Moraga, CA
Saint Mary's College of California

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College of California

I absolutely love my experience at SMC so far. As a student-athlete I have found the teachers to be extremely helpful with whatever needs may arise. The other students are friendly and are great to talk to. It is a campus that is great to stay focused on your school work with little distractions.

devonna

I would tell myself tat it was going to be okay. Going to this school will make you a much strnger person. You will learn so much of who you ar, you will find yourself. You will glean the strength and tools to be successful. IN the face of adversity you will shine brightly. It will be hard but it will be worth it. You will meet some of the most incledible faculty, networking is key. Just remeber to breathe! You will make it. This is the best decision of your life!

The women's resource center was a sae space that was for all the marginalized groups could go to discuss nad be allies.

the most frustrating thing about my school was going to a school that was 75% white. It was extremly difficlut to be in classes with people who could not acknowledge thier priviledge or hold it. There were many instances of subtle and overt racism.

julio

Saint Mary's is best known for how successful it is in sports, yet we have so little studnets, we have a about 4,000 students, yet we are a D1 school. We were ranked for rugby 1 in teh nation, our soccer team is not bad and in basketball we tend to do really good. We are ranked like 4 in the nation for buisness as well, so buisness is something we are known for.

First piece of advice is sleep, it's important in college and it something that more and more college studnets are getting less of. Now I actually try to get between 7-8 hours of sleep, so be careful what time you choose your classes and also make sure to get a good amount of hours of sleep, because if you are sleeping in class it is a big waste of time. I would also tell myself to get involved as soon as possible. In the beggining I didnt want to get involved, but then I joined club rowing and I made a lot of new friends and connections, this motivated me to try new things, so I joined a couple of other clubs like the engineering club, Latinos club, and I am thinking of playing rugby next year. Getting involved is important to meet new people and get new conncetions. The last piece of advice would be to build a strong relationship with professors. A lot of proffessors want to help, but they can't if the studnet does not seek help. Professors are there too help so use them and I know from experience that they are useful.

St. Mary's is more for a student that is very open minded. Here studnets like to try new things, and we are very supportive. One reason for why our sports teams suceed even though we are a small school is because we have a lot of school spirit and about 70% of teh school goes to support the sports games. Evertone here for teh most part is friendly, so someone who likes to talk to people will do freat here.

Hayley

Saint Mary's is well known for its liberal arts aspect. One main focus is our seminar courses. These courses are not offered at every school so we are well known for them. Also, our varsity sports are devision one and extremely talented. Last but not least we are a Lasallian school and the school has a heavy focus on social justice. Community service opportunities are also availble. Another thing we offer is January Term. During January students are able to take a course in something that is outside of their major, this includes traveling.

I was a very focused high school student. I strived to be the best student I could have been. However, if I were to go back in time I would give myself some additional advice that would have been helpful. I would have told myself to study harder and better. Although I received decent grades in all my classes I have never been a great test taker. I would have found a tutor or a program that would help me become a better studier. I also would have taken more difficult classes. I played it safe in high school. I should have taken more AP classes because I had the opportunity to do so. Last but not least I would have done more extra curricular activities and community service because it would have made me a more well rounded person.

Someone who is looking for a party school should not attend this school. Saint Mary's does not have sororities or fraternities. Someone who is looking for a high populated school with a lot of diversity should not attend Saint Mary's. Our students and faculty are diverse however, not as diverse compared to a state college with a higher population. Saint Mary's is also a religous school. Someone who does not want this aspect should not attend this school. Although religous viewpoints are not pressured onto students every student is required to take one religoius course.

My classmates in the Integral Program are both intelligent and vocal (two very important qualities), and our intellectual in-class discussions have a sneaky way of actually making learning fun.

Amanda, I know you like to think and act like you have everything under control, but you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. College will turn your life upside down in a way that forces you to make crucial, impactful, real-life choices and seriously question whether the path you're on is the path you truly want to be on. Otherwise, what's the point? With that being said, I would do it all over again in a hearbeat - even (and especially) the mistakes. Right now, I'm only half-way through undergraduate studies, but I can say that these have been the fastest, most exciting, and most influential two years of our life thus far. Giving yourself this opportunity is the most important decision you will make in your adolesence, and although I haven't seen the end of it yet, I know that it will be worth everything you're going to go through. I am so excited and hopeful for these last two years and all the experiences and adventures that will follow them - the beginning, and most importantly, the continuation of best years of our life. Love, Amanda (+2 years)

My tutors in the Integral Program. They have clearly shown that they genuinely care about the happiness and well-being of their students academically, socially, emotionally, etc. It comes through in their teaching style and practices, and the frequent one-on-one meetings they hold with their students definitely fosters this essential relationship. If it were not for my tutors in the Integral Program, I may not have come this far in my college career.

melissa

The college is one of the most important steps in your life, you become in a person full of knowledge, prepare to be a professional person in the society, If I go back to my highschool senior year, I'm going to be in college right now.

Saint Mary's College of California is a small, quiet Catholic school with a focus on developing students to serve others, and creating a strong community on campus.

If I could go back and have a conversation with the high school senior version of myself, I would tell myself to enjoy my last months of high school. Once my senior year rolled around, all I could think and talk about was college. I constantly asked my friends questions like "Where do you want to go?", "Did you apply?", "Is that your first choice?" and analyzed my different options for school. I wish I would have slowed down, and just soaked up my last months of living in the same town as my best friends and having nightly dinners with my family (instead of in the dining hall). My high school years came and went in the blink of an eye, and I regret spending so much time focusing on the future rather than appreciating my (then) present months living at home.

The best thing about my school is the ability to connect with professors. At a small school like Saint Mary's, it is easy to develop relationships with professors, and recieve extra help from them outside of classtime. After one semester, I was able to know my professors on a more intimate basis; I could go to their office hours or contact them via e-mail to seek assistance, advice or just to talk.

Maisa

I's tell meself it’s okay to take risks. Live on campus your first year, meet new people, make friends, make enemies, it’s okay. Know that you can’t aim to please people, because you are only hindering yourself. Respect your parents, but don’t let them define your decisions. It’s okay to miss your family, give them a call or even go visit them. But stay focused with school, achieve your goals and learn more about yourself. It’s okay to fail, just as long as you get back up. Failure is the greatest sign of success; without our failures we wouldn’t be able to find our selves. Travel for a semester and see the world. Although I did get some great opportunities, I wish that I could have seen more of the world while in college. Don’t be afraid to be yourself! You are the greatest you when you’re yourself. It’s not about impressing others it’s about knowing who you are, what you stand for and establishing yourself. Lastly, I’d tell myself to make my mark leave SMC with a BANG!

I wish I would have known to live on campus from the start. Since this is a small school, a lot of people met each other in their first year and remained friends the entire time. Coming in as a sophomore living on campus was difficult because friendships were already established. I wish I would have known to explore my options more instead of forcing myself to pick a major that I didn’t love. Although I did find myself in the end, I wish I could have started sooner and perhaps I could have done more in my field.

The worst thing at my school was probably the lack of diversity. I am a Muslim and couldn’t connect with many Muslims on campus, and I would have loved to interact with a student organization that is similar to me. The diversity organizations were a bit of a joke when you compare bigger school’s organizations. I wish our orgs could have been to the scale of a California state or university school, but I know we were already limited because the small undergraduate population size.

Jillian

I chose to go to Saint Mary's particularly because of the small class size and student-to-faculty ratio. My largest class last semester had less than thirty students, which enabled me to seek one-on-one help from professors. As my school proudly advertises: "Here, professors will know your name," and they do. Additionally, the location of this school is stunning, as it lies nestled between the lush hills of the Bay Area, yet it is only about twenty miles from San Francisco - any college student's dream.

Jillian, spend time with the people in life who matter the most to you. Don't be so concerned with your appearance, going to parties, and trying to please everybody - you can't. You're going to realize one day soon that your priorities were backwards in high school. You're going to miss your little brother and sister more than anything else in the world when you can't see them everyday, so take advantage of every second with them. You'll come home after a couple months of absence, and they will have grown; they will know how to do things that you didn't get to witness them learning, such as riding a bike without training wheels and reading (incredibly well, too). Spend time thanking mom and dad for everything they do, because living on your own will give you true insight to how much they do for you; dad's home-cooked meals every night truly are a blessing. Most of all, be yourself. The people you meet in college will love you for who you are and make you realize that only those worth knowing will. Love and appreciate your precious life.

Any kind of person should attend this school (and any other school), honestly. I love Saint Mary's because of its diversity and unified acceptance of everyone, regardless of religion, race, sexual orientation, and every other factor. One should attend this school if they are eager to learn not only what the text has to say, but what the professor and other students are constantly teaching as well - about the subject at hand and about one another. This school attracts people from all over the country - and world - and everyone seems to love its social and natural environment.

Sandra

Saint Mary's College is a close-knit private college, located just east of San Francisco and Oakland, where students will find personal connections with their teachers and peers, and can learn to thrive as students while having fun at the same time.

I would make sure that I understand the time and effort that is required of me in college. No one is kidding when they mention that college is less about homework and class time, and more about studying. There are a lot of distractions, so make sure to find a place to focus because time is essential, especially when you need sleep. Sleep is also very essential because it helps to keep you focused and alert if you've had a good night's sleep. Although college is about going to school and learning, the social aspect is also important in order to thrive and be comfortable enough to be away from home. At first, it can be lonely but don't be afraid to take the chance and be the first person to say hi. It can make the difference between being stuck in your dorm room and having fun getting to know people and having someone to talk to when you do get lonely. Also, call home in times of stress and support; family will always be there for you.

The best thing about SMC is the energy and commitment that is felt in class and outside of class. It is a small college where classes are just a 5-minute walk away, depending on your dorm location. Classes are intimate where the professors and your peers know each other by name and create lasting friendships. Because the school is in the middle of the town, it seems isolated from the town but it makes it easier to focus on school without complete distractions from town, but when your work is done, the bay area is a BART ride away.

Saint Mary's College of California administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.