Sacramento, CA
Sacramento City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sacramento City College

Self-motivated entrepreneurs; who dream, believe, and want to do more for themselves with the little that was given to them.

Me: "Why are you shooting yourself in the foot?" Past Me: "I'm not! It's the facts: my grades are just okay, I'm not great at sports, and I don't do volunteer work." Me: "If colleges were all looking for the same type of person, there wouldn't be so many out there to choose from. So what if you only managed a B in history? You got an A in physics, right? No one is the BEST at everything. Plus, you're involved in a variety of activities! Just because you're not volleyball captain, doesn't mean you don't contribute as part of the team. Your strengths and life experiences make you unique. You have drive. That's all you need. It's true, college is hard, but that doesn't mean you can't succeed. You will have so many choices ahead of you: scholastic and socially. Trust your instincts, don't ever tell yourself that you aren't good enough, and don't be afraid to ask for help. You?re expected to make mistakes; it?s part of learning, and part of becoming an adult. If you're unsure; think, breathe.

Someone who is unsure of their path in life, and wants a place where they can dabble in everything that interests them without worrying about cost. You can take a class on aeronautics, african music or ethical philosophy. This college is a great place for someone who has a variety of interests but needs a starting place that can help them narrow down the choices.

william

Onestly nothing is unique about it at all. Before i decided to attend Sacramento City College i was looking into USC but then i saw the cost i know my family and myself can not affored at all. Later this year on July 12 2010 ill be attenting Art Institute of California of Sacramento because its less in cost, but its still a lost of money, someone who wants to become a film maker can change the way how a movie is persented to you and the people around the world and that is whats unique about film school.

what would i do if went back in time to the end of my high school life going into college well i would harder. i worked very hard to get through high school but do to a learning desorder it was hard for me to retain some information. the program i was in had some contrall on what classes i was able to take and to them not letting me advance into some higher classes i got bored and and started to lack off. if i went back in time i would stay more vocause.

what kind of person shouldnt attend my school well someone who wants to though there life away and not get a higher education .

Janette

My classmates are a group of wonderfully diverse people. I have met men and women who have brought their unique experiences - not only at school, but in life - to the table and made for a more educational experience outside of the textbook and laboratory world. The social aspect of college is just as important as the academic, and Sacramento City College has been a great place to meet fun, exciting people that enrich not only my social life but my learning experiences here at the college. If are looking for a great and passionate student body, SCC definitely has it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of having a serious major in mind upon entering college and using my time wisely to prepare for it. Beginning your postsecondary education at a community college is a relatively inexpensive way to start working towards a degree, and because of this, it is also easier to remain "undecided" or change majors frequently and end up wasting time and money on classes not required for the major you really want to pursue. It is important to follow a plan so you don't end up regretting having randomly taken some classes unrelated to your major when you really should've taken the ones you need which would have meant graduating sooner. Another bit of advice I would share is: make the most of your classes! Learning the subjects is one thing, but fostering new personal and professional relationships with peers and professors is another important part of the college experience. Not only do you come away from your classes with newfound knowledge, but you also gain valuable networking and social skills that might come in handy in the future!

I believe that the only kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who isn't serious about their education. I have seen people from all walks of life attend, and the beauty of it all is that despite the diversity of majors, everyone is working towards one common goal: graduation. To succeed at a community college, one must be able to overcome academic and personal challenges, and just like anywhere else, one will find them here, but the most successful students are the ones that don't give up on their educational goals.

Zoua

There's always a variety of things to choose from.

There's always a variety of things to choose from.

Hey Zoua, I know life in high school is tough. It's easy to get caught up in your emotions, being so young and such. I know how important it might seem to you to spend time with friends and prioritze school success behind many other things. The sad truth is that all those things you may consider to be very important, they are all going to go away once you go off to college. Trust me, they are not going to matter. Do you remember all those things the teachers and counselors always say? They always tell you high school students to study hard, get good grades, do volunteer work, and participate in clubs. Well, believe me, they are right. If you do just that, you will be on your way to having a very successful education, life, and everything else. In college, you meet new people and make new friends who may truly be part of your life, for a very long time. So hold your head up high and keep your focus. Books are always the way to go!

All of the student support services.

Julie

Audio Production and Engineering in music and film

Audio Production and Engineering in music and film

I would tell myslef to not be so anxious about being on my own as an adult. That once you leave school and need to work to support yourself, its really hard to come back. Stay at home as long as you can and finish your college while you have someone willing to support you in food and shelter (your parents) because you will never have that opportunity again. There will always be jobs and income. The "real world" is always gonna be there waiting, do what you can now, take advantage of the opportunities now, so later you can BETTER support yourself and not need to fight and struggle to straddle work and school.

The opportunities that it provides: job placement, teachers in the field, hands on experience, internships. How it is located in an area that is lacking a techinical music shool.

There is a wide diversity of students and faculty, and this creates a great learning environment. They also offer lots of services to students wanting to transfer to 4 year colleges, and have transfer days set up to meet with people from those schools.

The truth is only this: You have not only the right, but also the responsibility as the artist that you will become to carve your own path, to pave your own road. The journey is long but the rewards are great. It will take you some time to achieve what you desire, time to hone even what that desire truly is, but know that each experience builds on the one before it. In each disparaging moment when you feel like throwing in the towel, in each defeat, there contains the seed for that moment of awe and beauty that you desire. It is when you are most down and out, and unable to move forward, that you find that wonder and beauty are right beside you, you just had to be willing to see it. Keep drawing. Keep looking. Keep moving. Paint as much as you can.

The teachers are amazing!!! I have attendended several schools throughout the US, and have found that teachers in Community Colleges LOVE thier subjects and LOVE what they are doing, and so therefore do it well.

Maggie

My classmates are very diverse in background, experience, and ideas.

My classmates are very diverse in background, experience, and ideas.

Upon going back in time and talking to myself as a senior in high school, I would have quite a few things to say! However, there are three things that would be the most important. The first being, do not give up activities you love. I quit horseback riding for a number of years and missed it regrettably. Pastimes and hobbies are what keep us sane through times of stress and new situations. Secondly, explore new subjects and areas of study. I stuck to what I liked and knew after highschool: art, writing, and philosophy. It took me several years to take the environmental biology class that sparked my interest for sustainability and urban development. I was finally able to combine my love of art, math, and culture to find a path I really care about. Lastly I would say, finding yourself takes time. I would remind myself that not everyone knows what they want to pursue or accomplish. Discovering oneself is a lifelong process, and having an open mind and being patient with the frustrations and obstacles that come with it will be pleasantly rewarding.

I think there is something available for most people at Sacramento City College and there is not one type of person who "shouldn't" attend. Anyone who has an interest in community colleges, attending school while working, or wants to save money the first two years of college should consider this school.

Ericka

If I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself high school is a priority as a kid and college is a choice. I would also tell myself to search scholarships or any type of money that can help for school. Coming from a family that has low income is hard to pay for school, so please take any EOPS programs, financial aid, grants, book vouchers, etc it will be extremely helpful! College is really expensive now that I know; books, gas, parking, tuition. Know what you want career wise and find the right school match for you while attending community college for the first year after graduating. Work only part-time when attending college because it may get difficult at times depending how many units and what classes your gonna take. TUTORING! definitely take advantage of that because it will really help you with your classes, because passing classes is a must! You certainly do not want failing grades showing up on your transcript! It does not look good when transfering to 4-year universities. Please tell all of your senior friends to take all this into consideration!

I wish I would have known that registering for classes at community college were difficult because there are so many people attending community college that it is hard to be guaranteed a spot in a class when one is on the wait list. Also, I would've wish I knew that the nursing programs in community college are lottery based and are very difficult to get into. I did not know that there was a 2-4 year wait to enter the nursing program.

The kind of person that should attend community college is definitely a person with patience and time on their hands. A teenage student fresh out of high school should attend this school because they are just stepping foot into the college life and need to think about what they want to major in. This school is definitely for a person of low income that is testing the waters in the career life by taking general ed classes and introuction classes.

Jean

As an adult student now, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would insist that I change how was living. As a teenager I did not have education as a priority. I understand now how everything in my life has been delayed because I did not focus on getting a college education.

michael

It's diversity, It's variety of classes and majors. It has a fantastic support team, the staff, professors, aides are so friendly, it feels like you're talking to a friend.

I would tell my senior high self to follow your instincts and take a leap. If you don't take that leap now, you might not get the chance to later. I would tell myself to take that leap, get into art school, even if it doesn't pan out, even if it costs tons of money. I would tell myself to never lose hope or doubt yourself, because life is too short and too amazing to give up on. That would be the only thing I would tell my past self.

The atmosphere. It's so diverse, I always feel so welcomed there. When I walked into the school, I feel like I want to be there, I want to succeed. The school has charm and inspires motivation.

Sacramento City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.