Southwestern College-Chula Vista Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southwestern College-Chula Vista

Jacky

My opinion on Southwestern College -Chula Vista is, I believe it's a good Community college to attend if you're either trying to graduate with a minor or transfer into a 4-year college to get a Bachelors's or Major. With 5 different locations, It has multiple major options such as Nursing, Law enforcement, Real estate, Chemistry, etc.

Valerie

I think it is a very good community college, and it is slowly expanding. It is very good with its technological advancements and it has a very nice and considerate staff. I will also say that they have a wonderful personal wellness counseling department that personally helped me so much in these past hard months. It is a good school with a more intimate setting than a huge four year, and I deeply enjoy that.

Diane

Its a great community college where its not expensive to go to. lots of different majors, and the administrative staff is very helpful with information. the instructors you had were extremely helpful and knowledge.

Aldo

It's a great and comfortable school, but don't get too comfortable. In order for you to succedd, you must work for it and don't be lazy since it's very easy to feel that way. Most resources are available to you: counseling, tutoring, bookstore, library, cafeterias, lounge rooms, and more. Staff is willing and able to help you with your questions, but you must do the first step. You need to know what you want for your future career and have a major in mind ready to start completing your general education, and always ask questions for what you want and where you want to go. The first step for success is to know what you want, and to go for counseling so they can help you find what you want and where you want to go.

Branwyn

It's okay. Most people are here to learn and get them general ed credits before transferring to a state university which is fine, it just doesn't make for the best on campus community. The teachers for the most part are really cool and many of them also have unique backgrounds and are knowledgeable about their subjects. If you don't transfer out, you'll get stuck. Find a path and stick to it

melissa

Southwestern is a great community college for those who are trying to save money. This college is in a great are and I always feel safe. It has a few shops and restaurants around in case the food on campus is getting old. However, the college does have great food and coffee options on campus. They also do great with extracurricular activities like sports and arts. There are various events going on from all different clubs. Southwestern also recently opened a gym for students and the community. The facilities in the new building is very new and is a great alternative to a community gym.

ARYANNA

For my first year at college, my overall experience has been amazing. In only the first semester I have officially discovered my major and thanks to Southwestern, they have the programs and assistance to aid me in my course of advancing towards my dream.

Chrystian

it is a good school an has a beautiful campus most professors are nice and want you to succeed. I would say that the chemistry department lacks on good professors but besides that it is an amazing community college that has more than campus to go to which makes going to college easier.

Cesar Alejandro

I like the school, it's always clean, a lot of diversity and we all respect each other. My professors are always available when I need them, I can also contact them via email, something that it is really effective. Overall, I like being a student at Southwestern College.

Benjamin

I would say my overall experience at Southwestern Community College is going pretty good! I graduated high school back in 2016. When I first started college it was really intimidating. I wasn't used to a large environment of people (as I came from a public charter school that had 600 students max), but after a month or so I got pretty used to the campus and started to making friends. My major is Fire Science Technology/EMT. I don't attended classes at the main campus as my classes are only held at the Southwestern Otay Mesa Campus. But I really like the environment over there. The campus is not big, and I get to know my surroundings pretty well. I met a close friend in my fire science class, named Christopher Smith who has helped me out a lot since we first started college together. Even though college can be expensive for my family and I at times, I am just trying to take one step at a time. My overall goal is to become a Firefighter Paramedic, OR, a Navy EOD Tech. Both jobs are physically and mentally hard, but I just want to become the man that others look up to, in terms of a role model and a silent professional, to serve my country. One day I just want to make my parents proud and support them when ever I have my full time career. They have done so much for me, and all I want to do is give back the love they gave me.

Joseph

The program I'm in sucks. What makes it a bad place are the instructors. We are located on a remote campus in Otay Mesa. The main campus seems like a nice place with many student resources. The surrounding area around the main campus is nice. the surrounding area around my campus is a ghost town.

Miguel

Southwestern College is the first community college that I attend to. Sincerily this school made me feel part of it, with invitations through Internet, through flyers between some other sources. The community inside of this school is very cool and easy to be part of, teachers are not as bosses or enemies, they are very friendly and usually give students oportunities to increase their grade with some extra work.

Karina

The people there usually stay to themselves, the food on campus is extremely crappy, but there always seems to be fairs going on, opportunities to transfer, but the transfer process is very daunting, and the financial aid members are not very helpful.

Ilse

Southwestern community college is a place we’re students share a common goal, and that is to pursue a higher education. It’s an excellent place to make new friends and expand your educational horizons. As you walk around campus, the scenery makes you feel as if you were walking around Central Park in New York City. There are trees everywhere and during the spring, as the flowers begin to bloom the campus looks its absolute greatest!

Heaven

With an active and diverse student body, faculty members who are willing to help, and new buildings underway, Southwestern College has potential. However, they need to do a better job of hiring professors. Half the time, I feel like they are there just to get a paycheck and my peers have expressed this same opinion to me. If they can fix that issue, I feel like the college will have the total package when one considers a community college.

Sonia

I love it, i was just coming here for one semester then going back to San Diego City, now I will Not leave here. This is my school. First of all the counselors in the Cal Works program truly care about us, helping us, seeing us succeed. The advise us and really listen to us. Honestly it is because of a Cal-Works counselor along with the employment specialist that I changed my mind and decided to stay at Southwestern.

fredshika

Very big campus with lots of classes to offer every semester. There are 3 campuses, so you have no excuse for not taking a class. I have had terrible professors and amazing professors, nonetheless, I love my School. I feel like I am being taught valuable life skills.

Isabel

I moved to San Diego from Mexico not knowing any English. I knew I wanted to go to college and get a degree, but wasn't sure where to start or what to do. I was recommended Southwestern College by some people, so I did. From the moment I started dealing with the college staff, their education counselors, and teachers, I had a positive experience. When I enrolled, I started the English as a Second language program, and the instructors have been so helpful. I started taking classes towards my mayor and I feel the hard work and dedications from my teachers in making sure my English improved, paid off. Their professionalism, involvement, knowledge, and motivation for us to learn, gave me the confidence to continue enrolling in classes and earn my Associate Degree then transfer to an university. Any time I hear someone talks about wanting to go to college, I highly recommend Southwestern College. It was recommended to me, and I gladly keep recommending it.

gary

I love the school. Also, I love how they have tutors who are students but are actual professionals when teaching.

Julia

Southwestern is overall a good college, I love it! I actually chose to come to this college because I felt I wasn't ready for a big university, so I came here to get a bit of that 'college life' feel. It has been a great transition for me! Now that I am graduating and transferring with my Associate's degree, I feel like I am ready for a university! The only downsides to it is the lack of parking at times.

Soraya

My opinion of the school is great opportunity for people who get right out of high school and don't want to get into debt right away and is learning how to transition from high school. The other thing is it is cheap also so it can help you with paying your bill instead of taking out loans. I think the guidance counselors are very helpful with helping you arrange with classes. I feel like it is a good way to learn how to be an adult and to learn about the outside world.

Sonia

I love Southwestern College, this is the second school I've come to and to me this is home. The Professors care about your learning. However for me it is the Cal Works program and the Higher Education HEC Learning Center. When I first came to Southwestern my Cal Works counselor sat with me and helped me find a major that suited me. That was not like any other counselor I had ever met. The Dean of the HEC site as well as the Directors of PTAC & SBDC also have shown me a lot of support.

Natalie

I honestly really like attending Southwestern, because there is help and resources from everyone, even if you are just overall lost on where your class is, there is always someone there to help you get your answers. It also shows me how nobody is holding your hand in the class and if you really need help there are resources and my professors will help as long as i reach out to them through their office hours, before/after class time, in emails, and even appointments.

Jonathan

My opinion on southwestern college is. It is one of the best community college in San Diego, it is one of the biggest ones and it also helps since it has now partnered with Point Loma nazarrette which has made it possible to receive your bachelors while you’re taking classes in a community base college.

Candace

I have had the best experience at SWC over the past year and a half and I am genuinely looking forward to my next and last semester here! All the professors I have had are dedicated to helping their students succeed and meet their goals. Their office hours are always listed and if you can't meet during those times, they are often open to meeting outside of office hours. SWC has many different learning communities, such as MECHA, UMOJA, EOPS, FYE, and more. It's a wonderful place to jumpstart your college education!

Jason

Southwestern College is simple. Currently, they are constantly building new and improved facilities. Compared to most of the school built in the 60s, they are much better looking. They started with a new football stadium, followed by a recreational center, and recently, a new math building. The campus and most buildings are old, but I never see trash on the floor, or any safety hazards. The tuition is cheap, and the classes are mostly easy. I sometimes feel that I am not preparing for a rigorous career due to the lack of vigor in my classes. I never had any major problems with professors, they all do their job just fine. The students there are fine as well, there is no bullying and crime is no where to be found. I will certainly miss it, this is my last semester before I transfer.

Monica

My overall honest opinion about Southwestern College is that it is a very convenient school to go to, it makes sense to go and get your A.A., but I strongly believe better counselors are needed, counselors that will really be informative, helpful, and want to see you succeed.