Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Daniel

Instills a foundation of knowledge which teaches students to continue their pursuit of knowledge and education after graduati...

Instills a foundation of knowledge which teaches students to continue their pursuit of knowledge and education after graduation.

UMBC is an engineering institute and has many research opportunities in that field. If one were to attend UMBC in search of a refined liberal arts program they should reconsider and search elsewhere. UMBC provides an exceptional level of education and rational thought to students for a relatively low price.

Rationality is an invaluable tool. Take an objective approach to every tribulation, event, and observation. Rationality will provide you with a mentality that is conducive to professional success, adding longevity to relationships, and perseverance in the face of personal adversity. It allows you to divest yourself of prejudice, which can only be destructive. You will no longer be impetuous, which I have found will primarily result in regret. Too few people have an ideal level of rationality, which would restrict them from jumping to conclusions hastily, cause them to be prudent, and show sympathy for others. I have seen far too many people damaged or begin lamenting over irrational decisions or the irrational act of another. Irrationality is a vice, avoid it as frequently as you can. Refining your rational thought will give you an outlook on life which I can only describe as mature. We face impending difficulties, and approaching them with rationality will not only facilitate the process of enduring personal adversity, but also will cause you to learn from the experience. You realize the inevitablility of trials such as death and illness, and instead of allowing these to be destructive, you can reconcile with life's challenges.

Shadab

There is definitely a diverse community here, and a lot of people are very friendly and easy to talk to. I love the diversity on campus, and how open everyone is about who they are and their beliefs. UMBC students aren't the biggest party crowd, but the people you meet are can definitely help you in working towards a successful future.

College is definitely more tough than high school, make sure you don't carry the same study habits as high school when you come in. Also, try to plan your future early, or else you will have to switch majors deep into your college years and work very hard the last few years to make sure you graduate on time. Friends are great, but make sure you balance time between them and studying. Be involved in campus activities and clubs, you will meet many different kinds of friendly and helpful people. Enjoy your time in college, it's only 4 years so make the most of it!

The beginner level courses, such as Biology and Chemistry, are very tough. They are this way, because they are "weed-out" courses, where they separate the focused, determined students from the rest. I wish I knew that freshmen year was very important, because it is harder to raise your GPA later in the game if you don't do well earlier. There is also many honors programs with great benefits that I wish I knew about so I could apply for them.

chinasa

At this point in my life, of course there are things that I wish I had paid more attention to or taken a little bit more seriously. I've made a lot of mistakes throughout my college career, but I would have to say that the one that I wish I could go back in time to tell my high school self would be the importance of building a relationship with my high school counselor. There is nothing like not having to stress about the financial aspect of college and a strong relationship with my counselor would have given me that advantage. I envy those college students who can fully take advantage of the college experience because they are financially taken care of because they were smart and aware enough to obtain scholarships with the help of their counselors. I was blissfully ignorant in my belief that it would all work out for the better, now two years later I am working three jobs praying that one day I will get there. As a college student I realize that the only way I will reach my goals is through a college education, so I am willing to work.

I mostly brag about the fact that the school is an honors university and that they are one the highest up and coming universities in the nation.

Smart and motivated individuals should attend this university because it is very cut throat.

Kristine

Compared to the the other schools that I considered, my school is relatively smaller. My school was not my first choice college, I wanted to go to a much larger school. I ended up choosing UMBC because of its distance, far enough to live on campus yet close enough that I could travel home if need be.

I consider the diversity of the students one of the best things about this school. The diversity of this campus includes not only diversity of race, ethnicity, and culture, but diversity of views. UMBC does a good job at allowing the many views of students to be heard.

Kristine, no matter what college you decide to go to you have the ability to adjust accordingly. Friends will come and go, stay strong because those who will stay at your side through it all are the friends who make life worthwhile. Now that you're a senior, continure to work hard and gain better study habits! The stronger your study habits then the easier it will be for you to adjust to the workload. Don't feel too rushed about choosing a major, take random classes you'll be surprised at how much they will interest you. Choose something you love to do and happiness and prosperity will follow later in life, even if it's a few years after you graduate.

Mariah

My classmates are eccentric and willing to learn.

My classmates are eccentric and willing to learn.

I have learned not just information at this university, but also how to solve problems effectively and efficiently. I have learned that not all situations are ideal but there in our lives to make us better people. Attending this university has been valuable because it was exposed me to different people, religions, race and ethnicities in a way that makes these differences acceptable and fun to experience.

I wish I had known the amount of work needed to do my best but I still think it is worth it.

Mitchel

In the summer I had some problems with my housing deposit, and I had to send it again. Because of this my housing information was late, and I was put into a temporary dormatory for the semester. As soon as I found out I was very dissappointed. When I got to University of Maryland, Baltimore County, I had five roommates. Over time me and my roommates got very close, and we became like a family. We were a very diverse room, because everyone had a different ethnic background and customs. We were there for each other for everything. By the end of the semester I didn't want to leave. I learned a lot from this college experience. I learned how to deal with different people and work together, and I learned how to work with distractions around me. I also learned how to be dependent and stand up for myself when I need to. I think this is very important, especially in the business world, because it is very competitive, and I can get ahead with these skills.

Well, sometimes there is a lack of things to do. It gets a little boring here sometimes. The social life at my university isn't too great.

I usually say that my school is number one for undergraduate degrees, over big ivy league schools.

William

Throughout my college experience, I have learned more through people than I have through my textbooks. I have been taught by many different types of teachers from all kinds of backgrounds, and through these backgrounds I have learned to look at the world with an awareness I would not have had if I hadn't attended college. There are many college students today that waste time and money going to college, simply because they don't care about the opportunity they have. They do just enough to get by, and graduate with nothing but a certificate. I have been to countries where education is more valuable than gold, and anyone who can recieve an education can recieve a completely different life. It is not the knowledge that one learns throughout their education that is important, but rather what one chooses to do with it that counts. After college, I wish to travel to countries like Kenya, India and Pakistan as an ESL teacher so that I might be able to give the children there a chance for a better life. I intend to use what skills I have learned in school to make a difference in the world around me.

Mbwenze

School is very diverse, very good in the Biological sciences, not a party school, very book conscious environment, the president of the school is such a wonderful person.

They are very approachable, willing to help especially when it comes to studies.

Leaving in the dorms have made me to be very responsible and time conscious. I've learned to appreciate what I have as a college student because some students will want to go to the extend of stealing from others. The act of giving and helping others has become a part of my life as a colllege student and I'm very determined and believe that I will make the best outside of college. Meeting with other students from diversed backgrounds has made me to understand how people live and interact on the other side of the world. I use to be a shy person but now, the shyness has faded away due to the fact that I interact a lot with other students. Academically, I've improved a lot compared to when I was in high school. I'm more serious and focused , the teachers are very encouraging and helpful. I put in all the efforts in my studies because college is no joke. Because of the competiveness among students, I tend to work so hard in order to achieve my set goals and to stay on top.

College has given me the best present, in my opinion, that anyone could ever receive. My college experience has brougt me to life. In high school I didn't really do the whole school thing, I was basically a "C" student. I only went sometimes because I would get to see my friends. I always knew I was going to go to college but just didn't understand the importance. When I moved on to Valencia Community College it was like a whole new person came out. I finally got it, and I wanted to do better for myself. During my two years at Valencia I only received one "C". College has taught me the importance of organization, and not just in my school life. I am now attending the University of Central Florida, where I will be majoring in Criminal Justice. Going to class everyday is actually fun now. With this new attitude collge has gave me, I have a better relationship with both of my parents. It is now enjoyable to sit and talk with them about my future and how I'm going to get there. College has shapped me into the better person I am today.

It's a very academically focused school and is very good for those who are focused.

I have learned more about myself in 15 weeks than my whole entire 18 years of living. I never knew how dependent I was on my parents and I never knew how strong I could be. I never knew that I could stand to peer pressure so easily, not forsaking the morals my parents taught me. I never knew the REAL me. Yes, there has been academic growth, but there has also been personal and spiritual growth. I have met people, who in high school, I would never have been friends with and I have learned to be diverse. I have not done well on some tests, helping me form better study habits and techniques. I have learned so much that I would not have learned if I had stayed home. Living on campus, I have gained every young adults dream, independence.

The worst thing about the school is that the social atmosphere during the weekends is very weak. This causes the students to feel overwhelmed. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.