Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Thomas

Renssealer Polytechnic Institute overall is a great college to attend if you can afford it. There are a few gripes here and there concerning the professors and their overall ability to teach the subjects, but in my experience more often than not they get the job done. There are so many things to do on campus year round and off campus there is the great city of Troy that you can spend a lot of time enjoying, despite the fact that it is not the safest place during the night. Like any college, everything is a bit expensive and the food is not the best thing ever, but if you can get past it, there is a lot to gain from attending.

queen

Good!

Good!

Caroline
Alumni Perspective

Alumni Perspective

RPI wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first got there. It definitely is a school where you get as much as you put into it. And if you want to do something, you have to be willing to go find it, it is definitely there. For people who are going to be attending RPI, go in with an open mind... Don't limit yourself to what you know, broaden your horizon.

Caitlyn

In my opinion, those who want to study liberal arts or experience a state school should not enroll at my university. This school is primarily anchored engineering and science. Those programs are better developed from my understanding. Additionally, the degree programs do not allow for the same amounts of leisure you may find in a school with high amounts of amenities. Though my university does have many options for students to participate in aspects outside of academics, the combination of school size and academic rigor does not provide the same range of options one may find at large state university.

If given the opportunity, I would tell my senior self that you need to understand that sometimes life does not always go your way. Additionally, I’d remind myself to not forget what you believe. The reason I would give this to myself is I had surgery in the first week of my first semester. This seriously altered my expected college experience. It was difficult to transition. I found myself facing difficulties beyond those of other college freshman. However, I did get placed in settings that other freshman experience. Those including having the option to potentially redefine who I would be viewed as. From what I have experienced, it is best to hang onto your beliefs and values. With there being so many other new variables, holding onto what is definitive greatly effects you. This advice would have better grounded my senior self when transitioning into college.

Shaeed

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has great Academics. The reason why I consider this the best thing about my school is because of the challenge that the courses here gives to the student. It forces he/she to think both critically and to analyze different situations in a variety of ways. Although RPI might not be well known amongst the general public, it is highly renowned in the Engineering Industry. It prepares students well for what they will be doing in the field and because of this many companies come to RPI during the career fair looking for these brilliant individuals.

As a freshman, I have learned much about college life and making the transition that would have been helpful to me as a high school senior. The first piece of advice I would give to myself back then is to be more involved in the community. A College campus is one big commmunity in which the students work together to achieve common goals. The skills associated with successfully doing this would have easily been obtained if I had done more for my community. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to take on leadership positions. In college, I have realized how important leadership skills are when it comes to finding internships, joining organizations and even organizing study groups. The third piece of advice I would give myself is to not be afraid to ask for help. Starting college, I was shocked at the fast pace of classes. Because I never found the need to get help before college, I figured I could do this on my own. I was wrong. Professors have office hours and there are tutoring programs. Never do it on your own. Get the help that is offered and utilize the university's resources.

The kind of person who should attend RPI is one who is not only serious about his/her academics, but one who looks to better themselves in terms of leadership, professional development, and networking. Many of the students attending RPI graduate and move on to doing great things in life. These individuals are worth building a bond with. In terms of leadership and professional development, RPI has many work shops and opportunities which aid in skills such as resume building and interview etiquette. One such opportunity is the career fair in which many companies come to RPI and recruit students.

RPI's tagline is "Why not change the world?" This question can be asked in many different ways. RPI encourages students to ask it any way they want, and continues to encourage students to change the world. While so many students are content to graduate with a degree, RPI's students have a passion about their work, and they all want to change the world for the better. Most of RPI's students are not only passionate about their studies, but are highly involved in outside projects. Whether they are changing the globe or just campus, we change the world.

After a year at college, there are many things that I would tell my high school senior self. The most important peice of advice I would give would be to be true to yourself. You cannot let what other people want from you shape how you live your life. Find your own, personal, internal motivation for every task you undertake. It is your life, not your parent's, professor's, or friend's. This is important because happiness will not come from making others content with how you are living your life, no matter how much you do not want to disappoint them. Similarly, I would tell myself that although college is a time for self exploration, and self re-creation, stay true to yourself. Even if you are trying out a new image for yourself, you still have every right to do what makes you happy. Whether it is staying in on a Friday night, or saying no to the boy who wants to take you to formal. The only things you will regret are the decisions you made while you were lying to yourself. A year wiser, I hope I can follow my own advice.

The opportunities that are offered at RPI are extraordinary. After just my freshman year, I was able to gain lab experience on an independent project in a class. I was presented with an opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant and expand my understanding of physics exponentially. Through Red & White student organization, I have networked with alumni and current students, and gained leadership experience heading events. I was able to do all this while competing on the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams, at the league, state, and regional level. These are only a few opportunities. I already can see more.

Chloe

The classmates at RPI are very welcoming, intelligent, creative, career-fucused students that enjoy having fun with the other close knit students.

Our school is best known for academics; engineering is very well known all over the world, the management school is also very well known for great resources, also science is very well known at RPI because of the quality of the labs and other research areas.

I would tell myself not to save more money along the way, pick up more summer jobs, get a job at school. I would also tell myself to be who I really am the entire time. It may be scary at first to be yourself but it is worth it for everyone else to know exactly who you are. In college take and abuse every opportunity handed to me, there are so many opportunities that will never arise in our life again so just do it.

Christine

As a 28-year old, this is what I would YELL to myself as a high-schooler: You are smart, you are beautiful, you are strong and you have everything you need in life to succeed! Do not focus on the pressure to go to college right away, because you need to figure out your passion in life first....then you will know exactly where you want to be in life and you will find your purpose. P.S. You are awesome!

In high school I excelled in math and science and received the ‘Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal’, which was a scholarship awarded to the top math and science student in their graduating class. I accepted this award with the interest in attending a very prestigious college and challenging myself beyond anything I had ever challenged myself with before. I declared ‘mechanical engineering’ as my major, as I was now attending one of the top ten engineering schools in the nation. The best thing about my school is the challenging curriculum and the tremendous opportunities it provided.

Vashti

It's ok to go into college without knowing exactly what you want to study, just to get most prerequistes out of the way. When you become aware of what you want to major in, make sure your heart is in it so that your motivated to succeed. Save money and register for scholarships even if you receive finacial aid. Financial aid will run out some point in your schooling. In college no one holds your hand, to show that your serious, it is up to you to reach out for any kind of help necessary. Build a bond with professors, you will need recommendations if you wish to transfer colleges in the future, or apply for scholarships. Get involved with extracurricular school activites, it is a fun way to meet others, also it can make your scholarship essay or resume stand out.

Pablo

Education has been always my friend. When I was child I was always the first one in my classes. In other words, I was always getting the better grades. That always motived me. I've never stopped to dream and to study. I find delight learning. My only desire was to learn as much I can. I always wanted to use my knowledge helping others. I did not find myself doing other things but this in the future. Later or sooner, you will do the same for others, helping them to find ways to study because when you are helped, you feel the need to help others. If other people are helping you to complete your university studies, then you need to do your best and make a difference among others; doing your best, studying hard, and learning as much you can during your college time. Albert Einstein once said, I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Therefore, I'm a believer that education is a gift we get if we love to study. Keep studying; you will see how you will succeed in the future. Never stop! Your best weapon is the optimism. Believe in yourself.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.