Rutgers University-New Brunswick Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rutgers University-New Brunswick

I enjoy being a Scarlet Knight. WIth a large school there are so many opportunities to find what interests you. Despite having 60,000 students, I rarely feel overwhelmed by the size of my school. This may be do in part to the fact that New Brunswick is split into 5 campuses: Cook, Douglass Residential College, College Ave, Livingston, and Busch. Each campus has a different feel, giving students options to find which campus suits them best. For me Douglass is my favorite campus because it offers the strong bonds of a women college while still being part of a large, world renowned university. Douglass feels removed from the the hustle and bustle of New Brunswick, providing women with a green campus to recharge after a long stressful day. Academically, Rutgers is a land of opportunity. Rutgers Professors are highly acclaimed in their fields, relatable, caring, and easy to reach. Many will go out of their way to help a student in need if the student reaches out to them. My only complaints have to do with the administration, bus system, and food. The administration is faulty at best, finding ways to get over on every students at least once during their time at Rutgers. The bus system needs work. Buses are crowded during peak times because there simply aren't enough buses. The weekend buses, winter session buses, and summer buses are terrible. They have 2-4 buses doing the entire bus route (all campuses) which means they they are very infrequent. The weekend buses are not only infrequent but overcrowded. The food is hit or miss depending on which campus you are on and how much extra money you are willing to spend. There are two vendors which cater to four dining halls: Brower, Busch, Livingston, and Neilson. Brower and Busch share one vendor while Livingston and Neilson share another. Each year students complain about the food at Brower and Busch but rave about the food on Livingston and Neilson. One would think that the administration would get the hint and use the one good vendor for all four dining halls. Yet nothing ever changes. Rutgers has a 2030 plan to redesign the campuses. Hopefully with the changes on campus there will be changes to fix all of Rutgers internal problems. On another note, school spirit and extra-curricular activities make Rutgers an great place to spend four years. School spirit runs high at Rutgers. There are an array of activities from sporting events, to bed races, and old traditions which work in unison to spark pride in all students. There are over 400 organizations and clubs at Rutgers. This leaves room for every student to find something that interests them. While it is a large school with partying and greek life, not everyone partakes in those activities. Students can chose their own path at school. You can completely separate yourself from partying and be studious, finding joy in learning, clubs, religious organization, research, etc. Or you can work hard in school and play hard on the weekends. Rutgers offers so many opportunities and different paths that it would be hard not to find something that suits you. Overall, I like Rutgers. As with anything in life, Rutgers is not perfect. However, there are so many opportunities presented at Rutgers that not many other schools offer which make Rutgers a great place

Laura

I love Rutgers. It is an amazing school that has a lot of opportunities for jobs, study abroad and more. It is diverse and full of culture. There are many clubs and sports that you can join and everyone is welcome and accepted. There is a place for everyone!

Krystal

Rutgers University is a great school for people who want to further enhance their career goals. The supervisors and the students are very caring and welcoming to new incoming freshmen. They take you in like you're a part of the Rutgers family. It's very cautious on safety and the use of any drugs.

Tirth

Rutgers is one of the most diverse universities in the entire state. No matter what type of person you are and what you are into, you will always find a group to be around and spend time with. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to get involved with and plenty of other activities to partake in during your free time. The academics aren't so bad either!

Ivonne

My overall opinion of Rutgers University-New Brunswick is high. I do believe Rutgers is a great school. They offer so many resources for students to take advantage. Professors are always willing to help. So far, all my professors I've had are wonderful. They really do want their students to succeed. Some classes can be really large but once the student begins their main major courses, the classes become small. The school campus is huge. There are many clubs and organizations to become involved in extracurricular activities.

Soo Hyun

I think that the facilities and professors are very good. I have never met a professor I did not like. However, I am not a big fan of the culture, housing, or bus system. The students are often loud and rambunctious, and I have been rudely awakened multiple times throughout the night. The housing is a bit old and has a bit of a smell, but can be improved if cleaned weekly. Lastly, one must allocate 30 minutes to an hour for each bus ride, which takes a huge part of your day.

I transferred to Rutgers my sophomore year and at first I was overwhelmed, so much so that I ended up taking a semester off. However, I am now ready to return and that is all I wish for, to be able to return. I am so excited to take advantage of all my school has to offer.

Priyansh

Rutgers University is a great place for any student to thrive and take advantage of the many unique opportunities presented. Since it is such a large school, there are aspects to enjoy for everyone, from academics, to sports, even to partying! Overall, Rutgers presents itself as an excellent undergraduate center.

Kara

Overall I enjoy life here. The teachers have regular office hours and fellow students are always willing to help explain confusing concepts. The dining hall food is great but there are so many restaurants around as well. The facilities in the dorms are always clean and well maintained. The people are friendly and there are endless clubs to join for any interest.

Shayna

Being at Rutgers has by far been the best experience of my life. I have met some truly amazing people and being in the nursing program, I have so many resources and great professors that truly want the best for there students. There is never a dull moment on campus due to the numerous events and restaurants that students can enjoy. As you explore campus, you will be able to find your favorite spots that you can enjoy with your friends. The freedom and opportunities that Rutgers offers align very well with the typical college lifestyle and definition will let you grow up and be your own person. Being an instate student, going to Rutgers seemed like a backup, but being here is has made me the happiest I have ever been. Definitely a home away from home!!

Kristin

Rutgers is a great school. It is widely known. The area of New Brunswick is a little sketchy, so it is important to be cognizant of your surroundings, especially at night.

Seamus

Rutgers university is a school with a premise surrounding it's name, the RUSkrew. Meaning, during your time there your'e asking yourself, R U Skrewed? In the beginning it seemed like the case for me. Going straight to voicemail for individuals that were needed for basic necessities with no call backs, buying the student parking pass as a commuter and finding out that most campus's do not allow student parking until after my classes have concluded for the day, and clueless teacher assistants going through lectures in recitations had me doubting how I would make it through this semester. Non of these issues have been resolved, however the dean of students have a helped me through these tedious inconveniences. Be aware of the RUSkrew, but if you can get past it, you will have a great time at Rutgers.

I love the opportunities that Rutgers presents to its current students and alumni. The Rutgers University - New Brunswick campus is very manageable, centered on a golf course, connected with the RU buses and with various athletic fields and the stadium close by. College avenue is a great place to hang out on the weekends.

Chelsea

A very great school with a very welcoming environment! Plenty to do and tons of opportunities! There are so many people, so that makes it much easier to make new friends and find people that share common interests with you. Beautiful campus and so many things to go on and off campus! Could definitely get a great college experience in and out of the classroom at Rutgers University!

Linda

It is and amazing school and the pride of New Jersey. My uncle graduated with a PHD from Rutgers, My cousin will be going there next year to be a Math major. And I hope to be going there to become the best performer. Rutgers is like a family university!

Reda

I have so far enjoyed my time at Rutgers. It challenges you academically but you meet so many different people with different backgrounds. There are so many opportunities to get involved and make friends. The people there are wonderful and very helpful. While you do have to navigate most of academic life yourself, you can get help as long as you find the courage to ask for it.

Alan

Diversity. If I could sum up Rutgers in one word that would be the one. There is just so much here. From the people, the clubs, the majors, there is literally nothing you can't do. Here at Rutgers you're going to find people from all walks of life, people who seem to have insane interests and weird hobbies, to those who are as basic as they come. No matter what you're going to find what you're looking for here. There is just so much this place offers, you'll never have to doubt if you're going to fit in. I guarantee you, no matter how weird, how awkward, how scared you are. Rutgers will become your home just how it's become home to 36,000 others.

Tej

I love it! The campus is great and so are the people! The food can be better, but there are tons of on-campus eateries. The teachers that I have had are great and really teach you well. There are tons of opportunities and it is located in the center of all the major hubs (cities) in the northeast.

Ryan

t is very open and there is a lot to do. Easy to navigate and the education is good quality. I would say that I have made many friends at Rutgers, have had great experiences, and cannot wait to have many more. As a vegetarian, there are many option for me.

Keona

It's a great school but could use a little more diversity. The campuses are very big and the interactions with professors are encouraged. Professors are also great depending on which ones you get. But overall I think Rutgers New Brunswick is a great.

Leah

Overall, Rutgers New Brunswick can be a good school if you find all the correct ins and outs. There are a lot of things you can do wrong, but also a lot you can do right. So, it is imperative to be on top of your game at the very beginning. However, if you are like me, then it may take some time getting adjusted to. When attending Rutgers New Brunswick, studying and being a dedicated student is really your full-time job. In order to pass a class, like chemistry, for instance, it is so important that you attend office hours, even if you don’t have a specific question. It’s helpful to hear other students’ questions and listen from them and the professor. Of course, other things can be done like extracurricular activities and part-time jobs, but if you don't have your academics together then the rest will crumble also. So, it is always very important to do your best from the very beginning. Not only is striving to do your best important but having social and organizational skills are as equally important. Without these skills, the experience will be very hard at the beginning but over time, with a lot of work, these skills should come to you naturally. Rutgers New Brunswick has a lot of opportunities too, you just have to look for them in the right places. There are many big events like a major/minor fair, organizations for minorities like myself, and events where potential jobs and internships can be found. Many students take advantage of these and find that it ultimately helps them succeed. So far, where I have lived, the housing is pretty decent. During my first year, I lived in a freshmen dorm of course, and I had all the necessities I needed. Living in a dorm is also an experience every college student should have because our Resident Assistants would have fun floor activities planned and you make lifelong friends. As a sophomore, my roommates and I were lucky enough to get an apartment. It’s not the best but everything works and we have everything we need to survive if we were to experience multiple snow days as we did in the past. So far, my experience as a Rutgers New Brunswick student has been quite the experience with ups and downs, but overall, it has been a positive one and I can’t wait for more.

Catherine

The class size of most of your general education/100-level courses will be full auditoriums where you will be a number, not a name, unless you make a real effort to interact with your professors. They are available if you would like to go to office hours; however, you will typically receive assistance through the help of a TA if you are struggling for these courses. The professors often enjoy teaching these classes and their passion shows but they put most of their personal energy into their 300-level+ courses. Rutgers University-New Brunswick is huge and it is easy to get lost in the crowd and not receive any personal attention - the grading structure is based on your tests or essays, with attendance accounting for a small percentage if at all. This will work great for some students and hurt others. While it is a huge school, you can get the level of attention you need in any class - it just might take some more tenacity to find the right resources. Classmates are always putting together study groups and welcome anyone that can provide additional insight, so if you want to do well and you are trying, there are many ways to find success as long as you have some tenacity. The professors are all very intelligent and experts in their field. Most are genuinely excited to meet with you and want to help. Most will also appreciate an intellectual conversation before or after class. I used to meet my favorite psych professor at the old Grease Trucks to grab a breakfast sandwich/coffee and have a chat about the week's reading or a topic in class while walking to the classroom across the street. Those morning conversations are now some of my most cherished memories from undergrad. I suggest trying to make an impression on a few of your favorite professors - go to office hours, speak up in class, go out of your way to talk to them a bit. I have been out of Rutgers for seven years and just applied to graduate school. Since I was able to leave an impression on one of my professors, he was willing and able to write a letter of recommendation for law school because he remembered me - this is a HUGE deal given how big of a school Rutgers is. There are plenty of extracurricular activities, clubs, sports, etc if you are looking for them but you can enjoy college life just fine without participating in them. I suggest making it to homecoming once or twice just for the experience, even if sports aren't your thing and you have strayed from campus life - it will remind you that RU is big but we are a community. Greek life is present and you will be reminded of it by some of the houses - frat row still exists but you do not need to participate in order to have a social life or group of friends. It is available if you want it, and can probably make Rutgers feel a little smaller if you do join, as you gain a group of friends in the process. Overall, Rutgers University's name carries a lot of weight to it and is a highly respected institution. If you are a NJ resident, it has the absolute best value. Rutgers allows you to have the college experience that YOU CHOOSE and is a great introduction to how the real world works. No one will hold your hand or tell you what to do but you are also given all of the tools to have an amazing experience and leave a lasting impression. Rutgers can feel like a much smaller school, especially as you get into higher level courses and interact with people in your major and/or minor's community. It can also allow you to find yourself, do your own thing, and carve your own path because you aren't under a microscope from your peers or professors.

Achinth

I think it is a great school but you can get lost very easily, I also think that there are hundreds of opportunities that need to be seized every day so that we can be successful and I think Rutgers is the perfect place for that. I have learned the first year that I have come to Rutgers and I hope to keep learning in the future​.

Jonah

It’s been a great experience, tons of diversity, top notch academics. It’s a BIG school, but there’s something for everyone! From the arts to sports and clubs of all kinds to choose from, and close proximity to both NYC and Philadelphia- tons to do!!

Rutgers is a great school with great academics and a fun social scene. There are four campuses with different things to do and places to eat on each one and there is always something going on or something to do here. There are so many clubs and so many ways to make friends here that this school is hard to dislike.

Alexander

I think Rutgers University is a great school. But, the professors need to improve. I struggle with gaining meaningful knowledge in class. Professor need to do a better job with explaining the material. If I am paying this much money to attend this university, I would like my professors to be worth it.

Michayla

I think the school is very inclusive and overall great. Of course it has its flaws but the good outweighs the bad! I really enjoy all of the club and sports oppurtunities the school offers. They also provide us with really healthy food alternatives to the traditional dining hall!

Muskan

I was always hesitant to go to Rutgers, just because it was so accessible to me. However, the moment I stepped foot on campus, I knew this was the place for me. After being coined "The People's Ivy", I cannot think of any better way to describe Rutgers. As a freshman, I can easily say that I have all the resources I need to succeed during my time at RU and graduate being able to do whatever I want. At the end of the day, college is what you make out of it, but at Rutgers the possibilities are endless.

Christina

Rutgers may be characterized as a structural organization created to loosely represent the true and real society we live in but on a smaller scale. We have a total of 5 sub-campuses in the New Brunswick - each expressing its unique personality and taste of students, culture, and activity. Douglass is the home of the cows and nutrition majors, and notably is the only campus with the healthiest take-out menu. Livingston is buzzing with wealthy Chinese International students and the state of the art glass built business building with a convenient froyo and Starbucks cafe waiting at the corner. We have Busch campus, a haven for bookworms who study pharmacy and medicine who would always wish for more time in the day to cram 6 hours of lecture material accumulating more than 300 power-point slides per week. Finally, College Ave, where sleep is probably unheard of and instead traded with extended nights of alcohol and Khalid booming from basement floors. You will find yourself challenged to adapt to the enormity of Rutgers’ culture and liveliness. For optimal future success (professionally, academically, socially), you may be faced with certain barriers. But during my 3 years here I have found that even at a renowned public research university, Rutgers offers many opportunities for career networking in all disciplines and a variety of extracurricular for any student from any background. There will always be something to do on a regular weekday - which is the beauty of an all-inclusive college campus. I can speak specifically for the 4-year generic nursing program. It is not stellar, but it is good. There are changes to our curriculum track for incoming freshman at this time, so I will expect their academic experience to be exceptionally better than my graduating year. My program has become like family from day one and I fell in love with the supportive nature of my professor and clinical preceptors. Our classes are much smaller, now at around 80 students per instructor for one lecture hall. (Even 80 students may be too large for my own preference, I would like to have a class even smaller and in a more intimate environment.) The current faculty are always quite supportive and are willing to help students succeed here. It is easier to develop a relationship with them in this type of setting because we see them in clinical and in lecture, as opposed to a general Biology 101 class where you are competing with 300 other students. Walking into the Albany building on George Street, our labs are designated on the 3rd and 4th floors. Students are constantly meeting with professors and practicing with our simulation labs and mannequins. It’s quiet for group study sessions. A fantastic perk is the availability of a community fridge and microwave, as well as events of free food and activities by the Student Engagement team. I have one year of my academic journey remaining at Rutgers School of Nursing. Through the friendships and professional connections I’ve made, I will always be incredibly grateful for the educational opportunity I have received. At any college, it is certainly dependent on what you make of it.

Peyton

I really like the school however the size of it can be a major turn off to many people. Having to take a bus to class gets annoying especially when there are late buses and rush-hour traffic. People from other colleges talk about getting up 5 minutes before class and still be able to get there on time. That is not an option for many people at Rutgers. You not only have to give yourself enough time for the bus ride​ but also the walk to the closest bus stop and the time it may take for the bus to even get to your stop.

RJ

I am very inspired by the hard work that is done on campus

Dayjah

The perfect school to go to if you're a very social person who likes to meet new people constantly and likes to have fun. The classroom is pretty decent considering the size of Rutgers and the housing is really nice. Tuition and room and board are not out of control either.

Vivekkumar

I think that Rutgers-New Brunswick is a great school overall. It is a school where you can have a great academic experience and learn how to be an independent person. I know people that have been to Rutgers and I hear all the time how it gives you such a great experience academically. Not only can you learn from this school but I hear that campus life is great because of how great the environment is and on campus everything seems to be so easily accessible. There are restaurants where you can eat, theaters to watch movies, and you can even workout on campus and not have to worry about going off campus. But even when you go off campus there are other activities you can do. So I feel as if the environment as a whole is great because of its convenience.

Leora

I love Rutgers! It might be a big and overwhelming school when you look at it, but when you get there it feels a lot smaller. Joining organizations and getting involved on campus (there's always something to do!) makes the college experience as a whole so much better.

Milany

I genuinely think that Rutgers University in New Brunswick is very academic and extremely social. The classes are not easy but are very informative. Socially, I feel as though everyone can find their group and find a place to fit in. I have found my best friends here at this college. Time management is something that many learn at this school, including myself, which is a very important ability to be used throughout life. Overall, I think this school is amazing.

Thi

Rutgers is a large campus with a diverse student body. Teachers encourage the students to do the best they could do and students encourage other students to participate in more activities. I love it. It is a very friendly atmosphere that will help me grow into a strong independent women able to change the world.

ALEA

Overall, Rutgers is a great school. Our academics are internationally known, our technology is constantly being upgraded, and we are provided an unlimited amount of resources. The dorms are average, with the regular rooms being not as renovated and are usually lacking AC. Even though we aren't the best at sports, our school spirit is great!