Seattle University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Seattle University

Chris

If you are someone who sees themselves as progressivly active or enjoy the discussion and action that social justice can take this is the university for you. It is a jesuit university, but don't let that be a reason against it. I'm non-religious but I think the way that religion and culture is studied here leads to a great beginning for preparing for post graduation.

Sierra

Seattle University has created an amazing oasis within the heart of a large and exciting city! The class sizes are small and allows for more personalized learning. The professors are almost always available by phone, email, or in person and are always very eager to help. The students are incredibly kind! The food is generic and can get boring; however, there are plenty of great places to eat out nearby. The housing is relatively good, but you may have to do your laundry at weird hours or fight for a machine if you are living in the dorms. The campus is a very safe place and the campus security make it feel even safer. Overall, Seattle University is a great school in an amazing city!

Danielle

Seattle University really does give you a unique environment to learn in. The campus food is amazing and the people there are even better. Coming from a small town I didn't know how I would feel moving to such a big city but, the school's location gives a small town feel with big city amenities. As an international business major, I love how many opportunities there are to work with the many major companies that have headquarters in Seattle. There are plenty of activities to do on and off campus that will help you find your place in school. If you're looking for a school that you will help you grow not only in academics but also as a person Seattle University will be the place for you.

Marissa

Seattle U is a great school for those who want to live in a city while also not being directly in downtown Seattle. Being a 15 minute walk away from the heart of downtown, SU gives students the perfect location to venture around campus and learn from the diverse culture Seattle emits, especially Capital Hill where SU is located. While it is a small campus, you will appreciate not having to walk long distances in between class or those few times you happen to be running late to class. A small campus allows for a close knit community to exist where you have real relationships with your professors and classmates. SU is a school worth paying for, despite the high tuition that is constantly increasing.

Hai

An excellent school in general

I love my University! It's right on Capitol Hill and is only a few minutes walk from downtown! There is an assortment of shops and Cafes, and there is always new foods to try! My classmates are always studious and intelligent and the professors always love to engage with students! One draw back is the tuition, the prices are always on the rise, and sometimes it's terrifying to imagine not getting a job that pays well enough to cover my student loans!

Hamz

I was raised in Nairobi, and growing up there I have witnessed things that might shock a lot of people. To me, it seemed natural. The thing that I have come to understand is trust. One must be careful about trusting. People will kill you for 20 shillings. Every time you leave your house you can’t be sure that you will come back. This is a difficult lesson for a young child to learn. Visiting Seattle University, I come to understand some of the students that attend at the Seattle University have same value as I one how to help people in poverty across the world with the knowledge the we learn from our professors at Seattle University . I cm to understand the students at the Seattle University don't have the experience of being an immigrant to the USA has given me even more insight because I can see how sheltered Americans are to what is happening in the world. I do believe that this has empowered me to help further develop American culture by adding another American voice to our melting pot and helping our country grow in its empathy for the entire world.

Beatriz

When I first arrived to Seattle University I was a scared little freshman unsure of what my college experience would be like. Having chosen Seattle University has been one of my best decisions because the culture here at Seattle makes me feel at home. I feel like I am accepted wherever I go, in and out of the classroom.

Seattle U has a lot going for it. It's an incredibly friendly, warm environment. One dean once told me that the attitude at the school is that all the "kids" are genuinely good, and you'd have to be a pretty deliberately bad person to change their minds. That means that professors start off from a place of respect, though you can always mess it up, but they don't assume anything bad about you right off the bat. It sounds a little random and silly, but the way the dean described it really made a lot of things suddenly make sense to me. It's a Jesuit Catholic school, and while religion is never pushed, the Jesuit philosophy is fundamental to almost every aspect of life at SU. That means: caring about the less fortunate, putting others before yourself, and learning HOW to think, not WHAT to think. There are always a few bad professors at any school, and SU is no exception. But there are so few bad profs there (and it's such a small school) that they quickly get a bad name for themselves, and your friends and classmates will tell you who to avoid. Overall, it's a warm, supportive environment, and a good bridge between home and the real world.

Celia

Overall, the high cost is not worth the facilities. Professors and life-long connections are the saving grace of this university. The location obviously has a lot of perks being in the middle of a major city. It's easy to get off campus and out into the "real world" whenever you need a break from studying.

Amal

I absolutely loved the campus and the size of the classrooms are smaller than the average state universities which are great if you are actually down to learn a thing or two! Teachers are amazing, says my brother whos been attending or the past two years.

I love this school and the city of Seattle. The campus provides a feeling of home and I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of this community. Classes are stellar and I have had very few issues with professors. I know that I made the right choice in attending SU.

Casey

As this has only been my first semester of college, I speak with little experience. But, thus far, Seattle University has been a liberating college experience. The professors are all knowledgeable and available to meet or email, making them very accessible. The dorms aren't too loud and people generally respect the quiet hours. The area surrounding the campus is a little sketchy, so be careful going around at night (Capitol Hill isn't the safest area in the world), but the campus itself is safe. Overall, an excellent first experience at college and a school I will be enrolled at for the foreseeable future.

Rozena

I love the atmosphere on campus. Because the school is located on Capitol Hill, there is a hugely diverse community and everyone is accepted, no matter their race, gender/genders, culture, etc. The faculty is also extremely involved in keeping the students engaged. I struggled my first quarter, but received a lot of help from my professors and advisor.

Kazmyrr

It's a great school to spend your undergraduate years. The class sizes range from around 40 (for the more general classes) to around 12 (for the higher level classes). With that said, professors know your name by the first week of class and this makes sure your not just another face in the crowd. The small class sizes are one of the things I like about this university. The professors are always available either through office hours, through email, or even directly after class. You start to feel like you are friends with your professors. Many prefer to be called by their first names, or by a nickname and many will invite you to lunch. Not in a creepy way (at least to my knowledge) but in a let's talk about it over lunch way. The party scene isn't obnoxious; there are usually small parties going on or just small gatherings at someone's apartment but they don't often disturb other students if you're not into the party scene. Similarly, we have 18+ clubs that people frequent. There's a lot of political conversations especially since we are in the heart of Seattle. We are not afraid to criticize our administration for questionable decisions and if we feel something unfair is happening we say it. Because, the university is in the heart of Seattle, only a few minutes from downtown, there are many things to do around campus. However, we also often get crime advisories and "suspicious" people sightings on campus. Public safety and the Seattle Police Department is usually quick to respond. The dorms are on the smaller side and kinda expensive. The apartments on campus and off campus are pretty nice but also a little on the pricier side. We live in Seattle so this is to be expected. With that said it is a private school so it can be very expensive to attend. It is my 2nd year at SU and I've loved it so far.

Konner

Seattle University has a fantastic academic environment and a beautiful, localized campus in the perfect location within the city. However, it falls short when it comes to our expectations of support of student life and overall well-being. There are many programs in place intended to foster a community between students, but they are not very active and often don't do enough to really do what they are intended. Honestly, you get out what you put in with the social aspects of going here, but that's true for many universities. The professors are knowledgeable (a bit pretentious at times) and the workload is a fair degree of difficulty. Campus is pretty safe and accessible, and the neighborhood that surrounds us is great save the high cost of living when moving off campus.

Robin

I loved my time at Seattle U. I took some incredible classes, made some great friends, and found my passion at SU. The only thing I felt was missing was a bigger sports culture, as I feel like I missed out on having a team to root for. Aside from that, I can't imagine a better college experience for someone who wants to be socially engaged and is serious about their academics.

Carmelle

Seattle University is a great school for those who are looking for an academically stimulating environment in the middle of the city. Although Seattle U is not a party school, most students are very welcoming and willing to make friends. My favorite aspects of Seattle U are the resources provided, specifically the small classes, writing center, and access to free tutors.

Soleil

I honestly really love Seattle University. The tight-knit community, the campus, the professors, and the surrounding neighbourhood are all factors that are keeping me at this university. Due to the university's student body being relatively small, everybody knows each other and it is super easy to find people you will become close with. With the environment, the actual campus itself is beautiful. It's situated in the Capitol Hill neighbourhood, which sits directly in the middle of central Seattle. The campus is a wildlife sanctuary, so you will usually find it to be peaceful, green, and teaming with life and beautiful plants. It's in its own bubble once you step onto campus from the bustling neighbourhood surrounding it. The faculty are always readily available for answering questions, whether it be through frequent office hours or through email. I've felt extremely valued at my university, not just by the faculty, but by the community as a whole.

Sophia

The Seattle U campus is on Capitol Hill, right above downtown, so shopping is close. The gardens on campus are well maintained and extremely beautiful, one of the lawns is regularly filled with dogs and their owners. This university has many community connections.

Josilyn

Has effective resources throughout campus and different opportunities for students to feel inclusive. I hope with the unprecedented times that our school offers fair treatment to campus workers and works more toward hearing what the student body has to say and truly takes it into consideration. Seattle University strives to fulfill it's mission and I hope we continue to work toward that mission.

Rachael

This is my second year at Seattle University, and I'm happy to say it's been a great experience thus far. I'm currently enrolled in the Nonprofit Leadership cohort program, which has allowed me to connect and become close with several classmates. This program has opened my mind and experiences, without it and the members of my cohort, I don't think I would have had the courage to step outside my comfort zone. We are encouraged to push one another, and that's precisely what we have done. The faculity, especially those closely tied to the program have created a welcoming atmosphere and have allowed us to question the unknown rather than overpowering our learning process. I'm grateful for the time spent here and would recommend it to others looking to attend graduate school.

Emi

I love this school. There are some challenges, especially with the Administration, but the culture, and vibe here is unparalleled. It feels like a microcosm of Seattle as a whole. Interested in Social Justice and change, and empowers students to speak out. Great leadership opportunities, as well.

Marisa

Seattle University does an excellent job of providing students with different opportunities to get involved. While Seattle can often times feel like a dangerous area, Seattle University offers a safe place and resources to stay safe. The campus atmosphere is mostly very welcoming and built upon set values that help keep a positive atmosphere all around.

Bailey

Seattle University is an amazing well rounded school. The small class sizes make it an easy place for class discussions. It also allows for you to get to know your professors. The school is welcoming of people who have all types of interests. It is an environment where everyone feels welcome. If I could go back to my senior year of high school when I was deciding what school to pick, Seattle University would have been my first choice (It was in the middle of my choices). There are all types of clubs and activities. There is a person on campus to help with just about whatever you need. Not to mention, massages and dog therapy to help de-stress!

Nicholas

While not my first choice, Seattle University has given me a place to expand my educational opportunities and explore my own interests in a nurturing environment. While there are social activities to partake in, they are not the centerpiece of the experience as is the case in other schools. Academics tends to take the center stage in this university.

Maya

Since attending Seattle University, I have enjoyed the other students attending, the many activities to do around the area, the class sizes, the availability of the professors, and much more! Seattle University is a great school if you learn better in smaller classes and more one-on-one time with professors. Everyone is friendly and there are a lot of activities to do since it's located in Capitol Hill and near Downtown Seattle!

KUN

Seattle University is pretty good, safe and enjoyable for me after studying there for two years, because not only is it closer to downtown Seattle for lots of internship opportunities, it also has many great professors and faculty members. And did I mention that it has a decent size of campus and classrooms but not too enormous?

Nash

Visiting Seattle University was a delight. For me, the people that are surround me are extremely important because I come from a place very family oriented, and while making a decision on where to go to college, I wanted to have a college that had a home like feel, while being in a city with lots of opportunity. Everyone that was around was sweet, dedicated and even more so surprising, the people who were on their way to be somewhere that we saw in the halls would talk to the group a little bit, backing up the points that the campus visit leaders were saying. I was excited to see a community that worked so well together and in unison, and immediately wanted to be a part of something that was as hardworking and synchronically as they do. I also had the privilege of visiting a couple of other schools and saw their amazing campuses as well. I noticed that Seattle University’s campus was not as well kept as far as landscaping, and the architecture was not as beautiful as a few other schools. With that being said, I went to Seattle U during the winter, while I went to some of the other schools during the summer. However, the programs that Seattle U had set up, the people, the city, the teachers and more intriguing in my opinion. Seattle U felt very safe because of the constant security, poles set up every few feet with a security a button away, and cars that will pick you up from where you are if needed within a few blocks. The city was interesting, full of life and constantly moving which is something that I looked for when I was looking for a college. I wanted to live out my youth in a place that would be full of opportunity, people to challenge me, and things to fill my schedule up with, going out to experience. I got to hear three of the amazing teachers at Seattle U and they were so passionate, so inspirational that it was the tipping point that made me choose my home for the next 4 years. I am so glad that I got the opportunity to visit Seattle University, and experience the city, the life and the feeling of it all so I could make a well informed decision, and a decision that I am so excited to pursue.

Linh

I would love my school but the tuition is little expensive. Small classroom size makes me easy to access and get involved with my professor. I love my school. Specially with the lab room, with all new equipment and modern laboratory, make me feel more confident to choose Seattle University as my nursing school.

Purevmaa

I am transfer junior student and this is my first quarter at Seattle University. I love it here.

Jose

My overall opinion for SU is that it's a beautiful Catholic open and welcoming private campus to anyone that would love to join and it is also a Jesuit culture which is something extraordinary. The campus and the environment have a wonderful contribution to the student body and also the community in which it is in. I would love to be part of this humble and beautiful place.

Jaida Rose

It's tour season, which means that a couple of SU students will be taking groups of clueless highschoolers and their parents around the best parts of campus. What they don't show you are the undermaintained facilities, the drab and descolate classrooms, the horrible food options (I'm allergic to gluten and dairy! There's nothing to eat, the food is gross, and the staff is underpaid!), and the severely depreciated non-tenured staff. While SU is nicer for its smaller class sizes and oasis of a campus (meaning, as soon as you step OFF campus, you're likely to be haggled and harassed on the street), I'd look into options like UW or even WWU.

I transferred from another school and so far I am really enjoying it. I live in the on campus apartments but there is still activities in the building. There is always things to do and you are close to food and shops. So far I really like it here and would suggest it to people who want to be in a bustling downtown but have a quite, small campus.

Roberto

I like Seattle University. It's a small school, which means small class sizes, which I like because the professor actually knows your name and you get to build a relationship with them. Classes are challenging but doable. The school seems pretty accepting, with various events and clubs and resources for queer, people of color, various religious groups, veterans among others. There's a variety of ways to get involved which is great. There's the previously mentioned clubs for specific identities, intramural sports, student government and even a radio station, which is super cool and I'm part of. Another really great way to get involves is with the school's center for community engagement. It's great that the school encourages giving back to the community because we should take advantage of the privileged position we are in to help others that aren't. I personally work at the local elementary school in an after school program run by SU. Seattle is a big city, so with that comes the possibility of danger. Luckily, SU takes safety seriously. There are emergency boxes all campus and Public safety officers are always available, and you can even call them to walk you from the library to your dorm when it's dark out. The location is great. Downtown is a 30-minute walk away from campus. There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, etc within walking distance and there's not as much hustle and bustle as there is in downtown. The amenities are pretty typical for a college. Room and bathrooms are pretty good. Each room has a fridge, microwave and sink and the bathrooms have a good number of stalls and showers Food is decent. There's stuff like pasta and hamburgers but they also have a more actual meal like food, but it's usually not great, so I end up getting a burger. I wish there was more variety of food and that there were also healthier options. Overall, I'm happy with my decision to come here and look forward to continuing my education here.

Paxton

I love the atmosphere here at Seattle University. The political activism and campus-wide support for all people are unlike any other. Professors welcome new ideas and want all students to feel that what they say matters. There are so many different clubs to join where you can make lasting friendships. I believe any student who chooses to attend Seattle University will feel at home!

victoria

This school is amazing and provides so many majors that not many schools offer. The small classroom sizes lead to professor-student relationship to be above mediocre and creates a bond. Friendliness pours out of this campus and everyone is accepting and open to any and all identifications one has. Provides LQBTQ+ options and allows everyone to be comfortable and accepted by creating such a diverse campus.

Dylan

I think I have made a great choice to pursue a higher education with Seattle U. I'm very active with sports and school, and couldn't be happier with the family unity in both athletics and in with the staff on campus. I had many schools to decide from when finally making the choice of Seattle U based on graduation rate, future success in the business world, class size and campus size.

Christina

My overall opinion of Seattle University is tough to write. Not because I don't know what to write, but because while I love some aspects of this school, I am very disappointed in the administration here. It seems like they care more about their salaries than their students. I am met with disrespect and lack of communication from them. Going to school here is expensive, and it seems like there is very limited amount of help on SU's part to give resources to low income students. It seems like SU expects each family to be rich and pay for all of their students expenses here. Yes, this is a private school, but that does not mean everything needs to be extremely expensive. An apartment on campus costs a little over a grand, per person, to rent. Totaling this up equals over four thousand dollars. For an apartment, this is outrageous, especially to those students supporting themselves. Prices for resources and tuition should not be that expensive if resources and quality of education and curriculum isn't going to be that great. The teachers are great; very inclusive and invested, but administration is not as invested in their students as they could be. This year has taught me a lot and I am seriously considering transferring.

Lynne

Seattle University has really interesting academic programs. In the College of Business, students can major in entrepreneurial studies along with accounting, economics or business management. Even though the campus is in the middle of a busy city, it is like going to school inside a park! The entire campus is 48 acres and a lot of that space is devoted to gardens and big, beautiful trees. Some students put up hammocks and study while swinging in the sunny breeze.