Rutgers University-New Brunswick Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rutgers University-New Brunswick

Shreya

Rutgers was my top choice and being a scarlet knight has been one of the best decisions of my life. The number of opportunities here are crazy. There's something for everyone on campus. If one door closes, at Rutgers 1000 more are waiting to be opened.

Sonia

Its good but I feel that my tuition often goes to useless things and the culture of drinking and drugs has gotten really out of control. Everywhere you go, there are drinks, even for events in campus facilities which I really don't like. I think there is a time and place to drink and there is no regulation. the academics are challenging but that is good and there are many facilities that make life much easier such as printers all over as well as food places and places to just study.

Alex

This is a great school and campus. Maybe top 3 in the state. It has great housing, great food varieties, great athletics, academics, clubs. It has a lot of nearby shops and food restaurants. Lots of people, good social life. I like it, wish I can attend here, but my grades don't suffice.

Alexandra

It the Best! I never knew how lucky and privileged I am until I found myself in another school that lacks services and facilities due to the lack of funding. In Rutgers, you will never starve. You will never find yourself unable to study because of lack or libraries or computer labs. The schedule of every facility (food, library, gym, coffee shops, and cinemas) everything really works perfectly with the student's schedule. The classes challenge you to think, which its great if you want to feel useful and like you're learning. Rutgers is always on the loop, and the students always have a voice.

Rutgers University-New Brunswick is a place where everyone feels like a small fish in a big pond. The five campuses sprawl across New Brunswick and Piscataway, New Jersey, making it easy to get overwhelmed at the number of events happening every day. There is an abundance of ways to get involved and find your niche even if requires trial-and-error over the course of your first two years. Classes can range from 200-person lecture halls to intimate classroom settings with many professors who genuinely care about their students and make themselves available to reach out to. However, the bus system that takes students from campus to campus can become a hassle with long waiting times and overcrowded buses. This problem is exacerbated during exam week and rush hour, making it the single most pervasive issue of attending an institution such as Rutgers. The quality of food varies widely depending on the campus, but the culture of each campus makes the college interesting and a place where there are endless things to explore even if it lacks the appeal of cities such as New York or Boston. The stress of registering for classes that fill up quickly and having to pull your own weight in terms of navigating the college experience can become daunting in an institution of 30,000+ students. The relationships you foster with your professors, faculty, and advisors feel less personal unless you actively keep up with them since there are many students to keep track of. However, Rutgers teaches you discipline and independence in ways that other schools do not, which makes the experience worthwhile and pushes you to make your mark in the larger campus community.

Kain

Its a great institution that will definitely challenge you academically but also is great for entertainment and extracurriculars. Its essentially a small city of students all collaborating to learn and have a good time. It is a large school so congestion in the classrooms and on the streets is prevalent but all in all its a great collegiate institution.

Jordan

The best aspects of Rutgers are the research opportunities and extracurricular options. There are tons of labs in almost every field that you can volunteer in. There are also hundreds of clubs for pretty much every interest. Because Rutgers is such a huge school, it can be tough to orient yourself and you need to make sure you take advantage of the resources available.

Although many students don't have Rutgers in mind as a first choice, it is honestly a pretty good school. There are multiple opportunities and a diverse number majors to pick from. I really appreciate the diversity Rutgers has because it is like no other school. There are plenty of clubs to join and activities to try.

Jacqueline

As a current student living on-campus, I can always find something to complain about if I try. Occasionally, I find my self truly disgruntled with Rutgers University - New Brunswick concerning a particular professor, the glitchy technology, finances, or the bus system. Overall, the university is very well established with resources around every corner, and I am proud to be student.

Jewel

It is a vigorous school and an "A" will not come easy for hard classes such as STEM. Before attending Rutgers, I suggest for students to have a great study method and group because you will be up many late nights depending on your major. There is not much diversity, but every culture has its own community, and they are not hard to find. Rutgers is a great school, just be ready for the heat.

Ajaratu

As a school to school transfer, Rutgers New Brunswick is mostly new to me. I grew up in close proximity to the campus but I only recently discovered what its like. This campus has forced me out of my shell this summer. From the night life to the campus and online resources, there are many opportunities available! The size of the campus has been intimidating but once the semester starts I'm sure I will adjust easily.

QUADAYSHA

Rutgers university is a prestigious, research 1 school that I can say I very happy I chose to attend. I also feel that Rutgers hasn't always been what it is to the world now. Rutgers took a long time becoming the institution it is today and is still learning and growing. I believe that is what makes it better to attend because the school is getting better as time goes on. Aside from academic rigor, I believe that the students and faculty make it worthwhile. Upon graduation, I will be better equipped than most to deal with the diverse, ever- growing and evolving society we live in today.

Joshua

Rutgers University provides a phenomenal educational experience that is truly unparalleled. As a philosophy major, I was able to learn from internationally venerated academics whose contributions to the field were nothing less than staggering. Both the students and the professors are invested in scholarship and in preserving collegial integrity. The class sizes are relatively small, and the lectures are nonpareil. I cannot praise this university enough for all it has accomplished. That being said, I wholeheartedly recommend this Rutgers University to any serious, academically minded student.

Anhiella

I didn't want to go to Rutgers originally but now I'm really glad I did. I met some really amazing people, students and faculty. In a matter of months i went from being a girl that never saw herself doing research to a girl who is dying for her senior year to come just so she could do a research project.

SHYAM

Rutgers has been a great place to me. It is where I found my passions and is also the place where I found the activities that I really enjoy doing. There are all kinds of people here and you would be hard pressed to not find something to do. Overall Rutgers is a blessing in disguise to the many people who enroll here.

Keyla

I think jut like any other university, there are a lot of ups and downs. If you're a student who loves bigger and better university, this is your place. If you are more reserved and prefer smaller campuses, maybe it is not for you. Overall, schools and studies are taken very seriously here. And a positive note is that there are a lot of organizations to join and lots of staff to help you get by throughout your time here.

Nafis

The college has a great campus life. There are students all around the campuses and you will come into contact with people you know and don't know all the time. The food is average to decently good depending on which campus dining hall you eat. Professors always provide extra help and office hours when you may go ask questions to the professor, one on one.

Claudia

Rutgers University includes a lot of diversity and culture. Students from all over the world travel and study at Rutgers University due to it's demanding and rigorous academic majors. Rutgers is known to be inclusive and open to many different opinions. It is a large school, which allows many people to meet others rather easily. Though they may flaw in a few aspects in regard to financial aid or course necessity and applications, I personally think it's a great school to attend!

I am very impressed by the atmosphere of Rutgers New Brunswick. The campus itself and faculty/students are very inclusive, helpful, intellectually stimulating, friendly, welcoming etc. There are plenty of clubs and organizations, campus services, and areas of study to participate and take advantage of. The off campus scene is filled with restaurants, treat shops, and activities that undoubtedly show some school pride as well considering RU is a vast majority of New Brunswick. Due to its large size, you are also able to meet new people everyday and make tons of friendships/connections. I can say that I have honestly really enjoyed my time at Rutgers University and I am looking forward to the 3 years.

Amy

Its an overall good experience. You are able to explore so many different things, meet new people, and learn a lot about yourself. There are many opportunities provided--sports, clubs, recreational activities. The school spirit is always up and people are social. Be aware of the bussing system and getting RU screwed!!

If you come here only for the money, you won't be happy. I tried that, but ultimately this school wasn't the right fit. For some, Rutgers is home, but for me, it wasn't. It's a really big place, so be prepared to feel small for a little. Not everyone gets used to it, but if you're lucky you can get by.

H.

The financial aid department and administration make it impossible to contact someone or get help if you are an online/out of state student. You can try calling and leaving messages/emailing for months. Literally. They really don't seem to care at all. Additionally, despite the fact that the LIS program is ranked very high, online students' access to library resources and research help is completely lacking. I have professors recommending other libraries for our research. Such a shame considering that we pay the same as on-campus students, and deserve better service. I really like my courses and my professors, but I have not recommended Rutgers to anyone, because without good administration, financial aid, and library services, the experience is not worth the money.

THISSA

Rutgers was not my first choice university by any means, however, I think that it offers a wide variety of programs and extracurriculars. In my opinion, there is a club/organization/major for everyone. It is a very culturally diverse community, and I greatly appreciate the experience I have gained from getting the opportunity to interact with people from all over the world. While I think that being a large research institution has definite educational perks, I think that sometimes the classes are too large, and the professors don't always care enough. Like every school though, there are several professors who shine above others, and make class a joy. Overall, my experience at Rutgers has taught me to make the best of my situation, and to have an open mind. You might just end up enjoying your college career more than you initially thought.

Isa

Rutgers University is a huge university but it shouldn't hinder any one from applying. The university does well on helping their students find their niche. Hundred of clubs to fit every interest, and motivates student to leave their comfortable dorm to connect with students and the New Jersey community.

I sincerely believe that Rutgers is the most amazing and well rounded school in the country. There is seriously something for everyone! Rutgers has amazing sporting games, Greek Life, food, housing, academics, and clubs, among other things. Everyone is super friendly and openminded.

Iris

I was skeptical of Rutgers at first, my first major adjustment was the culture and people. Rutgers is a huge school and prides itself on diversity. However, depending on which school you attend and how involved on campus you are, you might fully experience this diversity or only get a small taste. Rutgers has definitely grown on me and I have met some amazing people, while also learning a lot inside and outside of the classroom. Stepping on campus might feel very overwhelming at first, but within a couple of months it definitely becomes a smaller community, in which there's so much to discover.

Anna

A Balloon, a Baseball, and a Bagel. What do those three things have in common? Almost nothing, except for the giant letter B and being objects. Being a student at Rutgers University means sharing the join of being a part of the giant letter R. That R will come to represent a multitude of NJ's interests, achievements, and people. It encampses a strong sense of athletic pride just as it encourages the diversity of the United States of America. Under one R, a student will found themselves with an insurmountable network of alumni as well as everyday activities. There is something for everyone at Rutgers University New Brunswick, one just has to be brave enough to get involved and try something new everyday to make Rutgers University be the R that you want it to be. No student is like the other, just as a balloon, baseball and bagel are not like each other but each still hold a valuable and functional purpose.

Eric

Rutgers is overall a nice school. A nice mixture of campus life and mini-city life. You'll find 1-2 professors to be good every semester on average if you're partaking in 5 classes as semester. On-campus housing isn't very nice and the lottery system is extremely random. I prefer to live off-campus has the selections are much wider and I have more control in where I want to live.

Sena

As an incoming freshman to Rutgers University, I think it is a great, safe place to attend college. I recently went to my overnight orientation days and am even more excited for school to start. There are an abundance of activities, volunteer options, extra curriculars, and all different types of classes to take to expand and broaden your education .

Oluwatosin

It's a excellent university for students who are going into the sciences. Most of the class sizes for your science courses will be huge, but the professors have good office hours, and even if you are not able to go during normal office hours, most professors will make time to see you.

Meaghan

There is never a dull moment at Rutgers. You can always find a party on the weekends, but there are also many ways to get involved on campus with tons of clubs. Many students enjoy being social, but a lot of the student body takes academics seriously as well.

Luis

Great school to get involved. There are hundreds of opportunities available for students to participate. From sports all the way to dance clubs, to Latin arts and many more. Facilities around campus are very diverse definitely a place to get out of your comfort zone. The school has 4 different campuses you will have a hard time adjusting at first but easy to get used to. Great scenarios. And a lot of fun all year around.

Jocentha

Rutgers is not a bad college. It has plenty of great extracurricular opportunities. There a places to get food on each campus and lots of shops and restaurants around to choose from. It has its share of crime, as with any college in a big city. We have something here called the RU Screw. It is just a collective reflection of how Rutgers sometimes makes thing unnecessarily difficult for it's students. This applies to things like a science class easier at other universities, trying to get credit for transfer courses, or even repeatedly getting a parking ticket for no reason.

Aaron

I believe that Rutgers University is a fantastic institution, and most definitely one of the best, if not the best college in New Jersey. Rutgers has such a high standing academically. with being part of the BIG 10, the students and faculty understand that not only the state, but really the Country as a whole has its eye on the University, and because of this pressure, I believe that the overall student and faculty feel that we always need to be on top of our game to compete with the other very known schools around the country. Rutgers is also very great when it comes to student diversity. Rutgers has so many students of different ethnicities and races, all coming together and living in one peaceful and safe environment. At Rutgers, I feel 100% safe, and at no point in my college career have I felt that my safety was going to be compromised in any way, shape or form. All around, Rutgers is just an amazing college, and I am happy to a student here.

Kristin

Rutgers is very serious about being an open and diverse community, which is one of the main reasons why I chose to come here. There’s something for everyone whether that be clubs, sports, or other organizations there’s no limit. We have good oportunities for working while in school and in fact just raised the minimum wage of on campus workers to $11/hr! Rutgers has major school pride which can be experienced both through current and past students, we always say that our blood is no longer red but now forever Scarlet.

Mar

The University is huge. I can only speak about Mason Gross School of Performing Arts. Their brass department is top notch. I don't need to go to the other campuses much. Everything is right on my campus. But if I do want to go to the other campuses the bus system is free and great.

Neema

As an alumnus of the 250th class of Rutgers University, I am proud to call myself a Scarlet Knight. Over four years, I propelled through many academic and social experiences, that I will cherish for years to come. I quickly learned that YOU make your Rutgers experience; you get what you put in. I chose to participate in dance teams, medical brigades, and an animal welfare club! Rutgers is known for its eclectic student population- with international, commuting, nontraditional, and disadvantaged students, Rutgers is definitely a "melting pot". Rutgers is also a renowned research institution, with well established mentors and teachers. With that being said, some of the professors (at least in the science field) seem more interested in their own research than they are with teaching. At Rutgers, many of the 1st and 2nd year class sizes consist of 400 students, so you have to go to office hours, take advantage of tutoring, and make study groups to succeed. By my last two years at Rutgers, my upper level science classes dwindled down to a size of 50-100 students, which allowed me to get to know my professors well. Overall, my experience at Rutgers, both socially and academically, was one of a kind and something I will forever for grateful for.

Brendan

It's an extremely nice college with may academic opportunities. Rutgers is part of the Big 10, which a NCAA division with includes big colleges like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, and the University fo Michigan. The sports teams are generally decent in this division. Rutgers New Brunswick is a college I am very much considering because of the academic opportunities that they offer.

Josephine

I love how big the campus is because there is a lot for me to explore. There is also a lot of students walking around so you can feel safe. (But this becomes a problem when getting on a bus). Academically, I believe that many of the professors enjoy teaching and are able to make the student join in on the fun. So I've enjoyed many of my courses. I would recommend this college to anyone who is adventurous.

diana

Overall compared to other schools I would say that it is pretty decent, nothing to write home about. The food could be better, I have had to cut into pink chicken at least twice. There are a lot of clubs and programs to join. There is also a lot of majors and minors to explore.

Anthony

Day in and day out, you are surrounded by ambitious peers, grounded on a level of higher thinking. They appreciate and take full advantage of education’s value, applying their intellect to both the classroom and dilemmas of the outside world. Students come from all corners of the world to display their unique abilities and talents. Day in and day out, world renowned professors are leading intriguing courses. Individuals who have taken place in groundbreaking research, and have acquired some of the highest recognitions in literature and science, are willing to pass on their vast genius.

Joanna

it is a great school with outstanding professors who are truly compassionate and have your back. The campus is neat and well maintained, providing an atmosphere of excellence. The campus is extremely safe, campus police are always nearby and on the look out! It is a school that welcomes diversity which is key to building successful and compassionate graduates

Joel

It is a great school which offers a excellent curriculum and learning environment for all majors. The campus is beautiful and always well kept. The professors and students are always positive and diverse group.

Muskan

Rutgers University-New Brunswick is a big school! There are so many people to get to know and there is something for everyone since it is very diverse. There are a lot of opportunities to do well academically, network with professionals and to meet other peers. There are a lot of options for on-campus living as well and there are living-learning communities that are recommended for freshmen. The food is pretty good and there are a lot of options to eat. It is a party school so there are parties during the weekends. Academically, the school is pretty good. The professors are reachable if you have any questions or want to meet with them in person. There are soo many classes to choose from when you are registering each semester and the deans are always available to discuss your schedules.

Upon first glance, Rutgers University-New Brunswick is a sprawling, largely unattractive University with a disorganized bus system. But to me, Rutgers immediately felt like home. Your college experience should not be about how long it takes you to get from class to class or how new your dormitory is. Unless you are in the Honors College, your freshman year dorm is probably going to be dated. Following your freshman year, you will experience the Housing Lottery which will probably not get you into great housing until you are a junior or senior. As for dining, Rutgers has a fairly flexible meal plan. You get a certain number of “swipes” per semester which you can use one time at a dining hall or for a specific amount of money at cafes. The dining halls themselves are tolerable but the cafes offer fresh food and much more flexibility in what you can use your swipes for. What makes Rutgers so great are the students. There is always something to do at Rutgers from club events, festivals, and, of course, parties. The students are immensely enthusiastic about everything you can think of from politics to Quidditch. The football team is horrible, but we love to go to the games anyways. There is a place for you at Rutgers, whoever you are. Also, Rutgers has fantastic academics. I received a world-class education at Rutgers and the name has great recognition. I live in Florida now and employers think Rutgers is an Ivy League school. Yes, the class sizes are big especially for Gen Ed class such as psychology, calculus, biology, and chemistry. But once you enter your major-specific classes later, the class sizes become much more manageable. Furthermore, the professors are always open to a conversation and have generally been very helpful. As for the buses, you will get used to them. They can be a pain but it’s all part of the Rutgers experience. Rutgers epitomized the perfect college experience. I made great friends, learned a lot, and did some stupid things along the way. What makes Rutgers so special is not in the bricks and mortar but in the amazing students and experiences. To me, Rutgers will always be home.

Adina

Rutgers is a huge school with opportunities for everyone. Since there are around 40,000 undergraduate students, there are options for a wide variety of people: such as sports (including quidditch and rock climbing), Greek life, religious life, the arts, and academic rigor for those who choose it. The large campus feels overwhelming at first and the bus system to go between campuses is initially confusing, but overall I am really enjoying my experience on this massive campus.

Heejae

I was never supposed to come here. I was familiar with the college process, growing up with two older sisters and I vowed to myself that I would never in a million years go to Rutgers. In fact, the words, "I would rather go to community college than Rutgers," came out of my naive mouth. Looking back now, I am disgusted by my horrific statement. Rutgers is the best thing that has ever happened to me. It has pushed me in so many ways that I could even imagine. Rutgers Business School especially has contributed to my growth and developed me not only academically, but also professionally. I am involved in many leadership roles and am able to mentor high-school students representing Rutgers Business and also work alongside the Office of Career Management to help out during career fairs. I've been on a week-long service trip to Philadelphia, worked 3 jobs, while still maintaining above a 3.5 GPA. Rutgers has inspired me to achieve my long-term and short-term goals. I love the college scene and tell my friends all the time how much even studying at the library excites me to see all these students striving to become who they want to be. I couldn't imagine my life elsewhere and am so proud to be a scarlet knight. RU RAH!

Karishma

Rutgers New Brunswick is an amazing state school. It is filled with numerous opportunities for its students and has an important academic agenda. Rutgers was even asked to be a part of the Ivy League schools twice but declined. However, the culture of Rutgers like any school depends on who you surround yourself with as there is Greek Life, clubs, and sports that can be played. I love the fact that it’s so big and how easy it is to make new friends in class. There are so many different majors and classes that Rutgers offers. There is even a scuba diving class and other electives that make it really about learning than just passing. The food can be repetitive sometimes, but Livingston dining hall has some of the best food with a burger and pasta station where you can design your own. Café West also has great bagels and snack options if you have meal swipes or want to pay with it on your own. If the food on campus is not to your liking, then you can also order from nearby restaurants and fast food places. However, I must admit that the bus system isn’t always the best with buses coming at various different times but leaving a little early for a class is not the worst case. Rutgers is an overall great college to go to and has amazing student spirit. Most students carry a lot of pride towards going to Rutgers as it is accessible and diverse.

Amel

It’s a really nice university, with a little bit of everything for everyone. I attend the Mason Gross School of the Arts, and yet I have friends attending many of the other schools in Rutgers. I feel comfortable walking around campus to get a coffee or a bite to eat.

CLAUDIA

Rutgers University is a very good school. It was the only school I applied to because I had no interest in enrolling anywhere else. I think you get great education for a "fair price." Although tuition is not inexpensive, Rutgers is still a more affordable option when comparing to other Universities. Professors are qualified and passionate about their work. You can also see a lot of diversity, which is great.