Potsdam, NY
SUNY College at Potsdam

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Potsdam

Steven

SUNY Potsdam is a very diverse college, filled with mixed ideas and a heavy emphasis on tolerance, acceptance, and unity.

My experience at SUNY Potsdam has been a rich one. Living on campus has exposed me to many different ideas and lifestyles, and I believe that my view of the world has been greatly expanded. The value of education here is great, but even the professors and staff stress going out and living life, encouraging students to take acceptable breaks from studying and writing papers to go out, have fun and relax. Typically, professors will encourage many school-based events that are applicable to the subject matter we're studying in class. This tends to give people a break from the classroom setting, while still encouraging them to learn without someone lecturing at them. The classes can still incorporate a heavy workload at times, but they're still relatively stress-free. It's almost relaxed, while still keeping the expectation that you will try to learn the subjects. Overall, the atmosphere is what has made this such a valuable college experience.

For me, the setting. SUNY Potsdam is located in a rural area, so there aren't a lot of students running around. The place is very spacious, very quiet, and getting into classes isn't a huge hassle. It's just a nice place to be.

Melinda

Suny Potsdam offers many profession with a staff wanting to help and guarantee the success of each student.

My classmates here at Suny Potsdam are eager and willing to learn, they also do not hesitate to help with any question or concern that someone may have throughout class.

Assuming i had the chance to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school student, the most important thing i would tell myself is that i can do it. Upon coming into college the fear of failure is lerking aroud every corner. The classes require more input than in high school but you are capable of completing each with the best of your ability. High school classes and teachers try to get you ready to enter the new enviornment and be able to coop with the changes. The self doubt is what drives you to do the best you possibly can and allow for improvement on topics you thought you knew. Overall, the fear of not knowing how well youll be able to do once finally enrolled in classes is scary and nerve racking. However, there is no need to worry every second of the day because there are people willing to help and further your success. Thus, i would tell myself that it is possible for me to accomplish my goals and not fear the transition from home to college.

Looking back and being able to talk to myself as a high school senior would be immensely helpful. I would tell myself to think rationally about finances for college and to ignore the pressure to declare a major right off the bat. Instead of jumping right into a four-year college without a defined plan, which I did, I should have taken the chance to attend a two-year community college free of charge on account of my good grades. This would have given me time to feel out different career paths and make a sound decision concerning a major. Also, I wouldn't have to be concerned about paying back student loans quite as soon. I would reiterate to my high school self that doing what you love is the most important thing in life, and no one can tell you what makes you happy except you. Truly, if I had this opportunity to go back in time and talk to the younger me, it would have made a huge, beneficial difference in my life.

The worst thing about SUNY Potsdam is the rooming assignments. It's done randomly so chances are you're going to get put in a room with a roomate who doesn't share any interests as you. This is what happened to me, and I'm finding it very difficult to move out of the current room I'm in and into a room better suited for me.

When I tell my friends about SUNY Potsdam I often brag to them about the sense of school pride, campus, and food! Everyone seems very connected at SUNY Potsdam and proud to be attending and/or working there. The campus is also very beautiful, both buildings and grounds are kept meticulously clean. I can always count on pathways being plowed and salted in the winter. Last but not least, the food is amazing!! Dexter's and Becky's are the best places to eat, but all dining locations are superb!

Allison

We are best known for the Crane School of Music, the first music education college in the country.

I would tell myself to not give up. I was rejected from Crane, and had to work really hard my first semester at SUNY Potsdam to get in, but I did it. I would tell myself not to lose hope, because the first semester is the start of something wonderful and life changing. I would not tell myself about my ex-boyfriend, because even though I was in a depression for two month after he dumped me, it helped make me into the woman I am today. I would tell myself to have fun and enjoy the first semester. I would be very careful what advice I gave, because through my many mistakes I became a better, stronger woman. My last piece of advice would be to be strong and brave, because I went through a lot of tough times, but in the end they have all been worth it.

If you love music and have a hard work ethic, you should come. The work -load can be very demanding, but once you graduate from the Crane School of Music, everyone in New York State music education knows you got a really good education.

Cecelia

I have an advice that I gave to myself: Have fun, keep your mind on the books, get awesome grades, and don't think for one minute that you're going to give up everything you've worked hard for.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is described as someone who does not take school and its academics in a very serious matter. While some students are selling drugs to commiting crimes going against school policies (assault, plaigarism, etc...), other students should be careful with what people they are dealing with.

The most frustrating thing about school is juggling between my social life (drawing in bars and restaurants) and a ton of schoolwork (research papers, classwork, visiting tutors on a regular basis).

Candace

Everyone in Potsdam is very welcoming and friendly.

Everyone in Potsdam is very welcoming and friendly.

The worst thing about my school is the current fincancial situation with the State cutting our budget.

I would tell myself to look into financial aid optoins more thoroughly before going to college because if I had I would possibly be going to college for free. Other than that, I would tell myself to be myself and by doing that I will find life long friends. By being myself and giving others a fair chance I have made some of the best friends I have ever had in my life and have had a very positive experience.

JennyGac

Learn how to study. Many High School students get by with decent grades without actually studying- but find they don't really know how to study and learn material when they are in college, where the classes are much more challenging. Get involved in campus activities as soon as you get to school. They help you make friends and build a support system. Study abroad. There is no greater teacher than to go out and experience the world, gaining infinite perspective. Keep in touch with your family. Now that you're out of the house you just might find that it's easier to talk to your parents, siblings, etc. You don't want to lose those connections; now is the time to build real adult relationships that will last forever. Don't let a romantic relationship consume your life and govern all your decisions. You will lose yourself in that relationship and down the road might just look back and realize you didn't get to do everything you wanted to during the best and most important years of your life.

The support provided by the professors as well as the campus services. Also, the friendly atmosphere of the students; they are always willing to help out or get involved.

Someone who is looking for a small liberal-arts college with a close-knit community of faculty and students.

Andrew

From the classes I've taken, they are extremely diverse.

From the classes I've taken, they are extremely diverse.

Since I am an aspiring athlete I would advise myself to attend a college which would best assist me in achieving my dream of becoming a professional athlete. I have attended the State University of New York at Potsdam with the purpose of recieving an excellent education, but the athletic aspect has been a major short-coming. I would advise myself to find an equally excellent education at a different school with a better athletic program.

Amy

The Crane School of Music, it is one of the best music schools in New York. Some of my friends have been in one of the programs and to hear them sing or play their instruments is amazing. But overall the entire artistic side of SUNY Potsdam is pretty exciting, there are always dance performances, acting performances, local bands or entertainment shows, it really is great to see the diverse cultures perform.

Okay, so when you get there you're going to be scared and unsure of how to meet friends. You won't have curfews & someone will invite you to a party. If you go, be safe. Go with somebody you trust. There'll be alot of activities to do on & off campus, don't hesitate to join a group of interest, or at least go to one of their meetings to learn what they're about. If you don't participate in the extracurriculars you'll miss out on alot & partying is not what really matters. Develop & create who you want to be, forget about popularity contests, make the most of your education, you're paying for it. Money issues might stress you out, but online resources, the financial aid office & FAFSA will help. It's worth it to take a chance, see where it can bring you, who you will meet, & what you will learn. This is the time of your life, live it to the fullest. Try, if you fail, try again, learn, ask questions & introduce yourself to others, they're just as intimidated by you as you are of them. You will look back and be proud.

The weather is frustrating. It gets really cold in the winter months and the wind is the worst. The snow can accumulate fast and driving conditions get bad, but the school has a text message system to alert if school is canceled, so that is good!

SUNY College at Potsdam administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.