into the class to stop sweating after the hike/sprint up there. But there is an upside to it: great calves.

One Stop is the on-campus help for scheduling. It has its name because it is supposed to only take one stop to get your schedule figured out. It never only takes one trip there. It is better to just add/drop classes on your own with the help of an upperclassman.

Bailey

My classmates are highly motivated individuals who are incredibly intelligent and tend to get involved in many activities.

Pepperdine has a fantastic alumni network and is very focused on securing jobs for students once they graduate.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college, I would advise myself to focus on enjoying every minute even when it gets tough. I would tell myself that it is going to be very difficult academically and explain to myself that I need to be mentally prepared to work hard. But my biggest piece of advice would be to eradicate all of the expectations I have going into the next chapter of my life and savor each moment I experience.

Caitlyn

My school is best known for its commitment to Christianity. While it is a very conservative Church of Christ school, where three religion classes are required of all students, it is also a very religiously tolerant institution. Pepperdine is most appropriately known for having Christian values and ideals, such as service to others, which the institution does its best to uphold. Other denominations of Christianity are more than welcomed here, and while non-Christians may feel more out of place with the emphasis on Christian ideals, there is a policy of religious tolerance which is enforced always.

Many of the students here grew up in very sheltered homes, so they have a somewhat narrow worldview and very little life experience. Pepperdine exposes them to other topics, but through a purely academic standpoint, so those students who arrive with these experiences are still vastly misunderstood. These students mean well, but it is difficult for them to conceptualize the situations in which their classmates were raised, with far less opportunities than they were given.

Pick a school which fits your needs best, not which fits the needs of those around you currently. Tour a school and see what it feels like to sit in the cafeteria; do the students seem nice, or are they too anxious to notice their surroundings? Pick a school based on the people who go there and work there, not what the people you know now think of them. The people you are currently surrounded by will soon be merely people you once knew, and the people you see on these campuses: laughing, playing, studying, eating, will be there group to which you belong. Find the school where you best belong, and apply to show them that you do belong there. The finances will work out later.

Mariah

I am the oldest of three siblings and as I watch my younger siblings prepare to enter college I often reflect on my own personal journey and consider what I would have changed if I knew then what I know now. Now, as I enter my fourth and final year as a student, I realize that the most important bit of advice I could share with my younger self would be to "take the leap". There are countless opportunities that I have missed due to fear; fear that I would fail, fear that I would embarrass myself, or fear that I wasn't good enough. My college experience could have been even better had I just taken that leap of faith and pushed myself through the fear. I would tell myself that every face I see is a potential friend, every event I attend is an opportunity to make lasting memories, and every fear I face is a chance to grow; but that these opportunities only come to those who take that leap. Failing is a part of life, but if you never take that leap you will never know how much more beautiful life can be.

The worst thing is the lack of school spirit. It is hard to feel connected at times and excited about attending Pepperdine because students don't always seem attached to the school. Sporting events and other school events usually have a very low attendance and it is discouraging for both students involved in those events as well as students who wish to get involved more.

Prior to coming to Pepperdine I wish I had known how difficult it was to get involved and stay involved. It is possible to get involved and active at Pepperdine but it takes a large amount of effort. I had assumed that clubs would reach out to new students to try to get them involved but that was not the case. In fact I had to go out of my way to get any information regarding clubs other than sororities and fraternities since I was uninterested in rushing. It takes a lot of effort to get involved here.

Allyn

Pepperdine University is an outstanding school with great academics, extremely knowledgable professors, and wonderful people.

If you are the type of person who does not enjoy small class sizes and likes to party and drink all the time, Pepperdine is not the place for you.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to enjoy senior year more. When I look back, I realize how stressed I was about college and the future, that I did not allow myself to sit back and enjoy the perks of being the oldest in school. I believe I was prepared for the transition, and there is not much I would change about the preparation for that. Compared to most, I think that I handled the transition into college life pretty well. Throughout my life, I have always been independent, and that really helped in moving across the country to attend school. Looking back, I am glad my parents and teachers pushed me as hard as they did, because it has made the huge life change of college a whole lot easier.

Allyson

My school is best known for its religious affiliation. Pepperdine is Church of Christ, and that attracts a stereotyped view of the average student here, of which I personally do not fall into. The average Pepperdine student is white, Republican, and of the wealthy class in America. Because my school is known for this, people with a liberal perspective tend to shy away from it because the students seem to be less relatable and more closed off to anyone outside of their societal niche.

I would advise my high school self to relax, take a deep breath, and trust. Trust in my abilities, what I've learned from my experiences, and in the people who are here to help me to succeed. Take each challenge bird by bird. Don't scrutinize over every word in the textbook; bubble out bigger encompassing concepts so you can retain them. Follow your natural learning curve. Processing every word of information robotically from the material you are given isn't going to give you the A. Stop stressing and take it one thing at a time.

The worst thing about my school might be not that people here are not open to new perspectives, but that because there is such a strong demographic pull in terms of religious beliefs, there simply isn't as much exposure to other views. There are several individuals on campus who are rigidly wealthy-class Republican and cling to that identity, but the university itself does not encourage or enforce it. In fact, most of the classes I've taken tend to mellow out students who fall into this area. I would have liked more exposure to students with different worldviews.

Brittney

You really need to have a good relationship with yourself in order to excel here at Pepperdine University. Sure, of course you also need to have drive, goals, and perserverance, but I think those qualities take a passenger seat to self love. This University focuses a lot on you as an individual and getting to know yourself: your likes, your dislikes, your dreams, your potential. If you are unwilling to jump head first into the personal growth Pepperdine University offers you, it will be really hard for you to enjoy your time here as a student.

If I could give my senior self one bit of advice, I would give this simple analogy: Your life is a film. It starts with a bang and from there it has the potential of a pleathora of endless possibilities. But, only if you let it. And, the only thing that ruins that film's future of greatness is fear. As far as I'm concerned, college is where your life really starts; it's the beginning of your Oscar nominated film. College is one of the most stressful yet thrilling experiences you'll ever have; one, you will only get to live once. Sure, the transition is going to be daunting. You'll miss home. You'll want to give up. And there may be everything to fear, but you can't let fear stand in the way. Because if you let fear get the best of you, fear wins. College is only the beginning of your future of infinite potential. So, make your beginning memorable because that Oscar is waiting for you. Be that box office hit. Be the leading lady of your own life. You can succeed. You will succeed. You only need to be brave.

I wish I would have known how Greek heavy this school was before I came. Pepperdine University's Greek Life is very diverse, with various groups to join. And because our campus is so small, a lot of the extracurricular activities are based upon Greek Life. But, if you aren't in one of these groups, it somewhat feels as if you are isolated from a lot of the campus' activities. This makes it difficult for the students who really want to be involved, but may already have other prior obligations that do not allow them to rush or join.

Michelle

Pepperdine has an excellent reputation, as well as professors who care about their students as individuals and not just as numbers in a lecture hall. It's important to me to know that TAs don't teach any classes. The International Programs are also highly regarded. I am actually participating in the 2014-2015 program in Heidelberg, Germany! Pepperdine's alumni network is also extremely strong. They want to help students either financially or with making connections. Of course, the Christian affiliation was also important to me. Overall Pepperdine is like no other, and the choice was pretty clear.

The groundbreaking truth is that not everyone falls madly in love with college the first year. Don't expect to make twenty lifelong friends your freshman year, even if you try to set up lunch and dinner with people and ask them to do things. It doesn't always click immediately. The work is hard. Yes, even general education classes can be demanding. Adjusting to classes being only once or twice per week instead of every day is a challenge for time management. Don't give up, and don't get down on yourself. You're not stupid. You're not incapable. You are at this school for a reason, and that is to impact it for the better. Although your social life may not fall into rhythm the first year, believe that it will get better. Don't even come close to letting disappointment affect your attitude. It will get better and more exciting. You will have opportunities that others only wish they had. You can be confident even when you make mistakes or barely pull through a tough class. You should be. In the end, who else can force you to be believe in your abilities except you?

You shouldn't attend this school if drinking alcohol on campus is important to you. Unfortunately, with the many hills and flights of stairs, wheelchair accessibility is limited. Pepperdine is a Christian school, so anyone strongly opposed to those values would not be a good fit. It's also small and pretty quiet, with fewer than 4,000 undergraduates, so if being anonymous and having thousands of new people around is important, that type of student would not like Pepperdine. The weather is usually mild or on the warm side, so snow lovers beware!

Pepperdine University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.