Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Andrew P

I would have told myself to get a job earlier in life. RIT was a perfect fit for my college experience and I enjoy the challenge, however, I don't enjoy how challenging it is to try to make enough money to pay for the tuition. I have many college/innovation related projects I would like to work on during summer, but I find myself consumed by working and earning money. If I had made enough money prior to college I would be able to work on these projects and have more time to do personal research. On the other hand I am glad I can't go back in time and tell myself to get a job earlier. If I had a job earlier I feel like I would have wasted my childhood. The only thing I could confidently tell my past self is that I am on the right track and that I should fill out more scholarships.

someone who is hardworking and creative. RIT advances creativity and innovation, however its a tough school and you will have trouble if you cant stay focused on the homework you need to get done

RIT has a very involved community and offers a lot of clubs and activities for people attending, both artistic, physical, and academic

Daneda

I can't fully answer this, and am sure it will change once I'm there, but the campus, while large, is friendly. The amenities are amazing, and the ceramic program blows my mind. The reputation of the school is invaluable: when I announce that I have been accepted to RIT, everyone is proud of me and has a very positive reaction. I met two instructors I will work with closely, and have high hopes for a promising mentorship and friendship. I am excited and feel privileged to be attending RIT in the fall.

Just do it. The transition is not easy; college is nothing like high school. This is for the better in the end, but is a somewhat traumatic adjustment at times. You will be responsible for you - not a parent, a guidance counselor or your friends. You will make poor decisions, you will try classes you hate, you will explore options you never wanted to. Still, just do it. You will learn to become responsible for yourself. You will learn to make better decisions. You will learn to know yourself better through the classes you hate and the ones you love. You will find passions in learning you never knew could possibly exist. The friends you make with fellow classmates and with professors will be invaluable and lifelong. For all the tough times, there will be times you exult in the glory of your successes and the following through of your goals. You will learn that you can do almost anything. Remember, though, through all of this to mind your grades! In that class you hate, in the one you love- your grades matter for your future success.. Keep them up, even when you want to give up. Just do it.

Dylan

Rochester Institute of Technology is known for thier co-op program, and career fair. This career fair allows people to meet hundreds of companies and apply for an interview, providing many opertunites for future employment.

I love the intellectual atmosphere, people are intelligent here, but still are adverse to the people around them.

Given the opportunity to give my past self advice about adjusting to college life, I would start by telling myself to enjoy dorm life the best you can. Although somerthings can be an annoyance, you will never forget the memories of living there. Although a 4.0 is important, building unforgettable memories with life time friends will be more important. Once you have found your best friends do not hesitate, make a point of living with them. In general do not hesitate, make new friends and do not be afraid to be active around campus. You will have the most fun if you live life and do new things, cause the atmosphere and your attitude will affect your grades as well. I let school get ahead of life second year and my grades suffered any ways because of this.

Sarathi

I would tell myself to not worry about what others think of me; that I should just be myself and join fun groups of people with whom I share similar interests. I would also tell myself how important it is to get school work done earlier rather than later. Having assignments finished allows me to rest my mind and not stress out about all the work I have to do. Another big thing I would have liked to know is how important it is to ask quesitons in class. Even if it seems like it might not be worth it, it definitely allows me to gain a better understanding of the material and remove any doubts that I may have. Finally, the most important piece of advice that I would give my past self is that I should enjoy what I am doing at every moment of my university life, because it flies by quickly and will be over before I know it. This time has given me some of my best experiences so far, and I don't want that to be over before I get a chance to enjoy it.

I wish I knew how fun it was to get involved with clubs and social groups on campus so I could have done it sooner. It is an amazing experience and a great way to make new friends.

Using the student website for enrolling in classes. It is very difficult and tedious to use and becomes very annoying very quickly.

RIT will prepare you to work in the real world and will help you develop a network with companies within your field of study across the nation.

Attend RIT and declare Packaging Science as your major from day one and get involved early. I originally went to RIT for Civil Engineering Technology and it wasn't until late in my first year of attending that I decided to switch to the Packaging Sciecne major. With that being said I took a few classes that were not necessarily beneficial to my future packaging career. As to my second point of getting involved early, it is essential to meet professors as well as other packaging professionals outside of the classes you are taking. You are also surrounded by peers with similar interests that lead to long lasting friendships. I entered my first packaging competition this Spring with a group of two other students. We are now good friends who may look to work together in the future and we have also developed an outside the classroom relationship with one of our adjunct professors who has a huge network outside of RIT since he still has a packaging professional day job. I look forward to participating more outside of the classroom to further expose myself to packaging experiences as well as expanding my professional network,

Noah

Engineering and artists. A good majority of the students there are getting an art degree or an engineering degree.

The groups of people you can meet and hang out with there is someone there for everyone to get along with and enjoy.

Try to do everything at least once and just be yourself.

Eunice

What I brag about the most is the weather it is always either cold or cool and not many hot days. Another thing I brag about is the events that happen on campus. For example, Tora-con, springfest, and frezzefest.

I would tell myself that time mangement is extremely nessesary. I would also tell myself that I should schedule my classes all together try not to have breaks in between or not to have 3 hour breaks between classes. Another thing that I would tell myself is to look for a job on campus before you get to campus because by the time you get there there will be no more good jobs left. Another thing i would tell myself is that i should really enjoy my time there and try not to stay locked up inside so much. Join clubs that make me try something new and also join clubs that make me comfortable like the clubs that focus on the latin culture.

I wish I would have known how much I would need a car to get to places that are off campus or even the bookstore.

Andrew

I wish I had known how cold Rochester was! After this, I'll be moving south, permanently.

Stop short changing yourself! Do not enroll in an art school! You have always wanted to be a scientist and understand the world around you! Why are you suddenly changing your mind? You don't think you're good enough? You've never seen or heard of a gay scientist before? Trust me, there are dozens! Some work for NASA or the CDC or companies you haven't even heard of yet! This does not make you inferior in anyway! You are smarter than you think! Trust me, I know. You need to have confidence in yourself! If you go to art school, you'll do great but you'll be unsatisfied...trust me, I know. You'll know that you can push yourself harder and do more...trust me, I know. You'll transfer schools, which will require many more years. Once you develop confidence in yourself, you will constantly be pushing yourself further and never settle for the mediocrity that you know now. You will realize that you can be the role model that you almost found too late...trust me, I know.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the resources for deciding what career you want. RIT is extremely career focused but that can actually harm students who are not entirely sure what they want to do with their lives. It would be nice to have more resources to explore more career options.

Kayland

Kayland, I know that you are nervous about making this transition to college, and you are not sure what to do yet. Let me tell you, everything will work out alright. The best decision you could make is going to community college like your mom wants, you can always transfer after 1 year. Community college is still fun, and lets face it, you are not ready to be on your own. I promise you will be ready after one year of communiy college though. Whoever said community was like high school was wrong, you will have a blast and there are a ton of campus activities. Have faith in the education you recieved, you are definitely prepared for college. You are going to have more freedom, and you're going to have to grow up a lot. I know it all seems to scary, but you are prepared. Remember to put your school work first, and your socializing second. Remember, you can do anything you set your mind to and the best days have yet to come. Do not dwell in the past with bitterness, because you will miss the blessings in front of you! You can do it!

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.