Pensacola, FL
The University of West Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of West Florida

Tiffany

I think that I am considering this college because it has a really good journalism program and is a great school.

My sisters

My sisters

My sisters went here and they say it's pretty good but they had problems with people constantly changing the requirements for their majors.

conner

The classmates I have at the University of West Florida come from diverse backgrounds, but all are a pleasure to attend school with. I have yet to run into an encounter when someone is unwilling to help me, be it class work or directions to a building. I have met a plethora ofpeople from different backgrounds the give me a wider and more knowledgable perspective of the citizens of our country, and even those from other countries.

I consider the location of my school the best thing about it! UWF is located right next to Escambia Bay, so I get the pleasure of looking out over the bay everyday before I start class and everyday when I leave class. Also, the university is located only 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. So on days when i don't have homework, I am able to go to the beach and just relax with all of my friends.

Youdeline

The University of West Florida is a great school. I consider it a small school but my major is History so my classes are small, it's nice because everyone can participate and we're not all fighting to get noticed. The campus is large and hilly, it is very easy to get your daily exercise by walking across the campus. I would say the best thing about the school is the teachers they know your name and they work with you. The only significant complaint is about parking spaces, a lot of people commute and those spots fill up fast.

In all of my years being at The University of West Florida I have never really seen any Jocks or geeks or people that you can identify as frat. The people that are on the baseball, basketball or soccer teams are involved in other clubs as well. The president of a fraternity was on my mock trial team and I did not know that he was in a fraternity until someone else on my team mentioned it. I do know of so people that smoke weed but I would not qualify them as stoners. Since my school has an assortment of students everybody gets a chance try anything.

I love that my school offers night classes, it's great for people that work during the day or people that are night owls. All of my classes are fun but my favorite class would probably be Cold War and Film. It is a night class so the teacher assigned a group to bring food. It's awesome! In all of my classes participation is mandatory which I love because the more questions we ask the more we learn. My major is History and it is not the biggest department so the students are on first name basis with their teachers. The advisor is really cool and she went to the school too so she tells us what to expect from classes. I don't have any classes that I don't like I just have classes that require more time and effort to stay on top.

You're itching to get away from home and be your own person, I know. Dad doesn't understand you, his wife is twice as bad, and mom cries when she stares at you for prolonged periods of time. You will miss it. Dad wants what's best for you and you'll learn to love his wife because you know he does. Mom will be your voice of reason in times when you need to cry. Leaving home is a beautiful idea in theory, but I promise that you will be lonely despite being surrounded by tons of people. Find Aimee Powell. She's a really good influence on you. Don't get too busy planning for later that you neglect what's happening right now. If you take care of yourself in the present, the rest will come with time. Also, the things that suffocate you now will be your breath of fresh air when you're gone. Hug your brother every chance you can and tell everyone you love what they mean to you. Most importantly, maintain your relationships with everyone you can, and nurture the new ones. You can't do it alone.

Anyone that is willing to keep a positive attitude and work hard. The means to succeed are here as long as there is some effort put in by the student.

Someone who doesn't handle stress well. Often times at this school, small things happen that upset me that I really can't do anything about. Things that could be avoided if the administration worked a little harder or cared a little bit more. Also, people with diet restrictions. The options are not adequate.

Ishmael

I would tell myself that no matter what challenges you face, never give up or get discouraged. As long as you do your best on everything you do, you didn't fail. Never feel ashamed to ask someone for help, even when you think you don't need it. Other people have different ways of solving problems and their way could make it easier for you to understand. Always take advantage of any extra credit opportunities that you teachers provide. The extra credit will always help your grade and it also shows your teacher that you are dedicated to making a good grade. Always get your work done early because it will give you time to thoroughly complete the assignment. Waiting until the last minute to do something will almost always hurt your grade.

The teacher are very knowledgable in their career field. They are always willing to help any student in need.

The food isn't always the best. It's usually rhe same thing every week.

Kyle

One of the things that the University of West Florida is best known for, is having one of the top Maritime Studies departments in the country. No other Maritime Studies program in the U.S. is as diverse as UWF's. The program is incredibly flexible, as it allows students to tailor their degree program to their individual interests. Students complete their degree programs with elective courses from a wide range of disciplines such as Anthropology/Archaeology, Marine Biology, Environmental Studies, History, Art History, Literature, Law, Political Science, and Leisure Studies. The Maritime Studies department is one of a kind.

If I could go back in time and give the high school senior "me" any advice, I would tell myself to dive in deep. I would tell myself to chase curiosity down every road and winding path. I would tell myself that the only was to failure, the only way to truly lose in life, is not to try. I would tell myself that the education that college provides is not only in the classroom, but in the time between classes. Your education comes from the people you meet and the friends that you'll make. It comes from the advice from a caring professor that might not sink in until a few years down the road at just the right time. It comes from the challenges and the struggles, and the will to finish what you start. Most of all, if I could tell myself anything, I would tell myself to have courage. I would post Aristotle's quote to the inside of my eyelids: "Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."

I can only speak for the Maritime Studies degree, but if a person is interested in any aspect of the maritime environment, UWF is the school to attend. From marine biology classes to oceanography, marine archaeology to environmental law, the courses are outstanding. Whether you want to work on the political side of conservation, or in the field, or whether you want to focus on anthropology and ship dives, there's a well rounded curriculum to achieve your goals. UWF is relatively small and personable with dedicated educators and a great student body.

Gabrielle

The uniqu attribute my school possesses is their caring attitude towards the students. The teachers and faculty make going to school here a personal experience for every single student. The school offers free tutoring in every subject, as well as many facilities to help students personally such as a financial center and a health center.

Giving advice to my former self, I would recommend researching scholarships and applying for all that I qualify for. I would also advise myself to listen to my parents more. While at the time you may want them off your back, in the future they are the only ones who will have your back. I would advise myself to do lots of research on balancing classes and homework as well as balancing my personal finances.

I wish I would have known about many scholarship options out there, as well as how to manage finanaces and homework.

Gabriellah

My school is unique in comparison to the other three schools I applied to in that it has an amazing department for veterans and dependents. I didn’t get to visit any schools because I was stationed in Germany (my father’s in the military), but the University of West Florida offered a Military and Veterans program that would help make my going to school easier by providing me with tutors and access to the Yellow Ribbon program, making it easier to pay for my degree.

If I could travel back in time and give my high school senior self some advice, I would jump at the change. I'm currently only a week into school, and already the stress of paying for tuition, meal plan, and my dorm room. It's really hard making everything work out and being able to get everything under control. I would tell myself that I should not decide to ignore the scholarships I checked out. Why? Because scholarships are essential for all years of university learning, but especially that first year, when you're not used to paying five-digit sums of money. I would tell myself that every little bit counts, even scholarships only worth $100, because there's $100 dollars less that you'll have to come up with when it's time to pay your dues. I would also tell my senior self to really enjoy the transition, and that it's easy to start making new friends, no matter how scared and nervous you are. I would tell myself not to be shy, because you're about to meet some really awesome people.

I have no real complaints about my school. I've only been going to classes for a week now, and the only thing I really can complain about is the large set of stairs I have to walk in order to get from my dorm to the commons or any of my classes. But honestly, my school is great and I couldn't ask for better.

The University of West Florida is unique to me because it is a local school where I grew up. It is a pretty big school but it has no football team up until last year when they started to make one. The campus has nature trails and disk golf courses which appeal to me because I like being outside. Not many schools that I looked at have nature trails.

If I could go back to my sophmore year in high school and warn myself about how different college would be I would tell myself not to rush it. I started college when I was a junior in highschool and finished out highschool with college. It has impacted how fast I matured and how responsible I am. I would make myself go to football games and pep rallies instead of skipping them because I was not interested. I would have joined more clubs and participated in all the extracurricular activities instead of trying to grow up so quick. I would tell myself stay in high school and do not rush to college!

I wish I would have known before I came to this school how little of parking there is. You better arrive thirty minutes early for class so you can park two miles away and have time to walk all the way to class. Better bring a long board or skate board to make it quick!

The University of West Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.