Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Calvin

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

Dear Calvin of Year 2012, I am you from the future. What I'm about to tell you is most likely advice and instructions you've been subjected to for the last few months of your high school senior career and you're probably really fed up by now with hearing it over and over again, but heed my words, anyway. I'm you, so I know you can take the tie to hear it one more time. Please don't procrastinate on the things that need to be done before transferring to a new college. Fill out those health forms as soon as possible. Get those shots as soon as possible. Apply for grants and loans as soon as possible. I know that you have a problem with waiting until the last second to get things done, but this just has to stop NOW. Not only will you be a better person, but you will save yourself so much heart-ache and stress. Procrastination doesn't only affect you, but it can affect the people around you as well. I know you've been making some strides to breaking this bad habit, but now it's time to change.

This will be my first semester at RIT, so I haven't actually been on campus for class-related reasons. I've have been on campus, however, for other purposes. Despite of that, there is one thing that's very frustrating: the amount of websites and pages that you're required to use. Compared to my community college that I attended for the past two years and their website, the websites and pages of RIT that students are expected to use are less streamlined and more confusing.

Scarlet

Most of my classmates tend to keep to themselves or circle of friends.

Most of my classmates tend to keep to themselves or circle of friends.

Look for more scholarships to apply to. You are very busy senior year since you took hard instead of easy ones. The debt will start to be a burden especially since you are thinking of going to medical school. Also, don't let other people affect you. There will always be someone smart, but it's not about beating other people, it's about surpassing yourself. Be the best that you can be.

The best thing about my school is that you don't have to struggle in silence. You can get the help that you need atleast academically.

Zachary

This is a school with very strong job placement and a great co-op program, as well as a great place for people of many different backgrounds to be able to work together.

Probably how liberal it feels at times. As a Bible-believing Christian, there are some approaches or focuses I don't agree with.

Actually, I'm not really sure if I could give any distinct advice. I was fairly well prepared for college, and the transition went smoothly. I also have done well in college, both personally and academically. I suppose the one piece of advice I would want to instill would be to keep proper focus on God first, and make sure to be bold in standing for Him, and for my wife.

Ian

I would have told my self to start applying for scholarships and grants much earlier. I would do that because college expensis are costly. Equipment that is need to be able to do the best job possible at Rochester Institute of Technology is expensive and if I had applied for these scholarships when I was still in high school I would not have needed to worry about having to pay for the equipment out of my own pocket. It would have been just one less financial burden that would have been taken care of and I actually kind of regret not doing this earlier just because of the financial burden that has been added to this transition into college.

The kind of person that should attend Rochester Institute of Technology should be a person who wants to know how to do their future job with the latest technology. Rochester Institute of Technology is a place where the technology is always changing and people learn exactly what they need to so that they will be succesful in the future at their job. This school also has co-op and internship opportunites so the students can go and apply what they have learned in a actuall work setting so students are set up well for the future .

So far I have not encountered anything too frustrating. How ever if I had to choose the most frustrating thing about the Rochester Institute of Technology is how late I recieved my class schedule. My freinds attending other universities recieved their class schedule weeks ahead of me and I did not know when I was supposed to recieve my schedule so I was just waiting for the university to send me my class schedule. That was really the most frustrating thing that I have seen so far at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Jeannette

A mix of people who have good heads on their shoulders that will be successful, some that are making some bad choices that can come back from them, and a few that won't be able to succeed with their current mindsets.

The best thing about this school is that there is such a diverse group of people. RIT is the only school I know where there are art students working side by side with engineers, and where classified geniuses form study groups with people that have learning disabilities. Some of the students here are so kind and helpful to each other, and I didn't expect it to be the case.

Dear me: First things first, dump your high school boyfriend. It happens anyways, but just get it over with sooner rather than letting drag through senior year. For college, don't stress about everything. You are not chained to the major you enter college with. It's okay to have second thoughts, and getting a degree isn't about what other people want. Make choices for yourself, and know that the people who truly care about you will be there to support you. Next, while money is important and necessary, don't work yourself to the bone and let your academics suffer. A way to alleviate some financial stress: apply for all the scholarships you can. Finally, just have fun. Go into it with an open mind, try to make as many great friends as you can, don't limit yourself to one social group. Oh, and during orientation, watch where you're walking to avoid a nasty incident with your ankle and a curb. Sincerely, Me

Andrew P

I would have told myself to get a job earlier in life. RIT was a perfect fit for my college experience and I enjoy the challenge, however, I don't enjoy how challenging it is to try to make enough money to pay for the tuition. I have many college/innovation related projects I would like to work on during summer, but I find myself consumed by working and earning money. If I had made enough money prior to college I would be able to work on these projects and have more time to do personal research. On the other hand I am glad I can't go back in time and tell myself to get a job earlier. If I had a job earlier I feel like I would have wasted my childhood. The only thing I could confidently tell my past self is that I am on the right track and that I should fill out more scholarships.

someone who is hardworking and creative. RIT advances creativity and innovation, however its a tough school and you will have trouble if you cant stay focused on the homework you need to get done

RIT has a very involved community and offers a lot of clubs and activities for people attending, both artistic, physical, and academic

Daneda

I can't fully answer this, and am sure it will change once I'm there, but the campus, while large, is friendly. The amenities are amazing, and the ceramic program blows my mind. The reputation of the school is invaluable: when I announce that I have been accepted to RIT, everyone is proud of me and has a very positive reaction. I met two instructors I will work with closely, and have high hopes for a promising mentorship and friendship. I am excited and feel privileged to be attending RIT in the fall.

Just do it. The transition is not easy; college is nothing like high school. This is for the better in the end, but is a somewhat traumatic adjustment at times. You will be responsible for you - not a parent, a guidance counselor or your friends. You will make poor decisions, you will try classes you hate, you will explore options you never wanted to. Still, just do it. You will learn to become responsible for yourself. You will learn to make better decisions. You will learn to know yourself better through the classes you hate and the ones you love. You will find passions in learning you never knew could possibly exist. The friends you make with fellow classmates and with professors will be invaluable and lifelong. For all the tough times, there will be times you exult in the glory of your successes and the following through of your goals. You will learn that you can do almost anything. Remember, though, through all of this to mind your grades! In that class you hate, in the one you love- your grades matter for your future success.. Keep them up, even when you want to give up. Just do it.

Dylan

Rochester Institute of Technology is known for thier co-op program, and career fair. This career fair allows people to meet hundreds of companies and apply for an interview, providing many opertunites for future employment.

I love the intellectual atmosphere, people are intelligent here, but still are adverse to the people around them.

Given the opportunity to give my past self advice about adjusting to college life, I would start by telling myself to enjoy dorm life the best you can. Although somerthings can be an annoyance, you will never forget the memories of living there. Although a 4.0 is important, building unforgettable memories with life time friends will be more important. Once you have found your best friends do not hesitate, make a point of living with them. In general do not hesitate, make new friends and do not be afraid to be active around campus. You will have the most fun if you live life and do new things, cause the atmosphere and your attitude will affect your grades as well. I let school get ahead of life second year and my grades suffered any ways because of this.

Sarathi

I would tell myself to not worry about what others think of me; that I should just be myself and join fun groups of people with whom I share similar interests. I would also tell myself how important it is to get school work done earlier rather than later. Having assignments finished allows me to rest my mind and not stress out about all the work I have to do. Another big thing I would have liked to know is how important it is to ask quesitons in class. Even if it seems like it might not be worth it, it definitely allows me to gain a better understanding of the material and remove any doubts that I may have. Finally, the most important piece of advice that I would give my past self is that I should enjoy what I am doing at every moment of my university life, because it flies by quickly and will be over before I know it. This time has given me some of my best experiences so far, and I don't want that to be over before I get a chance to enjoy it.

I wish I knew how fun it was to get involved with clubs and social groups on campus so I could have done it sooner. It is an amazing experience and a great way to make new friends.

Using the student website for enrolling in classes. It is very difficult and tedious to use and becomes very annoying very quickly.

RIT will prepare you to work in the real world and will help you develop a network with companies within your field of study across the nation.

Attend RIT and declare Packaging Science as your major from day one and get involved early. I originally went to RIT for Civil Engineering Technology and it wasn't until late in my first year of attending that I decided to switch to the Packaging Sciecne major. With that being said I took a few classes that were not necessarily beneficial to my future packaging career. As to my second point of getting involved early, it is essential to meet professors as well as other packaging professionals outside of the classes you are taking. You are also surrounded by peers with similar interests that lead to long lasting friendships. I entered my first packaging competition this Spring with a group of two other students. We are now good friends who may look to work together in the future and we have also developed an outside the classroom relationship with one of our adjunct professors who has a huge network outside of RIT since he still has a packaging professional day job. I look forward to participating more outside of the classroom to further expose myself to packaging experiences as well as expanding my professional network,

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.