Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Yekaterina

College life will be drastically different. Yes, you will enjoy your newfound freedom, but you will also need to learn to control it. Don't get discouraged when you feel that you're surrounded by insensitive, ignorant, or just misunderstanding people. Just wait, in college you'll become a part of a big family, each member of which will be ready to back you up, listen to your concerns, and give you sincere, helpful criticism when you need it. Enjoy the landscape of your backyard as much as you possibly can, because, no matter what you may think now, you will miss it once it's gone. Play with your little brother; pet your cat. You'll miss it all more than you're willing to admit, but you won't have the time or the money to go back and visit until the break. Sit down and have a serious talk with yourself; take the time to establish, in your head or on paper, your strengths and weaknesses, your material and mental limitations, your dignity, self-respect, your goals. Most of all, please understand that the present stage of your life will be over soon. You will change accordingly.

The best thing about RIT is how much it prepares its students for life after college. The four to six years we spend here are meant to teach us what we need to know to survive on our own and lead independent lives. RIT's Co-op programs and internships allow the students to start making connections within their future areas of work before they actually have to pay bills and raise families. Graduates here have a higher chance of finding work fast than the graduates of the majority of other colleges.

This school is a self-contained universe, located in a small town between huge, sprawled-out shopping plazas, and as such includes anything students may wish for within its confines: wide variety of food, necessary household items, ATM’s, labs, coffee shops, and so on. It was made for maximum convenience. However, it also blocks off everyone inside from everything outside. After all, most of us here do not have cars or nearby family. The most frustrating thing about RIT is its protective confinement and its obscure location. It is a piece of the world not integrated with the world.

Matthew

RIT engages and motivates students through stimulating and collaborative experiences.

My biggest concern is the cost of attending and the financial hardship that I will face upon the completion of my education.

We all discover things about ourselves as we age and grow. But in high school, I didn't have a clue. If I could give my 17 year-old self some advice, I'd tell myself to chase after whims so long as I knew for sure that I wasn't running away from hard work or a valuable lesson by doing so. I'd tell myself to be friendly and try new things. I'd tell myself that there would be plenty of time to follow the pack. If I were back in high school, I would make it my first priority to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. I would tell myself that what you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do.

Ayushma

Every campuses have their own uniqueness. For RIT, I would say the beautiful brick buildings resembles it.

When I was a high school senior, I had only been in the United States for 2 years. I am originally from Nepal who moved to the states for better education. So as a senior, I did not know anything about American college life. If I could go back in time, I would have told myself what to expect on college. In the last one year, I have realized that college life is exciting but can also be stressful at times. I would tell myself to prepare to work hard. I would share my stories from first year when I volunteered for the clubs I was a part of and also about the kinds of work to expect in each class. I would definitely tell myself to stay organized and finish work on time because it is really hard to catch up with stuffs once behind. Although I have only finished a year on this college, I know I made a right decision by coming here. I have learned something new every day and made really good friends. Going back in time I would share my story with myself so that I could know what to look forward to.

There are many things that I like about RIT. However, the best being the professors on campus. They are very friendly and always there to help you. Despite the lecture and office hours, most professors are ready to make adjustments according to our schedule and are also available through emails most of the time.

Larry

RIT is an excellent college based in Rochester, NY which has been growing in leaps and bounds. The school is continuously showing improvement year after year by adding new facilities, addressing concerns, and keeping it's faculty at the top of their game. And thanks to the schools co-op program I was able to get the job experience I needed to get a job at Kodak and a competitive wage right out of college, in a struggling economy. And even after I've accepted the job I'm still getting emails to come in for interviews months after accepting the job.

RIT students come from diverse backgrounds from all over the country and the world, because this is a tech school most students are tech savy at some extent. The male female ratio is getting better especially as the school has been expanding and is becoming more diverse in it's offering's of different majors. The students that typically get involved in the school spirited sports and activities are usually more social and happier, the students that don't are typically more reclusive.

Diana

Rochester Institue of Technology compared to other school which I consider that my schools is helpful and eduation high level and help deaf and hard of hearing to guaduated college. Rochester Institute Technology is oppunities for Deaf and hard of hearing. My opinion that the student of Deaf and hard of hearing will have a lot of oppunities from Rochester Institute Technology. My school have alot of classes of acamdeny, sports, and socialize, and activity. The student will learn a lot from my school.

I have frustrating thing about my school is alot of classes on tuesdays and thursdays. Same time, the time goes fast by also. I rather time goes slow by. I could have time to do homework or study. Sometime, teacher use sign language which I dont understand. I need teacher use american sign language so I could understand. However, I am doing so well anyway while i can patient to finish taken that require courses.

I was high school senior year, I was forward looking Rochsester Institute Technology accept me for fall 2010. I filled Rochester Institute Technology's application on January 2010. On feburary, My meeting was first for senior trasnsiton to college. I choice rochester institute technology. I have planned for it. Vocational Rehbitiliton was my counselor for planned which i will go to college. I alway choice is Rochester Institute Technology in my life. I want to go there while i am away from my family. I have still my goal in the future. I wanted to make it enter college. However, my VR conuselor refused to support me for school because it is too expensive school's expense. I had to fill an application of student loans to pay my school's expense. After I graduated from high school, I was excited and nervous to see the real world. I felt that I wasn't ready for college. however, I made it throught a year in Rochester Institute Technology. I was happy that I am student of Rochester Institute Technology.

Kevin

My major, Imaging Science. There is no other college in the US that allows students to get undergraduate degrees in Imaging Science. This multidisciplinary major combines elements of physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, and mathematics to build functioning imaging systems. Rather than be involved in just one part of a system, Imaging Scientists are designers of complete imaging systems and technology. The major is quickly expanding, and Imaging Scientists are in high demand.

Just over a year ago, I received my high school diploma along with 64 other seniors at a small St. Louis high school. I felt like I knew everybody there, both faculty and students. Many people there knew me on a personal level, and it was very comforting to walk through crowds of people who were friendly with me. That fall, my collge education took me to the Rochester Institute of Technology, a large school home to some 14,000 undergraduate students. I knew nobody there upon my arrival, and I was confronted with thousands of people with whom I was completely unfamiliar. Complicating matters was a feeling of shyness towards people who seemed like complete strangers. Had my present-day self been there to advise me in my earliest weeks at RIT, I would have told myself to be personal and outgoing. If I remained shy, those thousands of nameless faces would likely remain that way. It takes effort on my part to meet the nameless faces of my college, to become an acquaintance, to become a friend. Be outgoing! Say hello, ask people how their day is going, and become one less nameless person for others at college.

Someone who doesn't mind being around some rather strange, sometimes socially-awkward people. The biggest majors here are computer-related - game design, computer science, computer engineering, etc. There is an unusually high number of people who spend far too much time behind a computer screen and not enough time outside or talking to real people. Also, speaking of "outside", it is really cold here during the school year. However, if you decide to stick around and do research on campus for the summer, you will be rewarded by mild summer temperatures and excellent weather.

If I could get a chance to go back in time to talk to myself when I was in high school I would tell myself to make school number priority, because in this country education is the most important thing, and the people who have college degree make twice or even more than high school graduate. I would also tell myself, that college is not like high school in so many different ways. Professors in college care about you, but they only care if you put effort in the class. They will not hunt you down and call your parents like high school teachers do, if you don’t want to go to class you don’t have to show up but your grade will suffer and remember your paying for the college education, and the most important thing is time management.

John

I dont know from experiance anything in particular because I have not atteneded RIT yet.

School can be fun, you can make allot of friends and have a good time, but really its about what you carry away from a school that matters. What knowledge and skills will you be able to call your own when you graduate with your degree? Will you have grown as much as you could have? These are the questions students graduating from highschool need to ask themselves. There arnt any parents to chase you to do your homework or teachers who get on your case so that you can pass. College is not highschool, you are in college because you want an education, it may become really difficult at times but what an individual makes of an experiance can determine the direction of the rest of thier life.

People who dont take college education serious.

William

They are interesting and good people.

They are interesting and good people.

I would advise myself to branch out more in my freshman year and try new things. Also pick the major I'm in now so I would be on track and not behind.

The best thing about my school are the facilitied available to us. We have some of the top of the line equipment at our disposal.

Renee

If I were afforded the opportunity to know what I know now about college life and making the transition the advice I would extend to myself would go as follows. Dear college student, I wanted to encourage you that you need to take college life seriously. Make your self informed on the new student orientation and how things work and where services are that are available to you as a new student. Apply yourself in all subject matter now even more so than you did in high school. Get acquainted with working in a team work atmosphere with people form all walks of life and diverse backgrounds. Take advantage of small classroom settings. Never be afraid to ask questions and get help. Rather it be online, in the library, by your fellow classmates, your professor, or outside resources. College is an opportunity to obtain and education and should not ever be taken for granted. Therefore, do your best and achieve the success that awaits you as you begin a new journey of learning independence and a career goal that will transform your life forever. Best wishes new student.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.