University of Detroit Mercy Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Detroit Mercy

Arif

University of Detroit Mercy is a school that is meant for special programs that students are interested in. The campus is nice and small so you can definitely walk from class to class and since the school is small, you can make more connections with people. The tuition is definitely on the higher side but it is manageable with the scholarships. The food and housing could definitely be improved but it isn't terrible. If you are into specific programs such as dentistry, law, nursing or any others that are available at the university than you should join because the advising is really geared towards those programs. Overall not a bad school, as it is nice to be small and still offer some classes which are interesting.

Mariah

The teachers are kind overall and helpful. decent place to attend and great programs offered as well. small class size allows for close teacher and student connection which makes learning much better for me! Lots of great clubs and programs to consider as well, for every different kind of person!

shannon

there wasn't a lot of socializing on campus, and few students actually live there. the campus was safe despite being in a bad area, and there are gates to keep the crime out.

Diana

I am a student that would like to apply to UoD. I am very interested to become a dentist.

Jaylee

I am so happy that I made the choice to attend the University of Detroit Mercy. I am enrolled in the direct-admit nursing program for Detroit Mercy at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids. I love all the professors that I have from the University of Detroit Mercy. They are always happy to teach, which makes learning fun. The professors want us to succeed, and they want us to be successful. Any time I have a technical issue, the people there are always in a cheerful mood and they are willing to help with any of the issues that I have. Detroit Mercy has guaranteed their nursing students 100% job placement after completion of the program, and I can definitely see why after completing my first year in the program. The professors show passion teaching and they push us to be our best. I couldn't have chose a better program!

Natalie

I love Detroit Mercy. The professors are extremely supportive, they drive to help your goals for undergrad and getting into graduate schools (in psychology department there is opportunity for undergrad research too!) Despite being in Detroit, the campus feels very safe-it is gated and public safety can be seen everywhere. I give Detroit Mercy 5/5 stars.

Overall, I think it’s a great school no matter what the field may be. We have great professors that truly help you learn and they’re very easy to talk to. Professors are always willing to help if you’re struggling and they always encourage you to meet with them for any reason. Any question you have almost every facility member at Detroit Mercy will be able to help. I’m happy it was my first choice.

Imaan

It is an extremely small school, which is great for academics, however, difficult for social life. There is not much school pride around the school. This has an effect on enjoying college life because there is not much to do on campus and all the facilities are closed by 10. The direct programs are great for students.

Gabrielle

Detroit Mercy is a wonderful institution. My largest class usually has about 30 students, which allows me to have a personal connection with the students and professor. I most definitely feel secure in the gated community, along with the help of the campus' public safety employees. I am happy that I chose to attend the University of Detroit Mercy.

Karlie

Overall, it's a good school. The community within the school is very inviting for students to try new things, and have lots of helpful resources accessible. But some professors are very very hard, and come off as they don't care if you pass or fail the class.

I honestly think that the University of Detroit Mercy is a great school. They have plenty of extracurricular activities on and off campus. They even encourage you to join clubs and groups to get the whole experience. I think that Detroit Mercy understands the importance of students getting involved and joining things to learn more from these experiences. Not only is Detroit Mercy a good school for encouraging you to join clubs, but they also have plenty of study groups and tutors to make sure you succeed on this safe campus.

Andrea

It's a good school that mainly focuses on education and is not really on the party scene which is both good and not great. The surrounding city is Detroit which is not always a great place to be in. It wouldn't be smart to go out by yourself, but going out in a group, at a reasonable time is OK.

Alyssa

University of Detroit Mercy academics are outstanding. Having class sizes anywhere from ten to fifty kids in a class makes a huge difference in learning the material. The professors I had an encounter with at University of Detroit Mercy all made a difference in my life whether it was for a general education class like writing 101 or one of my 300 levels nurses classes. These professors care about you succeeding. They offer flexible office hours and are good communicators on what has to be accomplished throughout the semester. The professors encourage you to succeed and will give you the tools necessary to do so if you work for it. All my courses at the university been challenging, I had to work to get A’s in my classes, but I would not change it for anything. I have grown tremendously in the past two years and gained a more well-rounded education on a vast amount of subjects of not only by major but others as well. I became more cultural competent which is extremely important to be aware of especially in a field like nursing. Overall, I met amazing classmates who turned into my brothers and sisters. We work together to do projects, help each other out when we are struggling and forever friends to laugh with on the weekend. In contrast, student housing it not the best at Detroit Mercy. There is limited housing to choose from and the buildings often fill up fast. The cafeteria food is also limited, especially with the hours of operation limited to certain times. In conclusion, Detroit Mercy changed me as a student. I would recommend anyone to attend this school and receive a well-rounded education.

University of Detroit Mercy is an amazing school. They are very involved in the students academics, and are extremely helpful with classes and any questions you may have. If you are not understanding the material they work with you to make sure you fully understand the material. It is a very welcoming school with great students and professors.

BriAnn

I love the location and how easy it is to make friends. The classes are really hard. The food is terrible so I get takeout off campus. There is no hot water. The buildings are old. There is a lot of tutoring and help you can get outside of the classroom.

Miranda

Living on campus, there is not much to do nearby or on campus. It can be very boring, causing many people to not want to stay there. Class sizes are small, which is great. Although, a lot of the professors there are not the best. Many have a lot of knowledge on the topics, but simply are not strong in relaying it to students and actually teaching it. Staff that works for Metz, the food company are rude a lot of the time, and not easy to talk to. Food in general there is not good and makes people sick.

Hailey

It is a great campus and very prestigious academically. They are top of the line in nursing, it is a very competitive and rigorous program to be in. In Detroit, the campus is in a slightly sketchy neighborhood but it is safe on campus. The nursing program really does push your limits but so far it has been worth it.

Jorge

This small school in Detroit has impacted me greatly when it comes to making my final decision on where I will be attending in the fall. As of right now I am taking dual enrollment classes and being in a small environment keeps me encouraged to ask questions and have more access to professors other campuses may struggle with due to large class sizes. This university makes me proud that I will attend and receive a degree in communication studies.

Gonzalo

Currently I have not started school there, I begin in a few months, but what I have seen at Detroit mercy had drawn me there because I know I will have the ability to succeed there. The community is also really small compared to other university's and I know I will be able to make a lot of close connections there.

Kimberly

my overall opinion about University of Detroit Mercy is that it is a very good school to attend. I am a transfer student from North Carolina and they was able to set everything up for me before I even got to Detroit. They help me make sure that I had all of my classes ready for the next semester. When my advisor didn't hear from me before I can to the school she would reach out and ask if I am ok and do I need any help with anything that may be stopping me from coming to the school. They also helped me when it came to my financial aid to make sure that I am getting all the help that I need so that I can take the classes that I need to take.