DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Brittaney

Stetson University is a place that welcomes diversity and an eagerness to learn that I feel I would not be able to find anywhere else.

I would start off by telling myself that hard work will get me everywhere I need to be in life. College has taught me that perserverence and willingness to get things accomplished is the key to success. I was very focused in high school, but I never had to be as dedicated to my work as I am now. Stetson University has allowed me to develop a sense of responsilibity and work ethic that I didn't have in high school. The best advice I could give myself is that all my good deeds and hard work are what count in college, and to continue on the path I have started trekking on.

The worst thing about my college? I believe that Stetson University doesn't give out enough money in scholarships for struggling students.

Caridad

If I had the change to go back in time and tell my high school senior self, I would say to not be scared of the future. Don't hold back to the decision that can really make or break you.In high school, education was my top priority; and it still is. When I was accepted to Stetson University, I was escatic. Here in my front of my eyes was an oppertunity I couldn't pass up. But, I was scared about what my family would say, how much the tuition was and if I could even afford it with finanical aid's funding. Now, after a year being on Stetson's beautiful campus, I can say that I made the right choice. So, if I really went back to my high school days? I would tell myself: "Take the change to make a better you. It will pay off. Don't be afraid. If I have the support of my friends and family, I can do anything. You will do everything."

Any one can come to Stetson! Like I said before, it's such a great place to really open your eyes to a new town and your mind to your surroundings and education. The year that I was accepted slogan was: "Dare to be Different". Stetson encourages us to be diverse with our cultures and what we have so far come in contact with in our young lives.

Alonnah

I think Stetson is unique because of their emphasis on discovering unique ways to teach classes. We often take field trips in the biology department to do field work and sometimes classes are held in the coffee shop or outside for a more relaxing yet intellectually stimulating environment.

After experiencing two years in college I would have given myself the advice to get started early. I was in the International Baccalaureate program at my high school, but it would have been useful to lend more of my time to internships or Dual Enrollment classes at the local state college. By the time I had graduated high school I knew how to write a good essay and analyze a piece of text like it was no big deal, however, I witnessed several Dual Enrollment students walk across the stage at graduation with an associate degree. I want to attend graduate school to become a research biologist and if I had spent my high school years to get ahead I could be a college graduate with a bachelor's degree already pursuing a higher degree. I would have given myself the advice to not wile away my high school years, but put them toward bettering myself and achieving my long term goals.

The best thing about my school is the class size. I dislike large classes and lecture halls, and Stetson has a very low student to teacher ratio which allows the professors to spend much more one on one time with students at Stetson than at a larger university.

Buhang

They are very respectful and helpful to each other.

They are very respectful and helpful to each other.

Make sure you stay in track of your academics and don't stress too much. Don't let anything distract you from school and be prepare to work hard.

The number of students in a classroom is small, which i believed is great, because it allows the professor to focus on the students and get that one on one interaction.

Students at Stetson are sterotyped as being wealthy, extremely studious students who want to excel academically. In my eyes, this sterotype does hold true in terms of the extremely studious student. Students here love to learn and acquire new information on a day to day basis.

Billie

The best thing about the school is how personal the relationships are with professors. I wish the school was a little bigger though because it can be hard to find something to do and the environment can be a little too much like high school for my tastes. Most of the time people don't know where Stetson is or are shocked by the size. I spend most of my time in my sorority house. Deland is DEFINITELY a college town and is in the middle of nowhere. My opinion used to be higher but after a recent incident in which the administration did nothing to act in favor of the students my opinion became more negative. The biggest recent controversey was probably when the greek adviser sent an inappropriate tweet that some female students were offended by and he had to apologize. Most students complain about the meal plan and how the university administration has not interest in the students.

Most students are middle class and almost everyone receives some type of financial aid. My experience with race and religious groups was positive until recently when a professor spewed off an anti-Semitic tirade and the school did nothing about it. Greeks tend to interact with greeks and consider themselves above anyone else. In the dining hall there would be four tables, one would be greeks, one would be weirdos/music students, another would be hispanic or black students and the other table would be athletes. Most of the students are from the eastern part of the country. Students tend to dress casually unless they are dressed up because they belong to a greek organization.

The professors are the great thing about stetson. The professors all know your name and are willing and able to help you with anything you'd need. The class sizes are small so professors know your name and take a genuine interest in your education. Students are competitive and depending on the class students may or may not participate. Im in the political science department and I would recommend it to anyone. Professors host events outside of class and are available if you need them most of the time. the academic requirements are understandable but the registrar's office makes it waaay difficult to transfer credits which turns alot of people off.

Some common stereotypes at my school are being Greek, as in in a sorority or fraternity or being a GDI. Non-affiliated. Another stereotype is being a weirdo if you're a music student.

Jamie

The best thing about this school is the atmosphere. It is very welcoming and friendly, and you get to know everyone. It is a very small school, but I like the size. The town surronding the school is very small and can sometimes be hard to find things to do, but there is always something on campus to keep you occupied. The administration is great. There is a lot of school pride, and I think that there will be much more once we get our football team. The most frequent student complaints are not enough parking spaces and that sometimes the food isn't the best. I will always remember my experience rushing my sorority and all of the friends that you make at the beginning of school!

The most popular student groups are Greek life and sports. I am in a sorority and I love it. Students in dorms do leave their doors open frequently. Athletic events are popular for students to go to and support the school. Guest speakers tend to draw a good amount of attention. Theater isn't the biggest event. I have met my closest friends through rushing and joining my sorority, along with meeting and living with my hallmates. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm sitting in the library or LBC doing homework or talking to my roommate. People tend to party on the weekends. The town is small so sometimes it is hard to find things to do on the weekends, but there is also the big cities of Daytona and Orlando close by to visit.

Stetson is a very diverse community. It is very welcoming and all groups are accepted. I don't think that any specific group would feel out of place. Students outfits range from just getting out of bed to looking like they are going to homecoming, it just depends on the person. Students all interact well and are friendly. There are students from every state and you also meet students from other countries. There is no specific financial, ethnic, religious, or political group that is most or least prevalent, the school in total is well represented of all.

The academics at my school are very nice. All of my professors know me by name. The academics are very rigorious and students study a lot. Class participation is very common, most classes are structured to be more involved than just the professor lecturing. Class participation is very important. Students can be competitive, but it is not a major deal. In the business department, it is clear that every professor cares about their students and wants to help them learn and succeed in the business world. Professors don't just care about their students grades, they like to actually get to know you and who you actually are. Some professors will invite classes to get together outside of class for a more informal atmosphere. The education is geared toward learning but also on a course to help you get a job in life.

I think that a common stereotype at my school is Greeks. There are a lot of students very involved in Greek life and can be seen a lot around campus. Unlike the common Greek stereotype, Stetson Greeks uphold a good reputation.

J

The best thing about Stetson to me is the sense of community. Since we are a considerably small campus, mostly all students are active in organizations, clubs, greek life or what have have you. Everyone on campus feels a sense of belonging that, I believe, you wouldn't get a a large school. Overall, I love this Stetson!

Whether it be the environment, social issues, or just their major, students at Stetson care. Life for a Stetson student is different than that of any other college student in the country. The experience/ memories and friendships you will have at Stetson will last a life time. I never regretted coming here.

The most popular group at Stetson is greek life. Students are encouraged to find a fraternity or sorority that best fits them and their goals for their future and create life long bonds with their fraternal brothers. The greeks at Stetson are also committed to many philanthropic events, so if you are interested in community service, I would highly suggest rushing a fraternity,

The academics at Stetson are unmatched in the region. At no other University in Central Florida can a student be challenged and feel as accomplished as we do here. Another one of my favorite things about Stetson is the class size. whereas at other Universities you are just a number, at Stetson most classes are caped at 20 students which makes for a hands on learning experience where your professor will know your name. What other well know University can say that?

It's sad to say that the stereotype of students of Stetson is the same as other private schools. Most people think we all are rude stuck up rich kids; I am happy to say that nothing could be further from the truth. The people here are so friendly, kind and will go out of their way to assist you whenever you need help! I love it here.

Joe

Professors not only know your name but will ask why you weren't in class. True story my Teacher told a student "Oh you decided to join us today" after he had missed two classes that week Name and told him the notes are posted on blackboard. We have a test Monday better get studying and if you need any help send me an email. As i saw him do for any student i thought may be falling behind. MIS was my favorite class the professor was straight forward made the class fun and tied in his personal stories to his teachings. My least favorite class was basic marketing i thought the teacher talked to much about sports and not enough about marketing. Students study 10/ a week maybe more. Class participation is a must very rare you don't at least once in class whether in a group or class project. The students at stetson i have found are very intellectual in the way they talk and carry themselves. A conversation could last for hours. I am a business administration major. Yes i actually worked out with one of my professors being in the gym at the same time. I find the school geared more toward getting a job as i have experience in the real world business aspect being a leasing professional for an apartment complex top seller. I noticed allot of the business aspect talked about in class are exactly the same as when i worked for Concord management A very highly regarded Company.

I am Hispanic and till this day I have not found there to be any stereotyping in stetson.

Corrine

There are several activities and groups on campus. The most popular one, in my opinion anyway, is the Greek life. I came to Stetson not caring to be involved in it but I decided might as well rush. I did and it was the best experience. There are other groups such as soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc. When I lived in the dorms everyone left there doors wide open and would intermingle. It was a lot of fun. People party every weekend. Usually Thursdays and Saturdays are the big party nights. There are also many opportunities to do events with the sororites and fraternities to help with their philanthropies like 2am baking and selling pizza or several other things.

There are a variety of students at Stetson University. From what I have seen there is no discrimination about race or how one dresses. Like I said, we have a small school. Its hard to really judge anyone because everyone is friends or at least knows of eachother. Its not smart to make enemies of someone that you may see every single day. Your going to run into everyone a least a few times while roaming campus. Like every place you have your very opinionated people and those who are indifferent. Most students I know are from around here or up north.

I am a history major and at first was considering a Russian Studies minor. I decided on a whim to take a Business Law course. Little did I realize it is a junior level course and I am a freshman. This is my favorite class. I want to minor in Buisness Law. The professor is incredible and makes difficult concepts easy to understand. There is a lot of class participation in most of my classes and so far in my year at Stetson, I haven't had one bad teacher. I have been to two professor's houses so far and I am looking forward to more opportunities. We had a Russian dinner party and a Chili/History party. I cooked side by side with other classmates and my Professors and their families. It was a great experience!

At Stetson University there are not a huge amount of stereotypes. What ones we do have is a split between the Greeks and the GDI's. The GDI's is basically what you would call those students who are not Greek. If your not familiar with what Greek is, it is the sorotities and fraternities around campus.

Stetson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.