Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Grace

My overall opinion of this school is only full of positive regards except when it comes to communication. UMBC is a very student-run based school and whenever you call say the financial aid desk or residential life desk for example, after either being placed on hold for several minutes or told that all operators are busy, you'll be placed in contact with a student who will attempt to answer your question or concern with the basic information she was required to know but in the end, your problem won't be solved or you'll be told to call a different department. I wouldn't even try emailing staff though(even the head of the departments) because I guarantee you won't get an answer. Your best bet would be to come to the school directly and talk to an actual person, face-to face, that way they can't hang up on you or ignore your emails. Other than that, the school is wonderful. It's not a huge campus like it's neighboring college, University of Maryland College park, and you can usually walk to your classes in under 15 minutes (and even that time is a stretch). UMBC may not have a football team but the school events (especially the soccer and basketball games) are always quite entertaining and there really is a lot of school spirit. My only suggestion is to not go outside of campus at night (or atleast going to the actual city). One time I remember driving home from the animal shelter near by which was only at the edge of Baltimore City and i counted at least 3 clusters of homeless families while driving back to school (which is only 10 minutes away). Typically though, there's never a need to go off campus (unless it's a late night trip to McDonalds) because they always have some type of activity going on on the weekends when everyone goes home. What I personally liked the best was the "weekly movies" because they showed a film that had just been released from theaters but hasn't come out on DVD yet.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at UMBC are actually pretty nice in my opinion (at least compared to Salisbury). I live in Patapsco, which has just recently over the summer been refurbished. There are two sides to this dorm; the new side and the old side and both types of rooms have their advantages and disadvantages. I live on the new side, or west wing, and the room is shaped like a square. When you walk in, there is a little hallway that has a sink and an area for a fridge and is suite style (all the dorms at UMBC are) which connects to a conjoining room. The room itself is kind of small but the bathrooms connecting the rooms are huge! The only downfall is that there are no fans in the bathroom for ventilation and the walls are so thin because they're not made of brick that you can hear people in the opposite room if they're talking above "indoor voice" level. On the old side of Patapsco however, the rooms are larger and are shaped in a rectangle but the bathrooms are very tiny. There is very little room to walk, even stand but the good thing is you can be playing a guitar hooked up to a base in one room and just barely hear it in the hallway. As for the other dorms, the only other one I have been in is Erickson which is set up with two rooms connecting as one "suite" by a living room and and a bathroom. Erickson is considered on of the nicer dorms on campus. As for the others, there's about 4 other dorms and on-campus apartments people can live in (although the apartments are for upper-classmen only).

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I actually transferred to UMBC as a sophomore from Salisbury University and honestly, it was probably the best decision that I ever made. While doing college applications in my senior year, I actually didn't apply to UMBC because I came to the university for cheer camp one year and was displeased with its size and the dorms. However, after attending Salisbury University for one year, I was very mistaken. At first, I thought UMBC was too big but after walking around a campus that was boxed in by trees and took my literally 3 minutes to get to each class, I was extremely happy when I came to UMBC. It's not that big but it's big enough that you could take a walk around it and be occupied for at least an hour. Also, I wanted a school that was more academically rigorous and UMBC fit under the category I was looking for. It's overall a really nice school and it's close to home which is very easy to commute to. The students here (well most of them) really do want to excel in school and that's just the type of people you want to be surrounded by.

If you asked me what the most popular student groups were here, I honestly couldn't tell you. I know we have a good soccer team which many students support so I suppose I would have to choose that as our most active group. However, I do see many guys and girls walking around with UMBC apparel on supporting our basketball, lacrosse, and swim/dive teams but I have yet to hear much about them. I do see though there are a lot of organizations that do have stands in the breezeway (a walkway by academic row) selling baked goods and raising money for whatever their club supports. Then, depending on which floor of the dorms you live on (whether its the designated quite floor or not), you'll see many people's doors fly open with people going in and out of them all the time. Even at 3 in the morning, the dorms are still lively and you're sure to pass by someone while walking in the hallways. It's also pretty customary for your friends to just let themselves into your room if its unlocked (but only if both the roommates agree because some roommates don't appreciate their bunk mates friends barging into the room unexpectedly). On the weekends here, even though UMBC isn't classified as a "party hardy school," if someone really wanted to go out, they could find a party to go to. There aren't that many off campus so most people have "dorm parties" and invite a bunch of friends over to do many "college associated activities." There is also a club near by called FIsh Bowl that many students go to during the weekends. However, many students go home on the weekend so the remainder that are here either party, or hang out in their room and watch T.V. or do homework. That's honestly pretty much all there is to do.

The student population here is actually very diverse and you'll find people from every type of "neighborhood." There is in fact a large religious population because at UMBC, they have varying clubs for those who are Jewish, Christian, African, and many others that have many active members. There is however a large population of Asian Americans (including Indian) if you're walking around campus but many of them aren't the stereotypical "geeky" ones; you'll find many Asians who try to be hipsters, preppy, or "gangster" if you want to call it that. It's kind of hard to feel out of place at UMBC unless you lock yourself up in your room and refuse to socialize because there's always a group you could fit into. While sitting in class, you'll find students wearing sweat pants and a sweatshirt or people who got dressed up and in girl's cases, "look cute" with ugg's, a ralph lauren polo, and a tiffany's necklace on. Many students here follow whatever is fashionable or the "in thing" at the time but then there are many, as people would say "nerdy" guys and girls who don't care about their wardrobe and wear whatever was at the top of their drawer that day. Also, at UMBC, if you were rich or poor, I couldn't tell. The people I see don't flash their money around unless they were a freshman trying to impress a group of people he/she probably won't talk to at the end of the four years. I have noticed however that there are more people than you would expect who follow politics. You could easily overhear a deliberation between a few people in the dining hall who were arguing about last night democratic debate.

I've noticed that unlike other school, many of the courses here are only 3 credits unless it's a science or math course. But don't let the credits fool you, UMBC has some pretty rigorous courses even at the 100 level. Many of the classes here (at least the ones I've taken) have your grade consist of a few exams and possibly a paper, you're not given any busy work. This may be great for some people or a struggle for others but either way, you'll need to study hard if you want to make it in this university. Many of the professors I've interacted with are nice and usually respond to your emails fairly quickly. If you need help, all you need to do is ask them a question because many of them are eager to answer; they don't want their students to fail because that would look bad on their part. I'm currently a political science major and a psychology and philosophy minor and have taken classes in all three fields. All of the classes are uniquely interesting and won't completely destroy your life with studying and work. The most unique class I've probably taken so far is abnormal psychology (psych285) where my professor (who is a psychiatrist) goes into grave detail about he disagrees with many aspects of psychology and his arguments are actually convincing. He tells many tales about former patients he's had that coincide with the particular disorder we were learning about the stories are so bizarre, it really makes you remember the material. I wouldn't say that students are competitive at all but a lot of them are really focused on their education and want to get the most out of their money.

I must admit, at my college, University of Maryland Baltimore County, we have the stereotype of being a "nerd school" and that the current students fall under that category. They're are two types of "nerdy" students per se; you'll find the academically focused, "spend everyday in the library" kind of people who strive for above average grades because their parents push their education on them or for personal achievement. Or, (while roaming the campus ) you'll find the "gamers," who lock themselves up in their room and play countless hours of video games. These people tend to be very anti-social and even their own roommate couldn't name their favorite color. This stereotype in a way is both false and true; UMBC is an honors college and even though it may not be too difficult to get into, it's extremely hard to stay. The school has a very popular engineering program for example that requires its students to work hard. The programs ultimate goal is to weed through the slackers and people who have the high school mentality of "i don't have to study to get good grades" in order to find the students who are very committed. And yes, the school has drawn in many so-called "gamers" but if you look around, the campus is full of people who have many other interests such as sports and other varying activities.

Ao

I believe UMBC is is not too large, or too small when it comes to the amount of people who attends the school. It is literally a comfortable size of campus numbers, where it is not too large so you don't feel like you are lost with so many people, and it is not so small that you feel like you literally know everybody and not having much diversity. I have a sense of pride of being a UMBC student since whenever somebody asks me what school I go to and tell them I go to UMBC, majority of people always tell me that "that's a really good school to go to!" However, it seems like there is not a lot of school pride among students, and I wish that would change. Perhaps another downside about UMBC is lack of college town, and the surrounding neighborhood not being so safe.

What are your classes like?

It really depends on the professor and the level of the class as well as the students in it. Some of the 400 level classes for Philosophy Department sometimes are held in the Philosophy Conference Room, where there is literally no more than 7-9 students congregating about Philosophy. I love it!

One of the most popular groups/organizations/club activities at UMBC are joining the sorority or fraternity group. Most students are usually very involved with their group activities with their sisters and brothers after joining them. Students usually never ever leave their doors open in their dorms probably not because it is unsafe to do so, but purely because nobody else does it, and we take other people's privacy and our own privacy very seriously. I love the guest speakers, exhibits, concerts, theatre, shows, dance shows, and all the events that are constantly going on-campus. We have so many different events during the school year that I actually find it utterly impossible to even go to every single on of them! Due to the fact that UMBC is a big commuter school and students live off-campus most of the time, it is not at all a big party school be it during the week, or on weekends. I personally have lived off-campus nearby UMBC and before doing so, I always went back home during the weekends, so I never was really involved with drinking during Saturday nights. For those who do not go back home during the weekends and stays on campus all-year around usually have a part-time job at the nearby grocery stores, Arundel Mills Mall, or dedicate their time doing internships or volunteer work.

I consider UMBC having a rather diverse types of students be it racially, religiously, LGBT related, or socio-economically. I don't think there are any kind of students who would feel out of place at this school, because we are so used to having so many different students from diverse background, where we are generally very accepting of students from another country, from a different state, of course different race, your sexual-orientation (we have a pretty populous LGBTQ community and activities). Most students never ever attend classes in their pajamas, and they are usually in casual clothing. Most of the students attending UMBC are from Maryland; however, we have an English-learning program so we also have a lot of Korean and Middle Eastern students and students from all over the world. In terms of student inteactions, most people are usually clustered together with their friends from the same major programs, club activities, atheletic clubs, honor society activities, if not, their sorority or fraternity sisters and brothers. I wish there is more occasions where students from all majors and all clubs socialized together in some way so the campus body feels more united, and students would make friends outside of their interest and major programs.

I do not recall a single professor who did not know my name, and were not helpful when I had questions about the lecture material, or just plain simply wanting to know about the course content deeper. Although there are some classes that uses lecture halls, those are usually the lower-level undergraduate classes like the PSYC 100 or PHIL 150. The upper-level courses rarely ever uses lecture halls (meaning there isn't more than 100 people in class), and the biggest upper-level class volume I encountered was maybe about 30-40 people. Class participation during the lecture is not mandatory; however, it really depends on the size of the particular class, and most professors do encourage class participation. I do not really consider the students at UMBC being competitive when it comes to academic area of campus life, however, those who do have a GPA above 3.75 or higher usually are inducted to honor societies that are invitation only such as the ones I am part of: Golden Key international Honour Society, Sigma Alpha Lambda, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and so on, where you get certain privilages and helps aid in school financial matters, scholarships, better job placement, and being able to make new friends who are just as equally academically inclined as you are.

Majority of students who goes to UMBC are commuters from all over Maryland, or Pennsylvania, etc. The students who do live on campus usually are also from Maryland, DC, VA area, and they usually go home on the weekends. There are numerous campus events during the weekdays but not a lot of them are on the weekends. Due to the fact that most students are commuters and on-campus residents are not on-site during the weekends, it is best to have a part-time weekend jobs if you do elect to live on campus, or like everybody else, go home on the weekends, if possible. The other students who goes to UMBC are international students, and they either live at Walker Avenue Apartments and are graduate students, or they live off-campus for the most part.

Adam

We don't have a football team!! As surprising as that sounds, I prefer it this way.

When you step off campus what do you see?

UMBC is definitely not within any major city but it is really close (within 10 miles) from Baltimore City. Off campus is Catonsville which is a quaint little town but I don't really know anybody who goes there. We run shuttles to Arundel Mills Mall which will have a casino soon! During the week, we run shuttles to the local amtrak station which connects to DC.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We don't have a football team on campus but our school spirit definitely exists with basketball, soccer, and all of the other sports UMBC offers. Often during a soccer game, you can hear the crowd cheering anywhere on campus. Our teams aren't the best in the league but we definitely show our spirit! We are known for out chess team which has placed first nationally for many years.

This campus is basically located in a circle. We dorms and apartments located on one side of campus while lecture halls, classrooms, and offices are located on the other side. Most of the lecture halls are located on Academic Row, which is a huge paved walkway that most of the foot traffic is found. We are constantly landscaping and building new buildings. Currently, a new Fine Arts and Theater building is being constructed. We have parking around the circle and a few garages. UMBC is a small campus but we are all community!

What are your classes like?

My classes are very interesting but extremely challenging! Because I am Pre-Med, I am taking mostly sciences classes. The intro courses were filled with 300-400 people. As you go further into your major, people might drop out and the class sizes get a lot smaller! Professors have office hours and I highly recommend using that resource!

Because UMBC is known for the sciences, the biggest campus organization in my opinion would be the Pre-Medical Society. I started when I was getting active when I was a freshman and now I am the Vice President of Student Involvement. We have hundreds of members that come to meetings to hear speakers and to plan events. We have many other organizations on campus that show a variety of interests. We have over 200 organizations that include a boating club, many dance clubs, and religious and cultural organizations. We are very open to anybody and everybody. With the amount of diversity on this campus, each organizations allow students to work with one another. A lot of what organizations focus on is community service. Every week, you can see organizations tabling for a cause or promoting a service project for any student to be a part of. I met my closest friends in my dorm and my study groups. You create bonds that go beyond the classroom. I wouldn't say there is a huge dating scene on campus but people are involved with each other. At 2 am I am usually either studying for an exam or hanging with people on my floor. Although the weekends here are pretty empty on campus, UMBC provides a shuttle to Arundel Mills mall where there is a movie theater and restaurants. There are also many ways to get to downtown Baltimore.

The student here are very diverse. We are rated as one of the most diverse schools in the US. This is definitely a positive aspect because meeting people from other countries, from other religions or nationalities expands your knowledge and appreciation for the world and life in general. UMBC is a very open and welcoming community, however, those students who want a school with a football team or who like to party a lot will not feel comfortable here. Students that are similar in ethnicity and religion do tend to sit with one another but UMBC provides many opportunities and events to bring everyone together! With that said, I don't think I could categorize four tables in the dining hall. Students here are very diverse and come from very diverse backgrounds. While some might be wealthier and smarter than others we all fit together. In my opinion, this is a liberal campus.

We are a mid-sized school which means that in the intro science courses have 300 people in them. However, that doesn't mean that teacher-student relationships do not exist! As long as you sit in the front of the class and go to office hours, there won't be any problem forming a relationship. My favorite class, ironically, was Organic Chemistry. Although, this class was definitely challenging, the professor I had definitely made the material easier to understand. I wouldn't say the students are competitive in a mean way. We all want to do well in our classes but we help each other achieve our goals. The classes here are definitely harder than at other schools. From what I have heard, UMBC tries to fit it more material than other schools. UMBC is definitely a science oriented school and the majority of students are biology majors but we do have a lot of english, history, theater, and other arts majors. This past year, the cast from one of the plays one a national competition and got to perform at the Kennedy Center in DC. The President of UMBC was recently on 60 Minutes and he explained that UMBC prepares their students for careers and life. I highly agree with this and have gained so much knowledge and life skills since starting at UMBC.

Students here are definitely more study oriented than other schools and therefore may be called geeks, nerds, or workaholics. UMBC is referred to in this way because we don't have a football team and we are definitely not known as a party school. This definitely is an accurate stereotype even though you can still find a party if you looked for one! Another stereotype is that we are a commuter school. While a majority of the students live on campus, many live within a 50-60 mile radius and therefore decide to commute.

Martina

The only thing you can say about UMBC is that everyone is so diverse. Our main student building "the Commons" has I think over 100 flags from various countries representing all of the places the students are from. There is no way to list every different "variety" of student I can only say that if you think it, we have it. There are student groups representing almost any type of situation you can imagine: religious, political, ethnicity, sports, arts, sciences, and the list goes on. The only trouble you will have fitting in is deciding when to stop joining groups!

If you are looking for a school that offers high quality academics in a great setting than UMBC is the place for you. The work can be hard but there are many resources set in place to help you succeed. All teachers are required to have office hours so that students can know that at a certain time each week they can be found in their office willing to help. How many hours they are available each week is up to the professor but they are usually willing to make an appointment with you if you need more time or are not available during their office hours. Classes usually base part of your grade on participation; this being defined as being present for classes and participating in class discussions if applicable. However there are professors who realize you are adults and whether or not you come to class is your problem. Also, other students are often willing to form study groups. Chances are if you are struggling not only is there someone else that is struggling but there is someone that is willing to help. UMBC also offers tutoring for most lower level classes free of charge. The school really is student centered and a sense of camaraderie is often felt within classes. Once you get to your major courses you will more than likely end up with a group of students that are in a majority of your classes. The largest class I've had was psychology 100 freshman year and there were about 200 students, my smallest would be the 400 level math class I'm currently in and there is about 18 students.

There are two stereotypes primarily inferred about UMBC. The first is that we are a school woh very intelligent students. This stereotype is true. Just looking at the description of the average gpa and SAT score of the students hear you will see that we are the cream of the crop. However, that is not to say that we are all super nerds who don't have fun. The second stereotype is that we are a science school. While it is true that the sciences are very big here and research in those areas are key, the arts and humanities are also very important. There is always live music, concerts, plays, and art shows. As well as discussion in various humanities type topics.

I definitely loved going to UMBC. Classes were difficult at times, but the professors are often available to help a student and there are plenty of Assistant Teachers in our classes as well as tutoring centers for several courses! I was there for four years and had a chance to do EVERYTHING (join a dance team, work as a Resident Assistant, study abroad, make friends, join an amazing sorority...) I wanted to do during my time there as an undergraduate.

Most popular student activities include going to parties, game nights, attending basketball and soccer games, karaoke nights in the Commons and study groups (of course)! :) Among different groups people enjoy going to the theater for a play, watching a dance recital, going to Erickson Field to play flag football or extreme frisbee. There are also numerous numbers of sororities and fraternities that people like to join based on their interests or backgrounds. The two biggest events that everyone looks forward to is Quadmania and Homecoming where everyone's school spirit is shining and there are concerts, free food, and fun!

The students at UMBC are some of the most intelligent, quirky, innovative, fun-loving people I have ever met. Even though it is an honors university, we love to have fun! Almost every night something is going on...it's just your job to find out what and where. Most events are posted on our homepage, but also checking Facebook and checking bulletin boards in the dorms will get you hip! The most denomination is Caucasian and Asian, next would be African American and Latinos. As a previous member of the Black Student Union of UMBC, there are strong ties between every African American that is involved and you will find that they will be some of your biggest supporters as well as closest friends. Overall, there are infinite numbers of interacial friendships and relationships that bring us all closer. Each student that attends UMBC is very goal oriented and speaks of their futures in good light because they know they are working hard for what they want to achieve!

The academic aspect is suppose to be challenging, but it definitely helps you to gain better study skills, organizational skills, and networking. It's almost imperative that you quickly learn how to manage your time for studying as well as your social life. Learning how to work with others in your class to form study groups exercises our abilities to successfully work with one another.

Kyle

When it came down to it I was deciding between College Park and UMBC and there were a few different reasons that I came here. One of the main things was that at College Park you are just a number. It is so hard to get personal help there because of how many people go there. Here there is always help and everyone tries very hard to get you through the year happily. One thing I would change is I would give the school a football team because I think that is a big reason that some people lack school spirit. To summarize though, the school is very convenient for me and the knowledge that is provided to me and the people who are here always makes me feel that there really is something special about this place.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to work on campus would definitely be the library. The library is designed to allow students to get work done with as little distractions as possible. The library has many floors, the first floor being full of computers for you to do research if you desire. But what they do to help keep is quiet if necessary is they have specific floors that are designated as "quiet floors" and even floors that are designated as "absolute quiet floors". So there are actually many places on campus to get work done (basically wherever you want) but if you just want a nice quiet place to get work done then the library is your best bet.

The more popular activities and groups here are the sports clubs and fraternities/sororities. There is a specific type of fraternity/sorority for almost everybody if you look and there are so many different sports teams. The best part is though we have so many activities and groups and if you would like to do something that is not available then you are more than capable of starting the group yourself. Plus as I have said on previous questions, if you want to meet people there are so many ways to do it and so many ways to have fun and make friends.

The students at the school vary. We are known as one of the most diverse schools in the nation. However, so long as I've been here, all the students have been nice. As long as you try, I think anybody can make friends at this school. Plus this school is known for being full of geniuses because a big reason a lot of people come here is the great academic opportunities. So the students are whatever you want them to be because they are so diverse, in both race and character.

The academics are one of the best things about this place. Any Major has so many classes and teachers and sessions that they can go to help them learn. Plus you can always find a way to get help if you need it because the school tries so hard to help you succeed. I am a Computer Science major and there are so many things that I have learned because of the help that the school is willing to give me. And there are plenty of times that I need help because I tend to be a slow learner.

There is a stereotype that kids at this school are boring. This school is very academically proud and people think because of that that nobody had any fun. Speaking from personal experience I always have a ton of work to do but if I want to try to have fun I try to hang out with friends or go check out the activities on campus. This school is not college park but if you want to find something fun to do you can always do it, and you will be getting a good education while you are at it

Arabia

My overall opinion of this school is that it is a school for education. I know you say education isn't every school however, it is not. Majority of colleges and universities there are a plethora of parties and drinking and drugs on campus. At UMBC there is not a lot of that going on. The students here get there work done and party later, but the library is always packed so I highly doubt there is much partying going on.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

One day I will never forget is when SEB was selling Snoop Dogg tickets and students were actually missing class to wait in line for a ticket to see Snoop Dogg.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to UMBC because I had a friend who had just transferred to the school and I wanted to be closer home. I was not happy once I transferred but things are starting to look up for me at the school.

What are your classes like?

The classes are easy but hard at the same time. There is no class at UMBC you can just sit there come to class text and do no homework and pass. You have to do ALL of the work in order to pass with flying colors.

The most popular student groups and organizations are the Greeks. UMBC is full of Greek Organizations(Fraternities and Sororities). There are multiple types of organizations to join here at UMBC

At UMBC the grading is very hard if you are not use to it. The professors teach as if you are at an Ivy League University. There is a lot of studying required in order to pass your classes at UMBC. The library is always packed because students are studying of all of their classes. The professors give work as if you only have their class to take for the entire semester.

Dan

My overall opinion of this school is excellent. Here I have gotten opportunities I didn't even think about in high school. Possibly my favorite thing about UMBC is the class size. Many are small enough where you can get specific help from a professor but not to small as to where as there are no people socializing. Another great thing about our campus is President Freeman Hrabowski who was recently featured on '60 Minutes.' He is a very charismatic man who is always walking around campus and will always say hello and ask how your semester is going. I'm very involved with athletics here at UMBC and the school also provides great competition to watch. Women's basketball was picked to finish first in the conference this year and men's soccer made the NCAA Tournament last year.

What are your classes like?

Classes are usually twice a week for an hour and 15 minutes. Mostly I have had teachers who lecture but class participation is always encouraged.

Athletics here on campus are more popular then ever. With the success of the men's soccer team, women's basketball and lacrosse teams, and others, students usually come out in bulk to these events, none being more popular then our men's basketball games. Every weekend there is a movie shown in one of the lecture halls and there is usually something to do on campus. Certain dorms are more social then others because some have people who leave their door's open while other's don't (and some of the dorms don't even have doors you can leave open.) Guest speakers and performers make appearances for special occasions and there are many places off campus you can visit. We're located in Catonsville/Arbutus with Baltimore City and the Inner Harbor no more then ten minutes away. The dating scene is great, I met my girlfriend in my dorm last year which was one of the most social dorms on campus. Frats and sororities are very popular and can be seen around campus a lot.

The academics at my school are based on the sciences and engineering. As a media and communications major I get to see a different side of it and in my experiences, a little over half of the professors will know your name. Many times class participation is a requirement and the students are very competitive. But even with the competition, students help each other in and out of class and you can even get extra help from professors during their office hours.

The students at my school are some of the most diverse on any campus in the country. There are people from more countries then I can name and they all interact well while still mingling with others from similar cultures. It gives you a chance to see many different aspects of the world and each culture has their own club or something of the sort. At UMBC you get to see different cultures and people that you may otherwise wouldn't get to.

The stereotype of UMBC is that it is an all Asian campus even with nicknames like U Must Be Chinese, but while there are many Asians at UMBC, there are also students of every nationality imaginable. It is one of the most diverse campuses in the country with people from all different races and cultures which makes it very interesting. It also gets the stereotype of being a nerdy campus which is not true. The people here are smart, but as the sports editor of the school newspaper, I see a lot of support for the athletics on campus and other things of that nature.

Keena

The diversity in my school is phenomenal. I don't say this to boast, but we have a diverse student body coming from different parts of the world, diverse majors from performing arts, to school of aging, to philosophy, and we take part in everything from Bollywood film festivals, frisbee games, cultural shows, to chess tournaments. Not only do we excel in exploring our diversity, but we have been ranked as the number one upcoming University for the second year in a row. The perfect size of our campus, with growing student attendance, I'd say the diversity only allows us to become more involved while allowing us to learn about different cultures, activities, organizations and perks about our campus. However, most of the students wished we had a football team to rave about or watch on TV, we do have an outstanding soccer team who has won the State championship in the year of 2010.There are no "clicks" existing, when SGA holds a barbecue on the first day of school in the Erickson field, while greek organizations recruit, and frisbees are being thrown around, and the Pre-Med Society is grilling the hot dogs- we all collaborate, with no regards of what group we represent, we hold our own identities while enriching our knowledge about others.

A common stereotype about the University of Maryland Baltimore County is the dominant demographic distribution of Asian students. This stereotype is false, because in 2009, UMBC was ranked as second in the nation for diverse student populations. Also, UMBC is stereotyped to be mainly exclusive for science-majors students only. Although UMBC is mainly focused in research in the science field, it offers a wide variety of majors from performing arts, to graphic designs to economics. UMBC students are commonly conceived as boring individuals because of our smaller campus compared to the surrounding campuses, but the smaller environment has allowed the student life to become closely integrated, allowing us to learn more about the diversity of student body in our campus.

Ariana

Fully research the universities to which you are applying to ensure the programs, faculty, resources, administration, finanicial aid, amenities are a good fit for you. Take time to get to know professors who can be great resources and references for your future employment/postgraduate studies.

I wish that I had known some of the professors and additional career/graduate school resources before coming to this school. I also wish I had had more knowledge in scholarships available to students.

The worse thing about the school is the older dorms/apartments.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.