Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sonoma State University

Courtney

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself that hard work and dedication are the keys to obtaining an education. I would inform myself that hard work and dedication in academics is important however those two characteristics are needed in other aspects of transitioning to college and successfully completing the college experience. I was unable to enroll for the spring 2010 semester because I did not work hard to find other means to pay for my education and now I have to involuntarily take a semester off of school because of that lack of determination in that aspect of my college career. I would also tell myself to use those characteristics in extra-curricular activities and community service because my persistence in those areas allowed me to network with other student and craft a place for myself in my school community as a leader. I would share this secret with my high school self because this information is often generalized and intelligent active students like I fall victim to the life lessons we wish someone would have shared.

Devin

Hello anxiously-awaiting-the-start-of-college-high-school-student! Please listen to what I have to say. College may seem like mountain of intimidation with its steep unconquerable slopes, but do not be afraid! Do not hold back from applying to the school of your dreams because you do not think you are good enough. Do not be afraid to move away from home and leave your family and friends behind. Immerse yourself into this exciting new chapter of your life you are about to enter! Read the fine print on every e-mail that comes your way from the college of your dreams, that size 9 point font will get you! Keep a calender of important dates to remember, but really you must remember that you are entering a new time in your life and these changes you are about to face are changes many students before you have surmounted!

I wish I had known more about the strong presence of Greek life on my campus. This aspect was not one that could be readily researched on the school website nor could I discover this on a one day tour of Sonoma State University. If I had known about this beforehand I may have chosen to attend a small liberal arts college that does not have such a prevalent Greek culture. Now that I am here I truly appreciate the efforts Greek makes to unify our students.

The kind of person that should not attend Sonoma State University is unneighborly. Since it is such a small campus there is not the feeling of anonymity you might get at larger schools. This campus has a tight-knit community filled with people who want to help you along your path to sucess. At Sonoma State University you will likely get to know your professors on a first name basis and you are guaranteed to see familiar faces everywhere you go!

Ma

Sonoma State University has a relaxed environment thats give it's students the opportunity to learn and enjoy one self.

I would tell myself to study harder because college is much harder than high school work. Also, be more open to new people and friends because everyone is going through the same experience. Although, the food is difficult, you should be more mindful of your spending habits. Do not work on schoolwork and essays the very last minute becuase it will take more time to write and edit than it did in high school. You will have more time to yourself because you can choose what classes you want and when to take them, so schedule wisely. Do not stress over how many units you have or do not have because there will be more chances to add classes and you will have more priority in the coming years to pick classes. This dorm is not only yours, it belongs to everybody else; so do not take on all of the responsibility of the suite. Do not stress too much over grades and school work; learn to have fun.

Sonoma State University has the finest living style in all of California; it offers less expensive dorms that includes a living room and a bathroom. The campus is beautiful encompasing many different types of trees, a large garden and even a lake. The students are very laid-back and they create a supportive community. The professors create personal connections with their students and truly want all the students to do well and achieve the best that they can achieve. We have an environmentally advanced recreational center and a brand new music building.

Eric

Sonoma state is known for their small class sizes, comfortable dormitories, beautiful location, and excellent student teacher relations. The small class sizes allow for a quality education from teachers who care about each student. The teachers can make time to help each student individually and they usually remember their student?s names. The dorms are some of the best in the country and the school is located in the middle of beautiful wine country. It is also known to be a mellow campus with students who care more about academics than about drinking and partying.

If I could talk to myself in high school I would say ?Eric, success is attainable in any field, don?t sell yourself short. The potential exists inside of you, develop it and dream big.? I have severe A.D.H.D. and Dyslexia so I never thought I would be able to succeed in higher education. I was always told that everyone has talents, but I never felt that I was good at anything and assumed a low-income future. My mother made me take college classes in business and economics, which I ended up acing. I then realized that I did have my talents and education was an obtainable goal. This gave birth to a growing intensity in my study patterns and work ethic. I knew it would take more than business and econ classes to graduate, so I brought my spelling, reading, handwriting, and mental focus to center stage and worked hard to improve upon them. My work ethic now allows me to get A?s in everything, regardless of subject matter. I would inform myself that school is not a test of intelligence in which only the smartest survive, but it is a test of determination.

I would say that the worst thing about my school is the lack of social activities. Most of the students go home during the weekends which make finding weekend events a challenge. Although the lack of activities leads to more time for schoolwork, it would be nice to have something to do after all the work is finished. There are fraternities and sororities that you can join but outside of them there is not much going on. However, I do feel that the small class sizes and general focus on education more than makes up for the lacking social life.

Wendy

My classmates have been interesting. I have been in two different majors and feel the people vary according to their career and life goals. In the biology/chem department people are very competitive. But they are still helpfull to their peers. In the kinesiology department everyone is out for themselves and not willing to be helpfull. In the pre-health department everyone is helpfull and friendly. They all want the same thing and bond with eachother about it.

Now that I know how much your highschool education matters, I would tell myself to participate a little more. It is important if you want to do well in life and in college that you have the skills and basics from those highschool years. They build on eachother and teach you more then just information. They teach you how to get along with people even when you might not want to, conflict management, study skills, career goals, how to remember information, and how to pick classes that will benifit your goals. I wish I spent more time learning in highschool and less time fighting the fact that I had to be there. Since Im going into a health science I could really have used that extra time to learn about these things and also about myself. I feel like Im behind in all the basics of school. I had to catch up when I first started college and it has taken years to feel like Im somewhat prepared for life. Highschool is an opportunity and I would tell myself to take hold of it and use it for good instead of bad. I would have told myself to enjoy it.

It is an all around good school. I didnt expect or want to go here, but am glad I decided to stay local. It has helped me with almost every need or want, and have been pretty open and helpful when I needed something. I feel prepared to go onto my graduate program, and that the departments have individually helped my with my career goals even if I wasnt signed up with them. We have a great pre-health program, and I feel like without them I would have had a hard time deciding where to go with my life.

Brittney

If I could go back to my senior year and tell my self about what the past two and a half years have been like I would tell my self to get invovled early. To not let roommates stand in the way of getting invovled and meeting people. that though the two year relationship with a serious boyfriend ended badly that life is still amazing and the people I have meet through my travels for the residental community are friendships that will last forever. But mainly GET INVOLVED EARLY, school is important but the friendships you make outside the class are important too. Never be afraid to be myself because who I am is special and what I can offer the world is amazing.

One who is interested in being more of a individual and less of a number. the class sizes are small and the professors take the time to get to know who their students are. There are tons of clubs to get involved with including sports related clubs.

that getting classes is tough because of budget cuts and furloughs for the school.

As a senior in high school I was very concerned about going to a college that was well rounded with an excellent reputation. I wanted great academics and I looked a lot into the number of people from that school being admitted to Graduate School, but my biggest concern was money. I was absolutely sure I did not want to me majorly in debt. If I could go back,I would tell myself to stop worrying about all the numbers, statistics and even the price tag. My first year of college taught me that it is up to an individual, and not the school. Going to an ivy league school will not gaurantee dreams to come true. That is directly related to who I am and my work ethic. Even when it comes to paying for my education, it is up to me to have the determination and to follow through. I would tell myself that in the end I control my future and no matter what choices I made or what happens, whether or not I can make my dremas come true is all up to me. I

Before I cameto this school, I wisg I would have known about the social scene. I love everything about the academics and the campus and what it has to offer. The only downside is that outside of school there is not a whole lot to do. It would have been helpful to know about that before I came.

I consider the worst thing about SonomaState to be the "Sonoma Aroma." At certain times of the year the campus and the surrounding town smells like cows. It really isn't that bad and I got used to it, but it really was an unpleasant surprise. It is definitely the worst thing I have experienced about Sonoma State.

The town is too small and the people are not friendly.

The town is too small and the people are not friendly.

I would tell myself to make better decisions when you apply to college. I did not go and see the campuses I applied to and now I am going to transfer because of it. I would also advise to work harder in a subject if you are close to getting a better grade and to talk to the teachers.

Their are no best things about my school. I am hoping to transfer becuase I am unhappy at Sonoma State.

Accacia

DIVERSITY! You want to feel comfortable as soon as you walk on the campus, because if you don't get that feeling of comfort; you're not going to be able to walk around there like that. Undecided or decided make sure their are enough options in case you change your mind, but do take into account to check for things that you enjoy doing or want to participate in. Ask as many questions as possible about finances, because you want make sure that you benefit out everything you can for yourself to achieve success the way you want to. And since you want to travel and attend school somewhere outside of your home state, go!; even if it's community college for the time and do the basics to prepare yourself for a university Accacia (lol). Make earlier arrangements with your chosen school; ask what you can do for the time being with still being in school, that will help you attend the school of your personal choice. But always look forward to and for the best, because your perception of success with lead to a postive result for yourself. Smile, you're graduting and still going!

Katherine

Having a conversation with myself almost two years ago as a high school senior would definately shock me and completely alter my expectations of college life. The first statement I would say is that college will be better than you think it will be. I would tell myself that even though it is scary at first to be on your own, that is what makes it all the better since during that time I have countless opportunities and loads of time to be independent and figure out who I am as an individual person. I develop a relaitonship with the rest of the world. In college there is plenty of time to study and the library is just around the corner. Finally, the most important thing I would say to myself is to not be afraid to try new things and activities - to challenge myself both mentally and socially and to above all - enjoy your adventurous experience of a lifetime.

The worst thing I consider about my school is it's size. It's fairly small - 8,000 students. Even though this makes it much easier to walk around on campus, I feel it restricts my opportunity to meet new people. Everyday as I walk to class I see some of the same people. If there were more students, I think it would be a more socially involved school.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is how some students argue that there is not enough diversity among students on campus. I know that there is diversity because the people who suggest otherwise are only counting race into diversity. Other aspects that must be recognized are gender, physicality, religious views and other characteristics.

Sonoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.