South University, Tampa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for South University, Tampa

Lafern

I am currently attending South University Physical therapy program. The advisors were initially very helpful (some still are) but others require multiple emails before they will respond to questions. The classes are very condensed and a lot of information in a short period of time; however, this allows for you the opportunity to continue to work at least part if not full time. Working full time is very challenging if you want to give adequate time to studies. You can also start the program at any time which is convenient. The price is honestly quite average for The practicum portion is entirely student-driven with minimal assistance from advisors. I have not started practicum yet, but this is the portion I am looking forward to the most. You get guidance from your professors, and good discussions from your peers in the classroom. Some of the professors are quite good while others respond to papers and discussion posts with "text message" type replies. There is not a lot of extra curricula activities at school as most people work part time. But there is a lot of camaraderie amongst the students who are always willing to help each other and have frequent study groups. You must be self-motivated and able to take responsibility for your own learning. The online instructors are more guides than teachers. The digital text and supporting media are excellent when students actually use them. As with most things in life, you are going to get out of it what you put into it.

Laticia

I have been attending the Tampa location and It has changed my life in a positive way. This is the first nursing program that I have found here in the south where most of the administration including program directors are African American. That means a great deal to me because I aspire to equal success in life. I also have been exposed to the best encouragement that I have ever witnessed during my entire scholastic journey. I am looking forward to continuing my education including the postgraduate degree at this institution. I would have never had the drive to continue forward at this institution if it was not for the exceptional staff that are always readily available to help guide you through your experience. Though the use of encouragement and a myriad of resources to aid in your success through your program, you can rest assured that your investment in your education here at South University would be worth the sacrifices and monies spent.

Yanara

I would like to start by saying that I began my education with HCC which was an okay college experience. Ultimately I chose South University because of the accreditation, better fit with my hectic life and because my coworkers suggested it as a reputable place to pursue my Bachelors in Nursing. I enrolled with the online school first thinking that was the answer but I was not happy at all with the lack of customer service trying to get in touch with people was very difficult and I believe that the online courses do not prepare you for the in depth nature of what you need to know as a nurse . I took some time off before eventually giving the Tampa campus program a shot which was the best decision for me. Customer service overall was excellent, the classes are only one day a week so it still fit my schedule and the professor interaction was what I needed to feel like I was actually learning something. I also was very impressed at how accessible the school administrators and the director of the program are. It is not to say that there won't be bumps along the road but I couldn't have made a better decision for my life and my education.

Brian

It's a quaint school. If not a little too expensive for the courses they offer. The professors are engaging, the classrooms are organized, and the course work is challenging. My only real complaint is the price. The pricing structure is easily over double than that of a public school. What do they spend that extra money on? The campus is not very friendly to anything unrelated to school. Nowhere to purchase lunch without leaving campus. Not easily accessible through driving or public transportation. It's still a nice school but they price is almost comical.

AMANDA

South is a good school. Most of the staff knows the students by name. They're very personable, encouraging and available. It's like a big family. I like that there are 11 week quarters instead of semesters. It's a lot to take in at first but once you find your niche you'll be just fine. Being in the nursing program there are a lot of unexpected changes that happen at the last minute and you really just have to go with it. They're not really sympathetic about your personal life because, hey you signed up for this accelerated bsn program so they're more like suck it up and find a way to adjust basically.

ERICA

I like South University, I have been there for almost 3 years and i would not chose another school to go to. There are smaller class sizes so the student to teacher ratio is awesome and the staff that are there to help you along the way really does do a great job with helping out the best that they can.