Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Alex

RPI is the perfect size for a school. It's not too bug or too small. You will know many of your classmates, which will turn out for the best. It's tough, but you will succeed if you can make it.

As a tech school, RPI is usually seen as a geek school. While there are the usual geeky things that happen, RPI is a diamond in the rough. Everyone is their own person. I have found some of my best friends here and I can say that there is no fair way to stereotype this school.

If you come here and aren't a "nerd" to a lil extent, you won't fit in unless you can fake being an Internet nerd. See 4chan or Funnyjunk for more info.a

If you want a college sweetheart, don't come here. Only reason why I'm writing this. You may hear that Sage College is an all girls school, but they are all as stuck up as RPI girls, if not, more stuck up. If you can make it through RPI and still be somewhat happy, you're destined for great things. Bitches ain't nothing but hoes and tricks.

Girls are stuck up. Nice guys are desperate for a nice girl to notice.

Teachers are tough, but it's a good education. Not!!! Most professors are foreign and have thick accents that throw off many average everyday American kid that comes here.

Fraternity parties are really the only social life on weekends. Usually only girls and other Greeks get into parties. Always a list, but girls are always on it, even If some people can't get on it.

Guys are nerds, girls arent as smart, guys are desperate, fraternities have a bad name (animal house image)

I love RPI and I wouldn't change a thing. RPI has given me opportunities I wouldn't normally have elsewhere.

This is not accurate at all; most students are intelligent here but have a wide variety of interests. I have many friends who are on sports teams and involved in Greek life.

Shay

The stereotype of a Rensselaer student is that all the students are nerds and stay in their rooms playing video games. This stereotype s not accurate because even though Rensselaer students are studious we are not all confined to our rooms. The typical Rensselaer student knows how to balance academics while still having a healthy social life.

Seth

My advice to myself would be to not concern myself so much with my social life. When I first entered RPI, the foremost thought on my mind was about making friends, rather than doing well in classes. While I have made friends, I feel like I could have easily done so with less worry and less fretting about it; the process of making friends occurs naturally, albeit gradually, in college. I met one of my best friends in the world at RPI along with many other good friends and acquaintances. School work, however, requires more thought and attention; good grades do not simply naturally occur.

Liberal arts majors. Sorry, but RPI just doesn't cater. Also, if you want to take a foreign language, forget it.

Anyone with a strong interest in the sciences or technology. Electronic artists find a good home here as well.

Nathan

My school is centered in Troy, NY, considered one of the capitals of independent media in the North Eastern United States. Many of my professors are still actively involved in their video fields locally, giving them important experience.

The most frustrating aspect of RPI is the required math and science courses that I need to graduate but do not affect my future career plans, and don't interest me. If I didn't have to take those, I would have been able to take more video / audio classes.

I have been interested in making films for several years now, but it wasn't until I started attending school that I realized how little I knew. After the video and audio classes I took, I have been able to apply my newfound knowledge to three community service projects for churches I am in connection with. At my church in Troy, NY, I have been able to run a soundboard during the musical portion of their Wednesday night College Outreach program, named "Compelled". Without the audio class I had just finished taking, I would not have been as qualified to aid with this program. As of right now, I have been able to use my new video skills to do two separate projects in my home church and my brother's church, with a third movie in the works. I hope to continue to learn do these projects as the years go by, and without the experience I gained through this past semester, it would not have been possible.

nils

My college experience has been very valuable for several reasons. Firstly, it has taught me a lot about taking care of my possessions and maintaining my health without any supervision. I have learned much about the value of keeping organized and keeping track of everything that is going on. More importantly, I have learned a lot about the value of working hard. After finishing high school with a minimum amount of work, I thought I could continue on in the same way at college. I was horribly wrong. Because of that, not only am I stuck having to retake my most hated class, but I also am not eligible for the majority of scholarships because of my GPA. If I had just done all of my work the first time, i not only would have been free of my worst class, but I would also have been able to apply for more scholarships and lighten the financial burden of attending college. These very immediate effects have taught me a lot about the valuabe nature of hard work and I will definitely not be repeating these same mistakes next semester.

The best thing about RPI is definitely that everone has a very similar mindset. Most everyone is technologically inclined and slightly nerdy. There are those who deviate, but if you're the type to consider this kind of school you will probably have no trouble fitting in. Wheras in high school there were only a few "Techies" at RPI the majority of students fit in this category.

Since the school is primarily science and engineering students, a person interested in liberal arts will find it much more difficult to fit in and will generally find a lower variety of classes offered and will probably have to take other math and science related courses that they are not interested in. Anyone with an interest in liberal arts should probably look elsewhere.

My school has an ratio of girls to guys of 3 to 1. It is a tech savy school, where you will find the most interesting personalities with a broad range of backgroud and ideas. I love the diversity.

I enjoy that it is a tech savy school. It keeps me updated on what topics there are to research. The ratio is also amusing.

In my college experience, I have learned way more than I expected. Subjects that I once found dull are now interesting. Different classes are helping me find what I'm passionate about, thus helping me choose my career. The importance of time management and prioritizing have also solidified with college. College not only gives you the experience and knowledge you need for different careers, but also is an exciting ,new environment to meet people. Just being able to be merged in with people from different backgrounds is an eye opener to what there is yet to learn. It makes you aware of the different opportunities that are available. It is a work load and a hefty amount of money to pay, but what you learn and experience makes it all worth it.

Krista

I have learned to appreciate my parents a lot for all their help and financial support allowing me to go to such a great school. I think the "college experience" is something everyone should participate in; it differs from high school so greatly and people really become adults here and learn how to act and behave in the real world. I still have four years left of school and I'm already planning for my future and I appreciate that college has beaten this work ethic and motivation into me.

I love the Green Building, which is where we take all our classes for architecture. All the students in the School of Architecture spend so much time in the Green Building that we really become comfortable with each other like a family with 200 people. I love that we spend so much time in such tight quarters because we learn to have fun with each other which makes late nights no problem.

It's difficult fitting in here for a lot of people. I would recommend people who are used to snowy weather and don't mind going to a school with mostly male population and almost everyone is an engineer. It's definitely a great place for unique people who may not have fit in perfectly in high school. Everyone is bound to find friends here, and the Greek system makes it possible for really social people to be comfortable as well.

Kyle

I started off at a community college with a completely different major than what I'm planning to transfer into Point Park University with. I plan to major in Technical Theater and Design. My first year at the community college is still valuable to me because I was able to get my feet wet in the college class room before moving on to the university. I know now what to expect when I get there.

Mackenzie

Most of my classmates are on the nerdy side--result of going to a tech school, but their tech-savviness is convenient--and it's so easy to make friends; of course, there are many socially awkward people here, but that makes it all the more simple to find people with equal interests as you (there are plenty of people trying to make friends who understand them), so it's really nice--but they sure can throw decent parties.

I've learned that it is extremely difficult to live with so many people my age, all with similar interests to mine, and find enough time to sleep. But I've also found that it's rewarding being able to collaborate with others who may or may not know things I don't, being able to boince around ideas for projects, and being able to gather tons of people to play a massive game of spoons on a Saturday night (one of the most fun, if not rewarding, experiences so far). All in all, college is a blast. And we get a hint of the real-world (what with the tuition fees to pay, as well as the on-campus job opportunities that most of us take).

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.