University of Maryland-Baltimore County Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Kyler

The school is really good! I feel like I've learned a lot, and I feel as if there are many opportunities to engage with other students and other interests unrelated to our majors. The food at the dining hall is okay, so I usually go to the Commons or the University Center to eat. Most of the res halls are good, but Susquehanna could use some work. So could some wings of Patapsco.

Simran

I think when I first decided to go to University of Maryland-Baltimore County I had very high expectations as one does when they start a new school but I was quite disappointed because it didn't seem to be worth the money that I was paying for. Not only was there no college atmosphere but the classes were too rigorous for UMBC being an okay school.

Monica

I am currently a Sophomore at UMBC. I have learned to love the quirkiness of my school. If I had to give my university an overall rating, it would be a 7. First semester of my freshman year, I absolutely dreaded it. I quickly found out it is normal to not like your school at first. The only thing that might bother me now that I think about it is the food and the weekend life. The school is largely compiled of commuters, so on the weekends a social scene is nowhere to be found. The library is what seems to have the most human presence on the weekends. The academics are great, I have had only one professor I didn't like. The first year of classes I took I find equally challenging and delightful. There was never an abundance of work, only my own poor time management and procrastination. Socially I feel like most students keep to themselves, but there are people who are open and nice. It just takes time to meet them, and really find one's niche and sense of belonging. UMBC really is a school with driven students wanting to make the most out of their higher education.

I love this school. It's definitely nerdy, but in a good way. Academics are important, but not to the point of competitiveness. There's a huge support culture, and if you need help in a class or anything, people will not hesitate to lend a hand. The class sizes are not too big, and it is possible for every single professor you have to know who you are. (Attending regular office hours is important). Overall, I love the vibe here. It's peaceful, but we get lit when the moment arises.

Juliana

UMBC is a university diverse in its student body, academic opportunities, and social experiences. Students are continually challenged to be their best selves whether in the classroom or out creating memories on campus. I grew so much as a person at UMBC and my leaderships skills were greatly shaped by the supportive and innovative community. I would recommend UMBC to anyone who is looking for a home away from home that is structured to help all students achieve their goals, even ones they haven't realized yet.

Sudeep

In general, University of Maryland - Baltimore County is an amazing school, filled with school spirit and scholarly people. I would highly recommend this school to people who are focused on learning in a small setting. Although I am just a freshmen, I have already started loving the campus and the people there.

Tianna

I am a transfer student and now a senior. My overall opinion of UMBC is good. It's really easy to get involved in student organizations. There are over 270 student organizations on campus. The people are really nice. The professors that I take are helpful and understand if you let them know before that something's going on. Only the thing I would improve the vegan and vegetarian food options. Also have more food options opened on the weekend besides the dining hall.

Nailah

This school feels like home when I step foot on the campus. The environment is warm and inviting, and there is a place for everyone somewhere. We are a heavy STEM school, but just built a brand new Performing Arts and Humanities building so we are supportive of all majors. Many of the housing has just been rebuilt so the dorms and apartments are pretty nice.

Darin

UMBC is an amazing school. It is truly a welcoming community with many individuals that are always very exited and happy to be there. It is very diverse so there is a chance to experience a lot of different foods and people from different backgrounds. My interest in other cultures has increased drastically since being at UMBC. The school is brilliant when it comes to academics. The professors are extremely enthusiastic about teaching and are very good at it. The academic environment is challenging and does really good with preparing its students for the professional world. Outside of classes, UMBC does many awesome events that bring together the community. They continue to create different events that keep the students engaged and enjoying the school. UMBC is also an aesthetically pleasing area to be in. The gardening is a sight in itself as well as a beautiful pond. There are many areas that students can get together to study or just hangout. I love the school and I would not change the decision I made if I had to do it again.

Amal

It is a good school, especially for science majors.

Nia'mani

The University of Maryland-Baltimore County is a wonderful institution which allows students to learn and socialize in what we like to call a brave space. Classes are generally rigorous and professors tend to prepare students for exams and higher level classes. Extracurricular activities such as clubs on campus are active and a great opportunity to meet people and learn outside of the classroom.

A

I personally love this university. I am not the type to party, and I wanted to go to school for the academics primarily. UMBC definitely has challenging (in a good way!) academics. I feel that, when I get my degree, I will have truly earned it. As far as my social experience on campus, it is definitely dependent on the amount of effort you have put into socializing. I know people who feel like they know everyone on campus, and I have friends who think that the school is totally dead. I have found myself in the middle of that, sort of accidentally. I am an introvert, but I joined several clubs "just because" and have found myself really enjoying it. Overall, I think this is a fantastic school, but it is not for everyone. Come here if you want superior academics and do not mind putting a little effort into making friends!

Micah

I love UMBC! It has a very friendly environment and is extremely diverse as well. The environment on campus is very open. There are a lot of things you can become apart of and every semester we have something called involvement fest. Involvement fest is where most, if not all, the groups and clubs on campus have a table set up in order to advertise to new students. If you think it is boring on campus then you probably haven't branched out to see if you would like to be in a club or group. There is a something at UMBC for everyone, if not most students.

Jelyn Rio

I believe that UMBC is great at education. I can really feel myself learning at this college. The community is quite small, so campus has a nice "homey" feel to it. I enjoy going to this school, and if I were in senior year of high school, I would still pick UMBC.

Hetvi

3/5 - great academics (STEM programs), but socially dry and boring. There's parties usually happening on the weekends and off-campus. But there's nothing happening on campus on weekends, so everyone goes home. Campus is deserted in early mornings and after 7-ish because there's nothing happening.

Joey

Aside from parking and construction issues, I really love it here. It’s easy to find a group of people to hang out with and the campus is easy to walk around. I felt comfortable there within a week of classes starting. You can find many student clubs and organizations and the food is great because there’s a ChickFilA and Starbucks I’m campus.

Mary

UMBC is very academically driven. Classes are rigorous but the teachers are usually available. Dorms are comfortable and there aren't community showers The campus is very small though so don't be surprised to see the same faces everyday. There isn't really any serious sporting events.

Ryan

UMBC is a great to school to attend. Many of the professors are readily available and most are open to making time to see their students. There is always a club or activity to partake in and the students are welcoming for the most part. The campus is slightly separated from outside activities and the campus transportation is good, but not great. Overall, UMBC is a wonderful university with many programs for different majors that engages its students and I am happy to attend.

Abe

UMBC is considered to be a commuter school, which means that most undergraduate students prefer to commute, rather than live on campus. As a student that lives on campus, it can get lonely on weekends, when it feels like 90% of the school is at home. We are a serious academic school, especially if you pursue a degree in a STEM field. We are a D1 school, but there is never a huge presence for sporting events.

Erin

I have been a student at UMBC since 2014/2015. I transferred from a community college, and my transition was made very easy and manageable thanks to the amazing student services offered by UMBC. The classes are always interesting, and the professors are more than willing to divert from the day's lesson to listen to what the students have to say regarding a variety of topics. There is always a friendly atmosphere on campus, I have never felt unsafe attending any of my classes. The professors are always willing to meet with you or answer any questions you might have. I have sent emails at ungodly hours of the night to receive immediate responses from my professors. I have always felt welcomed by my professors and classmates. The campus is always active. There is definitely not a lack of activities to do and events to attend. All of the administration and student service members go above and beyond in order to help you, no matter how difficult your problem or question may be. I love attending UMBC.

A nice school. The teachers thus far have been good and they were there to help when I needed it. I've also found all classes thus far to be helpful. The food is also good, and you can get it from several places on campus. There's also an on campus book store that tends to sell text books and other materials you may need, so life there is overall convenient. The only problem is that sometimes people are loud at night and keep me from sleeping. There are these "quiet hours", but they're not always enforced.

Oluwateniayo

My university is a great place to be. I am able to receive help in academics and take advantage of the many research opportunities. I am also able to interact and grow along with students who share my culture and my Christian beliefs. I would definitely recommend this place as you are able to get a stellar education but also grow socially.

I think that the campus is beautiful, accessible and welcoming. However, there is no campus life and the professors make the STEM introductory level classes ridiculously difficult in order to weed out scholarships. This is a school of academically talented people and in my general chemistry courses there was 1/8 passing averages on exams. That's absurd. Oh and the food sucks.

Kevin

The University of Maryland-Baltimore County is the house of grit. Grit is the one thing that everyone apart of the diverse student population has in common. This spirit is quite contagious, infecting everyone with more courage and tenacity to face their problems. UMBC is definitely not a perfect school, but it is clear that there is a ceaseless drive to improve. Everyone, from the students to the president and professors, is passionate about our school and making our community a better place. I wholeheartedly recommend UMBC because everyone coming to UMBC leaves a better person.

Madeleine

This school is absolutely fantastic. To say I’m lucky to attend UMBC is an understatement. Everyone around is incredible- my professors are kind, and easily accessible, and the friends I’ve made will last me a lifetime. To think I get to represent UMBC at the Division I athletic level has been an amazing experience. I will forever love this school, and have retriever spirit- go Dawgs!

Young

UMBC is a college that shines through it's students and staff. Despite the lack of parking and the stories regarding it's dorm food, it's really the people that act as the driving force behind UMBC's reputation. The amount of time and dedication displayed by many is rather inspiring. People are always willing to help each other, hang out, discuss personal problems, and much more. While much of the Faculty are certainly helpful, there are those who go well beyond the call of duty. An example is my IS Advisor, Stacy Branham. Not only is she kind but she also rather helpful and always has advice for us IS students. There is much more I would say but this is my overall opinion on UMBC.

Jacob

As a transfer student from a university in Boston, I had the opportunity to look at the university from a more experienced lens, relative the the wide-eyed freshman. UMBC has never been an institution known for its raucous social life; students come here to learn and create. That being said, this campus has by far the friendliest and ethnically diverse population I've ever seen. From the ever seemingly omnipresent rock-star President Hrabowski, to the professors, to the cafeteria staff, everyone is genuinely friendly and open. Academically, this university is a hidden gem as it has a rigorous STEM focus and regularly sponsors student-led research. And even though the campus is honestly a ghost town on the weekends, our proximity to Baltimore makes weekend fun quite accessible. Students who are self driven, quirky, intellectually curious, and want all of the resources of a large university without all the noise should consider applying here. This is a unique environment where you have every tool at your disposal take your ideas and ideals and help make them a reality.

Keisy

Overall, I really like the University because they are always active. They always keep students involve as much as they can. Students are always aware of what is happening around them. The professors are always available and everyone there is really friendly.

Cynthia

UMBC can take a student from any socioeconomic background, give them a quality education, and help them achieve their dreams. It is a great school for academics and you will leaving felling like you are more than prepared for your next step, whether that be a job or more school.

Nandini

UMBC is a great place to learn and pursue an education. I plan to attend UMBC because it's a really convenient pace to go to! There are very friendly people there too! The location is very near home too!

Harshita

University of Maryland-Baltimore County is a great school that trains and prepares you for your future career. The teachers are really kind and care about you, many times teachers will go out of their way to help students understand a topic or prepare for an exam which really makes a difference on test day, because you feel more prepared and do better too. Overall good choice!

Lorin

UMBC is a community, not just a school. The atmosphere is welcoming to all walks of life. While the food isn't the finest, Papa John's accepts your student ID cash as payment and Grubhub delivers to your dorm, the library, or anywhere else you might need. The school seems dead on the weekends due to the amount of commuters, but really you just need to know people for parties. Also, there are tons of activities through the student events board and other organizations throughout the week and weekend if you aren't a party person. UMBC is all about academics though. They really want students to fully understand their work. Tutoring, review sessions, office hours for professors and teaching assistants are very easily accessible. Even though the coursework can be challenging, the satisfaction knowing you truly earned the grade makes it worthwhile. UMBC is not just a nerd school, the sports teams always provide for a thrilling time. Though there is a lack of a football team, this is only because the President puts value first. The cost of a football team would limit who could attend UMBC and the President cares about opportunities for current and future students. Overall, UMBC is a wonderful school and you'd be making a great choice to join the #RetrieverNation.

Alison

I have enjoyed taking classes at UMBC. The professors and staff are helpful and always available to answer my many questions. The courses I've taken are intriguing and the professors generally have open office hours. The campus is open to allow me to participate in research projects and welcoming to me as a non-traditional student.

Mekayla

Overall, UMBC is a great institution but obviously has its pitfalls. For many professors, it is clear that they are passionate about their subject, but some may place more focus on that passion than the organization of the of the course. Communication between departments to handle problems such as transferring credits is extremely poor and almost nonexistent.

Jamie

For my major, biochemistry/biology, this school has a great educational system. However, I know many comp sci and business majors have a tough time here due to lack of attention and funding towards majors that are not stem. The campus and student life is also very sad. There's never anything to do besides studying. And don't get me wrong, I value education immensely but as a person, I'm sure no one wants to just study 24/7 and there's seriously just not much else to do here to help you relax or unwind. There's no fun extracurricular activities and the campus is closed off from everything else so you can't just leave campus to get food or anything unless you have a car. As much as I like my classes and professors, it really feels like a prison here. (I'm transferring to UMD in the fall)

Max

Good school so far. Current president is a bit of a star gazer politician. Invokes every buzzword and turns it into a thing. Gets awards for innovations. Students disagree. But hey I guess his peer reviews pay his salary. Chemistry school is all messed up. Would avoid this school if that’s your major (or premed or biology). They’re “teaching” flipped classroom. Which means to them- load you up on graded homework and quizzes, then go to lecture and do the same. No instruction whatsoever in class. They call it “weeding out”.. aka sending people off to blue collar jobs and different majors. Why pay a school to teach yourself?!? Seems assinine. Huge fail rate. Lots of drop outs. Then they must break with policy to curve the class like crazy to get a 60% pass rate (on a 100 level chem). Other departments don’t have this problem YET. But if the school head has his way we’ll all be teaching ourselves at the metacogmition center from ipads. The campus is nice. Parking is a bit distant. It’s a ring around the school. A lot of the on campus students cheat the syatem and fake parking passes to avoid paying for resident parking, but that’s being fixed. Most of the faculty seems young. Energetic yes, experience no. It’s a tradeoff. It’s a good school for Maryland and the price is right.

Anthony

I think that UMBC is a great school; nothing too crazy really happens here. Everyone tends to keep to themselves, but there are definitely a lot of friendly people around. Everyone has a lot of school spirit; however, there is no huge "sports culture" among the student body.

Linda

My overall opinion of University of Maryland Baltimore County is that it has been a pleasant experience. People are friendly and it is easy to make friends because of the amount of students in each class. The campus is inviting through the different events that are hosted. Although this school is known to be more of a commuter school, I spend most of my days here.

Laura

UMBC is a comfortable, well-located school with great access to internships and research opportunities. While researching colleges my senior year of high school, many of my peers would regard UMBC as a "nerd school", which may seem like a disparaging comment, but to me, that comment alone was the selling pitch for the black and gold school. Undergraduate teaching is second to none in Maryland. Outside of UMBC, you can find alumni all over the globe in great job positions, and they'll be more than happy to help a fellow Retriever out.

Levi

UMBC is a very academic-heavy school, and is a fantastic choice for anyone interested in STEM fields. Although the school is fairly small and is comprised of mostly commuters, there are plenty of Greek Life, service, and vocational groups and clubs to get involved with. The school has a great athletic center, even though athletics aren't emphasized much. Most of the professors are phenomenal, well-accredited, and genuinely want their students to learn and succeed.

Anthony

I like it there. It's not huge. It's a diverse campus. They offer many services and provide plenty of emails to let me know about what there is to offer. I can easily connect to students and teachers through email on blackboard. I am a commuter and they offer services to connect other commuters with me.

great!

Niang

I think UMBC is a great school to attend because we are strong academically and are culturally diverse. There are many extracurricular activities, clubs, and programs to join that can get you more involved with the school. One downside I have to mention is the lack of parking and how the new event center takes away so much parking, especially from the commuters.

Tanishka

It is a college that is both quiet and loud. Every year we grow to be better and more known by the people around us. Although the dining facilities could use some work, there are buses that lead out from campus down to Baltimore, where the options are endless. The bus service is free for students, and is a wonderful place to enjoy or to relieve stress. By saying this college is quiet and loud it can be explained that we are very academically strong, which does not lead to much activity, but when the time comes to support out college we go all out to do so. For upcoming students, the University of Maryland- Baltimore County is a great school when it comes to academics and creativity, but does lack in social activity.

Samuel

Great academic opportunities and new facilities within the field of cyber security. The school encourages students to grow and learn by setting high standards but providing all the resources and support needed to achieve this goal. There is also a sense of cohesiveness among students and faculty.

Bahati

I feel as though UMBC is an exceptional school, with a great variety of academic programs, especially for STEM fields. The rigor and expectations at UMBC are certainly high, but not unattainable. It is indeed true that a lot of dedication, focus, and willingness to overcome challenges will be needed to succeed at UMBC. But students are never alone. Professors are always working to ensure that they can be of as much help to students as they possibly can be. There are also many study groups and resources made available by the faculty to help students excel academically. Although UMBC is known as a “nerdy school,” there are plenty of ways to have fun on campus. Aside from the numerous extracurricular clubs and phenomenal athletic teams, (not to mention our big win in this year’s March Madness tournament when we defeated a No.1 seed basketball team), student organizations are always planning social events where students can get an opportunity to mingle and enjoy themselves. I appreciate how focused the students at UMBC are, and everyone’s willingness to help each other better understand material. We prioritize school, and want to see our peers succeed as much as we want ourselves to. For anyone interested in pursuing a career in STEM, I would absolutely recommend attending UMBC.

Michelle

It's a good, challenging school academically. It's a medium sized school so class sizes vary. There are a lot of good attributes to UMBC, it's academically demanding and therefore you know you are getting a good education - if you put in the work. The social scene is not huge, many students go home or out on the weekends and there isn't too much extra to do. Overall, it's a good school for your education, but maybe not your social life.

Arvind

It seems life a very diverse and lively place. The psychology professor who gave a very touching speech was great and down to earth. Everyone seemed friendly there and the campus is a good size and beautiful. The only thing that I don not like about this school is that they no longer have Tennis available, it is a shame.

Mayra

UMBC is a great school. Honestly, I am so glad I chose to come here. It is easy to become involved in different organizations, clubs, and other activities. You meet new people and form close bonds in your first year of attending. I also believe the professors are great and it is a rigorous school but hard work, dedication, campus resources, and professors help you get through it. College is what you make of it. It's your decision whether you want to get involved or close yourself off. I think that determines whether you will enjoy your experience or not.

Briscoe

I love my school very much. At UMBC, I feel extremely supported, almost as if my professors, mentors, and friends are a part of my family. Additionally, I cannot tell you how many times I have left a meeting or event feeling empowered and ready to talk about it with my friends. UMBC really prepares students to be conscious, innovative, and kind contributors to society.