Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Jason

1. The best thing about UMBC is the openness of students. People are typically friendly. 2. I would completely revamp Reslife and the administration. They kinda suck. 3. Our school is small, but I think that adds to how the students seem to all know each other. 4. "Really? Sorry man." or "Never heard of it." 5.I'd say my time is evenly split between class, on-campus job, and my on campus residence. 6. What college town? 7. The administration is whacked out. Especially that nonfucntioning section 8. For me: the smoking ban. For the campus: probably nothing. We don't really get riled up as a whole. 9. There is when we're winning. 10. We've got an underground tunnel system that we're not supposed to know about. But other than that, it's a fairly typical small state run institution. 11. How about several? Blowing up pumpkins, having revenge sex on the couch, mad parties in walker, death race 2006 around the loop, drunken full contact football everytime it snows, throwing a challenge flag at a professor, boxing outside the dorms, smoking stogies on a great spring day while ogling all the pretty ladies walking on academic row, and these are just to name a few. Note how none of these are truly academic.

1. Typically they've done programs geared towards making middle aged middle class heterosexual white men feel guilty. At least that's my experience of them. 2. Middle class heterosexual white male with little to no athletic ability. 3. Jeans and tee shirts. 4. Not on a large scale. Groups still segregate themselves within the commons while eating and socializing. That part of the campus still has the feel of a high school. But outside of there, especially in residential areas, integration is more prevalent 5. Jocks, Geeks, Blacks/African Americans/Whatever the politically correct term is now, and loners 6. Maryland or New Jersey. 7. Middle class. 8. Everyone's got an opinion, but not everyone is extremely motivated to make anything of it. 9. Left (unfortunately) 10. Nope. We're more worried about simply graduating.

Don't live on campus past your freshman year. It'd good for experience but not for mental health. Get off campus as soon as possible, you will be happier.

Not in the least. In reality, we're generally apathetic and not extremely pleased with the administration. Students that live on campus seem to exhibit this attitude the most.

1. Yes. But then I'm a bit of a jackass and people come to know me quickly. 2. My favorite classes are the philosophy ones. I enjoy arguing and looking at things from multiple points of view. My least favorite was my spanish 102 course. The professor was indonesian, raised in germany, lived in spain for a couple years, and came here. There was a definite problem with accents, not to mention she was a ridiculously tough grader who would spring projects on us with little time to complete them. 3. Depends on the student. 4. Depends on the class. 5. Depends on the conversation. I could say that a conversation about "A Modest Proposal" might be intellectual. 6. Maybe? 7. Philosophy of Humor 8. We think. A lot. Most of the stuff we go over is bullshit that was spewed forth by men that have been wormfood for a long time already. 9.not at all. I don't think they would approve or could handle the sick sense of humor and heavy drinking. 10. They're average. 11. That depends on the professor whose class you're taking.

1. Lacrosse, Rugby, Basketball (for now). I was involved with the Cigar Enthusiasts for awhile. 2. some do. 3. Athletics get more popular the closer we get to tournaments. The theatre isn't to popular, and guest speakers are hit-or-miss, 4. Dating scene? That's whatever someone makes of it on their own individual level. Personally, it's been just fine for me. 5. Random parties that turned into friendships. 6. Staring at the ceiling, trying to go to sleep because I've got to get up at 7:30. 7. Drunken football, crab feast at the end of spring semester, steak and stogie with the bros. quadmania. 8. Depends. Sometimes once a week, sometimes every night, sometimes once a month, sometimes it's a question of whether or not the party ever ends. 9. To me: not very. I despise the organizations themselves but generally get along with the frat guys that aren't total douches. Same with the sorority sisters. I get along with the ones that aren't stuck up. 10. Last weekend was Easter, so I was in Gettysburg visiting my grandparents. 11. Movies, cards, paintball, explosives, racing, game night, go home, sleep, have sex, go shopping, smoke cigars, read a book, fix something that reslife should've taken care of, clean the apartment, the list goes on... 12. Pretty much the same thing as above.

We're either really motivated and studious or jocks.

Ryan

The best thing is because UMBC is such a unique place, it breeds great friendships. The school size is perfect I think, for a medium sized school. When I say I attend umbc people either say, "where? I've never heard of that," "U Must Be Crazy" or "U Must Be Chinese." I spent most of my time in the Commons- I do like the Commons, its a legit place to be whether you want some quiet study/nap time or to eat with friends. There is no college town and that is one of the major drawbacks of umbc. There is simply nothing around. To get something to eat you have to go at least 15 minutes away to Arundel Mills or Columbia. There needs to be some sort of local town center with shops and food that students can WALK to. I think UMBC's administration is terrible, honestly. Being an athlete, we have gotten screwed repeatedly. The President has no care or concern for the athletic department, and the athletic programs will never improve unless the President has a major change of heart, or we get a new President. I understand that Athletics are not at the top of his priorities, however, big athletics means big name recognition and more students/employers/people being aware of the University. Big athletics also means more money for the University (like the men's basketball team recently going to the NCAAs- this was a huge money maker for the school!). The athletic administration needs to undergo a sea-change as well. The Athletic Director (AD) is outdated. Although I do have to give them credit for making certain improvements in the four years I have been here (a new turf, a new soccer stadium, a new field house, new locker rooms for mens and womens basketball). Despite these tangible changes, the foundations of the athletic department have remained the same. Since the President of the University doesn't devote any time or money to athletics, the programs will also remain mediocre. And mediocrity breeds more mediocrity. The coaches are mediocre, the administration is mediocre, etc. More specifically, there is something missing from the athletic department and I feel they have let me down repeatedly. My major point of concern is in academic advising. Your first two years you are required to be advised by an athletic-academic advisor, and then once you are a junior you are supposed to be advised within your major. But, since you have previously been advised in the athletic department, you don't know the procedure for departmental advising. It's almost like- the athletic department coddles you for a year, then kicks you out, but doesn't give you the resources to survive on your own. So, if the athletic department is going to encourage departmental advising, they need to tell you that. Furthermore, they should require that all ATHLETES having a meeting with someone at the Shriver Center or Career Services Center. No one in the athletic department tells you about these other services, which are crucial for finding internships,scholarships, and opportunities post graduation. Simply, there is just something missing, there is a lack in communication somewhere. I think it boils down to the fact that the athletic department makes you think they will handle all of your needs, but really, they don't and they don't show you the tools you need outside the department. There is no school pride, and it sucks. However, the recent men's basketball win in the Conference Tournament bred immense school spirit. It is the only time at this university that I have felt like I was at a "real school." And I will always remember having chills watching that game at the arena. Frequent student complaints- there is no school spirit, there are too many weird people at umbc, there is no campus life.

I honestly feel that NO ONE would feel out of place at UMBC. It truly is a diverse campus in every sense of the word (i.e., racially, religiously, etc.) So, I think if you are looking for a school where everyone is welcome and accepted regardless of gender, sexual preference, religion, or race, UMBC is the right place. To describe those four tables-none of them would be the same- Financial background- id assume a middle bracket socioecon status students are very politically involved, mostly left leaning (aren't most campuses?) No- I've never engaged in a discussion about future earnings.

The first one, sort of, but the athletes don't separate themselves to be mean, it's just that we have similar practice and game schedules and can relate to each other. The school is very diverse. There isn't much campus life, especially on weekends. The last one is pretty true, the typical student isn't your average college kid. Many are more focused on video games and MAGIC games than sports and outdoor activities.

Most of my classes have been in the 30 student range, but my absoulte favorite classes have been the ones with ten people or less, (which are common in the upper level electives) that way you can talk w/o monopolizing the conversation and there is generally a good heated discussion. one of my fav classes was American Studies 200- with Dr. Donovan b/c we read so many books I would have never read otherwise and I loved every single one of them. Most of my proffesors know my name, but I think you need to make an effort for that to occur. If you attend class, sit in the back and don't participate you won't build a relationship with your proffs.

Since UMBC is such a young school, it struggles in the sense of tradition. There is also no football team- so if you want that traditional experience of tailgating and going to games- UMBC isn't for you. That doesn't exist. I don't know what the most popular clubs are. And athletic events arent very popular unless a team (mainly lax or bball) is doing really well. I've been told our theatre is amazing, and I've been a few times, but I don't think it is overly popular. There are a lot of guest speakers, but often at times I can't attend. Homecoming happens every year- which is centered around the mens soccer game. It is usually a big deal and a lot of people come out for that. I don't know about the dating scene- I met my boyfriend in a class, but I don't think that is common. UMBC is certainly not overflowing with beautiful people- not at all. If you are awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, you are either alone or at The Spot- a place to get food late at night. That is another prob with UMBC-few things are open late at night. Frats/Soroities aren't as important as they seem at other campuses. At any normal school I'd say there are normal people partying and having a good time, that don't belong to Greek Life. But at UMBC- If you are drinking and partying, you most likely belong to Greek Life or are an athlete. It seems that the majority of the population doesn't really care about the Greek system and doesn't want to be involved in those drinking activities, and therefore, doesnt deem it important. I have no idea what you can do on a saturday that doesnot involve drinking- you would have to go off campus to have fun- and that is like 15 min to the nearest mall/movie theatre. The majority of people who go out on weekends go downtown to bars- there are four main hot spots- Powerplant, Fells Point, Federal Hill, and Canton. Most people go to either powerplant or federal hill. There are tons of bars for w/e you desire and tons of college kids. There is no local bar that isnt a complete dive and a piece of shit. I think a local bar would be cool as well.

That the athletes are clickish and don't associate with anyone else. That the school population is made up of a lot of Asians. That it is a suitcase school with nothing to do on the weekends. That it's not a real school and everyone is a dork.

timothy

The best thing abot UMBC is the Humanities Progam; it is a group of studetns with an interest in a discipline in the humanities with some living on their own living/learning community floor. We have fun, do scholarly and non-scholarly activites from poetry readings to historical hikes. I spend most of my time on this floor and after that I would have to say the library. There really isn't too much of a problem that I have with UMBC's size or location. The size is not bad because it is small enough that I see a lot of people that I know some well some not so well just walking to class, and I grew up ten minutes from the school so I know the area real well. As to the administration, it is better than AUCs. Dr. Hrabowski is great and works really hard for our school. The only problem I have with administration is freshmen advising. It is chaotic and exhausting and usually disorganized. The biggest controversy that I can remember was when a UMBC student brutally killed a woman. Thankfully this is very rare and other than that maybe it is the new smoking perimeter, which I am all for. School spirit does kind of lag at sports games but our teams did well this year so maybe next year it will be up. Other non sports related school spirit I guess is fine. For me this is my school, I am proud to be here. One of the few fun things that I can recall are playing jailbreak in Academic row, snowball fights in the middle of the night, freezing while doing Aikido in the winter after dark, getting to know my roommates, drinking coffee in the dining hall, rolling down the hill near the administration building on a perfect late summer early fall night, walking around unlocking campus at six oclock in the morning with no one else around. The most frequent complaints are about the food. Sodexho does a so so job here and thankfully it is being evaluated. (Hopefully it will either improve or be replaced).

You will find anyone here at UMBC. Any of those groups listed above will be active and for the most part tolerant. As with any schoool there are always some people with bigoted attitudes but UMBC lets groups express thier views. No one would feel too out of place here because there are so many different people, unless you want extreme personal attention or to be lost in the sea of people as a number.

I do not regret coming here and am happy here. I wish there was a bigger arabic program, but as it grows, I grow with it. We need healthier food here though and more flexibility with the dining hall meal uses.

1. No, but there are a lot of different people here from all over, something I didn't appreciate until now, while studying abroad at the American University in Cairo where the majority of students are Egyptian. 2. They are what you make of them. Weekends don't suck, just the people who say they do because they either go home or sit in their dorm rooms without doing fun stuff with friends or stuff provided by UMBC. 3. Yes, I think this is for the most part true. I am not a big partier but they happen on campus. Not to the extent of College Park maybe. 3a. Haven't been to a party like that yet; they were all lots of fun from the low key to the very big. Though something is not talked about is the alcohol abuse that I and anyone who goes to parties see. 4. It is a science and math school, but it is also a arts and humanities school. We have great arts and humanities programs, disciplines, and professors that don't get a lot of publicity or space in the reputation of UMBC. 5. To an extent yes.

Academics for the most part are very personal. In most of my classes (speaking from the humanities disciplines and not the big seminars in science and engineering) the professors establish good relations with the students. I have had many incredible teachers, some so so, and a few bad. Most of the professors will know my name by the end of the semester, know me after the class has ended in the following semester if I make and effort to talk to them outside class, and will usually at least recognize that I was in their class at one point. Students study a lot here; it is a very hardworking school. We have had great discussions in class, always made more enjoyable by the oddballs in the class, and many times the discussions continue or start outside the classroom. I feel UMBC depending on your major trains you for your job and for the sake of learning. As a humanities major, I am receiving skills that will help me get a job that could require strong writing and critical thinking, but most of my classes have a major part that exist for the sake of learning and the professors love to impart that knowledge to us.

If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am I am either frantically finishing a paper, or hanging out in the common room watching a movie, talking, or stretching with a group of friends. Usually it is the latter because on our floor someone is usually always up. If not then, I am asleep because I have class at 10. On a saturday without drinking? You can do numerous things. There are parties on our floor every once in a while but mostly it would be watching movies, going into baltimore, or just hanging out with friends. UMBC groups hold activiites and sponsor 3 times a week movie nights. I go home to my family, go into Arbutus or Catonsville for food. Lots of people like to go to Double TT diner late at night or for me Sorenntos. There is a lot that goes on in the city, but other people than I usually do that.

1. That UMBC is filled with Asian students. 2. That the weekends suck. 3. That is it not a party school. 3a. That a UMBC party consists of students sitting around in a circle in their dorm and drink enough until they get drunk and pass out. 4. That UMBC is a science and math school. 5. That we are all nerds.

Shannon

The school has a reputation as great academically but not so great socially.

The school has a reputation as great academically but not so great socially.

For some people yes, for others, not at all.

Great. Classes are fairly small, teachers know you by name. However, some professors do not seem to understand that we take more than just their classes.

Sports and Greek life are the most popular extra-curricular activities on campus. I'm in Phi Mu and it rocks.

The best thing about UMBC would have to be the few, and there are a few but not many, teachers who care, some of the fellow students. I would change many things about UMBC. The biggest change I would make is the administration. When I tell people I go to UMBC, most people say things like, what is that? where is that? is it a community college? is it a lesser version of college park, etc. In the RAC(Retrievers Activities Center/aka the gym). What college town, there is nothing there except to go to downtown baltimore, which you can't do until you are a junior or senior depending on your age. UMBC's administration needs a big change. Until the president realizes that there are other students at the school than the Honors University Students and the special Meyerhoff Students (a special program that was set up for minority students studying the sciences). Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great program, but it is the only program that he pays any attention to or even cares about. There are other students that go to the school as well and he would not recognize that unless something amazing happened that could bring the school publicity. If it were up to him athletics would be completely gone from the school, but he doesn't realize, that athletics are what brings people, and money to the school. Many students would love to see a football team but that will never happen under his watch. However, when the womens basketball team in 2007 and men's in 2008 went to the NCAA tournament, he all of a sudden cared, because that brings in money and people, maybe after two consecutive years and possibly more publicity he will realize that he needs to care a little more about all of his students, but probably not. There is very little school pride with the exception of the recent activities with the NCAA tournament, school pride came out of no where. There was also a very small group, maybe 50 or so students, that always showed their school pride!

My experiences with other groups on campus have been fine. I really don't think any student would feel out of place at UMBC because there is such a diverse group of students. Most students dress casual to class, jeans/polo's, t-shirts/sweats, etc. people only really dress up when they have a presentation. Most UMBC students are either foreign of from Maryland.

My opinion may seem pretty negative towards UMBC, but I have always had an open mind about UMBC. They just have continued to let me down. I have had a few bad experiences, but even before my bad experiences, my opinions about the administration had already been formed. If you had asked me the same questions 2 years ago I would have answered the same, with the exception that now I have actual experiences to back up my bad feelings towards the university. I know many people that have the same feelings towards the school and they did not have anything bad happen to them ever. It is a general feeling that many of my friends as well as other students that I have heard say similar things have towards the school. When you enter UMBC you are promised the world, and you leave realizing, you never really got much of anything, but some life changing experiences that have made you more skeptical than ever about people who say they are there to help. This is not to take anything away from the few good teachers there are because the ones that are good are really great, but there are just so much bad that overshadows them. Also, many students only come to UMBC for a year or two and end up transferring.

Some, Many of my classes were lecture hall sized, I could count on one hand the professors who actually knew my name, but those few were the most amazing teachers I have ever had. Favorite class would be Philosophy 100 or 152 with Jim Thomas, probably one of the best teachers ever. Least Favorite class is a tie between Biology, Chemistry, and Physics... Many of the lower level courses the teachers do not know your name because the class size is pretty large, but when you get to the upper levels they tend to learn your name, usually.... Many students study all the time, of course there are the typical slackers but most study often, it also depends on the major, you will find science majors studying a lot more and social science majors doing more reading and paper writing, not necessarily always the case but a generally. Class participation is common in some classes, but not all, it really depends. Some classes base grades on participation in which case there is a lot more participation. Also some of the bigger classes use a clicker system so people answer but 200 people can answer in a minute, which is pretty neat and can help with participation. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class, but it really depends on who you are talking to. Students are pretty competitive, even though none of my classes had a true curving system where only a few could get an A. That was one good thing, if grades were low teachers would "curve", but only to make grades higher, never to fit a curve. The most unique class I took, and also one of the best was the Psychology of HIV/AIDS. This class can really change your perspectives on the world and opens your eyes. A very informative and awesome class!!! My major/department is mixed good with bad. It has many very very good professors, as well as many very bad professors. There are about 5 professors that are awesome and absolutely amazing (only counting teachers I've had, but I've avoided certain ones based upon other students reviews), but the rest are just not very good at all. I have had bad experiences with advising. My advisor was assigned to me, and I know many of my friends were able to choose their advisors and have had better outcomes. From the start, since I had a sort of double major (Psychology and Pre-Allied Health), my advisor never really knew what was going on, they were never prepared, never knew what I had to take/needed to take, thankfully I was on top of things and always knew, with the exception of one semester that could have changed my life. So here's the short version, I went to my advisor after making some adjustments to my schedule to take 21 credits so I could graduate early, and I asked my advisor, "If I take all these credits will I be able to graduate?", I wanted to be sure everything I was taking would count. My advisor said yes, and I can imagine you know where this is going, of course 1 of my 21 credits "didn't count" because of a rule about repeating something, a rule that was in a handbook that no one really reads(word of advice, if you go to UMBC, read the handbook/course catalog that is given to you, not the one online or else you will not see ALL of the rules and it will be your fault!!). Basically my advisor did not catch this, and I did not know it was a rule, so I was told on the day after registration for the next semester ended, that I had not graduated. About a month of trying to resolve this issue with no help, I finally went to the top (once I found out how to reach the top), and they were able to help resolve the issue, but you can imagine the distress when you have a job, and are told that you in fact do not have a degree, and it is too late to register for classes for the current semester so you will not receive your degree until after the summer semester, all because of a rule you did not know about and your advisor did not catch (which is a departmental rule, so the departmental advisors should know about it). Basically they were able to say that it was not my fault, and sign me up for an alternate winter class that I had taken but not for credit, and I was able to get my degree, but I was lucky, someone else may not have been so lucky. I spent time with maybe 2 professors outside of class getting help. The academic requirements are fine I suppose. The education at UMBC is in my experiences geared towards going to graduate school and doing research. Not really getting a job.

Students in dorms do leave their doors open. Athletic events have not been popular until recently, perhaps a change in the school spirit, but only time will tell. Theater is not incredibly popular but I have been to a few plays and they are quite good, if you ever get a chance you should go see one, very talented people!! My closest friends were my teammates. Studying, or eating at late night, or possibly at a party, but not likely. Each year there is quadmania which is an event that occurs in the spring and has a musical guest, sometimes a comedian, and basically is a carnival, another weekend in which UMBC acts like a real college and it is pretty fun!! Groups of people party at different rates, some never party, some party 3 times a week, pretty rare for anyone to party much more than that but it has happened. Frats/sororities are somewhat important, they are not typical at UMBC though. Went to the America East Conference Championships to watch UMBC win!! Nothing to do on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, with the exception of the weekly movie in a lecture hall. Off campus you can go down to the inner harbor or other places downtown.

There really aren't a lot of stereotypes of UMBC from people outside of UMBC, most people have either never heard of it, think it is a branch campus of College Park, or think it is a community college. Stereotype that it is largely asian.

Kendall

- rugby, I'd improve sports at UMBC, get a football team, allow tailgate parties, etc -size of UMBC is just right. big enough we are on the map but not ridiculous like college park -most people react and think I'm a nerd. Then I tell them I play rugby, went on the fan buses, have been to big parties, and then they get the picture -most of my time on campus is in a lecture hall, computer lab, or rugby field. I live off campus now so I don't usually eat or sleep there. -I think the admin. side of UMBC is well run -I can't think of any big controversies -Only recently has there been school pride. I remember freshman year when only 100 people would be at basketball games - this year we set the record attendance. -I will always remember rugby games, most fun I've had and through rugby I've met some of my best friends and been on my most exciting trips. -

-none -none -casual, jeans and t shirt -yes, UMBC is an extremely diverse school and you meet many races and ethnicities. -Haven't been to the dining hall in a long long time. Used to be groups from the same floor of a dorm would eat together. -Maryland I would guess - in state tuition is great -Idk -idk -I think left, MAryland is a primarily democratic state -Being an engineering major, we talk about making money often.

This took a lot more than 10 minutes.

WRONG - The Men's basketball team made it to the NCAA tourney and was the AEC champs. The SGA helped fund fan buses to travel to Binghamton and Raleigh to watch the team - there is something to do. I have never had a boring weekend at UMBC, especially since joining the rugby team. I believe its the people who never make an effort to get involved who remain the shut-ins that declare UMBC a boring campus.

-yes, classes are usually 30-100 students -Favorite = Philosophy, the teacher was hilarious. Worst = Fluid mechanics, teacher was horrible -Varies, some never study, some never do anything else -Class participation is common when teachers ask questions. Otherwise there is only 1 jackass in every class that will interrupt to ask a stupid question -Intellectual conversations happen outside the classroom -Students are fairly competitive - engineering projects, intramural sports, and unfortunately World of Warcraft -Scuba diving -My professors in the mech/E department are for the most part nice and approachable, but some are grumpy old men. I've never just hung out with any professors. -UMBC used to have very high academic requirements, which have dropped a lot recently due to less applicants. With UMBC making the tourney I believe application rates will increase a lot, and thus the academic requirements will also increase back to normal -Getting a job, there is a Career Service Center which is constantly setting up job fairs, resume critques, mock interviews, etc

-Greek life is relatively popular. Rugby is by far the most organized and largest club sport on campus and turns out the largest crowds. I have been VP of the rugby club for almost a year and I have gained great leadership experience and was part of the team as it evolved from a screw-around club to the powerhouse it is today. We started a scholarship fund, began volunteering at an orphanage, held BBQ's for all of our home games, built bleachers for the club sports field, renovated the sports clubhouse, and the list goes on. -students usually close their doors -athletic events are getting very popular -guest speakers are not popular -theater is not so popular, but I don't run with that crowd so idk for sure -met my closest friends through rugby or partying -2am on a Tuesday I am doing some sort of hw, rarely will I might be drinking. Most often i will be sleeping -UMBC BBQ bash, rugby has a huge event with prizes, free Tshirts, etc. RAC in BLACK is for the basketball team's opening season. -Depends on who you know. Some people party every day and normally fail. Some party on weekends and have straight As. Some never party and just hang out. Some never do anything but play WoW. -Personally I don't think greek life is important. You pay lots of money to drink beer with your 'bros'. Once in a blue moon a frat will throw a big party which is always appreciated but that hasn't happened in months. -Last weekend I was home for Easter. The weekend before I was in Savannah, GA for a rugby tournament and to partake in the nations largest St. Patricks Day celebration -Watch a movie in a lecture hall, play pool, fingerpaint maybe? I'm not sure, I am a drinker -I live off campus, party off campus, eat off campus

All of my years here at UMBC I have heard people complain about campus is boring, there is nothing to do, there are never cool parties, sports programs suck, etc.

Nikki

The best thing about UMBC is its diversity and the sense of community created by the campus. Many students are approachable if not friendly. I feel like the size of its campus is just right for me. When I tell people that I go to UMBC, they assume that nothing fun or eventful happens on campus. I feel UMBC administration addresses big concerns with students directly, but I feel like there is still a lot of miscommunication between students and the administration at times. With recent events of UMBC basketball winning the conference, there is more school pride. Students often complain there is nothing to do on campus during the weekends. The one experience I will always remember is my membership of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority.

I do not believe many people would feel out of place at UMBC. UMBC is a diverse place that is accepting and welcoming of individuals from many different backgrounds.

Many students seem to be introverted, but not all students are asian or play video games. There are social activities on campus, they just aren't necessarily easy to find.

I know all of my professors' names this semester, but I haven't during previous semesters. My favorite class is political sociology because in it we discuss current events, past events and the social affects of them. I do not dislike any classes I am currently taking. Some students study all of the time and some students study only right before exams. Class participation is common in most classrooms and encouraged. The sociology and anthropology departments are helpful and encouraging. These two departments are informative, and if they do not have the answers they work to find them for me.

The most popular organizations on campus are cultural clubs and greek life. I am the Vice President of Operations of Delta Phi Epsilon. Joining DPhiE is one of the best decisions I have made in my life, and it has made me grow as an individual. DPhiE has also changed my first impressions of the social scene at UMBC and has inspired me to be more involved on campus. Athletic events do not get much support, and professors persuade students to attend guest speaker lectures by offering to give extra credit for attendance. If I am awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am hanging out with my sisters or studying. The only tradition that is prevalent in my mind is Quadmania. There are some people that party more than half of the weeek, and there are other students who do not party at all. Sororities and fraternities create a more unified community through community service, fundraising, and philanthropy events. Last weekend, I went to Good Friday service at church, and on Saturday I went to Easter service. I also spent time with my family and sisters. I can go bowling, go to Dave and Busters, watch a movie, eat, study, workout, and go to the mall on a Saturday night instead of drink.

They play World of Warcraft. They are asian. They are not social. Academics are very important.

Harper

Absolutely not!!! UMBC students are among the most spirited I have ever seen. They were some of the most excited students at the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Most of the freshman at UMBC are residents. Many of the current commuters live only a short drive from campus in the surrounding communities.

There is no school spirit at UMBC. UMBC is a commuter school.

Alex

The best thing about UMBC is the low crime, campus size, and dorms! I'd add a bigger gym, its a decent size but could use more space. I love the size never a 500 lecture course. People ask what is it sometimes, or where, they ask if i am into science or computers, or they go so does everyone always go home? I spend time with friends hanging out, at the gym (RAC), in other peoples rooms, in class, outside, at events and just around. We aren't in a town full of college kids and were a 10-15 min drive from baltimore and buses go there. You learn from others and trial and error who good professors are. generally administration is fine. I can't think of a controversy, ongoing i guess is a football team? There is an increasing school pride and I am proud to say I am part of it! We have pretty good sports and academics and its a great location. All the funny times with my room mate. We love to dress up randomly. Also this year in CAB (community actions board). The pond... More to do.. different food on weekends.

The school is very open to everything and very much wants you to be open and experience cultural different from your own. jeans and a Tee. Yes everyone interacts! Um jocks, random people, interfaith kids, more random people, me, more random people.. its a mix!

No and yes. Academics is HIGHLY valued, but our basketball team finished #1 in regular season for division 1 and has a chance to make it into the NCAA. There is PLENTY of stuff to do it just takes finding and getting involved. More just trying things. Sure bingo sounds lame.. until you get 5 friends to go and can win portable dvd playes, and guitar hero equipment. Sure that valentines day party or live clue sounds lame, until you go with someone and have memories and stories to tell for time to come. Its basically something to try. And yes currently a lot of students go home, but slowly that is changing!

I think all my professors know my name. My favorite class is child developmental psych (psych 200). The professor is an amazing teacher, the material is WELL organized and interesting. My least favorite was music 100. The music department seems to not have its act together. there is at ANY campus always at least one person studying... we might do a little extra at UMBC esp if taking science courses. Class participation is a must in a lot of smaller classes. I don't think it is a competitive i have to do better than you more i have to do better compared to ones self. Unique... hmmm I have had several. Its amazing but hard! I have started to go to office hours more often. the professors enjoy seeing your active engagement in the class and like that you care. Also a lot of them are nice and fun to talk to. (also there are good opportunities for undergrad research here (which is rare)). They aren't the easiest but it makes for a GOOD student. Its geared toward learning and sometimes you find more job based courses. The classes are really enjoyable!

Hypnosis is awesome. always have a decent block party. Quadmania always brings a well known musical artist to the school. LOTS of guest speakers and presentations and lots to do. lots of plays and all going on. On a tuesday well i sleep because im cranky otherwise! in dorms doors are open a lot! closet friends are room mates suite mates hall mates dorm mates class mates and peopel i know through them! people party more than people thing for UMBC. last weekend I had part of an inteview for a job, caught up on some sleep, and went into baltimore to B-Body Worlds. Saturday nights see a movie, SEB (students event board) almost ALWAYS has something going on. throw your own non drinking party (so much fun!)

Its a study school, No one is there on weekends, There is nothing to do.

Harper

Best thing about UMBC? The opportunity to start as a single student and make big changes. I would like to loosen some of the stricter requirements on maintaining a polished exterior, as I think it stifles student expression in some cases. I think the size (around 10K students) is perfect. "That's in College Park, right?" I spend a great deal of time in The Commons. Arbutus/Catonsville try to be a college town in some cases but they're really not quite there yet. The administration can be frustrating at times but I think that for the most part, it is staffed with people who are open-minded and genuinely interested in the well-being of the students. SAE fraternity getting severely punished over some rumored violations, prompting an inquiry into our student judicial processes. This semester our school pride has really been taking off. Everything about UMBC is unusual: the students, the opportunities to make big things happen, our flagship chess team. If you want to be just one of the crowd don't come to UMBC. I'm always going to remember my experiences with student government and how it helped to empower me to be able to effect change both on our campus and in the world around me. People often complain about the food (sucks), general class requirements (why?), not getting the grades they wanted (hmm), "there's nothing to do" (yeah right!).

We have so many different groups on campus, I have really been opened to different perspectives as a result of being involved in the campus community. I think just about any student can find what they are looking for at UMBC. But somebody who thinks college is a joke and isn't interested in devoting time to it isn't going to stay here very long. Most students wear whatever they had on the bed when they got up in the morning to class. Different types of students interact all the time because there are so many of them - you can't avoid it! One has nerds talking about online exploits, anime, and webcomics. Another consists of "artsy" students talking about US politics. Some science majors tell bio jokes. A group of roommates laughing. Most UMBC students are from Maryland and are upper-middle class, which reflects the financial background of the state. We struggle with some of the same apathy issues as the rest of the country, but the students who are involved are very involved. It's a college campus, I'd say most people are left. Lots of students talk about where they plan on going/how much they will make after graduation.

No! There are plenty of things to do on campus and one of UMBC's strengths are its differences between other schools. UMBC is a community of academically-minded individuals who are well-rounded. Even our athletics teams have some of the highest GPAs and are in difficult majors. If you are looking for regular binge drinking UMBC really isn't the right place for you.

I am in the largest major at UMBC so most of my classes are huge. In smaller classes all of my professors have known my name - also in large classes if I make the time to get to their office hours. My favorite class has been Developmental Biology with Dave Eisenmann - an interesting subject with an amazing professor. Cell biology sucked - both teachers couldn't use the lecture hall equipment and were boring as heck. There are some students studying somewhere constantly. Many people participate in class either by asking questions or using the electronic participation systems. We have a lot of people from diverse background, so even the everyday conversation can quickly turn into a very intellectual one. As a pre-med student, everybody around me is competitive. Any class with Joel Glasser is a guaranteed trip. Bio is huge, but there are some spectacular professors there. Make sure you get matched up with an adviser you can stand because you'll have to go through them to make a lot of things happen. I sometimes spend time with professors outside of class but usually in venues related to academics. There are a few I might be inviting to my wedding. UMBC's academic requirements are pretty solid, I think. Education at UMBC focuses on encouraging students to excel.

South Asian Students Association, Go Club, intramural sports. Student Government has been amazing as I have had the opportunity to really advocate for my fellow students and change things on the campus for the better. In general, people leave their doors open in the residence halls. This year we've been packing the arena for the men's basketball games. Speakers and theater are popular as well. We're pretty close to 50:50 so you've got a good shot - chances are the people you meet are going to be smart in some way. I met my closest friends through classes and doing homework together afterward, as well as people who lived on my dorm floor. Probably on the computer and talking to my roommates. Homecoming, some cultural events, Quadmania (school carnival). There are parties going on if you know the right people and where to look, but generally I'd say there is less of that than at other schools. It depends on what you're looking for in your college experience. Greek life is pretty active here but they don't have their own housing options. Visited my fiancee, edited some video footage for SGA, and went in to work. You can visit Baltimore, watch the campus movie, hang out with your friends playing Guitar Hero...

UMBC is boring, everybody goes home on the weekends, we're a commuter school, there's nothing to do on campus, college park is better, the food sucks, everybody's a nerd

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.