Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Bilal

The only thing nice about it is the fact u can do research

The only thing nice about it is the fact u can do research

"You can only do it once. Do it right." Those are the words I would say as I looked at my 18-year old self. My hands would have a suffocating grip around his collar, my eyes would pierce into his soul. Until he acknowledged the truth of my words. Before I started high school, I had a list of dreams and goals that I planned to accomplish. However, throughout high school, I became discouraged and gave up. Time flew by as I went through the motions of life, having lost my desire to become something much more. And I only recovered recently. At the age of 21, I have finally snapped out of this funk. I wish to become something much more than who I am now. I say this to my 18-year old self and anyone else at my age.: Never settle. You will look back and regret it. Never sit there and think something is impossible. Try your best to accomplish all your dreams. Where there is a will there's a way. You only go to college once. So do it right.

It only emphasises education. Haven't grown as a person at all.

Brian

Brian, Don't bleach your hair this summer, you'll look ridiculous. Take your Dad with you to buy your first car, the car you are buying by yourself will fall apart and he knows more than you. Trust me. Chase your dream of going to film school now, but if you don't, just know you will still be there at some point. Worry less about what people think about you, they don't have the time to think about you, they're too busy worrying about what people think about them. Save! School is expensive and life is expensive. Save for a rainy day because believe me it rains a lot. Stay lean and mean, you're going to move a lot and its not fun lugging a ton of random things from place to place. I'm going to assume you didn't take any of my advice though because I have the same memories I always had. Just know you will succeed, every heartache or catastrophe will pass and everything will end up as it should. Oh and apprently the Princess Dy Beanie Baby will be worth a fortune. Grab one.

Leah

Having been through one semester of college so far, I have learned a lot since I first started. If I could go back and tell my senior self anything about college, it would be to take all the opportunity you can to learn about the opportunities you have as a first semester student. Scholarships, as well, are very important. I would tell myself to get on my computer and apply for as many scholarships as I can instead of online shopping or visiting social media sites. I took college seriously in my senior year of high school, but I would go back and tell myself to take it one or two steps further, to make sure I was as efficient as possible in applying for colleges.

UMBC has a fantastic staff. Everyone you see, whether it be a professor, counselor, or food service worker, is friendly and welcoming. The professors strive to do as much as they can to see you succeed and they make the course about you and how you can successfully pass. They are a fantastic group of people to work with.

Someone who wants to party like crazy every night or most week nights/weekends and someone who does not have a lot of motivation to be successful should not attend UMBC. Granted, college students do like to party, it is inevitable. UMBc, however, is not the type of school to go to if you want to party. You go to UMBC to be successful and become the best person you can be.

Prachi

It is impossible to describe my classmates in one sentence, because all of them are so different, but the one thing that is true of all of them is that UMBC has a place, a niche, for all of them.

I would tell myself that stressing out about college, about all the possible things that could go wrong is one of the worst things to do. Instead, taking everything day by day is the best way to go. Each day, rather than focusing on the things that could go wrong, focus on the things that you need to do to make the day the best possible in whatever way. For example, having the best day possible could be doing something productive, like working and learning, or helping others. If you focus on doing things, rather than just thinking about things, then everything that you want, such as friends, good grades, et cetera, will follow.

I wish that I had realized just how much freedom you have in college. From classes to extracurriculars to even dining choices, there are so many choices that being unprepared for them is overwhelming.

Evaikhomo

Looking back now, if I could go back to high school there are a number of things that I would have changed. In High School, I was not so bad, but I would have challenged myself more. I was always ok content with being mediocre in the sense that I could have taken some AP classes or IB classes, I could have been more involved in the activities that were going on in school, I could have been an active member of a sport team instead of settling in managing them. In High school, I could have strived to make more friends instead of being anti-social and living in my own world with about two friends. If everything had been a little different then, maybe I would not be an awkward college student and settling for Health Administration instead of the Medical Doctor I wanted to be when I was younger.

Stephany

The best advice I would give myself would be to be on the computer applying for FASFA as soon as the clock is counting down for the new year, as soon as the calendar says January 1st hit the submit button. I would also tell myself to never procrastinate. Never leave certain things to the last minute because it only becomes stressful in the end. I would also tell myslef to check and know your deadlines because they are very important for applying for certain things. College is very expensive, and no one should have doubt about going to college due to money situations, apply for all the scholarships that you can because it is very helpful.

Joy

You cannot come to UMBC and not work hard, you are setting yourself up for failure. is a really hard school.

the social life is really not good, alot of people that attend umbc are commuters. and most parties happen outside of school.

Struggling with applied calculus when I first came to Umbc, made me wish I took AP calculus in high school. My first time in a college calculus class was very weird. Because I could not make sense of what my professor was saying. All she said was “cos sin” “beta” “alpha” “derivatives” and the worst part was we could not use calculators. The bad part or you might say good part about high school is you get to use scientific calculator in finding stuff like derivative or finding the cos sin of something, but it was very frustrating that I could not use any calculators, so calculus 1 for me was a struggle but my professor was very helpful and since I worked hard, and i got a B for that class. Another thing I wish I did in high school was, playing sports from the 10th up to 12th grade so I can be very good at it and plays for Umbc. Athletes at Umbc are spoiled, they get free food, find jobs easily, get scholarship and go on road trips, and they even get extra time to get their homework done. They have more fun, they are respected.

Umu

Going back into time talking to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give to myself is talk with other high school teachers and counselors for extra advice, apply early, look for the best, but least expensive school, and apply for many scholarships. I would also consider going to a local 2 year community college after high school. Starting off at a 2 year community college can save a lot of money, avoid college debt, and allow other opportunities to build your academic portfolio. I would also suggest getting involved early on in activities, meeting professors one on one outside of class, and explore many of the opportunities given as a college or freshman student. It is important to stay focused, if you don't understand something ask the professor for extra help; seek tutoring or other online useful resources to help in understanding any specific subject planning a weekly schedule and goals will help motivate you in disciplining yourself to become a great student and multitasking abilities. For instance, one should set a schedule for study time, extracurricular actives, or a part-time job etc. Overall, these suggestions can help in making a productive college transition.

I wished I would have known more about the Honors Program because it is such a great opportunity. I also wished I would have known about more scholarships open to new transfer students.

I really enjoy attending the University of Maryland Baltimore County. As a first year transfer student, I had a great experience ad can't state anything as the worst of my school. Although no school is perfect, I have yet to have the best experience. The faculty really cares about helping their students learn and prepare them for the real world. They have a variety of internships and networks to connect the students with the right career path or job.

Ryan

A personal education experience with a worldwide feel.

A personal education experience with a worldwide feel.

I have learned a lot in my college career so far and there is a lot of advice I wish I could go back and tell my high school senior self. One thing sticks out in my mind however over all, to embrace the struggles and changes that are bound to happen. I currently am in attendance at my fourth college since high school and am studying my now third different major. Although this was not the plan right out of high school I would not go back and change a single thing. It is likely that my undergraduate degree may take longer than the average person but the life lessons and the things I have learned about myself far outweigh what could be learned in the classroom. I embrace the fact that I was wise enough to realize when situations were not what I wanted and I was not afraid to stop myself and start from scratch. There are peers my age that are graduating college right now with a degree in something they may not thoroughly enjoy; I however have found my passion and truly love the path ahead of me. Embrace the Change.

Oladimeji

i will advise myself to prepare financially for college. i would advise myself to take up more jobs and make more money because college is very expensive.

i brag about my school's competitiveness and good record to my friends

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.