Texarkana, TX
Texarkana College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texarkana College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the best piece of advice that I could give myself would be to focus on my grades. Some say that grades will not matter in the long run and do not prevent you from going to college but that is not true. College is very expensive and the cost of tuition has increased over the years. If you make good grades through high school then your GPA on your transcript will be good enough to earn you a scholarship that may be able to pay your entire way through college or at least a few semesters to start. Good grades will always pay off in the end and to not have them will be to not earn scholarship. If I could have went back in time and told myself that I believe that I would have made some changes on how I studied and did my homework throughout high school.

The best thing about my school would be the variety of classes offered. Although Texarkana College is a community college it offers many classes for most all degrees. It also offers fun classes such as dance, bowling, golf, swimming, and much more! There are many credit classes and also online classes for those that would like to earn their degree though the comfort of their own home.

Someone who should not attend Texarkana College would be someone who does not see themselves completing college or getting their degree to become successful. Also somebody who is not determined or focused because if you are not those two things then there is no point in going to school. If a certain person does not like smaller schools with fewer people then this is not the school for them. A community college is good for getting use to the college experience so if someone wants to go bigger such as a University this school is not for them.

Jesse

My school is a great step to take before going to a major university.

My school is a great step to take before going to a major university.

I would have taken more college credit classes. I also would have joined more clubs. I wish i had went off to college after high school but i feel more prepared now that i went to a community college. There are some mistakes i wish i could go back and change but i have learned from my mistakes and it has made me stronger for the future.

It doesnt have all of the classes i need to finish my degree, so i need to transfer to finish it.

Chelsea

I would first tell myself to set priorities. Far too often, students straight out of high school do not have their priorities straight. Being able to focus on school, and letting the distractions fall to the wayside. I failed myself, my expectations, and my family's expectations by not setting my priorities straight. I would also tell myself that being able to have fun is a privelege, not a right. School and studying should take precedence over partying, though being able to have fun is also a welcomed distraction, just in small doses. Friends are important to the college experience, but they shouldn't consume a person's life either. Being able to have a balance of school, studying, friends, and fun is the only way to be successful in college.

Bradley

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school senior Bradley Dunkin I would tell him to plan ahead. I would like to go into the medical field and my first year of chemistry really blew me away. Not thinking about the need to study more, I would tell myself to learn how to study. Passing classes in high school were easy but that was not a good thing to perpare myself for college.Though I took some college classes in high school it is nothing like the real thing. I think the best advice I could give would be to never get lazy, work harder and be the best.

Kelci

If I went back to my high school senior year, I would have a very frank conversation with my seventeen year old self. I would advise me to research the colleges, the major, and the course of study for that major. I would tell me that I truly don't know how to study and that it is true that high school is easy. I would try to convince this know-it-all me that the teachers are telling me the truth about college professors, dropout rates, hard tests, and no one looking over your shoulder to make sure you do the work and get it in on time. I would tell myself that it really does help to prepare for college with financial planning, applying for scholarships, and that money will be tight. I didn't understand then that it was possible to make too much money to be eligible for grants and many scholarships yet still not have the money to go to college. I would explain that my parents are giving all they have to give and that I need to carry my part of the burden of getting that most important college education. I might listen.

The worst thing about Texarkana College is the lack of advisors or counseling involvement, knowledge and poor scheduling of those employees. The most important time for advisors to be on campus is at registration time. It is during that time when we find two out of three counselors having a day off. This produces extreme lines and limited time with the counselor. They are not current on the four year schools's degree programs and actually advised me to attend university that does not have my major, and had discontinued the Communication Disorder major five years prior.

While I value some sort of education for everyone, I do believe that Texarkana College is not for everyone. A person must be motivated, self-disciplined and dedicated to succeed at any college but at Texarkana College a student must be keenly aware of his career path and degree plan. A person who is not focused, not active in planning their course layout and schedule, and doesn't have advanced knowledge of their transfer schools requirements will not succeed at TC. Without the advisement of my parents, I would have taken many unnecessary courses

Drew

Going to TC is baiscally like going to high school because just about all the kids from my school and surronding schools all go to TC, even though it may seem like high school the teachers are really good, and it's a good place to get prepared before heading to a bigger school.

I woud tell myself to take all the college class I could so that I wouldn't have to waste time taking really easy classes, and I would tell myself that I need to start learning how to study better so when I start school I will know what I need to be studying.

I wish that they would have told me that some of my hours wouldn't transfer over to other schools.

Texarkana College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.