DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Beware of people who would use you. College is a bigger world than high school, even if Stetson is a smaller campus. You can trust no one with yourself, there are people who would use you for their own gain. Your friends are not always your friends. Don't surrender your social life though, just be cautious. And don't give up your social life entirely for school work. Learning is the main purpose for going to college yes, but your mental stability is also important. Hang out with your friends more, get to know the people you live with more, be in the common area more. You can't go through life being a recluse. And hang out for that Mr. Charming, you shouldn't listen to what everyone says about them either. Because your perfect one is waiting for you, and you will find him! Balance caution, learn time management, and push the issue of bringing your dog with you more. Learn not to be so dependent, and don't panic so much about tests! Go to the sessions Stetson has for time management and study skills, use the resources! And go to the Counseling Center when needed!

Stetson's amazing professors, classroom sizes and programs! I have lots of friends that are completely satisfied with the quality of their education, and I am constantly telling people of the numerous programs Stetson has for all fields of study. Honor students can even create their own major! The professors I've had have been fantastic as well, the social science professors are terrific! They are involved and understanding. When I was going through a recent difficult diagnosis, my professors were patient and caring and completely understanding of my needing more time. The people in Residential Life are also amazing!

The financial aid office was very frustrating. They have a few excellent people there, but lately my family has fallen into deeper financial difficulties and I don't get the feeling that the staff in that office care. I kind of got the feeling of 'sucks to be you' from the people I spoke with, but I know that not all of them are like that. Some do care, I just wished they got the front offices instead. I know lots of people have had problems with them as well, so just keep track of things yourself. Don't surrender!

Marie

Don't get distracted or discouraged just because you're on your own. Significant others usually come and go, friends stand by you no matter what. It's a great school, but not for everyone.

Dear Marie, I know that you’re worried about college coming up, but don’t forget to have fun with your friends while you have a chance. Work is not everything in life right now- you can worry about loans on breaks. You have no problem making friends and it will show when you move in. When things happen that you don’t agree with or that you don’t like, stand your ground. College is the time to grow as a person, so don’t live with regrets about what you should or shouldn’t do. People see that you’re smart and empathetic. Find that balance between friends and school, and don’t take your success in high school for granted. There are so many things that you can do now that you’re “free” from the restraints. Be careful with yourself and others. Be yourself and take a couple risks, but don’t go overboard. Deep down, you know what to do. Take deep breaths and keep smiling, Yourself P.S. Your passion is being present to people. That will help your struggle during freshman and sophomore year.

david

If I had an oportunity to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school student, I would make the following sugestions: I would appreciate the teachers, I would pay strict attention to what they were telling me, I would have taken as much college credtis as I can, I would prepare myself for success at an early stage, I would encourge all my friends to do what I was doing, I would certainly get involved in every student activities that were available, I would demostrate all chrcteristics of an honor roll student, and ofcourse , I would also getin volved in some sort of community service, in order to display good charcter on campus and of campus. There are many other , things that I can say to myself, if I can turn back to the hand of time. Those beautiful advices that I have just now mentioned, have enlightened me. Therefore I am going to act as if I am still in high school. Now I am going to do everything in my power to be wne of the best student that ever walked across the college campus. Thank you for listening to me.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself is to stay at the school and do homework. I had a high school teacher tell me this and I didn't really listen to her because I thought I could just sit down at home and do it like I always have. My first semester in college I didn't get very good grades because I would come home and get distracted. I ended up having to withdraw from the semester due to medical reasons, so my grades didn't count for the semester. When I re-started my first semester in the Spring, I listened to the advice the teacher at the high school gave me to stay at school and study. When I did, I got so much done and learned so much more than I did in the previous semester. I know when the Fall semester comes around I am going to continue to stay at school and do my work because I get it done that way.

rebecca

When looking back at my senior year in high school all I could think about was graduating. Now that I am going into my final full year of college there is so much more I should have been concentrating on besides graduation. Due to the lack of financial assistance I may not be able to attend school in the coming semester; due to this fact I should have been more focused on paying for college instead of hurrying to graduation. If I could go back and give myself advice it would be to get focused, apply for scholarships, and find other ways to save up for college.

If you have any financial struggles, are not rich, and not very involved.

People that can either get a full ride scholarship or has a lot of money to spend on tuition and fees. Also they are very interested in involvment in their school and using more than just the classroom to learn.

Raveena

As we grow older I, as well others, want to say our lives were lived without any regrets. We don’t think about the present and how it will look when it is our past. Every person is different on how they apply these words of wisdom. There is never a concrete “right” answer in life, well except in math.. Some decide that they will dedicate their lives to sports, some education; some spend their whole lives discovering themselves. When we are the critical age of deciding our future, we are compared to the wonders of the world. The CEOs, the doctors, the one who makes a million dollars, the one who got into that Ivey League College. You never have to live up your life to someone else’s success but your own. A mistake should not be seen as a failure. It has been drilled into us “don’t make that mistake again”. A mistake can’t be a mistake if it ends up leading you to the path you desire. . If the career choice you choose fulfills your heart’s desire then your choice can never be wrong.

The worst thing about this school has nothing to do with the education but with the housing. Although there are new updated housing buildings since the school is old most buildings have historic infrastructure which is great but the rooms are abnormally small as compared to other colleges dorms.

A person who wants to have an avid night lifestyle and wants to go to college to party should not attend this school. The students that come here really do take their education seriously and that trumps having a crazy party life.

Annamaria

I was in high school thirty years ago. I would caution myself to be more invested in myself. I would explain that the more I learned only could benefit me in the end. I always had that deep drive to acheive what people said I couldn't but maybe I could use that drive in my studies. I would tell myself to learn about Scholarships and Grants. I never had the financial support of my parents and couldn't figure out how to pay for college. That's why I put it off. If I knew about avenues for helping pay for college, I might have gone back sooner. I would explain that life and love could wait but that education will last you forever. I would help myself to see that I was worth the better things in life that can be achieved with an education. I spent to much time trying to be an adult and not enough time just enjoying being in the moment. These are some of the things I tried to impart to my sons.

Stetson is a great school with a beautiful campus, caring professors, and lots of fun extracurricular activities.

Stetson has the best Teaching Education program around, it's one of the biggest reasons I chose Stetson.

Dear High School self, You are extremely lucky because you already know what you want to do and you are going to be great at it. By starting at community college, you are saving yourself (and your parents) a TON of money- smart choice. When you get to Stetson, you need to get involved. It's going to be a pain because you live at home and you're shy, but it will be worth it. Join clubs and actually attend meetings, sit in the cafeteria even if you're alone- maybe someone will join you. Enjoy your time with classmates who, like you, want to be teachers and can understand the work load you are going through. Step out of your comfort zone girl! Sincerely, College self

Zuri

One unique thing about Stetson Universtiy is that we ARE one of the friendliest schools in the south. This is a proven fact that can be backed up with proof. Also some of the famous movie Waterboy was filmed here at Stetson University and in Deland at Deland High School.

Zuri Sellers I am your future self. Being a senior right now will be one of the greatest times of you life. But now it is also crunch time. College is right around the corner and I know you haven't been accepted to any schools. Volleyball isn't coming to you right now on a silver platter so you need to apply to more colleges ASAP! You also need to push yourself harder in class also because Senioritis is going to bite you in the butt VERY VERY hard. Applying for scholarships needs to be all you think about. You need to eat sleep and breathe it beacuse mom and dad can't do it on their own. Do your best and you are going to love the school you get into. Trust me I'm you.

One of the worst things about attending Stetson is the surroundings. Deland is a small city and some of the residents that live around the school don't accept that I am African American and yell obscene words toward me if saying I'm walking downtown of Deland.

rebecca

If I went back in time I would tell myself to enjoy every moment I had and to apply for more scholarships to prepare for the future. When I was a high school senior all I could think about was getting out of high school and moving on to the next part of my life. I knew that it would be more difficult, but I didn't know that it would be this hard. I would tell myself to plan for the future by applying for any scholarship I was eligible for and try to prepare for the hard road ahead. Knowing what I do now and the financial situation I am in, I would have saved up as much as I could and spent more time focused on my future education; instead of just getting out of high school.

At Stetson University the worst thing about the school is there is nearly one type of student and there isn't much for activities outside of campus. The type of students that are on the campus are mostly rich and some what stuck up. The way they talk about the things they have is shocking sometimes. There also isn't much to do off-campus, there is no clubs, no movie theaters, not really much at all; unless you like bowling.

The type of person that should attend this school is rich and smart. Many of the students in the school have the latest and greatest of everything, ipads, iphones, pretty much anything that is Apple related. They also take about money and items like it doesn't mean anything to them. I am not rich, nor talk about money like it's not a big deal. I have found a few people like me on campus, but there are very few.

Stetson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.