Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Andrew

I wish I had known how cold Rochester was! After this, I'll be moving south, permanently.

Stop short changing yourself! Do not enroll in an art school! You have always wanted to be a scientist and understand the world around you! Why are you suddenly changing your mind? You don't think you're good enough? You've never seen or heard of a gay scientist before? Trust me, there are dozens! Some work for NASA or the CDC or companies you haven't even heard of yet! This does not make you inferior in anyway! You are smarter than you think! Trust me, I know. You need to have confidence in yourself! If you go to art school, you'll do great but you'll be unsatisfied...trust me, I know. You'll know that you can push yourself harder and do more...trust me, I know. You'll transfer schools, which will require many more years. Once you develop confidence in yourself, you will constantly be pushing yourself further and never settle for the mediocrity that you know now. You will realize that you can be the role model that you almost found too late...trust me, I know.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the resources for deciding what career you want. RIT is extremely career focused but that can actually harm students who are not entirely sure what they want to do with their lives. It would be nice to have more resources to explore more career options.

Kayland

Kayland, I know that you are nervous about making this transition to college, and you are not sure what to do yet. Let me tell you, everything will work out alright. The best decision you could make is going to community college like your mom wants, you can always transfer after 1 year. Community college is still fun, and lets face it, you are not ready to be on your own. I promise you will be ready after one year of communiy college though. Whoever said community was like high school was wrong, you will have a blast and there are a ton of campus activities. Have faith in the education you recieved, you are definitely prepared for college. You are going to have more freedom, and you're going to have to grow up a lot. I know it all seems to scary, but you are prepared. Remember to put your school work first, and your socializing second. Remember, you can do anything you set your mind to and the best days have yet to come. Do not dwell in the past with bitterness, because you will miss the blessings in front of you! You can do it!

Sibyl

I would tell myself to not be afraid of filling out paperwork and going for scholarships, grants, and financial aid. I woud tell myself to talk to an academic counselor for help in these areas and to find short cuts and smart choices in classes, and I would tell myself to do as much schooling as possible until you get to where you feel you belong. Going back to school later in life is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT! The transistion is not to hard from high school to college if you have honed note taking skills in high school and a good work ethic, so I would advise developing these qualities and skills.

This school is best known for their men's hockey games. They are so exciting - even if you were never into hockey before attending college. This school is also known for their fantastic career fair and commitment to helping students find jobs related to their fields. The technology provided across campus is the best I have ever seen and there is a team available to help students individually fix their computers if need be.

This school is very intimidating at first. But at orientation and the club fair, explore! Don't be afraid to walk up to a random person and ask about a club, or where a classroom is. Being a lady on campus will work in your favor in this male dominated school, so be courageous! Go take advantage of the free tutoring center if you get stuck on a problem; it does not mean your stupid, it means you are strong enough to ask for help and smart enough to look to others that may know a bit more than you. Walk into the latin dance club with confidence! Do not shy away when a man asks you to dance, smile and run with it, no matter how many times you step on his feet. And on those first few nights when you are feeling lonely, call your mom. Cry and talk about your big classes and new experiences. She will listen and help you realize that this new phase of your life is an opportunity for growth and discovery, not a miserable sentence into the unknown.

A person that likes small, quiet classes with a very calm atmosphere would most likely not enjoy this college. If a person likes to be alone and spend their time indoors, they probably will not appreciate all that RIT has to offer.

Dustin

The CIAS students are very nice and are always offering up advice for us underclassmen so we don't make the same mistakes they did.

It is one of the most prestigious schools in the country, and the program I am in which is Industrial Design is ranked #3 in the U.S. Also we are a co-op school and our job placement for all our majors is at least 90% most of the time it is around 98% though. That what I love to brag about

First off I would tell myself to be less nervous about making new friends because everyone is new and are looking for friends. Second I would tell my senior self to be more relaxed and go with the flow! Thats how one has good times with their new friends. Also a big thing is the workload, at RIT we are know for having a crazy amount of homework, so I would tell myself that you can absolutely not procrastinate. If you do procrastinate it is almost impossible to catch up. Another thing, go try new things! your in college, now is the time to try something you have always wanted to do. Don't just be boring and do something you have done for your whole life or nothing at all. Get involved with different clubs, meet new people, try new things, and have fun. That is what I would tell my senior self if I had the chance. Oh and get an alarm clock that works, those 8ams are tough and you definitely do NOT want to be late.

Chris

Bricks and wind tunnels, but the school is great.

Bricks and wind tunnels, but the school is great.

I would tell myself to not procrastinate, because it's something that i tended to do. Don't be concerned about liking the college or having to make new friends because everything works out. Make sure that you hang out with your friends more, but don't slack on school by doing that. Also get a little more organized, because your backpack and notebooks are a mess. Try to be a little more outgoing, because people in college are a lot less judgemental than those in high school. Above all, know that you will find what you want to do with your life, so don't stress out about it.

Benjamin

Technology, Engineering, and Photography.

Technology, Engineering, and Photography.

College is going to be great, but you know that already. Everyone will seem to be better than you at your major at first glance, but you're going to blw them out of the water. RIT is an amazing place, and you will fall in love. However, you will do a few stupid things. First of all, don't spend all your money on magic. Otherwise you'll spend $200 before you get your $30 card. Don't brush off your archaeology assignments; you barely squeak by with a B. Other than that, study for your philosophy exams. they make or break your grade. That's pretty much all you need to know. Go out there and have a blast!

elizabeth

There is a great mix of students at RIT so there is something for everyone. We have the great engineering programs but we also have really good interior and graphic design and photography programs. This really gives the school a nice mix of right and left brain thinkers, which leads to a lot of innovation and diversity that most schools dont have. It also gives us a little bit of everything in the social aspects of the school as well. We have clubs that go from ballroom dance to rubiks cube club, sporting events and robotic tournements.

Get a wide base of knowledge outside of what you want to study as your major in college. When I was in high school I was so focused on taking classes that went towards my future in college, I missed out on so many other things that I could have taken. Now that I am in college all of the classes that I took in high school like AP Biology and AP Chemistry don't count because they are a part of my major and my school requires me to take them through the college. I am now basically retaking courses that I took in high school. I really wish I would have used that time in high school to take other things I wont have time to take in college, for example more physics and art classes. Also, really work on your writing skills, you will need them for every class you take in college and will make your life so much easier later on.

Someone who has a hard time steping out of their shell to find friends and things to do. RIT is a great school with something for everyone and there are lots of people with all kinds of interests. However you wont be forced to be social so if you have a hard time going out there and finding things RIT may not be for you

Mary

I would tell myself to study hard. I can do anyting that I set my mind to. I need to go to college as soon as I get out of High School instead of starting a family. If I was to go ahead and start a family, I still need to go to college because without an education, it is hard to have a great paying job. Do not worry about anything that happens in High School because when High School is over, real life begins, and the stuff that happened does not matter anymore. Life is to short to worry about things that don't matter and work hard on things that does matter. A good education will be the only thing that will take you where you want to go.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.