Fairfield, CA
Solano Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Solano Community College

luisa

Solano community college is a place in which an individual can embody their hopes and dreams; naturally, as a mother looking to enhance and expand my education and my repertoire of skills, Solano was my ideal choice. After spending a year at Chico State University, I felt discouraged due to the steep prices, distant professors, and unfocused environment. My first semester at Solano proved to be an environment that was a catalyst of encouragement, accessibility and efficiency. I have been provided with a rich source for networking as well as opportunities for experience that is necessary in today?s world.

As I look at myself four years ago, I am touched to see the same heart and curiosity that glows in my face today. I can see the enthusiasm to socialize. learn and ultimately enter a field that would lead me to richness. If I could speak with myself, even just for a moment, a would remind myself about the true purpose of college. I would start off by agreeing with my past self, college is a prime opportunity to build a personal network, to connect with peers and professors, and develop relationships that will prove exceptionally useful in the future. However, these networks are not the most important attribute of college; the true gem is the opportunity to enhance and broaden one?s mind. I truly believe that the human mind and heart are directly connected, and in order to properly and effectively develop the strength of the mind, one must realize the passions of the heart. College is the optimal chance to find what it is that gets your blood pumping, and what your mind craves to learn more about. This balance will ultimately lead to a richness that can not be bought by money.

Solano Community College is a great opportunity for students of all types. It has a rich student body ranging from students straight out of high school, to transfers from other colleges, adults looking to get back into school, post-graduate students, and many more. At Solano Students are looking for their chance to become a successful person, so anyone who enrolls with the intent to hinder the learning experience of others should not attend this school. Everyone deserves a chance at bettering themselves, and Solano is the opportune place to do that, and overt distractions negatively affect the environment.

Reema

Academic standards at Solano Community College (SCC) are equivalent/more stringent than those at universities. This is because SCC has transfer agreements with highly respected universities like University of California at Berkeley and Davis. Most teachers have Ph.D.s, are experts in their fields, and have life-long experiences as practitioners and teachers. You get high ?academic? knowledge AND the benefit of real-world experience. That?s why in my view, SCC students are getting even better quality education than at UC Berkeley/Davis. If you are looking for easy education, SCC is NOT the school for you.

If I can go back, I would have done at least three things: 1. Forced myself to think, and perhaps eve decide what I want to study in college. 2. Took classes that better prepared me for my college major. Because I did not do that, I am struggling and taking preparatory classes that I should have taken in high school, thus using precious college time and paying college fees. 3. Kept all my class materials and notes. I threw away most of my high school class lectures and notes. I wish I kept those and I wish I kept them in an organized fashion so I can go back to them quickly and easily. Those notes would have sparkled my memory and saved me the time that I now have to spend finding these materials and re-learning them.

The most frustrating thing I had is class cancellation at the last minute. Sometimes you plan ahead and enroll in a class and after you to the classroom you get informed the class has been cancelled due to insufficient enrollment or some other reason. Another frustrating thing is instructors? turnover. You can never count on taking a class with s specific teacher at a specific semester because that instructor may be teaching a different class or may not be teaching at all that semester.p

Alexandria

I would tell myself that it is ok to be unsure. I would say "I know you think you have everything figured out right now but there is so much out there that you haven't even considered. You have worked so hard during high school to try to be perfect and you think that if you don't transfer to a 4-year university and finish your degree in 4 years that you are a failure. You aren't! Taking your time to figure out what you want to do is a great journey, and guess what, you're going to have fun! Enjoy your time and don't compare yourself to others. You can't go back in time so live in every moment and don't be so hard on yourself. You're going to look back one day and wish you would have taken more time to look at the scenery instead of rushing to the destination. Above all, do your best and enjoy yourself because it goes by way to fast!" Now that I've learned all of that I just have to take the words to heart and live them out now!

I wish I had known that it doesn't matter how long it takes me to figure out what I want to do as long as in the end I am happy with my decisions. I shouldn't have felt pressured to decide right away. It is my life and the choices and decisions I make help define who I am going to be and what I am going to do in the future, so I should have fun while I do it!

Anyone who isn't really sure what they want to do should go to a community college. It is so much cheaper per unit and it gives you such a variety of classes that you can feel free to try things out until you find out what you like.

Gina

Go to college immediately after graduating from High School. Don't focus on one area that much, find what you love and what interests you. Something that you are willing to do for free. Do not take time off, stay enrolled in college until you have accomplished your goal. Take some General Ed classed first, get the feel of the transition from High School. Never take time off, money is important, but education is more important. Study various subjects, get the feel of things before you focus on one subject. As a young adult our minds tend to change often. Happiness is far more important than how much money you make. If you are not happy at your place of employment, everyone around you will be effected. Love, happiness, then money are the order of importance . Learn as much as possible, and retain as much as possible. Knowledge is power and cannot be taken from you.

The worst thing about my school is when we have technological problems at home or at the school. It can really set you back. Due to the fact that we get monsoons, our satellite connection often will have issues.

Anthony

The college offers a wide variety of courses and degrees that can satisfy anyones desires, and they offer these courses at a low and affordable rate so getting an Associate's Degree or even just taking transferable General Education courses isn't a hassle for even the most budget-conscious sutdent can take what classes they may need.

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would most likely tell myself to begin looking into and signing up for scholarships, grants and financial aid so that I could have more money for my first semester of college than I did, and because of how recently I've needed such things. I would also tell myself to devote more time to my studies, work and art so that I would be better prepared for college, its workload and the classes I would be taking. Finally, I would also advise myself to look into multiple art colleges and what their financial aid departments offer so that I would be fully prepared to transfer after recieving an Associate's Degree at my current college.

The only person who wouldn't want to attend this college is anyone looking for a Master's Degree program, or someone looking for a college to transfer to after completing General Education courses.

most are struggling with finacial issues trying to educate themselves to obtain careers where the can better take care of themselves as well as there famlies.

If the possibility presented itself to take a trip back into the past and talk to myself as a senior in High School, the stories I would tell myself and the advice I would give would be priceless. The most important thing I would explain to myself would be how imparative a higher education is to become an accomplished succesful adult. Without education you will go nowhere, life will be more stressful, and you will be subject to be steamroled by people getting over on you because you know no better. When you become educated, you become accomplished, you gain confidence as more doors of opportunity open to endless possibilities. Do not let anyone or anything intimidate you from acheiving your goals. It is okay to be scared and not know how to get started just jump in feet first and figure it out along the way and gain momentum, that is how you move onward and upward. Always work at making yourself better, you will never know your full potential or how far you can go untill you push yourself at full throttle.

The only student who should not attend any school is one that has no desire to improve themselves or futher their education.

Aron

They're a lot more intelligent and mature overall than the people I was used to associating myself with in high school, which I think is mostly a product of the fact that all ages can attend college, not just young chips fresh out of high school such as myself. I think another contributing factor is the Fairfield community, which I am fairly new to, but from what I've seen, the people here are generally more polite and civilized than in most of the cities I've lived.

It's probably a lot more interpersonal, since the size permits people to get to know each other fairly easily, possibly involuntarily. Aside from that, I don't consider it to be very unique at all actually, it probably looks just like your local community college, albeit a little smaller. I know for certain I won't achieve my full potential here, so I'm looking to transfer to UC Davis as soon as I can get the money to continue taking classes for the necessary credits.

"Get up, start preparing for college, and take it seriously." It seems like a simple and generic response, but do you know how many people could have benefited from hearing those words alone? While I was a junior in high school, it seems almost everyone was on my case about preparing for college, even though I myself wasn't too adamant on worrying about it until the time came. My uncle, my mother, my grandmother, even my girlfriend kept saying the same thing: "Have you applied for any scholarships yet?" Each and every time, garnered a response along the lines of "No, but I'll get around to it, don't worry". But it seems every time I would get around to applying for scholarships, I was deterred by the amount of forms I needed to fill; after all, birth and tax records aren't exactly something people normally keep immediately accessible. Now that I'm finally here, I'm broke and struggling to get by I need this opportunity in order to continue my education and be somebody. I've lived a smalltown life all my life and I want to move on. Please help me.

Konitra

The advice that I would give myself was eventhough you just finished 12 years of school NOW is the time to continue on the process of furthuring your education becuase time will past so fast you will wonder what happened and instead of 10 years from now when you want to try and go back to school to get a better education because you cant find an good enough paying job for you and your two kids...you can just go ahead and do it now and have all the things that you want at an early age instead of struggling your way trhough. I know this may be going in one ear and out of the other, but its better for you to listen now. I can show you my life and what happened to me better than I can tell you. Come live with me for a week and then let me know how you feel about school. I am sure you will start your college education NOW.

I have found that if you take early classes you will be in class with people who care about their education. In the afternoon classes you get the students who dont really care a lot about their education and will interrupt the class and not care. Most of the students in the afternoon classes are just taking classes to take them and not to get anything out of them.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself that everything will be ok and it will all work out in time. I would tell myself to make sure that all the classes I sign up for transfer to Sonoma State University. To not mess around and do all my work because in the long run all I will be doing is hurting myself if I don?t do the work. I would also tell myself not to over lode myself with classes, it?s not high school anymore there is a lot more homework in college then there was in high school. I would also tell myself to not let my learning disability hold me back, I can do anything. To use all of my disability services from the start don?t wait until the last moment to try to use them, they are there for you to use them. Finally I would tell myself that I'm in charge of my education now. I?m in charge of my future and in time all my hard work will pay off.

I go to a commuity college so there are a lot of reasons why people are there. However, most of them are there because they have just graduated high school and dont know what they are going to do or what universty they want to go to. Becasue they are unsure the class room envioment sometimes is bad, due to they dont seem to care about their education so they will goof around in class. Also the lack of manatory classes offered prolongs graduting or tranfering.

Tamara

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would tell myself that going to college is not an option, it is a necessity. I would tell myself that an education is what puts you above your competitors- not how much money you?ve made in your lifetime or what jobs you?ve previously held. When it comes right down to the facts, an employer will hire someone with an education/degree even if two job candidates were equally qualified. I would also tell myself that you don?t have to go right to a four-year college right out of high school. Many times, students are discouraged about going to college because they are not qualified to apply to a four-year college due to poor grades or financial reasons. Sometimes, a Community College is the best avenue to take and it is always a less expensive option. I would also tell myself to enjoy school and take your time to find out what YOU really want to do in life. Many people pick majors or degrees to please someone else instead of really thinking about what their own destiny is in life.

The worst thing about Solano Community College right now is the fact that they are going through an accreditation process and everything is up in the air. There has been many classes canceled and which leaves the fact that many people are not able to take their necessary classes.

The most frustrating thing about Solano CC is the fact that within Student Services (Admission, Financial Aid, Counseling, etc.)- there are always tremendous lines. The people helping the students are frustrated and are in a rush to get you out of the way. On too many occasions, incorrect information is given to the students. In many cases, this has resulted in unnecessary classes taken and time wasted.

Solano Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.