Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Jonathan

Many opportunities for a variety of future careers. These opportunities include internships, job offerings by prospective employers, undergraduate research. The faculties are also very helpful in terms of class and future career planning. Professors are willings to explain concepts and problems that students can't understand.

Participate in more school events because high school is just the beginning of a long education path that'll take me to a career that I ultimately will choose. Do things in high school for my own interest and inclination, and not for the sole purpose of "looking good" on college applications. Prepare to have the needed interpersonal skills to deal with many problems and challenges of college residence life. Social life is an important part of the high school to college transition and an even more important part of becoming an adult.

people who just want to party and not do any work

Marc

Expensive and fun, but getting worse because freshman and sophmorea are now FORCED to live on-campus and have a meal plan.

Get involved with clubs and other activities. It is a great way to meet new people and start friendships that will last. Don't just attend club meetings, talk to the officers and help while you are in college. Make sure to search for scholarships to cover most of the costs of college. Don't give up on finding good scholarships. Writing lots of essays may be seem boring and a waste of time, but they are a big help and well worth every second spent on applying.

The technology factor. The school is always trying to make sure students have access to technology that is being used in the real world.

Shannon

Frustrating, demanding, makes you strive to be better but professors don't care about students here.

Take all the opportunities presented to you, don't stay too focused on one area.

kaprice

It is hard to determine how well you are doing in class. You can be failing every exam and still pass because everyone else in your class is failing every exam too.

Delroy

They are truly a group of complete individuals who work together to make this college experience really awesome.

I would tell myself to get off my high horse. After I left high school and came to college I really did think that I was the man. I rarely studied and learned most material on my own outside of classes. I decided that I would not fix what I thought was not broken. I was gravely incorrect. My 1.54 for my first college semester proves that. I would tell myself what everyone was telling me but I took for granted - College is not high school. I would inform me of the mistakes I made and also provide myself with ways in which to avoid or fix those mistakes. I have already emplyed some of the things I would tell my high school senior self and they have paid off exponentially. I would tell myself to grow up. I needed to then and I wish someone had told me. I could have saved myself from the brick wall that I hit in my first semester in college.

The worst thing about RPI is that it is in Troy, NY. I love the school and everything that is going on here but I dread the cold weather that usually starts in November and can go all the way through March. Being that I grew up on a tropical island the cold weather and I are not the best of friends. If RPI were in a much warmer region I would have absolutely no problem with the school. It really is good here.

Eric

Very very expensive, not too many girls, a huge workload.

Very very expensive, not too many girls, a huge workload.

The amount we're learning is ridiculous. The school is well known for being a top engineering school, and hopefully this means that I'll get a great job.

There are a lot of things that people put importance on that really don't matter. You have no idea what its going to be like so don't try to put yourself in a "college person's" shoes. It doesn't matter what kind of furniture you get. You don't know if you should bring extra bean bags or whatever for friends, because you've never been there, and have no idea how you're going to interact with everyone. Concentrate on staying comfortable and making sure you're ok with everything about to happen. Never forget why you're there, and for the rest of senior year, become more independent. Make your own schedule, decide things for yourself. Get ready to meet new people and just do what makes you happy. And yes, college is as fun as everyone says it is.

Kerri

Given the opportunity to talk to myself as senior in high school, I would tell myself to "keep doing what you're doing because you're going to turn out just fine". In high school, I was a 3 sport athlete, an honor student, and a student council executive board member. Juggling sports and academics was what I did. Coming to RPI, I was already prepared for the lifestyle of being a 2 sport student -athlete. I had already experienced the social scences that you would find on a college campus, so that was not a distraction to my studies or my performance on the field. Friends were easy to make coming in Freshmen year. My teammates became not only my best friends, but friends for life. Sure, the workload as a biomedical engineer was more challenging than high school classes, but I would not be where I am today had it not been for the support of my family, friends, teachers, and coaches in high school. They gave me the tools I needed to transition into the college life and make it through successfully and I would not change the way things turned out for anything.

A strong-minded person who is focused on academics but knows how to still have fun socially.

I am 100% happy with the knowledge I came to this school with. I learned for myself the "ins and the outs" about campus life, living off-campus, about academics, and social aspects of this school and I became the person I am today because of it.

Michelle

People who expect that college is a breeze and requires little to no work.

People who expect that college is a breeze and requires little to no work.

The determination and drive of the students to acheive no matter what the odds or cicumstances are.

I would tell myself as a high scool senior not to waste so much time analyzing and agonizing over deicsions, because life should be spent living and not thinking about living. I would also tell myself not to hide so much of my personality when meeting people because in the words of the Bernard Baruch, the people that matter don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter. There are many little lessons I have learned and they are as follows: go to class on time and sit in the front, go to office hours because they are actually helpful, don't sacrifice eating or sleeping, don't do homework the night before it is due, work before you play and you will not be as stressed, take leadership positions as a freshman representive, and lastly to be wary of social networking sites, and their ability to take up hours of time.

James

I would definitely have myself work on my study habits. I never studied in high school, and when i got to college, it was totally different. I barely made it through freshman year with passing grades. My first college exam grade was a 35, so i would tell myself that and begin to work on study habits.

I wish i had known about the fact that there are very few women here.

Gregory

Every man for themselves. Sure I'll give you the answer, but I won't tell you how to get it! I'm better than you because I always get perfect scores on exams - and I have a social life! REALLY?!

You know that you want to be an engineer; you are a girl; you want to brag about being in a new ivy; you like managing your finances even if you only take loans; you are rich and could pay 40+ thousands per semester without financial aid; YOU WANT A GOOD JOB AFTER YOU GRADUATE.

If you want to be an engineer, you better have taken plenty of AP courses! If you haven't - don't even try to get into elite engineering schools; you may be able to get in, but you won't make it long - unless you are both determined and persistent. Your best bet would be a state school. Don't choose a college because you saw the awesome laboratory facilities - take a look at the course curriculum and look at how many undergraduate courses indicate hands-on experience - chances are there won't be many. If research is your thing, figure out what opportunities are available by visiting the department website of your choice. Contact professors while still in college! The professors will never refuse to talk to you - although there is no guarantee that you will get far. The question you need to ask is: Do you need undergraduate assistants? Typically elite schools have far-better graduate programs than undergraduate, so make sure you know exactly what to expect. Do not base your choice on social life ratings of the school - the extraverts make these ratings - you will always be able to find the right group of people!

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.