Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Jonathan

RIT has a particularly neat culture, primarily being based around "nerd culture", as indicated by RIT having its very own anime convention. The peope are also particularly different when compared to other schools. Finally, it is very career oriented, particularly in engineering and the sciences.

I would tell myself a number of things! First, don't be afraid to put yourself into awkward social situations. People in college will be among the most interesting that you will ever meet. But don't be too eager to cling to everyone you meet. That’s an easy way to end up with bad friends. Work on maintaining a regular sleep schedule. Yes, this will be frustrating and boring, but it will pay off in an improved GPA and in not feeling terrible all the time. Get a head start on classes with essays and projects that you know are coming. Make sure that you really do this, because it's way too easy just to let time pss, or to spend it on the internet’s many wonders. Finally, LEARN TO RELAX. Stress eats at you from the inside and does more harm than good. Do your best while staying calm. Give time to yourself even when you’re busy. Leisure time that reduces stress and makes you more effective is incredibly valuable. It’s all in the balance, and in a way, that is what college is about, learning to balance all the challenges and opportunities.

Driven, career-oriented people interested in the hard sciences and driven liberal arts students who recieve large scholarships and who are interested in doing hands-on research.

Caitlin

Considering that I'm very happy with my college experience, the worst thing about RIT for myself isn't necessarily related to the college itself. Although there are plenty of events on campus to keep you busy, it isn't really located in a "college town". If your looking for something else to do during the week, you become pretty limited, as RIT is actually located in West Henrietta (just outside of the city). Buses do go to the mall on the weekends, but it really would be nice to have a college town environment surrounding campus.

For RIT, it's difficult to choose just one thing. I orginally chose to attend for the plentiful amount of opportunities and high degree of career orientation. With career fairs, co-ops, and so many established connections with RIT's profound name and many well-known companies, I am confident I'll be prepared for the "real world". However, from just being at RIT for a semester, I've become so thankful for the diversity of the people and cultures I've been exposed to. From international students, to becoming acquainted with deaf culture, it really is an enriching experience.

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.” Benjamin Mee's words quickly became my go-to favorite quote for every senior information sheet I filled out in high school. Every. Single. One. What began as an "inspirational quote" search on Google resulted in a revelation, a realization that I'd spent more time worrying about what I did than doing. I didn't join the track team till senior year (worrying it would be too stressful), only to have an extremely positive experience. My coach thought I would've been one of the best on the team if I had only started earlier, and the regret hit me. I was talented, had fun, and didn't know it was possible, all because I never took the opportunity when I first saw it. It was always the most difficult decisions that made me a better person and widened my horizons for the future. I wish I could say only two words to myself as a senior: "Do it," because that's all I'd ever need to hear.

Gia

They are interesting people.

They are interesting people.

It is important to not slack off while in college. Remember, you need to treat this like a full time job because college is a lot of money. There is not enough time in the world to balance equally friends and schoolwork, but somehow you will find a way. Notice when you need help and actually get help. Finally, remember to get enough sleep and be the bigger person and flush down the gigantic turds left in the toilet to do everyone else a favor.

I wish I had known the actual atmosphere of the campus when I took a tour of the campus. I would have chosen to do early decision instead of regular decision.

That photo tech class that I did not want to take. It turned out I learned more than anymore could of every thought.

WORK YOUR BUTT OFF!!! In my last year or photo class, I got lazy because I got into eight colleges so I did not shoot as much and I really with that I pushed myself more.

I am a photo major, I was told that where would be no math; week one I got a warm welcome to photo tech.

Julia

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Required co-ops are really, really helpful, and the hockey games are great.

Don’t panic. Douglas Adams wrote it, forever inscribing it onto the cover of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. If I had the chance to give my younger self advice about the foreboding years of college ahead of me, I would probably tell myself to get that tattooed somewhere, preferably visible, so that I could remember. Don’t panic. Remember this when you meet your first roommate, at the wrong school, in the wrong major. Remember this when you feel homesick for the first time, and the second, and the third. Remember this when the hours of hard work you put into a project still don’t meet your expectations. Remember this when you’re struggling to make friends, when you feel alone. Don’t panic. I remembered this on my first day of orientation, at different school, at a different time, in a different major. I remembered this when I met my first friends. I remembered this when I thought about my first two years of college, how hard I struggled, how lost I felt. I remembered this when I realized those years had purpose, because I hadn’t yet known who I was. Don’t panic.

Linh

RIT is a career focused campus that puts importance on internships and work experience before graduation, in order to get students ready for their career of choice.

The best advice that I could give myself is not to be afriad of going to the school that you truly want to go to. Keep in mind that you wlll be at that school for 4 years so do your research, go on the campus tour, talk to students at that school so you really know more about it. If you attend and you do not like the school, transfer as soon as you can to another school so that you can get the experience that you want. Do not settle with a school unless it is what you want. I would also tell myself that college is a learning experience so do not be afraid of the transition! While the transition may not be smooth, after the first month thing will be just fine so you just gotta get over that initial fear!

Commuters will not have too much of a social life since clubs are later in the day like during dinner time, which most commuters go home by then. The education here is also really expensive making it unaffordable for some students.

Iman

It has a very open environment. As soon as I visited the school and started attending classes, I felt as though I was welcomed from the very start by both teachers and students alike.

Sometimes the services that are provided are lacking. They aren't very accomodating when there are summer or intersession classes occuring, which makes it a problem for students.

I would tell myself to try and space out classes evenly throughout the four years I will be at RIT. I made the mistake of overloading my schedule this semester, and having a empty schedule my first year. I now utilize an agenda, and also a semester schedule that help in recording exam dates and projects. It's important to develop time management, as it helps to figure out day by day what needs to be done. This avoids procrastination, stress, and anxiety. It's important to give yourself a breather once and a while, my high school schedule was packed with clubs, sports, studies, and extra curricular activities. This is good because it kept me busy but I didn't have much of a social life outside of these activities. Most importanly, enjoy the life that was given to you, something that I took for granted. I have met very wonderful people that struggle much more than I do, they inspire me to push myself to the limit so that my friends and family can be proud of me and what I can accomplish.

BreAnn

I brag most to my friends about RIT for the constant activities and events always occuring at the Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm never bored or just sitting around with nothing to do. Along with my academic work, I have a healthy balance of social time with the variety of amazing people here on campus. I can easily try new things wether it be learning to sign in ASL, try sushi for the first time, or learn how to longboard, and I can easily do all of those things in just one day, at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to take more honors classes and broaden my horizon with the classes that might make me think differently. I would also let myself know that I can choose so many colleges to apply to, but when I do choose the right school I will now it in my gut. To be able to tell myself as a senior to not stress about the little things because I can honestly say, I did. I would like to let myself know that I will have so many opportunites in the future that will make me think so differently, so I should stop shutting the new things out and accept them with an open mind. I would tell myself that I should learn more languages in my senior year at least to make myself more diverse. Another thing I would say, would be is to just be as happy as I can that it is senior year and take full advantage of all of the amazing activities at my high school, and to worry about college a little less than I did, and be more excited for my future as a psychologist one day.

The worst thing to me about the Rochester Institute of Technology is the amount of walking everywhere. But, I came from an area that was very distant from stores and restaurants, so it was hard for me to adjust to the difference. Here, at RIT, you have to walk quite a ways to certain areas on campus, but when you do find new places it is so exciting. I learned my very first month at RIT that there is a lot of distance from the dorms to the academic side of campus, but I have gotten used to it now.

Calvin

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

Dear Calvin of Year 2012, I am you from the future. What I'm about to tell you is most likely advice and instructions you've been subjected to for the last few months of your high school senior career and you're probably really fed up by now with hearing it over and over again, but heed my words, anyway. I'm you, so I know you can take the tie to hear it one more time. Please don't procrastinate on the things that need to be done before transferring to a new college. Fill out those health forms as soon as possible. Get those shots as soon as possible. Apply for grants and loans as soon as possible. I know that you have a problem with waiting until the last second to get things done, but this just has to stop NOW. Not only will you be a better person, but you will save yourself so much heart-ache and stress. Procrastination doesn't only affect you, but it can affect the people around you as well. I know you've been making some strides to breaking this bad habit, but now it's time to change.

This will be my first semester at RIT, so I haven't actually been on campus for class-related reasons. I've have been on campus, however, for other purposes. Despite of that, there is one thing that's very frustrating: the amount of websites and pages that you're required to use. Compared to my community college that I attended for the past two years and their website, the websites and pages of RIT that students are expected to use are less streamlined and more confusing.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.