DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Annamaria

I was in high school thirty years ago. I would caution myself to be more invested in myself. I would explain that the more I learned only could benefit me in the end. I always had that deep drive to acheive what people said I couldn't but maybe I could use that drive in my studies. I would tell myself to learn about Scholarships and Grants. I never had the financial support of my parents and couldn't figure out how to pay for college. That's why I put it off. If I knew about avenues for helping pay for college, I might have gone back sooner. I would explain that life and love could wait but that education will last you forever. I would help myself to see that I was worth the better things in life that can be achieved with an education. I spent to much time trying to be an adult and not enough time just enjoying being in the moment. These are some of the things I tried to impart to my sons.

Stetson is a great school with a beautiful campus, caring professors, and lots of fun extracurricular activities.

Stetson has the best Teaching Education program around, it's one of the biggest reasons I chose Stetson.

Dear High School self, You are extremely lucky because you already know what you want to do and you are going to be great at it. By starting at community college, you are saving yourself (and your parents) a TON of money- smart choice. When you get to Stetson, you need to get involved. It's going to be a pain because you live at home and you're shy, but it will be worth it. Join clubs and actually attend meetings, sit in the cafeteria even if you're alone- maybe someone will join you. Enjoy your time with classmates who, like you, want to be teachers and can understand the work load you are going through. Step out of your comfort zone girl! Sincerely, College self

Zuri

One unique thing about Stetson Universtiy is that we ARE one of the friendliest schools in the south. This is a proven fact that can be backed up with proof. Also some of the famous movie Waterboy was filmed here at Stetson University and in Deland at Deland High School.

Zuri Sellers I am your future self. Being a senior right now will be one of the greatest times of you life. But now it is also crunch time. College is right around the corner and I know you haven't been accepted to any schools. Volleyball isn't coming to you right now on a silver platter so you need to apply to more colleges ASAP! You also need to push yourself harder in class also because Senioritis is going to bite you in the butt VERY VERY hard. Applying for scholarships needs to be all you think about. You need to eat sleep and breathe it beacuse mom and dad can't do it on their own. Do your best and you are going to love the school you get into. Trust me I'm you.

One of the worst things about attending Stetson is the surroundings. Deland is a small city and some of the residents that live around the school don't accept that I am African American and yell obscene words toward me if saying I'm walking downtown of Deland.

rebecca

If I went back in time I would tell myself to enjoy every moment I had and to apply for more scholarships to prepare for the future. When I was a high school senior all I could think about was getting out of high school and moving on to the next part of my life. I knew that it would be more difficult, but I didn't know that it would be this hard. I would tell myself to plan for the future by applying for any scholarship I was eligible for and try to prepare for the hard road ahead. Knowing what I do now and the financial situation I am in, I would have saved up as much as I could and spent more time focused on my future education; instead of just getting out of high school.

At Stetson University the worst thing about the school is there is nearly one type of student and there isn't much for activities outside of campus. The type of students that are on the campus are mostly rich and some what stuck up. The way they talk about the things they have is shocking sometimes. There also isn't much to do off-campus, there is no clubs, no movie theaters, not really much at all; unless you like bowling.

The type of person that should attend this school is rich and smart. Many of the students in the school have the latest and greatest of everything, ipads, iphones, pretty much anything that is Apple related. They also take about money and items like it doesn't mean anything to them. I am not rich, nor talk about money like it's not a big deal. I have found a few people like me on campus, but there are very few.

Sabrina

My school is strong and challenging when is comes to education, diverse and unique when it comes to culture, open and understanding about what your values and beliefs are, comfortable when it comes to housing and residential life, open and beautiful when it comes to the campus, and overall a place I am happy and lucky to be at.

If I could go back in time and talk to my, high school self, I would. First, I would remind myself that I will not be staying in my own state for college, so spend less time joining every organization at school and remember to spend time with friends- who I will not see anymore. I would then get down to business. I would tell myself to begin studying French before jumping into it in college (because its much harder than expected). I should know that they are not kidding when they say that you should only join three clubs/organizations, because if I do more I will be overloaded and run down. I would also tell myself to make sure I bring motivation to eat healthy and continue to work out- because since I will have no sports here- like I did in high school- my motivation will decrease, and my schedule will be very busy- so I need to MAKE time to be healthy. If I could go back and have a conversation with my high school self, I think I would have been a little more prepared for the things that sneak up on you in college.

When it comes to the ‘downside’ of my school, I would have to say that the food could be better. Yes, you could roll your eyes and say “I am just another picky eater” but I honestly wish we had heather choices. My school gives out great messages and hold interesting lectures about being healthy. However, when the calorie count is through the roof and all the tasty foods are deep friend and cooked in grease, you only have so many choices.

Stetson has great professors who care about you, a great campus with lots of places to hang out or study and it's located fairly close to both the beach and Disney!

My classmates care about doing well in every class and each person takes responsibility when working with a group.

Dear High school self, you weren't involved in high school, but it would be in your benefit to change that in college. There are so many great people you could make friends with, just try to step out of your comfort zone a little (or a lot). Also, start saving your money. You will end up going to an amazing college, but you will need to take out loans and saving your money would help you pay for books. It may seem scary going from a small community college to a larger school (even though it's a pretty small school) but don't be afraid- you will experience a warm welcome from everyone. Did I mention you should get involved? Sincerely, College self.

Migdaly

Most of my classmates are very social and engaged into group converstaions but there are a few who aren't open into socialing due to either shyness or self-esteem issues.

An advice I would give to my high school senior self is staying positive. I would tell my high school self to not be afraid in asking for help, to not be pesstimistic and to not think lowly of one's self. I've honestly made some mistakes here in school due to self-esteem problems and have fallen behind with school work. But I have managed to find help last year thanks to a music professor at the university. The music professor had led me to a career counselor who helped me choose my major and advised me to see a guidance counselor. From then on, I have seeked help from academic counselors, tutors and professors. With so many staff and faculty members helping me succeed in school, I am able to manage my studies and do well in school. My high school self never seeked much help in high school and did not study much. But, with a few words of encouragement and telling my high school self to stay positive I would've done a bit better with studying for SAT, ACT, AP test and probably would've been accepted into my dream school.

What I consider the best thing about Stetson University is the faculty and staff members engagement with students--in wanting their students to succeed in both their career and lifestyle by providing any help they can offer such as academic success center, counseling center, tutoring and office hours.

Reba

Don't go home as much freshman year. Don't get into a relationship freshman year. Just because it's a "beach day" doesn't give you a reason to skip class. Just have fun in college, it'll all be worth it in the end and you will make some awesome friends along the way :)

That tuition was going to continue to raise through the time I graduate and through the roof!

Cassidy

Cassidy, right now you stare in the mirror for hours picking out flaws. You waste money on fancy clothes to try to stand out, but end up just as invisible as before. Listen to me. Self-hatred is a waste. The only one who thinks badly about you is yourself. Other people are concerned with their own problems and insecurities; So, even if you feel like every failure is hung up on a wall like art and everyone is critiquing it, in actuallity they aren't. They feel the same way. So live a little more for yourself and care a little less what other people think (stop trying to please people: you won't be in contact in the future with the people who don't accept you now. They won't matter anymore.). You've wasted too much of your life already wishing you were someone else. Soon you'll realize what a gift it is to be you, and you'll wish you had appreciated yourself more. Love, Cassidy

Someone who isn't willing to spend most of their free time working on school. Someone with little money who doesn't have the GPA to get scholarships.

Chyina

In general, I love going to Stetson. You get to know all different types of people and because of the small campus you will not feel out of place or anything because everyone is willing to make friends. Another good thing about the size is that you get to know your professors and they help you out whenever you ask, and even when you don't. If there was one thing I could change it would be the price but with all of the beniefits, I can see why it is so much. Even though at first glance the tuition seems like a lot of money, over 90% of students recieve scholarships. Stetson is a great place to be and even though it is in a small town there are a lot of things to do in Deland, and a lot of good, inexpensive restaurants, as well.

The academics are great, of course you get to pick your own classes, but Stetson allows you to know your proffesors and a lost of them are pretty awesome. Last semester I had four classes and while there was frequent work, the proffesors were understanding and lenient. At Stetson class participation is a must, you do not have to raise your hand for every question or know every answer, you just won't be allowed to sit in a corner and sleep. But in reality that's a good thing because then you'll be prepared for your exam, if your teacher chooses to have an exam in that class or not. Some don't and it's pretty cool! I myself am a double major and I have to say I love being an English major. There are get togethers' and competitions and raffles held all the time, at least once a month and everyone in the English department is polite. Just like other teachers they are willing to help. I feel that while there are a lot of requirements for Stetson, they are achievable and they will help you get a job in the future.

The most pronounced stereotype for my school is that everyone is wealthy and spoiled. This is most likely because it is a private college, but most students recieve scholarships. Another is that there are some who would be called geeks or nerds. I know it was that way in high school, but those same people you would not be caught hanging out with back then will become your friends in college.