SUNY at Binghamton Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY at Binghamton

Anta

Binghamton is know as the "Harvard of the SUNY system" and I believe its academic reputation holds weight. Many compare its academic curriculum to that of Cornell. Although the work is challenging there are plenty of opportunities to have fun near the Binghamton area. There are many parties hosted by Greek life as well as malls and restaurants.

Tyler

The moment I stepped on Binghamton's campus, I felt at home. I had visited colleges before this, but the immediate relaxed feeling was truly surreal. The transition was tough, but that's expected of any college experience. I have made many friends on my floor, and am moving into a suite with said friends in this coming semester. I look forward to my time there, instead of worrying. The professors are very helpful and I made it on the Dean's List during my previous semester. I have joined multiple clubs and I participate in many aspects of student life. I was elected to the position of areawide treasurer in my community's E board for this coming semester and I'm so excited to learn more. Being a Bearcat has been such a wonderful experience and I can't wait to see what more Binghamton has to offer.

EMILY

Overall it's a great school. The academic programs are very strong, and the people are very intelligent. The surrounding area is pretty good also, and Vestal Parkway has basically any store/ restaurant you could want (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Movie Theater, Payless, Applebee's, IHOP, Chipotle, Insomnia, etc.)

Shannon

I love Binghamton. It was my first choice and I am so happy that I came here instead of anywhere else. The people are great and the campus always has something going on. The professors are kind and always available to help. The advisors are knowledgable and everyone here is smart.

Irene

I think Bing is a great school regardless of recent events. There is a great sense of pride. I fell in love with the people here. Everyone is very open-minded and I've never felt out of place here. Considering this was my last choice school when applying to colleges, it was surprising how much I loved it here the day I visited during admitted students day. You won't regret coming to Bing. The people here are smart and funny. You will find your circle here.

Chaalam

Great school with great people. Class difficulty ranges from extremely difficult to extremely simple, depending on what interests you, of course. All in all, if you want a university that can promise that you will learn something substantial while having a great time(parties almost every weekend), this is the school for you.

Jada

As any other school is, SUNY Binghamton has its own ins and outs. The academics here are very rigorous but in general it's a great school. Sometimes the social scene is bleak but as of lately there has been an influx of high energy and exciting moments on and off campus. One downside is the campus food--the dining hall choices are very monotonous at times and I often don't want to eat it. Although the weather is very unpredictable, when the weather is finally nice it's amazing--the sunrises and sunsets are breathtaking when it isn't cloudy. Ultimately, I have high hopes for my next few years at the university.

Aviva

Binghamton is a wonderful school for academically driven individuals . There are so many academic and interest clubs to join for the active, religious and the opinionated. For the nature lovers we have A beautiful nature preserve with hiking trails. Professors are kind and always wiling to work with students after class. I'm so proud to be a student there!

Jack

In my personal experience, Binghamton University is a school that prides itself on a diversified student body and teaching staff. There are a variety of class styles that fit to the needs of students who prefer both large and small learning environments. All the facilities on campus are well-maintained and the atmosphere is very receptive to newcomers. The campus is aesthetically captivating, but is located on a rather large hillside which means a lot of walking up and down steep stairs/hills, which can become difficult during the winter here. If you are interested in the college sports scene, Binghamton has a variety of division 1 teams (no football unfortunately) with rather large fan bases that provide students with many opportunities to show their support and enjoy themselves at events, as well as a the option to participate in a large variety of extracurricular activities such as clubs and club/intramural sports. Also, I believe that the dining hall food across campus is well above the standard for most colleges across the country. However, a friendly disclaimer is that I have personally encountered some teachers, usually in politics-related classes, that had a hard time separating their personal beliefs from their curriculum in the classroom. I find that it is important and necessary for students here to be especially open-minded, particularly in politics-based classes on campus, so as not to handicap themselves intellectually by rooting their stance on one end of the political spectrum. There are some students/faculty who are lacking in political empathy for those who oppose their viewpoints, which I find to hinder debates and discussions in some classes. I'm sure they exist at every school, but my advice would be to identify these people so as to ensure that you receive an education that is representative of more holistic viewpoints in order to better serve you to when your college experience ends. Overall, my college experience at Binghamton has been a rewarding one so far and I believe that if you are outgoing, you will be pleased with what awaits you both academically and socially, rarely finding yourself bored or looking for things to do.

Elias

Binghamton University is a great school. There's a lot of options of things to do on campus and they offer a lot of things. Fraternities are in the school but they aren't a big part of the schools social life. It's a place where if you want to blend in with the 17,000 undergrads and grad students you can but you can also stand out and be your own person as well here on campus.

Athena

I was there for only 2 years as a transfer student. It was difficult in the beginning because the students my age already had their own set of friends. If I was to re do the whole college experience I would have started in my Freshman year and probably studied a major that was more job worthy. There were a lot of parties and events. I partied moderately but I was never into the drug scene. Binghamton is a good school, and there are people from all backgrounds. Outside the university is a dead zone in my opinion, but if you want to have an off campus apartment with your friends it is more affordable just be careful who you rent from. I enjoyed my experience at Binghamton, however I wish there were things I could have changed.

Melissa

Overall, the college provides a great education for the price of a CUNY school. It is literally a "cheaper ivy." As long as students are focused on their courses and activities related to their major, a student can make the best of the university experience. There are plenty of ways to get involved on campus. There are outside nature activities like skiing, courses that will keep you thinking such as analyzing the tv show Stranger Things, and ways to get involved in research such as the freshmen research program.

D

Class availability and Student Services/Registration/Advising in the School of Management are all very poor.

Adrianna

SUNY Binghamton is not called the public ivy league for nothing. The classes offered are incredibly interesting and very engaging. Every semester there is a variety of classes offered, from the ones that's students need for their major(s) to the ones they need to fulfill their general education requirements to the ones they want to take for fun or because it interests them. There is ample opportunity to get involved on campus: research with faculty, recreational and intramural sports, over 100 chartered student organizations, work, etc. You name it, Binghamton has it. What's really great about this campus is that it is organized in a way where the students live outside of the main drive (which loops) in dorms, and all the academic and administrative buildings are inside the loop. A nature preserve spans part of the campus where students can go take a walk on the hiking trails on weekdays and weekends if they need a place for some peace and quiet, or just to refresh their minds--it is a HUGE perk in my eyes. Students have access to the east gym where they can play rec sports or sign up with a membership to take classes, there is a facility/club for outdoor enthusiasts that offers hiking trips and sea kayaking (my favorite). The only growing problem is parking--there seem to be more students on campus than parking spots available and there is a system that restricts commuters from parking in residential lots and vice-versa. To combat this issue, there is a student-run bus system that the school offers, as well as a deal with the city buses that SUNY Binghamton students, employees, and faculty may use those buses for free using their ID cards. Overall this school is a great option for anyone and it has a pretty well-known name on the east coast. It is also a pretty affordable option for those who are concerned about finances and still want to go to a good school.

Stefania

I love the school and could not see myself going anywhere else. Some dining halls are better than others. When it comes to getting involved, there is so much to choose from. For those not involved in sports or extra-curriculars, there is always something going on on campus. Class sizes (depending on the class) are reasonable.

Lil

A once decent college is now a mediocre generic state institution with an unacceptable shortage of resources and an absurd faculty student ratio. The slogan 20,000 by 2020 should be changed to Lousy, over crowded and underfunded by now. I don't even dare imagine what it will be like when they stuff even more students on campus without adequate resources. It is cheap but there is a very good reason for that. If you decide to go, find housing yourself. The on campus housing and the off campus student oriented apartments close by are ridiculously expensive. The crime rate in Binghamton is very high with a strong gang presence so be careful if you have to go into Binghamton. 3 students were assaulted by 3 strangers in February. Another student was struck in the head and robbed a few days later. The paper said "This incident is believed to be connected to other reported assaults and robberies that have occurred over the past several days.". But many of the assaults are not reported. Binghamton has a crime rate that is very high and much higher than towns that many come from. People are not used to being in a dangerous city and they don't take precautions. There is a huge gang presence in Binghamton and it is violent. The stats on their web site apparently don't reflect the assaults that happen downtown even when students are downtown for classes. There are too many assaults which suggests students are not heeding the warnings and don't realize how dangerous the city is.

Lindsay

This school is great. I really like the opportunities I have had here, and I know that in my next 2 years here I am going to continue to grow and learn from the amazing professors. They are always willing to hear what their students have to say and have inspired us to think outside of our comfort zones to tackle anything we are learning.

Olivia

Binghamton University is overall a beautiful campus. However, their oldest dorms (which they are soon going to tear down) don't have the best living conditions, and it is obvious that over the years they've been neglected since the school is going to replace them with new ones in the future. Cost effective for the school, but bad for the students actually living in said dorms when the water temperature surges to burning hot in the middle of a shower. The workload is large, especially for those majoring in the sciences. Campus life is very liberal, although there is a minor conservative population, particularly amongst the business majors. The school does give notice to the arts as well, with an on campus art gallery and so forth. If you plan to be studying a science related major, Binghamton is a school with endless resources.

Serena

Binghamton is a huge school that allows everyone to find something. If you are interested in sports, they exist. But if you can't tell the difference between a basketball and a baseball, you won't feel left out at all. It's the same idea for Greek Life. If you want to join, about 10-15% do! But parties still happen without going greek. The academics are awesome, and most professors really want you to do well.

I am very pleased with Binghamton University and the variety of academics and opportunities that are offered by the university, both on campus and off. Residential life is nice and I always feel safe and secure on campus. There's plenty of services offered for students who do not have modes or means of transportation. Advisors and professors are always available for help and any questions that may arise, whether small or large.

Imguel

SUNY Binghamton University is a wonderful school to explore your beyond your boundaries. Campus life is very open and welcoming. Surrounded by mountains of trees and deers, the campus keeps its idea of nature alive and encourages those within it to embrace it. Academics is on point, allowing many options for students and much resources to be used. Art is pretty-well established. Campus food could be better. Freshmen usually enjoy the food since they're new to it, but after about a month or so, you get this repetitive feeling - eating the same type of food everyday gets exhausting. There are, however, many good restaurants and food spots around the city which are worth exploring. Sports is a thing, but no football team which kind of sucks. Greek life is everywhere, but you'll never feel "un-welcomed" if you don't partake in it. Overall, it's a solid school with affordable tuition (compared to other SUNY schools at least) and it's definitely a top contender.

hannah

Binghamton is a mix of students who work very hard and party just as much. Professors care more about research than their students but the education is still above par. There is much to do on campus but off of campus there is not many shops or places students can walk to easily.

Anastasiya

Overall Binghamton is a place for learning. I transferred here my sophomore year and can genuinely say that the students here are academically driven and are push themselves to reach their final career destinations. I am a Pre-health student and have struggled greatly to get into the routine of how science courses are run. Exams aren't taken during the lecture period as there is a completely separate time (usually Thursday evenings) for exams and quizzes. This was very odd as I have never heard of a college doing such a thing. There are so many clubs to join and I'm sure everyone fits in somewhere. If you're on the Pre-Med track I suggest that you be prepared to work very, very hard to earn your grades.

Overall I had a very good experience at Binghamton University. I found a great group of people that made me feel comfortable by taking multiple leadership positions on campus organizations. There are hundreds of organizations on campus, and that was my favorite part of the university. I was able to connect to others and make an impact of my campus community, which was very important to me. The campus is big with a large student population, and you almost never ran into the same person twice. The downsides of the school were its location (the town of Binghamton is pretty deserted and leaves little to do on the weekends) and the campus food (overpriced and not very good). Professors are hit or miss, but I found a few that I connected with. The school is honestly what you make of it. If you attend with an open mind, you can have a fantastic time at Binghamton University.

SUNY Binghamton is a science school that is known for its bright students. It is mostly a science school, so if you are someone who is serious about bio or engineering, it is a really great school filled with abundant opportunities. Its School of Management program is also award winning for business majors. Each course is worth 4 credits instead of the usual 3 credits as the average class expects more hours outside of class time. Professors often have the reputation of being aloof, many say that students must really rely on textbooks to teach themselves the courses. There are exceptions, of course. But there is often a lot of workload, hence the 4 credit hours per class.

Liam

overcrowded, stuffing more and more students without adding resources, You'd be lucky to have 2 small classes in your 4 years, no parking, nasty state police out to ticket, nasty administration.

Lea

There is a reason it is named the "Public Ivy". Binghamton is a challenge but it is affordable. I love the professors and the atmosphere. It doesn't take long to make this campus feel like a home.

Michelle

Binghamton is a college that shapes young students into adults who learn the meaning of connections, branching out and taking advantage of what is accessible around them. Although it gets boring at times if you are not the avid drinker, Binghamton helps you realize that it is up to you to make the most out of your own college experience. There are events and facilities available to destress, clubs to gain a wonderful rapport and teachers whom are welcoming. It isn't located in the Great Apple, but students come from all around as well.

Pauline

Binghamton, aka the Ivy of public universities has a nice campus and a beautiful environment. So far, the classes are decent sizes except for the very popular ones which have over 100 students. The teachers are great and so are the T.A's. The only downside is the food is okay and also the city of Binghamton is very sketchy and scary.

Binghamton University is surprising. There are so many different things that people can try. There are different kinds of people that you can talk to about anything. The living communities are very friendly and you can always count on someone for help. This school has exposed me to many things and has allowed me to grow in the short amount of time I have been here. I am very grateful for this school and all that it has done for me.

Kamryn

If you'd asked me this exact question eleven months ago, I would've told you I hated it. Living in NYC my whole life, I had no interest in going upstate and moving away from all my friends (who chose to attend CUNYs). But my parents decided for me that this was the school they wanted me to attend; and I'm happy they made that decision. Once I let go of my fear of the unknown, and opened myself up to meeting new people and being in a new environment, I saw the beauty of the university. Though the nature preserve's beauty is often boasted, it is not the only thing that makes this university beautiful. While the statistics often show a lack of diversity, BU makes up for that with the organizations and clubs it has that are geared towards helping students find that piece of home that they're looking for. BU also has an amazing transit system. The OCCT and BC transit make getting necessities or even going out for a night of fun easily accessible, whether you live off campus or on. The only complaint I'd say is the weather, but that's not something the university can control. However, they CAN allow more snow days when it gets brutal, especially for commuters, as I can't even imagine the struggle they must have to get to BU on really bad snow days. Other than that, BU is an amazing school, and I 100% recommend it to anyone. Don't fear moving away! It's a wonderful change, and BU would be the perfect place to have that experience.

Isaiah

Every collage has its pros and cons. Binghamton has a beautiful campus in the warmer seasons, but in the winter it gets cold and the winds are crazy. The academics are tough but rewarding. You have to put the work in but you learn the material and that's what matters.

Ida

Overall at Binghamton, you get what you pay for. Although it is not THE BEST school, I've had a pretty good experience so far. There are many opportunities, but you definitely have to be the one to be initiative. There are quite a few events that happen every week that you should look out for. Communities on campus for housing are fun to live in, although the dining hall food is not always the best. Academic wise, it is always a huge work load and I wish there were more electives to take out of my restrictive major courses. However, along with working hard, kids in Binghamton party hard as well.

Miguel

It is the greatest place on earth. Even after i moved off campus I spent the majority of every day on campus. After graduation I visited so frequently that students were asking me questions such as: what classes are you taking? what community do you live in? what's happening for the night? This school truly shaped my professional career, connection to other people, and the discovery of myself.

Elize

Bad location, okay place. The professors are extremely accessible and knowledgable about their subject area, though large class sizes can hinder the relationship a student has with a professor/ the quality of the class itself. The vendor at Binghamton, Sodexo, is not the best in terms of food, though dining halls have late night hours for those who chose to stay up.

Amber

SUNY Binghamton is a great school and there are many opportunities from career services to internships to the vast array of student organizations. Do not be shy at this school as there is something for everyone to get involved in. Your peers will also be a major bonus.

Dea

It's a great school academically and socially. You have to be on top of your studies, but going out on the weekends is also a great way to make friends and meet new people. There are also so many clubs you could join that are fun for everyone. The school is honestly a really great choice!

Jillian

Binghamton University is a fantastic place to attend. From the academics to the sports, the university is all around great. There are plenty of options for extracurriculars and you will never be disappointed with the night life. Definitely recommend to everyone applying to school.

Mia

SUNY at Binghamton has the academic rigor of a high-tear private school, for the price of a SUNY school. The breadth of choices of majors is astounding. There is everything from Arabic to Biomedical Engineering. Outside of the classroom, there is a plethora of extracurricular activities. You can immerse yourself in a variety of culturally diverse groups or join in on a Division I basketball game. SUNY Binghamton really offers the best college value.

Adelaide

Depending on the major and school, the degree of academic challenge differs greatly. There's always a party to go to, but they're more or less all the same. The food is good and there's a pretty decent range of options across the different dining halls which all do something slightly different.

Sung Eun

SUNY Binghamton is more than your ordinary school; aside the usual partying, high-skill-high reward classes and extracurricular activities, this is a college stabilized through its unity of its students and staff. The encouragement of people to participate in various different classes, clubs or other activities, respectful and kind views towards all races and ethnicity, clean facilities and high school spirits keep people safe, happy and united! There's classes for everyone to take and enjoy (or simply gain knowledge and credit)!

I love being at SUNY Binghamton! It is such an affordable school, yet you are getting a great educational value. Would 100% recommend to any interested students! The food on campus is superb and there are always events happening on and off-campus. Not to mention, the atmosphere is overall very welcoming and supportive. I hope you choose SUNY Bing!

Hyun

SUNY Binghamton is the epitome of an average university; you as a student must go out there and make friends of yourself. The community has ways to place foreign students to be Teacher Assistants for many introductory classes, which really ends up in either confusion or chaos because half of these people don't even know what they are doing, and most of the students who are taking those classes end up being confused. Party life at Binghamton can be too much although it should be expected because it is a college and kids want to liberate themselves from their parents at such an age. Professors here are adequate, but most of them can be either selfish, dishonest, or just off topic in general about most of the things. Sometimes I wonder if college is a scam.

Overall, I think Binghamton University is great and is well worth the cost of tuition. The professors are knowledgeable and accessible, the food is pretty good and there's a good variety, there's always something to do either on campus or off and the nature preserve is awesome!

Binghamton University offers a wide range of programs for any major. As a transfer student, they made me feel completely at home and had endless opportunities specifically for transfers. I chose this school because of how involved professors and advisors are. They only want to see the students succeed. By being a business major, I have access to jobs and internships I wouldn't have been able to apply to hadI not attended this university.

jiang

The performances of all employees in this university are very weak, and only wasting time and most of them don't do their responsibilities well.

Kimberly

Binghamton University provides a fantastic education for an undergraduate degree. The professors are well qualified and know the information inside and out. The large number of international students provide a nice touch of diversity. The downside is the location in central New York, the town is suffering and does not have too much to offer. That is definitely something to consider for prospective students coming from a big city. The shift to small town life can be a struggle. Overall, the education and opportunities at Binghamton are something to consider.

Christine

I LOVE my school. I just transferred to Binghamton lasts spring, so I've been here for a little over one semester. This is a very rigorous school, the classes are challenging, they push you to think outside of the box. This is a big institution for research so if you are majoring in anything science related, this is the place for you. This campus is also so beautiful. Most buildings are renovated so almost everything is brand new. Coming from a high school that was big on school spirit, Binghamton fulfills that for me. Although there is no football team, the school spirit on this campus is great. Greek life is pretty big here, but there are so many different types of clubs and organizations so anyone is bound to fit in somewhere. Lastly, the food. The food is surprisingly pretty good here. There are 4 different dining halls as well as many cafes around campus. Each dining hall serves the same basic menu but they all have different specialties. For example, one dining hall will also serve kosher meals. All in all, I love my school, it's great here and I don't ever want to leave.

Brandon

SUNY at Binghamton is a phenomenal institution. The university is well-equipped academically, has an amazing faculty and staff, and assures the student body with a great social life. The school balances out each student's academic life with extracurricular activities, work study and social events to guarantee the formation of a well-rounded individual.

Binghamton is not too far from the city but is enough to grow into an independent adult. The campus size is a good size, not too small and not too big. It makes getting to class not a difficult task. The winters get pretty cold so winter jackets are a must. There are so many students with different interests which creates a lovely community. The school is academically challenging however there is a big study vibe within the school. There are plenty of students gathered at the library studying alone or in groups and TAs giving review sessions.