Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Joy

You cannot come to UMBC and not work hard, you are setting yourself up for failure. is a really hard school.

the social life is really not good, alot of people that attend umbc are commuters. and most parties happen outside of school.

Struggling with applied calculus when I first came to Umbc, made me wish I took AP calculus in high school. My first time in a college calculus class was very weird. Because I could not make sense of what my professor was saying. All she said was “cos sin” “beta” “alpha” “derivatives” and the worst part was we could not use calculators. The bad part or you might say good part about high school is you get to use scientific calculator in finding stuff like derivative or finding the cos sin of something, but it was very frustrating that I could not use any calculators, so calculus 1 for me was a struggle but my professor was very helpful and since I worked hard, and i got a B for that class. Another thing I wish I did in high school was, playing sports from the 10th up to 12th grade so I can be very good at it and plays for Umbc. Athletes at Umbc are spoiled, they get free food, find jobs easily, get scholarship and go on road trips, and they even get extra time to get their homework done. They have more fun, they are respected.

Umu

Going back into time talking to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give to myself is talk with other high school teachers and counselors for extra advice, apply early, look for the best, but least expensive school, and apply for many scholarships. I would also consider going to a local 2 year community college after high school. Starting off at a 2 year community college can save a lot of money, avoid college debt, and allow other opportunities to build your academic portfolio. I would also suggest getting involved early on in activities, meeting professors one on one outside of class, and explore many of the opportunities given as a college or freshman student. It is important to stay focused, if you don't understand something ask the professor for extra help; seek tutoring or other online useful resources to help in understanding any specific subject planning a weekly schedule and goals will help motivate you in disciplining yourself to become a great student and multitasking abilities. For instance, one should set a schedule for study time, extracurricular actives, or a part-time job etc. Overall, these suggestions can help in making a productive college transition.

I wished I would have known more about the Honors Program because it is such a great opportunity. I also wished I would have known about more scholarships open to new transfer students.

I really enjoy attending the University of Maryland Baltimore County. As a first year transfer student, I had a great experience ad can't state anything as the worst of my school. Although no school is perfect, I have yet to have the best experience. The faculty really cares about helping their students learn and prepare them for the real world. They have a variety of internships and networks to connect the students with the right career path or job.

Ryan

A personal education experience with a worldwide feel.

A personal education experience with a worldwide feel.

I have learned a lot in my college career so far and there is a lot of advice I wish I could go back and tell my high school senior self. One thing sticks out in my mind however over all, to embrace the struggles and changes that are bound to happen. I currently am in attendance at my fourth college since high school and am studying my now third different major. Although this was not the plan right out of high school I would not go back and change a single thing. It is likely that my undergraduate degree may take longer than the average person but the life lessons and the things I have learned about myself far outweigh what could be learned in the classroom. I embrace the fact that I was wise enough to realize when situations were not what I wanted and I was not afraid to stop myself and start from scratch. There are peers my age that are graduating college right now with a degree in something they may not thoroughly enjoy; I however have found my passion and truly love the path ahead of me. Embrace the Change.

Oladimeji

i will advise myself to prepare financially for college. i would advise myself to take up more jobs and make more money because college is very expensive.

i brag about my school's competitiveness and good record to my friends

Daniel

My school was rather eccentric, but fun.

My school was rather eccentric, but fun.

If I could go back in time, I would have taken my academics more seriously. Being a first generation college student, I wasn't really prepared for the challenges that college presented.

I wish I had known that the campus was dry on weekends.

Andrea

The school is best known for the dedication each professor has in getting their students to go above and beyond in their studies, hence why UMBC is known as the "Honors University" of Maryland.

If you are invested in putting your all into doing your work and conducting research, this is the place for you.

Ok, so you have been told a lot of things about the college experience and what is expected of you but, there is so much they did not tell you about college. They are right now telling you about how you should go to the best school in Maryland because a Hispanic student will look better attending one than a regular public university or a private institution; well I am here to tell you that they are wrong. It does not matter what university you attend or even what you decide to major in because it is not all about what they want, it is all about how you piece together your future and how you make of your time. Just because they say that Hispanics will make better money as doctors or lawyers, do not let that keep you from your dream of becoming who you want to be, an educator. Only you can decide if their vision of you is worth wasting in college instead of following your path in life.

Mary

It offered both math education and art education, which many schools do not offer. The campus isn't overly crowded with buildings and trees. It's a good-sized campus: not too large and not too small.

I would tell myself the same words my mom told me halfway through my college freshman year: Don't dwell. As a high school senior and a college freshman, I suffered severely from anxiety. A lot the anxiety stemmed from my mind not being able to let go of small, insignificant events. Telling myself to not dwell on the things that I can't change, to let the insignificant events go and instead work on coping with the events, would have saved me from feeling trapped inside my head. I would also tell myself that I'm not alone, that I'm not the only person dealing with anxiety. Just knowing that there are others out there dealing with the same issues I was dealing with would have helped me to not feel so isolated from my friends and those around me.

I brag about my ability to be both an art major and a math major, which are both subjects I enjoyed throughout high school. I also brag about my 4.0 GPA in my math degree, as math is one of the hardest degrees at my school.

Jasmin

I am a transfer student and have not yet attended this school.

Jasmin, By now, you've grown accustom to your isolation. Things have been rough for you, indeed. Don't allow that to hinder you. Don't be afraid of your past. Don't be afraid to open up to others. Be loyal to the good people you meet because the friends you make here could be the friends you have for the rest of your life. Often the responsibility you have makes you feel older than you actually are. Remember that you are young. Don't allow yourself to settle in one way of living. I know how badly you crave love but romance will blind you from the opportunities that lie in front of you. You are an ever-changing being and you should put yourself, your growth, your development and your goals first. Love will come after you love yourself. All of the choices you will soon make will have long-term effects. Each action is engraved inside of you and affects you in subtle ways that you may not even notice. Keep in mind what you want for yourself and the person you want to be. Be conscious, be selective and most importantly be yourself.

Austin

The school is small, so getting around is easy. Class sizes are generally small unless you're taking biology or chem 101, which means you have plenty of opportunity to approach your professors, which I highly recommend. The faculty is always willing to help you (regardless of department) if you show some initiative. Also, Baltimore is a pretty cool town when you get to know it. The campus is usually safe, and you can always find something to do in town. If nothing else, get to know your professors because they care about your progress.

College is an incredible place. It's an entire institution built to give you the tools and time to make you the best version of yourself. You won't find that once you graduate. You have vast potential and raw ability that you need to harness and hone. You'll have access to the most accomplished minds you'll ever meet, and their sole purpose is to pass on knowledge and experience to you. Be smart enough to take them up on the offer. Life after college is full of responsibilties and distraction. Work will consume your time like you never thought anything could, and then you'll start a family and forget what sleep is (and to think you'll have trouble making your morning classes). You'll have bills to pay, rent to make, and children to feed. When you get to where I am, you'll want to look back and know you made the best of every opportunity. Over the next four years, focus on making yourself the best you can possibly be. There won't be a better time.

If you are looking for a big school, a school with a lot of on-campus activity, big sports teams, and great on-campus life, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. UMBC is mostly a commuter school, so campus is dead on the weekends. Although the school is D I, and the lacrosse and basketball teams are pretty good, there's not an overwhelming sense of school spirit like you'd see with a big University. Student groups are small and generally new, but there's a lot of opportunity to start your own.

My school is very focused on academics, so much so that we don't have a football team, Greek life exists but is on the back burner and on Friday and Saturday nights the library is packed. Others schools I looked at were much larger, farther away from where I grew up and didn't have as strong of an academic influence. Since my school is closer to home compared to other schools, it feels like the best transition from being a teenager to entering the adult world. I have independence and individuality while maintaining familiarity.

If I could speak with my high school self, I would advise her to take studying seriously. College is very different compared to what you're used to in high school. You need to find that motivation within yourself to get your work done and learn the material you need to know. Keep focused on your goals and try not to get distracted. Organization is going to be key because no one is going to put everything together nice and neat for you so make sure you're on top of everything, including assignments, exam dates, reading schedules, and anything else you need to be planning for or working on. Develop a clear plan as soon as possible for what classes you're taking during which semester so that you don't end up spending six years as an undergraduate. It may seem sometimes as though you aren't as smart as other people in your major but don't let that mindset overtake you. Realize that if you aren't finding the motivation in one major, there is a reason and maybe your heart is trying to guide you in a different direction. Listen to it.

Before I came to college, I wish I had known how much my life goals would change. I started as a biology major wanting to be a veterinarian but will be graduating with a degree in psychology, certification in elementary education and the hope of studying school counseling in graduate school. I also wish I had known how much effort I needed to put into studying and how much more organized I needed to be. Over the past few years I have developed strategies conducive to learning that would have been very helpful in the beginning.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.