University of Louisiana at Lafayette Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Phoebee

ULL allows their students to come up with their own questions, research, and opinions. They have state of the art facilities with plenty of awards to prove as such. There truly aren’t such things as stupid questions here, and that’s my honest opinion. They are big on making the university truly a home away from home and make every student, faculty member, and visitors alike feel like family. The sky is the limit and I’m proud to now call myself a mighty Ragin Cajun

Caleb

I had a good time at UL, but it was not all that I wanted out of a college. The campus is sloppily put together, the facilities are out of date, and the education was not great. The city itself is not great, as there is tons of traffic and not very well maintained. Downtown is pretty lifeless until the bars open or an event hits!

Jonai

The school is overall a great facility to meet new people and enjoy the campus life. It meets the social needs when it comes down to having access to tutoring and study groups within certain classes. However, some of the standards are not met when it comes down to pricing and how much tuition is every semester, it is overpriced with substandard qualities. The safety could use a little more work and also making the school more handicap-accessible for students would improve things for everyone. There is not much to do on-campus and if there is not much advertising is done to make students aware. It is not the worst school or the best, it is great for a start and for the college experience. Some faculty and staff make the most of the experience by being excellent professors. In this you can build your learning community.

Brianna

It is a great university with great people. They have many programs and facilities that are there to help students succeed all you have to do is go and ask for help. They are dedicated to their students and the community around them. I love this school.

Tamatrion

I personally love my University! Compared to other schools in Louisiana, UL is one of the best options. Campus isn't too big, but not too small. We party HARD.. but there's also tons of downtime to study and to get things done. Overall, we just have a great balance and I love that! #UL

I really like the people here because they all make you feel welcome. The environment here is amazing because there are people not only from all over the United States but around the world. ULL is a great community and I hope to continue my education here throughout these next three years.

Melanie Jane

There are huge administrative problems at this university. The University lacks important majors such as Philosophy due to the blatant disregard for academia and student opinion; instead, the administration is focused on keeping investors content. Advisors are not well-informed on curriculum standards, causing many students to take far more than the average 4 years to graduate; department chairs are at time unreachable and fail to properly inform students about graduation requirements, never admitting their faults. Mandated health insurance is steeply priced and only covers expenses if an accident occurs; being treated for the flu without additional personal insurance can run upwards of hundreds of dollars. There is no parking on campus for commuter students, who make up 83% of the student body. Student workers are hired to handle important positions in the administrative offices, including Registrar and Work-Study offices, often making erroneous mistakes leading to problems with registration, graduation, and payroll. Computer labs often have problems with printing, and students are limited to $25 of printing per semester with no way to add more funds. The University only offers two scholarships, none of which are for students proceeding to graduate school. There is next to no help for students attempting to apply for graduate school, with the only help coming from students' professors. The best thing about this university, honestly, is the professors and campus PD. Otherwise, the facilities, administration, and care shown by the majority of the student body is subpar.

Jonathan

UL Lafayette is a decent college and is somewhat affordable. Yet I can see things falling apart if the administration, faculty, and students are not careful. I feel like I have to invest more time and energy into things that I do not have. There are resources on campus that are useful and there are things that I wish we had. There is no place in the world like Lafayette, Louisiana but unfortunately a student's experience here may be ruined by

Jillian

ULL is a wonderful school with an even more so wonderful atmosphere and surrounding area. There are many activities by which to become involved and find your niche!

Francisco

UL actually sucks in many ways. Many people who like it are either extroverted or "fit in" demographically, and if you don't fit then you're out of luck. Most people say that the campus is big but it's actually minuscule compared to other universities such as FIU, UCLA, or even it fellow Louisiana uni, LSU. Half of ULL's facilities is also decrepit compared to universities such as Coastal Carolina Uni, Appalachian State, or Troy University, all who are in the same Sporting Division (SunBelt). Angelle Hall (School of Music) has black mold in the ceilings, and half the practice rooms have holes on walls. Fletcher Hall (Art, Print, Design, and Architecture) received a massive overhaul since it was hazard, while Griffin (Literture and History), and Mouton (Political Science) halls are still stuck in USL days back in the 80s. Bourgeois Hall (Athletics) on the other hand received a whopping $3M upgrade to its a facilities and Football Coach Mark Hudspeth is said to have recently made a $6.45M contract for the next 6 years (source: http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-contract-for-ulls-mark-hudspeth-bumps-salary-past-1-million/), while a Dean of a department makes a 1/10 of that annually (source: http://www1.salary.com/LA/Dean-of-Students-salary.html). While we are on the subject of SunBelt, ULL has a heavy focus on sports especially on Football and they suck for the most part. When the football team does make it to the finals they ONLY play in New Orleans and no where else. In terms of education, many majors have been removed over the years due to low admittance and many more will follow. Also many departments are also underfunded and fall short of their respective industry leading standards in spite of tuition almost doubling in the past couple of years on in-state tuition alone (sources: FAFSA and http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/louisiana/university-of-louisiana-at-lafayette) tacked mainly onto fees since Louisiana Proposed Amendment 2 was rejected in the 2016 election while it kills many students ability to pay for school (source: http://thevermilion.com/tops-spring). ULL also created a "Master Plan" which also increased tuition to "improve the school" and the funds were used to build a small fountain with a giant fleur-de-lis sitting on top of it which was "voted by the students. The campus is beset by horrible traffic while driving. St.Mary Blvd, the main street that runs through the school, was originally 4 lanes (2 opposing lanes of flowing traffic) constricted currently to 2 lanes (1 lane each for traffic) with the outer lanes becoming bike lanes due to many reports of hit-and-run incidents onto students on their bicycles over the years. The Master Plan also paid for that and (with confirmation) was approved by students.Unless your major is in Business, Accounting, Nursing, Kinesiology, or Petroleum Engineering (I may have forgotten 2 more) finding job opportunities are hard to come by and many of them keep you in Louisiana. So if you plan on moving, you better hope that you are prepared and that your education will carry you through! Many professors outside of those fields most likely will not be able to tell you of opportunities or internships available to help you develop in your future career. I had to tell my professors of what was going was on in the area because they mainly come to work, go home, and nothing more. ULL is also quick to claim anyone famous who has attended the school "Alumni" although more than half were actually attendees such as Frank Ocean. If you go thorough the Alumni list on certain websites, many of them actually transferred out of ULL/USL (it's former name) to other universities throughout the nation. According to FAFSA, ULL has a 45% 4-year graduation rate compared to many Louisiana post-secondary school. I hope this review was helpful and PLEASE consider all of your options because choosing this school. An out-of-state college/university may be the better option.

Allison

This school is more concerned with money, and paying for useless renovations to the campus than they are with putting their students first and their focuses on academic advancements. The university as a whole is very unorganized and has a corrupt administration system.

Maddi

ULL is a great school, I love it. It sometimes gets the short end of the stick because of LSU being better. I love the homey feeling I get at UL, it just feels like its where I'm supposed to be. I like that the classes are not too big and that the teachers are always available during office hours or through email and they are always very helpful. There are a few things that could be improved like the food in the Cafeteria for one and the communication between the school and the students on certain things. Sometimes you know everything you're supposed to and other times you're three months late to sign up for housing because there was no email or notification that registration had opened. But overall i love UL, it is a great school.

Willie

University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a great college experience and atmosphere. It's a competitive school that wants everyone to do their best to achieve their goal. The academics is complex but with students help and the professor's guide it becomes more facile and you'll have a better connection with the teaches and students there

Grace

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a wonderful college. It's large enough to have top of the line facilities and programs, but it never feels crowded or overwhelming. Nearly all of my professors have been very open about wanting students to pass and have readily offered assistance. Overall, I love my university and believe it to be a great institution.

J

I wasn't initially interested in attending the University of Louisiana at Lafayette but that all changed once I decided on my field - Int'l relations. Their political science department is tricameral: general poli sci, pre-law, and int'l relations. This allows a lot of room for specialization of one's chosen field of study. Furthermore, each branch has professors that are passionate and make themselves available all the time. They're super passionate and resourceful. All of this makes me really appreciate UL at Lafayette. Many of the facilities on campus are new and kept clean and manicured. Although the wifi has a long way to go in terms of speed, it is being worked on which is great. Overall, there is more good that UL at Lafayette has to offer than bad. There are a plethora of clubs to join and become involved in. Your experience at this school is really what you make of it.

Angelique

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette has genuinely become my home for the last few months. As a first-time freshman, the faculty, staff, and students have all been incredibly helpful and a great hand. I am especially grateful for the time amount of time ULL puts into properly educating its students and making sure they graduate college with all their resources.

Adrienne

UL is only great if you make it great, which is possible through getting involved. if I didn’t get involved, then I would have transferred like other people. The school is pretty divided, but is known for being “diverse”. Black organizations on campus are not university funded, but others are. To maneuver around campus, it’s not who you know, but who knows you. On the bright side, students have the chance to fully express themselves at any capacity.

natalie

personally I think the program I am in for nursing is phenomenal however the rest of the university is messed up. they need to find a way to make everything more affordable. there is way to much focus on athletic and not enough on acedemics. they will find new ways each semester to nickle and dime you and they should provide more affordable parking and just more parking in general

Alissa

I loved attending this university! I recently graduated in December of 2018, and I had the best experience here. As with all schools, college is what you make it. I put in a lot of time and effort into getting involved on campus, and it really paid off. I lived on campus two years, and I really enjoyed it. The dorms are updated and nice in comparison to other LA schools. I lived about five minutes off campus for two years, and it was nice getting my own house but I missed the convenience of being on campus. Dining options are limited and my biggest complaint. Cafeteria hours aren't long enough and there's not a lot of places where your dining plan will work nearby, but Lafayette has a great food scene. Classes are relatively easy if you put in the effort, and professors are wonderful (at least in Liberal Arts). There is always something happening in the community, which is a nice break from school work. Greek life is fun, but not required to be somebody on campus. Lots of orgs to get involved in, and lots of opportunities to work in the city. Overall, I loved my experience at UL and my friends at other Louisiana schools have not had as good of experiences as I have.

Kaylor

This campus is amazing if you are looking for a school that is not too big or small. The professors are always there for their students and the over faculty and staff is very helpful. As for housing, it is expensive and so as for tuition, but for education this is a A+.

Connor

It is a great school, if you want a quality experience with people you can easily get along with. As a music education major, we are given plenty of opportunities to put on events for the student body, and we like to invite everyone we come across. ULL is a solid choice

Mary

I am currently in the online MBA program and I find the program to very well executed. The instructors are helpful and always available. They realize that we aren't able to get that face-to-face interaction. So, they do what they can to help in anyway possible and to make sure we succeed in the program.

kaelyn

I think overall it is a pretty decent school, the one thing I dislike about it is that with that all the money we pay in tuition they made me buy my own chair because we didn't have enough or if we did then it was to high to sit at the desk and I would be hunched over with my back hurting.

Hailye

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is an overall fun and welcoming environment. From my brief visitations I have been able to see that it’s a place full of culture and diversity. The atmosphere is so friendly and I can’t wait to attend in the fall!

Brittney

Overall it is a good University for local and in-state students. The tuition is low compared to other State universities. Student involvement has increased considerably over the years and the University has made many improvements academically, recreationally, and infrastructurally.

Rosie

My first year and will be the best and many more to come. I am a in incoming freshmen and based ooff orientation its going to be a great experience for me. Very excited to see what ULL has plan for me. Can't wait to have this experience that will never forget

Victoria

I love it here, it's the perfect distance from home and it was very easy to learn my way around Lafayette. This is a no tobacco campus, but that doesn't stop anyone. I may feel safe enough to tell someone where I am going at night, but my friends rather someone else go with them to make them feel safe. It isn't the biggest campus in Louisiana, but leaving 20-minutes before any class is usually a good idea (30 if the class is on the other side of campus).

Gabriella

Great school. I am very impressed by the beauty of the school’s campus everything is lively and beautiful. The upperclassman are also very kind and very exciting and they were very helpful in the transition to get into college. The administration are kind and make everything easier for the students. They genuinely want to see you succeed

Wesley

I went to a community college before attending ULL (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) and I can honestly say that it is amazing I wish I had gone earlier. Not only are the classes fun and engaging the professors are always available to help or talk to you! People are always in the library so you can always meet others to talk to. There is something to do almost every day too!

Jordyn

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette has been a great school to be apart of. Though it is in a small town, the sense of unity and family between fellow peers is what really makes UL shine. The teachers are super helpful and the campus it very clean and beautiful. Overall, being at UL has been a great experience!

Railey

ULL is a great school overall. The campus is absolutely beautiful and so are the people. I've learned about a new group called CHI ALPHA that I love already. There are many groups on the campus as well as events. For some reason while you are on the campus there is a sense of warmth. Maybe its the people or maybe its the scenery but all around I adore it.

Mariah

A great school. Most of the professors are very understanding that life happens and will help to make sure that you pass their class as long as you do your part. Many different activities and organizations to be a part of. There’s something for everyone.

My overall opinion of University of Louisiana at Lafayette is that it's very cultured. I love seeing so many different ethnicities and hearing different accents around campus. It's extremely diverse with not only people, but food as well. In the cafeteria there are nights that consist of Mexican food, Asian food, and my favorite, cajun food. My school is located in south Louisiana, so we have a very cultured atmosphere. My favorite time of the year is Lagniappe Day. It is a day full of crawfish, canoeing, and socializing.

Cadee

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a place I feel at home. You will always be greeted by kind people who care about anything you have to say. The amount of student body diversity is great, and creates and interesting learning environment. All of the professors I have experienced love their jobs and care about the students they teach. The rest of the staff is always super happy to help in anyway they can. I have to say, UL-Lafayette has some of the best on-campus food choices I have ever experienced. The diversity of food choices is sure to make everyone feel welcome. Overall, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a great place to be!

Emma

My overall opinion of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is that it is a truly amazing university. There are some rather unpopular qualities about the university such as the tuition and fees, but what college doesn't have that. There is a very southern Louisiana home-y feeling to the campus of U.L.L whilst also providing an extraordinary experiecne for students who come to the university for all across the world. If there was one college i would want people to consider coming to in Louisiana if you want to feel like you are surrounded by love and support for anything it is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Chelsea

I absolutely love being a Ragin’ Cajun. The only think I would complain about is the lack of funding and scholarships opportunities for everyone. I’m and older non-traditional student and I’m only offered loans. I have a 4.0 gpa and they can’t help me with scholarships that are fit for me.

Rebecca

I think the school is decent. I feel like I am getting a well rounded education. However, organization could do a better part of getting students interacted with on campus activities and better parking. I'm too broke to be paying $50 because I don't have a $200+ parking pass per semester.

Mary

I do believe this is a good college for the community, but it very behind in technology and transcripts. I am a transfer student and trying to get my transcript transcribed for the University of Louisiana is a time consuming effort to get anyone to follow through. Scheduling class is a nightmare! It should be an easy transition and all I should have to focus on are my studies. Instead, I’m spending days trying to track down the right people to look st my transcript for class schedules.

Jessie

It’s a home away from home environment and the staff is wonderful I am really looking forward to coming to this university because the people here really care for you and they talk to you not at you some 2020 here I come with bells on to achieve the highest goal I am with a Bachelors Degree to take with me Thanks.

Lucien

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a great college to attend. Located in a small town, ULL is big on their college sports. Homecoming and game days are something to never miss. The extra curricular activity opportunities are endless. From student council, to fraternities and sororities, to religious affiliations, there is something for everyone. I loved everything about ULL. Great staff, great friends, and great southern food!

Jaslyn

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a great school if you are looking for a place that has great academics and plenty of opportunities to get involved. There is most likely an organization for everyone to join, and if there isn't, there are ways of creating that organization you want. ULL cares about people having a great education and always gives opportunities for students to share their opinions.

Leah

There are nice professors. Some of them will be nice and allow you to come to office hours, and they will even hold conversations with you just for fun. The others will answer your question then wonder why you are still standing there. Overall it is a good university.

jatavion

I love the schoo and everything about it , go cajuns , it has always been my dream school I would never chose another university over my university, it is very beautiful , peaceful yet exploding with entertainment and lovely characters. this had been the best experience for me

Kristen

I believe the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL) is amazing in so many ways., but every pro has a small con attached. For example, On-Campus housing options are great! The rooms are clean and any issues that arise can be quickly solved or fixed. Communication with the housing department prior to move-in was difficult and delayed (I received my roommate's contact information the day before I moved in. Granted, I moved in two weeks early, but so did 100 other students) The campus is beautiful and facilities are frequently cleaned and maintained. However, the parking towers are frankly gross, the elevators in the tower occasionally break down, and the staircases are littered with bugs and smell nasty. All professors have been incredible so far, everyone is very open and available and generally wants students to succeed. On the flip side, I did have a class get canceled 3 days before classes started and had to completely rearrange my schedule due to the change. And while I did list a few negatives, those are really all I can think of. I love this campus so so much, and Lafayette really feels like home now. The pro's definitely outweigh the cons. I'd recommend ULL to almost anyone!

Zamond

exciting and thrilling the students there help with whatever questions you may have, the staff engages in trying to help students with their finical aid, when i and call about questions either admission and/or finical aid questions the staff help me out. So I'm very apprecitative.

Caitlin

Most of the buildings are old and in need of repair.

As I will be attending in the fall as a nursing student, I am pumped to go and live among the diverse culture and home-like atmosphere. So many students or just visitors have commented on the homey atmosphere set in place on campus. There are so many things to get involved in to make the experience and atmosphere even better. I'm ready to go and see what ULL has to offer me in my 4 years of nursing school. College, I'm coming for you!