Saratoga Springs, NY
Skidmore College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Skidmore College

Great Experience. A little small in size, you know a lot of people. Great College town sports need to be encouraged more/ draw more student support

Four tables... Jocks, arts, hippies, international students. Sad, but true. It can be very obvious which students come from money.

some times. Fair amount of students which dont fall under these categories either.

Professors know all our names. Have to participate. Great I feel like I make a difference in class, not just one of many. Professors are very personable. Challenging, encourages you to work hard.

The sports teams are quite popular. Instant group of friends. Sports team members also have many other friends too. In the dorms, many leave their doors open. Suite style living is also very helpful for that type of an environment. Meet closest friends through sports and living arrangements. Party thurs-sat typically. Sometimes people go out on other nights, not as common. 2 am on a tuesday.. could be studying, writing a paper, watching a movie, or talking with friends. no frats or sororities, though it seemslike the sports teams kind of take on that role here. I enjoy not having frats or sororities at school. Sat night no drinking - events held in our student center. Can also hang out with friends, watch movies, go into town, shop, etc. Off campus, shop, go to restaurant, visit friends. go to parks.

Kate

Overall, Skidmore is great! I love the small class sizes, because it gives me a more personalized education. I learned a lot my first year, both in academics and in the greater social scheme of life. Although the professors and the overall education is great, the students and the overall attitude and mentality of people is a little cold and sheltered for my taste. Although I have made a lot of really fun and great friends, my general impression of my peers is that they are clones of one another and only care about the material things in life, and only want a good education, to make more money than the next guy.

Because Skidmore is so small, it seems that everyone knows everyone else on campus. If you are not from a small high school this may take some getting used to. It is a very strange feeling to know that people already know a lot about you and you of them if you have never even spoken to the person. It also seems that the student body is very clicky--in the dining hall, everyone sits in seemingly segregated areas. One side is for the jocks, and they divide into their sports teams; then their are the theater kids, the art kids, and the orchestra kids and it is up to everyone else to carve out their own niche.

These pretty much sum up a majority of the Skidmore population. At the very least, rich and liberal are pretty much dead on! Being the opposite of these characteristics, I really notice it.

The academics are great! The business program is really something else, in terms of real life preparation. I also took classes in art, history and English. I loved my art class, and my history class was my favorite so far, but I was a little disappointed by my English classes. I was not so fond of my professors and the way that they taught and therefore I was less eager to learn and absorb what they "taught" in their classes.

Skidmore always has a lot going on. The weekends start on Thursdays with performances, bands, dances, and of course parties. The social scene at Skidmore is as lively as any big university with the added perk of being sheltered away from town, and with a feeling of security when you know everyone that you see at any given party.

Preppy, rich, Jewish, Liberal, self-involved.

Alex

Skidmore is small, I think it is more apparent after freshman year. Most people either haven't heard of Skidmore or say that it's a really good school when I say that I go there. I have no problems with the administration, they seem in touch with the student body. I wouldn't say there is much school pride, hardly anyone goes to sports games. People are busy doing their own thing.

A jock would feel out of place at Skidmore. Students wear casual clothes to class, jeans etc. The dining hall is somewhat separated. Sports teams, like the baseball, basketball, and soccer teams of sit together for meals on one side, while the theatre/ artsy students sit on the other side. Most students are from upstate NY or Mass. Most students come from higher income households.

A lot of peopl do smoke, both cigarettes and pot. Not everyone fits into those categories, but both of those groups are big on campus.

Professors usually remember my name because most classes are small and all students participate on a regular basis. I do not talk to professors outside of class unless I have a specific question and concern, but they are very open to talking with their students outside of class time and all professors have specific office hours for this purpose. Intellectual converations outside of class seem to be common because students are taking classes that they are genuinely intererested in. The psychology major has a reputation of being one of the easier majors because it has less requirements, but students are always encouraged to take numerous classes beyond the requirements anyways. I completely switched my academic track after my frehsman year, and I felt somewhat behind because the classes I had taken did not count towards any future requirements for my major. I would have planned better if I had realized how carefully you have to plan your courses starting freshman year.

Benef-action, the volunteer group on campus, the environmental action club, the outing club, the ultimate frisbee club, the five a cappella groups, and the dance groups on campus are very popular. I have been involved in Benef-action since my freshman year, specifically as a Special Olympics Swim coach, which has been a positive addition to my weekly schedule. Benef-action has a number of different projects and programs to get involved with at any time, making it very easy to volunteer. I often do not go to bed before 1-2AM during the weekday because I am up doing work, so it is helpful that the lobrary stays open until 12AM and the student center and various other spots on campus stay open all night. There are no sororities or fraternities. Big parties are often located off-campus, but parties are still a regular occurence on campus on the weekends. I usually go to events-- dances, concerts, performances-- that are happening on campus on the weekend.

It's a hippie/ hipster school where everyone smokes pot and majors in art.

The best thing about Skidmore is that you can get anywhere on campus with ease, or get 'lost' in the northwoods and enjoy the scenery. One thing I would change is that people, including myself, don't seem to have any school spirit, and because of that, no one cares too much of what is going on around campus (i.e. school sponsored events, unless it is a big event). I spend most of my time at campus at the library, dining hall or the gym. Saratoga is not a college town in the sense that the prices at restraunts and other places are expensive (becuase it is a resort type area) but downtown and target/wal-mart are easy to get to (either get a friend with a car or take the bus). Skidmore's administration is good, they respond to issues that the student's care about, but it takes them a while to come up with a decision. The latest controversy on campus was the ineffeciency of the housing selection, the matter was acknowledged by the adminsitration, but no changes have been made.

Skidmore's student body is not very diversified. It is mostly white people, but everyone is very relaxed and nice to one another. Religion is not an issue on campus, as most people are not religious. However, if you are religious, people don't care too much and there are services that you can go to to keep up with your religious beliefs. The financial backgrounds that are most prevalent are middle-upper class to upper class white people. Students are generally more liberal than not at Skidmore.

yes, people tend to hang out in a certain group and don't like to get involved with different people (outside of their comfort zone) and therre are a good number of people that act kind of prudish, but not as many as you would think

I love the academic environment. The small classes allow students to understand what is going on in the classroom. The teachers get to know you (if you want) and if you have difficulties with a class, it is easy to go up to a teacher and set up meetings to see how to fix any problems a student might have in the clas or just to seek some help. Students are competitive, but on a friendly level. We are curious how our friends do, but no one is competing to do better that someone else. Skidmore's academic requirements are fair. I have no art skills, but managed to get that requirement out of the way and still managed a good grade in the class (unlike my brother who goes to a different school). The education at Skidmore is geared toward what ythe student wants. If a student's goal is to get a job, then he/she can set up his major that will be favorable to the job market, while on the other hand, stydents can set up their major to learn for its own sake without worrying about the job market

The most popular organiation is the outing club where people go on different events. I am more involved with work than any club. For guys, it is hard to randomly hook up with girls, if you are not officially dating a girl, than good luck hooking up.

laura

I would change the college town. I like that there is a pretty downtown area, but a lot of the social life revolves around being off campus. That's sometimes disappointing.

I think most Skidmore students are wealthier which makes it hard to find someone different. Social and economic background is something I would change about the school. It would be nice to meet people from different walks of life.

For some of the population I think it is true, but there is more variety than people talk about when it comes to individual interests.

I love that the professors know everyones names! It makes them more approachable. I've only had one big class where the teacher didn't really call us by our names; sure enough, I felt uncomfortable going in for extra help or sometimes even raising my hand to ask a question.

I think its hard to find something to do on the weekend if you don't drink. Maybe it's like that at all schools but I expected smaller schools to be a little bit more easy going.

Skidmore students are really artsy.

Chris

Skidmore is the perfect school for a creative individual who is willing to challenge his or her self academically. I came to Skidmore from a high school known for it's athletics. Being a theater major, I expected the transition to be wierd, but I did not expect it to take so long. I feel that the Skidmore culture is changing with each new class. In the past, people accepted that they were at Skidmore and not an Ivy League college and went about their four years focusing on their grades and trying to compete for top level graduate programs, not really taking an interest in developing the Skidmore community. Today's classes are creating programs, groups, majors etc. to challenge themselves and rival the education and communities found at the nation's top schools. Skidmore is still defining itself as a College each year that passes. This creates a fun, liberating environment to work in, where you are free to explore yourself and connect with others in creative ways.

Skidmore does not have a diverse campus. Most students are upper middle class and white. There is a small minority of racial students on campus and diversity is felt through activities and performances. Yet, Skidmore cannot offer as much scholarship money as competing schools, since it lacks a large endowment. Being a creative, hippie school, you'd think that Skidmore would have a very large LGBT community, but that's not the case. The community is sizable and their presence is felt, but it is not overbearing. Students are very politically aware. We predominantly care about environmental issues and human rights. Instead of talking about how much money they'll earn one day, student talk about whether or not money leads to happiness and if it is morally right or wrong to accumulate great wealth. Students are very active and the Outdoors club has a big following.

The Skidmore community is different for ever student depending on their interests. When I visited the campus for the first time, I felt at home, like I belonged in the area and at the college. I highly recommend visiting in the middle of the winter to see what most of the school year will be like. It gets cold, but it makes the Spring that much better.

The campus is very creative and intellectual. Students care about what goes on within the school community and find ways connect their learnings with the outside world.

I know all of my professors by name and I have most of their numbers in my cell phone. My advisor Bob Turner is one of the most passionate teachers I have ever had. He has encouraged me to take difficult courses that will challenge me to work and think in ways I wouldn't otherwise. Students are highly competitive and carry intellectual conversations after class. That being said, there is always an easy way to skate by and take the easiest classes possible for the best grades. However, the academic community at Skidmore discourages this and looks down upon it. The education at Skidmore is geared to making students think intellectually and creatively, not towards helping them find a job.

People who play sports at Skidmore support the sports program. That being said, not that many students care about our athletics program. I am involved in the Theater. I play intramural Dodgeball in the winter and soccer in the Fall. My freshman year I was supported by the television station SkidTV and I produced a sitcom about college life: www.collegeishard.tv Students leave their dorm doors open. The Skidmore community is very trusting. Guest speakers and theater are very popular. Each year the theater department holds the National College Comedy Festival. Also, the Improv Troupe "The AD Libs" and the sketch comedy troupe "The Sketchies" draw big crowds. I met my friends in my dorm and through my classes. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday night I am studying. Traditions: The Naked Run...enough said Partying is not a big deal on campus. Like anywhere, if you want to drink, you can find parties. Usually parties are small and don't involve hard drinking. People like to party with close friends and be social, rather than spend their nights self medicating. Late Night is an organization that puts on entertainment every weekend. Stand-up comedians and bands perform almost every weekend. Also, students go to theater, accapella and comedy shows. Off campus is Saratoga Springs. I'll occasionally walk into town to buy records, stop at CVS or watch a movie.

Students think that the campus is hippie, apathetic, trendy, intellectual, and creative.

Jess

The best thing about Skidmore is the way the academics are set up - so many departments are so supportive of you taking a class there even if you have no major or minor plans in the area. Many departments also make you take class outside of their department so you are more well-rounded. Being in Saratoga Springs, we have the advantage of a rich campus life and a great downtown for getting off campus. Skidmore has a great relationship with the downtown area.

The student body is incredibly diverse. No student would feel out of place there - there's a group for everyone. The student population on campus is constantly changing since sooo many people go abroad. Students are primarily left-wing, but John Ashcroft came to campus and it was the most widely attended and discussed event in the college's history.

Not of the whole student body, but Skidmore is so diverse you could say anything about the student population and find someone or a group of people who fits that description. It's often said the only thing all Skidmore students have in common is we didn't get into Vassar!

Professors know your name in the smaller classes or inside your major. Students study A LOT. Class participation is huge and vital to the type of classes offered at Skidmore. My most unique and favorite class was Bharata Natyam, which is classical India dance, taught in classical Indian tradition - may sound like an odd class, but it filled very fast every semester when it was offered. During Senior year, I spent a good deal of time with professors outside of class on my senior project, and I am in close contact with my favorite professor who retired, and we e-mail all the time.

Dorm life is great, most students move to singles by sophomore year, and is only in doubles by choice after that. Dorms are suite style, and apartments on campus are available to upperclassmen. Campus is dry, but the Northwoods apartments are not.

Skidmore students are seen as very liberal, hippie-ish, and very smart. They are percieved as major environmentalists as well.

Krista

Skidmore is the perfect fit for me. I love the small campus, college town feel, and academic opportunities. With that said, I recognize that it is not the school for everyone. Few people from my hometown have even heard of the school. Recently, the Skidmore student body has really attacked the diversity issue. Overall, Skidmore has challenged me personally and academically for the positive.

Most Skidmore students are white, upper-middle to upper class, politically liberal, from the northeast, and...female. The student body is largely homogeneous, which often hinders their ability to see the other side. As a student from very conservative, rural PA, I sometimes feel in the positition to represent the "other side" of arguments. We are also not the most racially diverse campus. It does not help that members of other races associate almost exclusively with each other.

To some degree. All of these groups exist at Skidmore, but it is difficult to nail down a "Skidmore type." When I am walking around downtown, I can identify Skidmore students, and not necessarily because they fit a stereotype.

I am a Women's Studies/Business double major, which gives me a unique perspective. As a business major, I am exposed to talented professionals, who have chosen to incorporate teaching into their careers. As a women's studies major, I am exposed to multi-faceted scholars and activists. Professors know my name, and I feel comfortable saying "Hi" to them outside of the classroom. Class participation is not only common, it is often incorporated into the final grade. Unfortunately, I am not the most vocal member of most of my classes, but I enjoy visiting my professors during their office hours to discuss questions and my interest in the subject area.

Skidmore has an insane number of social opportunities. Sporting events are not the most popular of these options. I would say that more people come to art shows and dance performances than athletic games. Some of the yearly events include Junior Ring (a formal dance) and Fun Day (the last Friday or Saturday before the end of classes). Partying is common but by no means necessary. It sounds bizarre, but most of the people I have encountered are "smart partiers." I hear people in the dining hall on Friday evenings saying, "Yeah, I'm going downtown to the bars tonight, but I need to get started on the paper tomorrow as well." I have friends that drink and others that do not, and there is no conflict between the two groups.

pot smokers, artsy, largely Jewish student body, wealthy, homogeneous, liberal

Rebecca

i love the size, love that everyone is socially aware, love saratoga, love the profs

everyone is really attractive and trendy and cool. there are a lot of store-bought hippies, and a lot of real ones. very few jocks. its frusterating sometimes that the student body is so polarized, most people have the exact same feelings on social issues and that leads to a lot of lazyness within social change.

too many white kids, too much pressure to go out on weekends, but overall a great school.

almost everyone is liberal and parties, most people are wealthy and smoke, and sometimes i feel like there are approximetly 10 people of color on campus.

being a pothead, party-er, super liberal, rich white kid.

Ben

Skidmore is a wonderful school... the campus is small making it easy for incoming freshmen to feel right at home. For the most part everyone gets a long. The fact that the campus is so small makes living on campus very easy. However the size can be some what claustrophobic. Seeing the same people day after day can be very tiresome which is why it is suggested to head to NYC for a weekend. If you come from a city, you will find party life slow and boring but after a semester in school you will become accustomed to it.

Jocks, Indies, and independents. If you play a sport you hang out with the jocks... Definition- Northeastern prepsters who wear salmon colored shirts, khaki pants, boater shoes, and a polo baseball cap. If you reside in the art / music department you will hang out the Indies.... Definition- New Yorker who wears skin tight black jeans, ray-ban sunclasses, Niki Dunks, and a plad shirt. The acting kids are somewhat like this but they are the most selective of the people they chill with..aka... if you dont act, you will never hang out with the theater crew. As for me, I have had a much different experience... not your usual Skidmore experience. I am a businnes major / Spanish minor with an interest in acting. I act in the shows at school but I find myself hanging out with almost every type of student. Thats the beauty of Skidmore... there are a lot of students with different interests.

Indeed they are true. If you play a sport you are only going to hang out with jocks and if you like to paint or act then you will hang out with people that are into those activities

Tough! The classes level of difficulty depends on what teachers you get but for the most part the work load is heavy. For the English and History classes dont bullshit. You can get away with that a little more with the business classes.

Campus activities are bad... The school needs to do a better job. Party life is fun but takes time to get used to. It mostly involves keg parties and for those with fake ID's or have 21 years, there is a fun college bar scene in town.

There is a split between artsy Liberals and northeaster broes.

Skidmore College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.