Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

RPI's Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies is unique and one of the world's most advanced research facilities. Research projects in this facility have made advances in bioprocessing, nanotechnology, microsystems, and more. Many may assume that because this facility is state of the art it is only available to professors and graduate students, however, RPI prides itself on having undergraduate research opportunities which i plan to take advantage of in the near future.

Making a transition to college involves two types of changes: adapting to a new academic environment and a new way of learning, and developing a new social life. In college the professor does not “hold your hand” the whole way through the learning process as high school teachers do. Professors will not seek out students who are receiving low marks; students are responsible for knowing when they need help and seeking help. I would advise myself to ask questions if I am confused. It is ok to go to the professor’s office hours or ask a friend for help. The average college student spends only 15 hours per week in class. This leaves a lot more time for college students to do what they whatever they want as oppose to high school students. I would advise myself to join a club because this allows students to form a group of friends who all share a common interest. Having a close group of friends makes every aspect of the transition to college easier, which makes developing new friendships crucial for the college experience.

The best thing about my school is its concentration in the areas of math, science, and engineering. When I was applying to colleges I was not sure exactly what i wanted to study, but I knew I wanted to study something in science or engineering. RPI has a wide variety of majors in engineering and science, some of which may not be offered at other colleges. By attending RPI I was able to keep my options open.

Courtney

If i could go back in time and talk to myself i would tell myself to study alot and to go to alot of study sessions. I would also tell myself to stay focused and keep my head in the books. And that what you learn in high school will get you far in the future and in college. And to keep up your grade point average and study alot to take the Psat because that test is very important.Your grade point average is something that a college wants to see so they know what kind of peron they are excepting. I also would tell my self that just because you have an IEP does not mean that you cant learn like everyone else. In addition to making a college transition from high school, college has taught me independence for my future. independence is part of growing up and when you start college you are no longer a child because you are going to school with adults. and lastly before you get excepted into college definitly work on getting scholarships because continueing your education is very important but at the same time education definitly comes with a price tag.

cheryl

My school is difficult, filled with hard work, but completely satisfying upon completion of classes and success in work. Th people are always friendly and very competitive.

The Internet server overloads late at night when all of the students are done with homework and begin their online gaming obsessions.

You made the good choice in colleges. Keep up your rigourous study habits and you will succeed, but remember budget time for fun and friends.

Jeff

Rensselaer is an amazing school that can reward you with great opportunities for the future. As a local, I was skeptical about going to a school that was so close and the tough reputation that it has. After just a few weeks I realized that it was going to prepare me for the future. Student life at Rensselaer is fantastic. It may not be a party 24/7 but you are constantly busy with sports, friends, etc.

Athletics and Greek life are the two primary activities and groups on campus. Division 1 men's and women's ice hockey are popular activities to watch as well as our football games. A lot of students are out there supporting each other. Greek life is the other big aspect at Rensselaer. Comprising nearly 1/3 of the student body, Greek life can be many things for students. Yes, social life is a big aspect but so are academics, stewardship, community service, leadership, etc. Greek life takes on a whole new meaning at Rensselaer in a good way.

Rensselaer is a particularly diverse school. At roughly 4800 undergrad students, the school has a number of clubs to support the different groups at Rensselaer. Additionally, Greek life and athletics make up a portion of students. It is really difficult to sum up students are Rensselaer besides saying that they are smart and determined people. No matter what you hobbies or beliefs are, there are people and clubs that are interested in the same things.

Rensselaer is more than just lectures, it is about learning through alternative methods. As the first college to implement studio style learning, classes at Rensselaer take a more active role in you learning. Studio class incorporate a lecture as well as hand on application time during class so you see the real life application of these techniques. As a dual management and design, innovation, & society student, there is a sense of creativity in this combination. Duel majors are quite common and afford students the ability to shape their education and better prepare themselves for the future.

Nerdy. Yeah, we are studious but that population you envision of anti-social student is very small.

Overall, I really do love RPI. The class sizes are perfect, not too many students, yet still enough to meet new people on the weekends. The campus is beautiful and has an IVY league look with some modern buildings. Although the city of Troy itself isn't that great. There are constantly notifications from public safety about people getting mugged near campus. Their isn't a lot of school pride. The football games never get a big turn out even though we have this great new complex. The hockey games are usually a lot of fun. The Greeks on campus to contribute to a large portion of making school pride better.

There are a lot of Asians, and Caucasians, not some many African American students. The school is expensive so you do see a fair amount of rich kids, although there are also students who come here taking out numerous loans and can barely afford the tuition raises. The spectrum of students ranges from typical RPI "nerd" wearing their red RPI hoodie to the prissy Sorority girl wearing a blazer and heels. I believe no students would feel out of place here, we really do have all kinds of people. Most students are from the New England, and New York region, although we do have students natively from China too. The range of culture at RPI is large, once you come here you will find your group of people and realize you aren't alone.

I'm an architecture major so my classes are somewhat different than that of the Engineers. We have a class size of about 60 students. From there we take a studio class that consumes most of our time. In studio we are broken down into smaller sections of about 15 people each. The professors are great and the definitely know our names. They are so personal and actively help us in the job search as we get older. I am currently on a study abroad with one of my Professors from the RPI campus. The academic here are strict and they expect a lot. They set impossible deadlines so that we will push ourselves to reach them. The education in the architecture department is 100% geared to developing a unique design style in hopes of getting a job in the future.

Nerdy. This stereotype isn't accurate. Although we have a fair share of quirky kids, we also have a large population of students involved in athletics, clubs, and Greek life. There is always something to do and the "nerdy kids" tend to find each other and have their own fun.

Carla

I could not be more happy that I chose to attend RPI. I found friends more similar to me than anyone I ever knew in high school. There is rarely a walk I take that I do not see at least one person I know; I'm always glad to give and receive a friendly hello. The size of campus is wonderful for walking; however, for upperclassmen who live in the residence halls farther away from academic campus, shuttles are readily available. Walking throughout campus is aesthetically pleasing as well, with the flowers, trees, and brick buildings. I am rather involved in campus, so I notice a lot of school spirit, which just makes for a fun college experience. Hockey games are especially exciting and are a campus-wide pass-time, which pleases me because I love hockey. Even though I am already involved on campus, there are so many interesting opportunities, I wish I could participate in more clubs and activities. My major disappointment with Rensselaer is the lack of a foreign language program, considering I adore languages. I wish Troy were more of a college town or more of a city-atmosphere, but downtown Troy has some wonderful mom and pop type businesses that I rather enjoy.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We have four dining halls on campus. each has different hours of operation, but none serve dinner past 8pm. One does have a service from 10:30 to 11:30 on weeknights.There is not large variety from day-to-day and from week-to-week, especially for picky eaters, but the food is decent and sometimes really good. As for allergies, one dining hall offers a specialized room that requires specialized access, so only students that make known their allergies can utilize this room. The Student Union houses some food court style options which have much extended hours of operation. These options include sandwiches, pizza, chicken tenders, and the like. The Union and one residence hall also have small convenience stores. There are four, maybe five, cafes in academic buildings, which serve soups, salads, snacks, baked goods, sandwiches, drinks, coffee, and tea. One uses meal swipes in dining halls and flex dollars to purchase items in cafes, the Union, and the convenience stores.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute sits atop a hill that overlooks downtown Troy, which is on the front of the Hudson River. Most buildings are charming red brick buildings with historic construction dates. Yet, the school married the old and the new. One example is our Biotech building was built in 2001 with a very modern interior, but on one external side was built to look like the Quad, which was built around 1915. A prominent-looking building on campus that sits on the side of hill is the Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center, which also has a modern look, said to appear like a ship in a bottle. The only building on campus appears tall. If one ventures down the hill, one will find a building that was a hospital in the nineteenth century and it maintains its appearance of being a historic building. Campus is essentially split by a street (but we have a pedestrian bridge) that divides the academic buildings and the student life and residential buildings. I have always been pleased with the landscaping. The grass is kept well and flowers and trees are plentiful. One will find significant areas of greenery, such as our '86 field, throughout campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

As far as athletic spectatorship, men's hockey is the most popular sport. Season tickets are popular and are sold at a celebration called the "hockey line." Hockey games are a blast! I love hockey, but I have friends who disliked sports and have been converted to hockey fans. The pep band is lively and humorous and the fans are enthusiastic. Men's and Women's are the only division I teams at RPI; all others are division III. For athletic participation, about 70 percent of the student body participates in an athletic endeavor. Options include varsity sports, club teams, intramurals, and athletically inclined clubs (which are not club sports since they do not compete against other schools). Walking around campus, I typically see a group of students playing a pick-up game of frisbee or soccer or football. I personally do not play on a team, but I run almost every day, so I include others like myself as part of the sports scene.

What are your classes like?

This semester, my classes are lecture style, using Powerpoint presentations to guide the lecture. However, in one of my courses, the professor uses the blackboard and teaches through practice problems. I have a quiz either weekly or bi-weekly in each of my classes and three exams along with a final. My professors all welcome questions during class and hold reviews before exams. Fortunately, in my two-hour long classes, the professors allow us a ten minute break in the middle. I find minimal, but occasional, distractions from other students.

Hockey games are the major athletic event of interest. We even have a hockey line celebration to buy season tickets. We have special games such as the Big Red Freakout and there is a club entitled the Red Army that is dedicated to hockey. I am involved with Habitat for Humanity, but there is a plethora of community service oriented clubs, with one example being Circle K. I am also part of the Resident Student Association because I have had a great experience in my residence halls. I met my best friends on my floor last year, and the people in our hall were almost inseparable. Other major clubs involve the Outing Club and Red and White, the student alumni association. We also have academic honor societies and clubs based on major or ethnicity. We have annual events such as Alumni Weekend and Winter Carnival, both of which garner a lot of student participation. As a non-party goer I always have something to do, such as Sheer Idiocy student improv shows, UPAC cinema, the RPI Players shows, and miscellaneous club-sponsored events. I also hang out with friends; we have tea parties. Greek life is definitely present on campus, but there is not pressure to join or not to join. I happened to go through recruitment this semester and have been thrilled with the decision, even though I never expected this for myself.

I have noticed a large variety of students on the RPI campus. Just going to the activity fair that is held every semester, one can observe the diverse interests of the student body. We have about 206 student union-funded clubs, and any student with enough signatures of interest can start a club. I personally have friends of varying racial, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic background, but none of that matters. I personally love that international students have a large presence on campus. Of course similar interests, personalities, and backgrounds do draw people together as friends, but I have not experienced or observed any bias towards others. Many students are from the northeast, but there is a significant portion of students from farther away as well .One of my favorite aspects of the students is that they are interested in academics, just as I am. Even though we are a technical school, I know many students who share my love of humanities. Many students also love video games and Pokemon.

This semester, my third at RPI, I have noticed the intensity of engineering courses more than I did in my past two semesters. Yet, the material I am learning is interesting, so despite the stress, I still enjoy myself. The fact that office hours are so readily available also helps. Attending office hours has also proven beneficial in that the professors have had the chance to learn who I am, which is especially difficult for them in larger courses. With more difficult classes comes more study time, but that does not mean that we students find no time for activities other than schoolwork. I also enjoy that professors or graduate TA's often hold review sessions before exams, although questions during class are typically welcomed. So far, I have been happy with the course requirements for chemical engineering. I especially love the humanities and social science requirements considering I am working toward a psychology minor.

I would say that RPI students are stereotyped as being nerdy engineers. Well, we are nerds, and we are proud of it! However, not everyone is an engineer and in terms of majors, interests, and personalities, we definitely do not have a homogeneous student body.

Shawn

The best thing about RPI is the absolute focus in developing students into people who can truly work in the real world. A strong emphasis is placed upon taking at least one course in different fields, even if drastically different from your own (e.g. biology for Architecture majors). Similarly, professional development courses have their place in many majors to enhance the ability of students to work professionally and well with others. When people visit my school, they are amazed that the research-oriented view of the school. It is truly amazing how simple it is for students to become involved in academic research, whether it be in a science or engineering laboratory or in studies about lighting. RPI is surely full of pride and one of my fondest memories will be banding together and singing the Alma Mater with my friends at one of our many hockey games.

RPI is famous for engineering and science graduates. Accordingly, our biggest stereotype is that of a "nerdy" school. I would have to agree to a degree that we're on the track to being nerdier than most schools, but you will surely find people of all personalities and backgrounds at RPI. We also have the stereotype of being a dominantly male school, which is completely accurate when viewing the statistics. For every three male students, there is one female student, but the ratio is becoming more female-friendly with each passing year.

Chelsea

I LOVE my school. It definitely isn't perfect, but it's perfect for me. The classes are challenging. They don't sugar coat anything here. The professors are tough and aim to make tests that actually do test your understanding. But the professors also actually make sure they give you the opportunities you need to learn the material. What really makes me love it here, though, is the community. If you talk to anyone here, you are likely to hear the same basic story. They were a little reserved in High School, they had their friends, they had a pretty good time, but they also spent a lot of time on their own. But then they came here and discovered a 1000 other people who appreciate science, who care about academics, and who love the same nerdy things they had always loved, and they blossomed. The type of people you find here are generally accepting, non-judgemental, and friendly. They don't make nasty comments about the "nerds" who play LoL in the union or the people who wear funny clothes to class. They understand that everyone has their quirks, and they embrace it.

Being a school that has a huge focus on academics, specifically science, most of our students would be considered "nerds." And most of are students actually are nerds, at least to some degree. We have a good amount of "super-nerds." You know, the kids who play video games all day and only go out to the real world when they have to eat. The ones who are either talking about new 'builds' they want to try out or the consequences of nano-particles in everyday activities. These people make do make up a large percentage of RPI's student body, but not all of it. We also have what would be considered more "normal" students. We have people who play sports, and people who like to socialize and those natural born leaders who start all our clubs. We have frat guys and sorority girls. But if you talk to any of these people long enough, you realize that they're all closet nerds. Some hide it more than others, but everyone on campus has at least one super nerdy passion. Whether its astrology, Harry Potter, or Starcraft 2, everyone on campus has something they love that makes them a nerd deep down.

Sharon

RPI is a great school that provides you with a great education that prepares you extremely well for your future. The classes are extremely rigorous, which has prepared me so well when it comes to having great organization and work ethic skills. When companies see that you went to RPI, they are immediately impressed and know that for the past 4 years, you have worked hard. However, this is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I feel like the classes are so rigorous, that it almost feels unfair. There are weeks where you are not very busy, and then some weeks where you are smaller with three exams, and you have to put your social life aside and just study. Although almost all of my professors make themselves very available and are always there to help, there are times where I wish they put themselves in our shoes for a minute so they can realize that we have 3-4 other classes, activities, and sports that we are also a part of.

Anything athletics is very popular at RPI. Over 75% of the student population participates in club sports, intramural sports, or varsity sports. And there is every sport imaginable, anything from basketball, rugby, quidditch, hockey, weight lifting, to ultimate frisbee. This is where a lot of people meet their friends, if not during orientation or through Greek life. Intramurals are very popular, and students usually come to watch those or cheer on their friends. Varsity sports are also popular, and since the East Campus Athletic Village was built in 2009, it has allowed school spirit to really skyrocket. Hockey and football are very popular to watch, but soccer and lacrosse are also big events.

There is no one definition about the type of student at RPI. There are so many cliques at RPI. You will find athletes, LGBT, every religion, hippies, nerds, dancers, actors, etc. There are days where I walk to class and see someone hanging out on a tree, a group of hockey players, and a group of students from the Student Senate. So as far as finding a group of friends to be with for the four years, this is very easy, and rarely have I encountered someone that feels out of place, or has to eat a meal in the dining hall alone. Most of the students are from the east coast, but almost every state is represented in RPI, in addition to many international students.

Academics are HARD. There is no such thing as a class where you can skip every class, come to take the exam, and end up with an A. Some classes are harder than others, but all of them require some time and effort. It depends on the professors, but I have found that most of my classes are interesting, and I enjoy going to class. Once you finish your freshman year and most of your lecture classes, most of your classes end up being very hand-on, and more project based rather than exam based. This is one of the things that I enjoy most about RPI. By doing project and presentation based work, I have found myself retaining more of the information beyond the semester, and it has prepared me very well for my internships and job.

The stereotype at RPI tends to revolve around the high male to female ratio. Therefore, students think that this means that they will not have a social life and that the men will not be able to have any "normal" girl friends. This is completely not true. Sure, there are classes where you will be surrounded by just men, but at the same time, I have had engineering classes where the majority of the class is made up of women. As far as this ratio's effect on the social life, this is just not true. There are plenty of men at the school that do not leave their room. As a result, when it comes to going to social events and parties, the ratio very much even out and you would never know that the school has such an uneven ratio. Another stereotype is that everyone at RPI is nerdy and weird. This is not true! I have found that RPI is full of so many cliques and types of people. Yes, there are nerdy people, and people you will find "weird", but RPI is very diverse. Everyone easily finds a group of people that they get along with. Athletics and greek life is extremely popular, so there are plenty of great people to meet and things to do outside of the strenuous work that goes on at RPI.

Alex

RPI is the perfect size for a school. It's not too bug or too small. You will know many of your classmates, which will turn out for the best. It's tough, but you will succeed if you can make it.

As a tech school, RPI is usually seen as a geek school. While there are the usual geeky things that happen, RPI is a diamond in the rough. Everyone is their own person. I have found some of my best friends here and I can say that there is no fair way to stereotype this school.

If you come here and aren't a "nerd" to a lil extent, you won't fit in unless you can fake being an Internet nerd. See 4chan or Funnyjunk for more info.a

If you want a college sweetheart, don't come here. Only reason why I'm writing this. You may hear that Sage College is an all girls school, but they are all as stuck up as RPI girls, if not, more stuck up. If you can make it through RPI and still be somewhat happy, you're destined for great things. Bitches ain't nothing but hoes and tricks.

Girls are stuck up. Nice guys are desperate for a nice girl to notice.

Teachers are tough, but it's a good education. Not!!! Most professors are foreign and have thick accents that throw off many average everyday American kid that comes here.

Fraternity parties are really the only social life on weekends. Usually only girls and other Greeks get into parties. Always a list, but girls are always on it, even If some people can't get on it.

Guys are nerds, girls arent as smart, guys are desperate, fraternities have a bad name (animal house image)

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.