Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Virginia

If I could go back, I would tell myself to follow my instictions when it comes to school, because my college experience has been great, and i feel so good about the school I picked. Also, take those math classes a bit sooner so you're not scrmabling to get them done at the last minute.

Everyone is incredibly nice and helpful, from peers to teachers. It's a small school, so there is not the competitiveness of other schools. Forming close friendships that will last a lifetime happens here becuase the people who choose this school come with a similar mind set of what they want out of life.

You really have to get involved with your neighbors and activities apround school if you want to have a social life. Having fun isn't something that will happen without having to seek it.

nursing and business programs.

nursing and business programs.

You aren't going to stick with an English major. Try for scholarships to calarts or academy of the arts.

trying to register for classes. they fill up way too fast and some people dont get any of the classes they needed. things are getting even worse with the budget cuts because there are even less classes to choose from.

Its very libral, and very much community orriented

Its very libral, and very much community orriented

My advice for parents/students finding the right college would be, to keep your options opens, go to the college you wish to attend and that best fits you, and start preparing ealry.

Its libral, environmental friendly, its a small school, and its community orriented

Jenna

most seem to consider college is an in and out thing where you go just to get your degree

I find a lot of students that I work with come to Sonoma State because it is a beautiful place, but I also find a lot of students leave my school because the campus life was not what they expected. I would suggest that students not only look at the environment but campus life, availability of classes, and how the campus applies to his or her field of interest. The best way to get a feel for the campus is by visiting it during the school year, take a campus tour and talk to the university students. If you can't afford to visit a school, a lot of universities have virtual tours now. There are also great networking websites, such as facebook, in which you could find students who attend the campus in question.

lack of available classes, have to fight to get into the classes that you need. stressful registration. Just had my linguistics class cut because of state budget cuts

Kendall

A college should be one a student and family can afford. No matter how fancy the college, keep in mind that it is the student who makes the college, using it's unique resources to further enrich their own education. Some students may need more time to determine which career path to take. There is nothing wrong or embarrasing about attending a junior college close to home. What matters more is a student's personal pride in their own education. Preparation is everything. Students who have participated in extracirricular activities and developed good study habits throughout high school will find the college transition much easier to make. As for students like me who were not the most social in high school and who did not have education as a top priority, will be in for a harder transition once college starts. College is the time to accept whatever mistakes we have made in the past and move forward. Whatever college experience a student will have is their responsibility to actively shape. There will be many experiences, both good and bad, that is life. Time is something a college freshman still has pelnty of. Put it to good use friends.

I wish I had known how a major or higher education would be applicable in the real world. A major is an important choice, yet not a guarantee of getting the career I want. I wish I had know that the skills and knowledge I would obtain on the path to my major would matter more to my possible employers more. Maybe then I could have made some wiser coursework choices.

The president and higher figures are now required to make cuts and rise costs for the sake of keeping the University up and running. I wish they showed a bit more human empathy for the hardships the state government and them have now put on us students.

Will

Students are thought to really think and consider different approaches instead of just memorizing facts.

When looking for colleges, I was focusing on big name colleges and ignoring which schools had what I really wanted to study. I did get in to UC schools and larger schools but was really drawn to the Humanistic Psychology department at Sonoma State University. I recently graduated and am very happy with my decision. I would advice prospective students to look for campuses with majors that interest them, have a diverse student body, and are in an area they would want to live in. Of course one should consider financial issues as well. When attending college I highly recommend getting involved in on campus events. It is the best way to meet a lot of people and keep busy. Many of my peers would get into trouble or live unhealthy lifestyles when not faced with enough to do. Many schools offer programs for any interest and it is a great way to meet other people with similar outgoing attitudes.

Environmentally concerned individual who is curious and interested in learning. Many of the students at SSU are friendly and motivated to being succesful in their field. The majority of students are liberal and bring a lot of unique personalities to the school.

Cina

Whatever you do, don't apply to every college you can think of. At 50 bucks a pop, it's not exactly the best route...financially. Choosing the best college involves some research. I know, I know. Research is something to do IN college, not while you're looking for one. But it still needs to be done. Think of it as practice! You'll want to figure out what you want to study first, and then narrow your search by finding colleges that offer that area of study. Once you've got a few solid choices, the best way to gauge a good fit is to visit the colleges you're interested in. Always visit on a day when classes are actually in session and students are roaming the campus. Observe their behavior. Are they smiling as they head off to class, or do they look like they'd rather eat a flaming pile of cow manure? And finally, once you make your decision and begin your college life, remember that what you get out of college is determined by how much you put into it. So make lots of friends, try not to procrastinate, and have some fun!

The best thing about Sonoma State is it's size. As a young'un I was put through Catholic school for every year of my academic career, so a sudden change to a large bustling campus might have freaked me out. Sonoma's small campus gives it a family feel...I rarely walk to class without seeing two or three people that I can chat with before realizing I'm late. The people are really friendly, and it's definitely a relaxed and chilled out environment. I couldn't ask for more in a school.

I'm not gonna lie to you. Before you consider Sonoma, you should really decide how you feel about the smell of cow manure. Yes, that's right. Cow manure. It's a little thing we Sonoma State natives like to call ..."The Sonoma Aroma." Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Anyway, every now and then it reeks of cow manure. You might want to hurl the first few times, but after a month of being at SSU, your nose becomes immune to it. It's like having a superpower, only a slighly less impressive one.

Christina

When I imagined what college would be like, I imagined huge buildings, enormous lecture classes, a large campus with crowds of people bustling around, loud music, parties, and kids flying by on skateboards late to class. Sonoma is everything BUT that picture. Except for the skateboards. Sonoma is a small, quiet school that's actually very environmentally conscious. We are one of the "greenest" campuses around. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Also, our dorms HAVE to be the best dorms in the country. Honest. They're like apartments, come see for yourself :)

Please don't apply for any and every school you can think of. At $50 per application, it's not exactly financially practical. The best way to pick the right college is research. I know, I know. Research is something to do IN college, not while you're looking for one. But you might as well use it as a little practice, right? First, even if it's really vague, figure out what you want to study...it's a good starting point. Some schools are "known" for certain programs of study, so it'll narrow your search a little. Also, decide if you're an urban or rural dweller. There's nothing worse than being a city kid stuck in a small town. Finally, visit colleges while they're in session. Observe the students on campus. Do they look happy while headed to class, or do they look like they would rather drop out of school and work at Burger King? (Seen it). Once you decide on a school, keep in mind that what you get out of your college experience depends on what you put into it. Study hard, make friends, and have fun. Can't go wrong.

Sonoma State is a small, beautiful campus. It's definitely a little "out in the middle of nowhere," in the sense that it's located in a small town. If you're a city dweller, this school probably isn't for you. If you like a calm, relaxing environment to learn in, then Sonoma is perfect. If you need that white noise of a bustling city, you might find yourself up late at night unable to sleep and wondering why it always smells like cows on certain days of the week. The sonoma aroma. Don't worry, you'll adjust.

Mike

Finding the right college means that you have found a place where you feel comfortable, happy, and able to excel in an academic environment. In order to make the most of the college experience, it is very important to get involved in something (such as student administration, greek life, intramurals, student clubs/organizations, etc. ) so that you may apply yourself in a positive way while at the same time having fun.

Sonoma State University is an ideal place for any student who is receptive to a somewhat small-school experience while at the same time, is open-minded, creative, and willing to be a part of their community.

The thing I like best about Sonoma State is the small-school atmosphere, without a feeling of being too overwhelmed or too distant from the rest of the student body, the faculty, and/or the community. The student housing is also top notch, and the campus itself is very pretty.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.