Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Dillon

When I discuss my school to my friends most of the bragging is done in name alone. RPI is well known across the nation as the oldest technological university in the United States; It also has one of the best division I hockey teams out there. However, when I wish to brag about my school I never discuss either. My first thought about my school is more of a personal one. Since I've been at RPI I have made an abundance of friends. This is all due to the good charactered students that RPI seems abundent in.

Well, I personally would kick myself in the butt and tell myself to get into good studying habits ahead of the game. See when I was in high school I developed a very poor studying habit; Somehow I had passed the years without even opening a text book for the purpose of studying, yet managed to become salutatorian of my class. However in college I found rather quickly this needed to change. Not only studying skills, I would've convinced myself to become more organized and "write things down" as my dad has always told me. This advice is what helped me pass this year, bringing all my grades up to just above the criteria, and due to this I need to try even harder the second semester to raise my rather low GPA. Other advice I would've given myself would be to apply to every scholarship available to me, because no matter how much you gain a little more never hurt. One more piece of advice I most definately would've given would be to prepare for a whole new life style and to trust me, it's going to be fun ride.

I believe the best thing about my school can be summed up in one word, opportunity. With every step I take at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute I find new paths, new doorways leading to limitless possibilities. There are many different fields of education which is only one subject that I want to mention. Although RPI is known for their great education the quality that I most admire is the boundless amount of groups and activities including anything from sports to racing, electronics and game development clubs, cooking classes and much more. Overall RPI is well diversed and a great college.

Christine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself my senior year I would tell me how important it is to make a budget. Also how important it is to sit down and study starting the first night of classes. Going to professor office hours isn't as scary as you think it is, so take advantage of it. The professors are very understanding and willing to help. Also, try eating a bit healthier; the cookies are really good, but so is the fruit. Don't forget to talk with your advisor. He is really helpful when it comes to planning for future classes. Try taking his advice now and going to hockey games and such with friends to let your brain breathe. Too much studying doesn't help. Try to have fun, too, it really will be better than high school.

I always brag about how everyone is so nice. The professors and other students make me feel so comfortable that I feel at home no matter where I am on campus. The first day in our eating hall people would sit down with complete strangers and made life long friends.

A person that does not like to work hard, that doesn't like to go above and beyond what's expected of you, and who doesn't like math. This is a tough school, but it is worth it. Also, someone that doesn't like receiving help or doesn't like asking questions shouldn't go here.

Byron

In my current situation I have graduated high school, but have not yet paid for college tuition. Although, I have taken the proper testing, met with an advisor to go over an appropriate schedual, and am enrolled as a student my financial situation has kept me from entering school. If I could go back in time to tell myself anything in high school it would be to apply for scholarships and financial aid now! This is your future and nobody is going to make this path, but you. The people who you think will be there and help along will not and the ones that will only will to an extent, the ball is in your hands its up to you to score.

Maureen

Dear Maureen, Congratulations: you are embarking on a new experience in your life. In light of this new chapter, remember to stay true to the values that got you through high school and into college. Embrace what sets you apart from peers; appreciate keeping your social life at school and devoting your time away from school to homework. Although it might bring you grief now, it has helped bring achievements and has nurtured your ?get-it-done? mindset. Now that you are entering a new environment, keep this focus on academics. Be social and get involved in activities, but remember that at the end of the day, in order to excel as you intend, you will have to attend to your studies. Your strong work ethic has always served you well ? keep it up! This will help you avoid stress and loss of sleep. However, if you do veer slightly off your path, do not beat yourself up; simply recognize your mistakes and be grateful you learned from them early in your college career. You have a bright future of success ahead of you ? you just need to stay true to the values that you hold dear. Sincerely, Maureen

I wish I had known that I would not be "the odd one out." My high school did not have APs, and I thought I would be behind everyone. It did not help when the head of admissions described the incoming class at "Accepted Student Day" -- I would be among students who had been published, hold patents, and won world championships. I felt intimidated. However, once I was on campus, I realized those students are the exception, and most of us are typical fresh-out-of-high-school students making our way through college. I was not behind; I excelled.

Some of the professors at RPI frustrate me. RPI hires brilliant, talented professors who are involved in and bring to the university ground-breaking research; however, some do not seem to have the correct techniques to teach students what they know. Some lecturers can be difficult to follow because they use overly-sophisticated vocabulary, or because they jump around in their thoughts. I believe this is due mostly to their not being accustomed to talking to people who do not yet have vast knowledge of the subject at hand.

Laura

COLLEGE LIFE GOES BY AS QUICKLY AS HIGH SCHOOL LIFE DID. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY MOMENT AND OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME INVOLVED - BOTH EDUCATIONALLY AND SOCIALLY. THE PEOPLE YOU MAKE CONTACT WITH ARE VALUABLE NOT ONLY FOR THEIR GIFTS OF FRIENDSHIP, BUT AS NETWORKING POSSIBLITIES TO FUTURE EMPLOYMENT. REMEMBER TO ASK QUESTIONS AND DILIGENTLY PURSUE THE KNOWLEDGE THAT WILL BE ESSENTIAL TO YOUR PROFESSION. YOU ARE PAYING FOR YOUR EDUCATION BOTH MONITARILY AND IN OPPORTUNITY COST, SO NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS UNTIL YOU CLEARLY UNDERSTAND EVERY CONCEPT. THIS MOMENT IN YOUR EDUCATION IS A GIFT THAT YOU WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE IN THE SAME WAY AGAIN. ENJOY THIS TIME TO THE FULLEST EXTENT POSSIBLE. NEVER FORGET THAT LEARNING IS A LIFELONG PROCESS OF DISCOVERY. SHARE THE TALENTS AND KNOWLEDGE YOU ACQUIRE, FOR THE BEST WAY TO RETAIN WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED IS TO TEACH OR SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE ELSE. HARNESS FEAR AND SELF -DOUBT CREATING INSTEAD CONFIDENCE AND CONVICTION. LIFE IS AN EXPLORATION OF POSSIBILITIES AND EDUCATION IS THE TOOL NEEDED TO REACH YOUR GOALS. YOU CAN AND WILL SUCCEED IN WHATEVER YOU DESIRE TO EXPORE.

Maryam

There is a common impression among RPI?s freshman that the city of Troy is a boring and even unsafe place to go. Because of this misconception, few choose to venture off campus. I wish I knew before that such notions were far from the truth and took the time to see all that Troy had to offer earlier. Troy has many quality restaurants and entertaining shops. I recommend that anyone applying for college becomes familiar with the area they will be living in.

In recent years competition to get into college has become so rigorous that simply being accepted into one is rendered a significant accomplishment. Unfortunately, this causes many students to define success by the college they get into. Bear in mind that attending college is not success, but a trail to it. Whether you attend your top choice university or not, make sure you do not underestimate freshman year. The change in lifestyle and new social scheme can be distracting; work hard and keep your goal in focus. College is expensive! Use the free time you have at the end of senior year to apply to scholarships. The summer after high school is valuable time; save some of it for yourself and spend the rest wisely. College is Pandora?s Box of opportunities, many of which come from your professors. Be sure to talk to your instructors; they are very resourceful and can help you make the most of your education. Lastly and most importantly, do not procrastinate! This is a golden warning that too few heed. You may get away with procrastinating in the beginning, but it will catch up to you. Overall, college is quite the experience, so enjoy!

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has a variety of campus events that make every freshman feel welcome and every upperclassman active. Aside from the extracurricular activities, which range from archery to engineering clubs, RPI students go to exceptional lengths to maintain connections with each other via activity fairs and holiday celebrations. After a few months into college a freshman student is familiarized others on campus, something that is less likely in many other colleges. Beyond the social scene, there are phenomenal performances and presentations provided frequently at the EMPAC Theater, one of the many buildings on campus which exude architectural beauty.

Jonathan

Many opportunities for a variety of future careers. These opportunities include internships, job offerings by prospective employers, undergraduate research. The faculties are also very helpful in terms of class and future career planning. Professors are willings to explain concepts and problems that students can't understand.

Participate in more school events because high school is just the beginning of a long education path that'll take me to a career that I ultimately will choose. Do things in high school for my own interest and inclination, and not for the sole purpose of "looking good" on college applications. Prepare to have the needed interpersonal skills to deal with many problems and challenges of college residence life. Social life is an important part of the high school to college transition and an even more important part of becoming an adult.

people who just want to party and not do any work

Marc

Expensive and fun, but getting worse because freshman and sophmorea are now FORCED to live on-campus and have a meal plan.

Get involved with clubs and other activities. It is a great way to meet new people and start friendships that will last. Don't just attend club meetings, talk to the officers and help while you are in college. Make sure to search for scholarships to cover most of the costs of college. Don't give up on finding good scholarships. Writing lots of essays may be seem boring and a waste of time, but they are a big help and well worth every second spent on applying.

The technology factor. The school is always trying to make sure students have access to technology that is being used in the real world.

Shannon

Frustrating, demanding, makes you strive to be better but professors don't care about students here.

Take all the opportunities presented to you, don't stay too focused on one area.

kaprice

It is hard to determine how well you are doing in class. You can be failing every exam and still pass because everyone else in your class is failing every exam too.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.