Fairfield, CA
Solano Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Solano Community College

Aron

They're a lot more intelligent and mature overall than the people I was used to associating myself with in high school, which I think is mostly a product of the fact that all ages can attend college, not just young chips fresh out of high school such as myself. I think another contributing factor is the Fairfield community, which I am fairly new to, but from what I've seen, the people here are generally more polite and civilized than in most of the cities I've lived.

It's probably a lot more interpersonal, since the size permits people to get to know each other fairly easily, possibly involuntarily. Aside from that, I don't consider it to be very unique at all actually, it probably looks just like your local community college, albeit a little smaller. I know for certain I won't achieve my full potential here, so I'm looking to transfer to UC Davis as soon as I can get the money to continue taking classes for the necessary credits.

"Get up, start preparing for college, and take it seriously." It seems like a simple and generic response, but do you know how many people could have benefited from hearing those words alone? While I was a junior in high school, it seems almost everyone was on my case about preparing for college, even though I myself wasn't too adamant on worrying about it until the time came. My uncle, my mother, my grandmother, even my girlfriend kept saying the same thing: "Have you applied for any scholarships yet?" Each and every time, garnered a response along the lines of "No, but I'll get around to it, don't worry". But it seems every time I would get around to applying for scholarships, I was deterred by the amount of forms I needed to fill; after all, birth and tax records aren't exactly something people normally keep immediately accessible. Now that I'm finally here, I'm broke and struggling to get by I need this opportunity in order to continue my education and be somebody. I've lived a smalltown life all my life and I want to move on. Please help me.

Konitra

The advice that I would give myself was eventhough you just finished 12 years of school NOW is the time to continue on the process of furthuring your education becuase time will past so fast you will wonder what happened and instead of 10 years from now when you want to try and go back to school to get a better education because you cant find an good enough paying job for you and your two kids...you can just go ahead and do it now and have all the things that you want at an early age instead of struggling your way trhough. I know this may be going in one ear and out of the other, but its better for you to listen now. I can show you my life and what happened to me better than I can tell you. Come live with me for a week and then let me know how you feel about school. I am sure you will start your college education NOW.

I have found that if you take early classes you will be in class with people who care about their education. In the afternoon classes you get the students who dont really care a lot about their education and will interrupt the class and not care. Most of the students in the afternoon classes are just taking classes to take them and not to get anything out of them.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself that everything will be ok and it will all work out in time. I would tell myself to make sure that all the classes I sign up for transfer to Sonoma State University. To not mess around and do all my work because in the long run all I will be doing is hurting myself if I don?t do the work. I would also tell myself not to over lode myself with classes, it?s not high school anymore there is a lot more homework in college then there was in high school. I would also tell myself to not let my learning disability hold me back, I can do anything. To use all of my disability services from the start don?t wait until the last moment to try to use them, they are there for you to use them. Finally I would tell myself that I'm in charge of my education now. I?m in charge of my future and in time all my hard work will pay off.

I go to a commuity college so there are a lot of reasons why people are there. However, most of them are there because they have just graduated high school and dont know what they are going to do or what universty they want to go to. Becasue they are unsure the class room envioment sometimes is bad, due to they dont seem to care about their education so they will goof around in class. Also the lack of manatory classes offered prolongs graduting or tranfering.

Tamara

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would tell myself that going to college is not an option, it is a necessity. I would tell myself that an education is what puts you above your competitors- not how much money you?ve made in your lifetime or what jobs you?ve previously held. When it comes right down to the facts, an employer will hire someone with an education/degree even if two job candidates were equally qualified. I would also tell myself that you don?t have to go right to a four-year college right out of high school. Many times, students are discouraged about going to college because they are not qualified to apply to a four-year college due to poor grades or financial reasons. Sometimes, a Community College is the best avenue to take and it is always a less expensive option. I would also tell myself to enjoy school and take your time to find out what YOU really want to do in life. Many people pick majors or degrees to please someone else instead of really thinking about what their own destiny is in life.

The worst thing about Solano Community College right now is the fact that they are going through an accreditation process and everything is up in the air. There has been many classes canceled and which leaves the fact that many people are not able to take their necessary classes.

The most frustrating thing about Solano CC is the fact that within Student Services (Admission, Financial Aid, Counseling, etc.)- there are always tremendous lines. The people helping the students are frustrated and are in a rush to get you out of the way. On too many occasions, incorrect information is given to the students. In many cases, this has resulted in unnecessary classes taken and time wasted.

Chelsey

I am a hardworking individual who enjoys setting goals and persuing them.

I am a hardworking individual who enjoys setting goals and persuing them.

As a senior in high school, I would like to have known how important it is to chose the right school for you, and not your parents or other relationships. The process of choosing your college should be an important choice for yourself and it should be a place you want to live in for the next some years. The transition to school is much easier when it is a place you love.

The type of person who should not attend Solano Community College is one who does not wish to have a college education. People who attend this school to only gain personal socializing with friends are the people who should not be in college.

Christina

I would tell myself to stop being lazy. Until this year, when I changed my major, I had been taking meaningless classes. This is my second year in college and I still have yet to take an English class. I'm not even halfway done with my general education. Also, I would tell myself to know what college I want to go to and if it's a comm. college, figure out which school to transfer to. Since I changed my major to Physics, I had to research different colleges I never would have thought to transfer to beforehand because I didn't know I wanted to get into Astrophysics. It's harder to get back on track when you're supposed to and expected to be halfway through your college career after 2 years, but you're really just starting over.

I think that the best thing about my school is the science classes. I've only taken Astronomy so far, but next semester I will take Chemistry and Pre-Cal until I have all of the prereq's in order to start taking Physics classes. I love my Astronomy class. The whole idea of the universe and the stars is fascinating to me. Solano also has many great labs you can go to in order to study or do homework.

I think the worst thing about the school is some of the requirements for classes. I do think that it's good that they have math labs, english labs, etc. but I don't think it should be required to have 16 or more hours in the lab to pass the class. Some students prefer not going and studying or doing homework by themselves, and other students are too busy to find time to go to the lab. I think it should be optional instead of required.

Solano Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.