Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

The best thing about UMBC would have to be the few, and there are a few but not many, teachers who care, some of the fellow students. I would change many things about UMBC. The biggest change I would make is the administration. When I tell people I go to UMBC, most people say things like, what is that? where is that? is it a community college? is it a lesser version of college park, etc. In the RAC(Retrievers Activities Center/aka the gym). What college town, there is nothing there except to go to downtown baltimore, which you can't do until you are a junior or senior depending on your age. UMBC's administration needs a big change. Until the president realizes that there are other students at the school than the Honors University Students and the special Meyerhoff Students (a special program that was set up for minority students studying the sciences). Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great program, but it is the only program that he pays any attention to or even cares about. There are other students that go to the school as well and he would not recognize that unless something amazing happened that could bring the school publicity. If it were up to him athletics would be completely gone from the school, but he doesn't realize, that athletics are what brings people, and money to the school. Many students would love to see a football team but that will never happen under his watch. However, when the womens basketball team in 2007 and men's in 2008 went to the NCAA tournament, he all of a sudden cared, because that brings in money and people, maybe after two consecutive years and possibly more publicity he will realize that he needs to care a little more about all of his students, but probably not. There is very little school pride with the exception of the recent activities with the NCAA tournament, school pride came out of no where. There was also a very small group, maybe 50 or so students, that always showed their school pride!

My experiences with other groups on campus have been fine. I really don't think any student would feel out of place at UMBC because there is such a diverse group of students. Most students dress casual to class, jeans/polo's, t-shirts/sweats, etc. people only really dress up when they have a presentation. Most UMBC students are either foreign of from Maryland.

My opinion may seem pretty negative towards UMBC, but I have always had an open mind about UMBC. They just have continued to let me down. I have had a few bad experiences, but even before my bad experiences, my opinions about the administration had already been formed. If you had asked me the same questions 2 years ago I would have answered the same, with the exception that now I have actual experiences to back up my bad feelings towards the university. I know many people that have the same feelings towards the school and they did not have anything bad happen to them ever. It is a general feeling that many of my friends as well as other students that I have heard say similar things have towards the school. When you enter UMBC you are promised the world, and you leave realizing, you never really got much of anything, but some life changing experiences that have made you more skeptical than ever about people who say they are there to help. This is not to take anything away from the few good teachers there are because the ones that are good are really great, but there are just so much bad that overshadows them. Also, many students only come to UMBC for a year or two and end up transferring.

Some, Many of my classes were lecture hall sized, I could count on one hand the professors who actually knew my name, but those few were the most amazing teachers I have ever had. Favorite class would be Philosophy 100 or 152 with Jim Thomas, probably one of the best teachers ever. Least Favorite class is a tie between Biology, Chemistry, and Physics... Many of the lower level courses the teachers do not know your name because the class size is pretty large, but when you get to the upper levels they tend to learn your name, usually.... Many students study all the time, of course there are the typical slackers but most study often, it also depends on the major, you will find science majors studying a lot more and social science majors doing more reading and paper writing, not necessarily always the case but a generally. Class participation is common in some classes, but not all, it really depends. Some classes base grades on participation in which case there is a lot more participation. Also some of the bigger classes use a clicker system so people answer but 200 people can answer in a minute, which is pretty neat and can help with participation. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class, but it really depends on who you are talking to. Students are pretty competitive, even though none of my classes had a true curving system where only a few could get an A. That was one good thing, if grades were low teachers would "curve", but only to make grades higher, never to fit a curve. The most unique class I took, and also one of the best was the Psychology of HIV/AIDS. This class can really change your perspectives on the world and opens your eyes. A very informative and awesome class!!! My major/department is mixed good with bad. It has many very very good professors, as well as many very bad professors. There are about 5 professors that are awesome and absolutely amazing (only counting teachers I've had, but I've avoided certain ones based upon other students reviews), but the rest are just not very good at all. I have had bad experiences with advising. My advisor was assigned to me, and I know many of my friends were able to choose their advisors and have had better outcomes. From the start, since I had a sort of double major (Psychology and Pre-Allied Health), my advisor never really knew what was going on, they were never prepared, never knew what I had to take/needed to take, thankfully I was on top of things and always knew, with the exception of one semester that could have changed my life. So here's the short version, I went to my advisor after making some adjustments to my schedule to take 21 credits so I could graduate early, and I asked my advisor, "If I take all these credits will I be able to graduate?", I wanted to be sure everything I was taking would count. My advisor said yes, and I can imagine you know where this is going, of course 1 of my 21 credits "didn't count" because of a rule about repeating something, a rule that was in a handbook that no one really reads(word of advice, if you go to UMBC, read the handbook/course catalog that is given to you, not the one online or else you will not see ALL of the rules and it will be your fault!!). Basically my advisor did not catch this, and I did not know it was a rule, so I was told on the day after registration for the next semester ended, that I had not graduated. About a month of trying to resolve this issue with no help, I finally went to the top (once I found out how to reach the top), and they were able to help resolve the issue, but you can imagine the distress when you have a job, and are told that you in fact do not have a degree, and it is too late to register for classes for the current semester so you will not receive your degree until after the summer semester, all because of a rule you did not know about and your advisor did not catch (which is a departmental rule, so the departmental advisors should know about it). Basically they were able to say that it was not my fault, and sign me up for an alternate winter class that I had taken but not for credit, and I was able to get my degree, but I was lucky, someone else may not have been so lucky. I spent time with maybe 2 professors outside of class getting help. The academic requirements are fine I suppose. The education at UMBC is in my experiences geared towards going to graduate school and doing research. Not really getting a job.

Students in dorms do leave their doors open. Athletic events have not been popular until recently, perhaps a change in the school spirit, but only time will tell. Theater is not incredibly popular but I have been to a few plays and they are quite good, if you ever get a chance you should go see one, very talented people!! My closest friends were my teammates. Studying, or eating at late night, or possibly at a party, but not likely. Each year there is quadmania which is an event that occurs in the spring and has a musical guest, sometimes a comedian, and basically is a carnival, another weekend in which UMBC acts like a real college and it is pretty fun!! Groups of people party at different rates, some never party, some party 3 times a week, pretty rare for anyone to party much more than that but it has happened. Frats/sororities are somewhat important, they are not typical at UMBC though. Went to the America East Conference Championships to watch UMBC win!! Nothing to do on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, with the exception of the weekly movie in a lecture hall. Off campus you can go down to the inner harbor or other places downtown.

There really aren't a lot of stereotypes of UMBC from people outside of UMBC, most people have either never heard of it, think it is a branch campus of College Park, or think it is a community college. Stereotype that it is largely asian.

Kendall

- rugby, I'd improve sports at UMBC, get a football team, allow tailgate parties, etc -size of UMBC is just right. big enough we are on the map but not ridiculous like college park -most people react and think I'm a nerd. Then I tell them I play rugby, went on the fan buses, have been to big parties, and then they get the picture -most of my time on campus is in a lecture hall, computer lab, or rugby field. I live off campus now so I don't usually eat or sleep there. -I think the admin. side of UMBC is well run -I can't think of any big controversies -Only recently has there been school pride. I remember freshman year when only 100 people would be at basketball games - this year we set the record attendance. -I will always remember rugby games, most fun I've had and through rugby I've met some of my best friends and been on my most exciting trips. -

-none -none -casual, jeans and t shirt -yes, UMBC is an extremely diverse school and you meet many races and ethnicities. -Haven't been to the dining hall in a long long time. Used to be groups from the same floor of a dorm would eat together. -Maryland I would guess - in state tuition is great -Idk -idk -I think left, MAryland is a primarily democratic state -Being an engineering major, we talk about making money often.

This took a lot more than 10 minutes.

WRONG - The Men's basketball team made it to the NCAA tourney and was the AEC champs. The SGA helped fund fan buses to travel to Binghamton and Raleigh to watch the team - there is something to do. I have never had a boring weekend at UMBC, especially since joining the rugby team. I believe its the people who never make an effort to get involved who remain the shut-ins that declare UMBC a boring campus.

-yes, classes are usually 30-100 students -Favorite = Philosophy, the teacher was hilarious. Worst = Fluid mechanics, teacher was horrible -Varies, some never study, some never do anything else -Class participation is common when teachers ask questions. Otherwise there is only 1 jackass in every class that will interrupt to ask a stupid question -Intellectual conversations happen outside the classroom -Students are fairly competitive - engineering projects, intramural sports, and unfortunately World of Warcraft -Scuba diving -My professors in the mech/E department are for the most part nice and approachable, but some are grumpy old men. I've never just hung out with any professors. -UMBC used to have very high academic requirements, which have dropped a lot recently due to less applicants. With UMBC making the tourney I believe application rates will increase a lot, and thus the academic requirements will also increase back to normal -Getting a job, there is a Career Service Center which is constantly setting up job fairs, resume critques, mock interviews, etc

-Greek life is relatively popular. Rugby is by far the most organized and largest club sport on campus and turns out the largest crowds. I have been VP of the rugby club for almost a year and I have gained great leadership experience and was part of the team as it evolved from a screw-around club to the powerhouse it is today. We started a scholarship fund, began volunteering at an orphanage, held BBQ's for all of our home games, built bleachers for the club sports field, renovated the sports clubhouse, and the list goes on. -students usually close their doors -athletic events are getting very popular -guest speakers are not popular -theater is not so popular, but I don't run with that crowd so idk for sure -met my closest friends through rugby or partying -2am on a Tuesday I am doing some sort of hw, rarely will I might be drinking. Most often i will be sleeping -UMBC BBQ bash, rugby has a huge event with prizes, free Tshirts, etc. RAC in BLACK is for the basketball team's opening season. -Depends on who you know. Some people party every day and normally fail. Some party on weekends and have straight As. Some never party and just hang out. Some never do anything but play WoW. -Personally I don't think greek life is important. You pay lots of money to drink beer with your 'bros'. Once in a blue moon a frat will throw a big party which is always appreciated but that hasn't happened in months. -Last weekend I was home for Easter. The weekend before I was in Savannah, GA for a rugby tournament and to partake in the nations largest St. Patricks Day celebration -Watch a movie in a lecture hall, play pool, fingerpaint maybe? I'm not sure, I am a drinker -I live off campus, party off campus, eat off campus

All of my years here at UMBC I have heard people complain about campus is boring, there is nothing to do, there are never cool parties, sports programs suck, etc.

Nikki

The best thing about UMBC is its diversity and the sense of community created by the campus. Many students are approachable if not friendly. I feel like the size of its campus is just right for me. When I tell people that I go to UMBC, they assume that nothing fun or eventful happens on campus. I feel UMBC administration addresses big concerns with students directly, but I feel like there is still a lot of miscommunication between students and the administration at times. With recent events of UMBC basketball winning the conference, there is more school pride. Students often complain there is nothing to do on campus during the weekends. The one experience I will always remember is my membership of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority.

I do not believe many people would feel out of place at UMBC. UMBC is a diverse place that is accepting and welcoming of individuals from many different backgrounds.

Many students seem to be introverted, but not all students are asian or play video games. There are social activities on campus, they just aren't necessarily easy to find.

I know all of my professors' names this semester, but I haven't during previous semesters. My favorite class is political sociology because in it we discuss current events, past events and the social affects of them. I do not dislike any classes I am currently taking. Some students study all of the time and some students study only right before exams. Class participation is common in most classrooms and encouraged. The sociology and anthropology departments are helpful and encouraging. These two departments are informative, and if they do not have the answers they work to find them for me.

The most popular organizations on campus are cultural clubs and greek life. I am the Vice President of Operations of Delta Phi Epsilon. Joining DPhiE is one of the best decisions I have made in my life, and it has made me grow as an individual. DPhiE has also changed my first impressions of the social scene at UMBC and has inspired me to be more involved on campus. Athletic events do not get much support, and professors persuade students to attend guest speaker lectures by offering to give extra credit for attendance. If I am awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am hanging out with my sisters or studying. The only tradition that is prevalent in my mind is Quadmania. There are some people that party more than half of the weeek, and there are other students who do not party at all. Sororities and fraternities create a more unified community through community service, fundraising, and philanthropy events. Last weekend, I went to Good Friday service at church, and on Saturday I went to Easter service. I also spent time with my family and sisters. I can go bowling, go to Dave and Busters, watch a movie, eat, study, workout, and go to the mall on a Saturday night instead of drink.

They play World of Warcraft. They are asian. They are not social. Academics are very important.

Harper

Absolutely not!!! UMBC students are among the most spirited I have ever seen. They were some of the most excited students at the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Most of the freshman at UMBC are residents. Many of the current commuters live only a short drive from campus in the surrounding communities.

There is no school spirit at UMBC. UMBC is a commuter school.

Alex

The best thing about UMBC is the low crime, campus size, and dorms! I'd add a bigger gym, its a decent size but could use more space. I love the size never a 500 lecture course. People ask what is it sometimes, or where, they ask if i am into science or computers, or they go so does everyone always go home? I spend time with friends hanging out, at the gym (RAC), in other peoples rooms, in class, outside, at events and just around. We aren't in a town full of college kids and were a 10-15 min drive from baltimore and buses go there. You learn from others and trial and error who good professors are. generally administration is fine. I can't think of a controversy, ongoing i guess is a football team? There is an increasing school pride and I am proud to say I am part of it! We have pretty good sports and academics and its a great location. All the funny times with my room mate. We love to dress up randomly. Also this year in CAB (community actions board). The pond... More to do.. different food on weekends.

The school is very open to everything and very much wants you to be open and experience cultural different from your own. jeans and a Tee. Yes everyone interacts! Um jocks, random people, interfaith kids, more random people, me, more random people.. its a mix!

No and yes. Academics is HIGHLY valued, but our basketball team finished #1 in regular season for division 1 and has a chance to make it into the NCAA. There is PLENTY of stuff to do it just takes finding and getting involved. More just trying things. Sure bingo sounds lame.. until you get 5 friends to go and can win portable dvd playes, and guitar hero equipment. Sure that valentines day party or live clue sounds lame, until you go with someone and have memories and stories to tell for time to come. Its basically something to try. And yes currently a lot of students go home, but slowly that is changing!

I think all my professors know my name. My favorite class is child developmental psych (psych 200). The professor is an amazing teacher, the material is WELL organized and interesting. My least favorite was music 100. The music department seems to not have its act together. there is at ANY campus always at least one person studying... we might do a little extra at UMBC esp if taking science courses. Class participation is a must in a lot of smaller classes. I don't think it is a competitive i have to do better than you more i have to do better compared to ones self. Unique... hmmm I have had several. Its amazing but hard! I have started to go to office hours more often. the professors enjoy seeing your active engagement in the class and like that you care. Also a lot of them are nice and fun to talk to. (also there are good opportunities for undergrad research here (which is rare)). They aren't the easiest but it makes for a GOOD student. Its geared toward learning and sometimes you find more job based courses. The classes are really enjoyable!

Hypnosis is awesome. always have a decent block party. Quadmania always brings a well known musical artist to the school. LOTS of guest speakers and presentations and lots to do. lots of plays and all going on. On a tuesday well i sleep because im cranky otherwise! in dorms doors are open a lot! closet friends are room mates suite mates hall mates dorm mates class mates and peopel i know through them! people party more than people thing for UMBC. last weekend I had part of an inteview for a job, caught up on some sleep, and went into baltimore to B-Body Worlds. Saturday nights see a movie, SEB (students event board) almost ALWAYS has something going on. throw your own non drinking party (so much fun!)

Its a study school, No one is there on weekends, There is nothing to do.

Harper

Best thing about UMBC? The opportunity to start as a single student and make big changes. I would like to loosen some of the stricter requirements on maintaining a polished exterior, as I think it stifles student expression in some cases. I think the size (around 10K students) is perfect. "That's in College Park, right?" I spend a great deal of time in The Commons. Arbutus/Catonsville try to be a college town in some cases but they're really not quite there yet. The administration can be frustrating at times but I think that for the most part, it is staffed with people who are open-minded and genuinely interested in the well-being of the students. SAE fraternity getting severely punished over some rumored violations, prompting an inquiry into our student judicial processes. This semester our school pride has really been taking off. Everything about UMBC is unusual: the students, the opportunities to make big things happen, our flagship chess team. If you want to be just one of the crowd don't come to UMBC. I'm always going to remember my experiences with student government and how it helped to empower me to be able to effect change both on our campus and in the world around me. People often complain about the food (sucks), general class requirements (why?), not getting the grades they wanted (hmm), "there's nothing to do" (yeah right!).

We have so many different groups on campus, I have really been opened to different perspectives as a result of being involved in the campus community. I think just about any student can find what they are looking for at UMBC. But somebody who thinks college is a joke and isn't interested in devoting time to it isn't going to stay here very long. Most students wear whatever they had on the bed when they got up in the morning to class. Different types of students interact all the time because there are so many of them - you can't avoid it! One has nerds talking about online exploits, anime, and webcomics. Another consists of "artsy" students talking about US politics. Some science majors tell bio jokes. A group of roommates laughing. Most UMBC students are from Maryland and are upper-middle class, which reflects the financial background of the state. We struggle with some of the same apathy issues as the rest of the country, but the students who are involved are very involved. It's a college campus, I'd say most people are left. Lots of students talk about where they plan on going/how much they will make after graduation.

No! There are plenty of things to do on campus and one of UMBC's strengths are its differences between other schools. UMBC is a community of academically-minded individuals who are well-rounded. Even our athletics teams have some of the highest GPAs and are in difficult majors. If you are looking for regular binge drinking UMBC really isn't the right place for you.

I am in the largest major at UMBC so most of my classes are huge. In smaller classes all of my professors have known my name - also in large classes if I make the time to get to their office hours. My favorite class has been Developmental Biology with Dave Eisenmann - an interesting subject with an amazing professor. Cell biology sucked - both teachers couldn't use the lecture hall equipment and were boring as heck. There are some students studying somewhere constantly. Many people participate in class either by asking questions or using the electronic participation systems. We have a lot of people from diverse background, so even the everyday conversation can quickly turn into a very intellectual one. As a pre-med student, everybody around me is competitive. Any class with Joel Glasser is a guaranteed trip. Bio is huge, but there are some spectacular professors there. Make sure you get matched up with an adviser you can stand because you'll have to go through them to make a lot of things happen. I sometimes spend time with professors outside of class but usually in venues related to academics. There are a few I might be inviting to my wedding. UMBC's academic requirements are pretty solid, I think. Education at UMBC focuses on encouraging students to excel.

South Asian Students Association, Go Club, intramural sports. Student Government has been amazing as I have had the opportunity to really advocate for my fellow students and change things on the campus for the better. In general, people leave their doors open in the residence halls. This year we've been packing the arena for the men's basketball games. Speakers and theater are popular as well. We're pretty close to 50:50 so you've got a good shot - chances are the people you meet are going to be smart in some way. I met my closest friends through classes and doing homework together afterward, as well as people who lived on my dorm floor. Probably on the computer and talking to my roommates. Homecoming, some cultural events, Quadmania (school carnival). There are parties going on if you know the right people and where to look, but generally I'd say there is less of that than at other schools. It depends on what you're looking for in your college experience. Greek life is pretty active here but they don't have their own housing options. Visited my fiancee, edited some video footage for SGA, and went in to work. You can visit Baltimore, watch the campus movie, hang out with your friends playing Guitar Hero...

UMBC is boring, everybody goes home on the weekends, we're a commuter school, there's nothing to do on campus, college park is better, the food sucks, everybody's a nerd

Connie

The best thing -- there's green all over campus, which is nice especially in the spring. One thing I'd change -- the institutional-brick architecture. It's like a campus of cardboard boxes (except kind of reddish). Size -- a little big, but then I'm slightly agoraphobic. Spend time on campus -- in class, or walking to class. Living in the dorms means I get a lot of daily exercise. College town -- Arbutus is the only place in walking distance. It's good to make friends with upperclassmen who drive, so you can at least get to Catonsville or Ellicott City. Administration -- paperwork, paperwork, paperwork! But nice people. Recent controversy -- none that I'm aware of, but I don't really pay attention. School pride -- it depends on what group you're in. Memorable experience -- the annual Drag Show last May. Pretty flaming awesome. Hopefully this year's is even better! Most frequent student complaints -- not enough parking/too many cars. Also, people claim the food sucks, but I've had worse. Heck, I've cooked worse.

Groups on campus -- I'm on the executive board of the UMBC Freedom Alliance, UMBC's LGBT rights group, and I know for a fact that we're pretty darn awesome. Almost all the other groups I've talked to are pretty welcoming. The martial arts clubs foster a great learning environment, the religious groups are mostly friendly. Each major also has a council of students who organize related events and provide support, connections and resources for students. If someone feels out of place at UMBC, they probably feel out of place everywhere else, too -- there's a niche for everyone. Clothes -- It may seem that anything goes, and technically it does, but a lot of professors poke fun at students who wear, for example, pajamas to class. Dining hall -- there's always someone sitting by themself in a corner. There's a loud table of sports buddies, whose scholarships place them a stone's throw away from the dining hall, in Potomac. Late at night on Thursdays there's usually a gay table. Early in the morning, a few early birds have coffee and breakfast together. Most UMBC students are from Maryland; a reasonably arge number are from other states and some few are international students. Financial background -- middle class. Some are paying for their own education. Students are not nearly as politically active as they should be; the upcoming election has galvanized a lot of people the know more about what's going on. College students today live in a sort of bubble, that's just starting to pop. I don't know a lot of conservatives, but then again I usually sit at the gay table... Earn -- no one really knows. Maybe a grad student could answer that better. I know I'll be making $6-12 an hour, because that's what freelance theatre work pays.

Yes. No one stays here on weekends, and the chess team has a better record than all the physical sports teams.

Name recognition depends on class size, and whether you make a name for yourself, and also the professor. Some of them don't remember you from one day to the next; some remember hundreds. Favorite class -- theatre makeup, partly because the instructor is a little crazy and partly because we made wax noses yesterday. Study habits -- depends on the people. Some do nothing but study, some never study. Class participation -- in theory required;in practice required only if the instructor notices you're not participating or has an objective system of determining whether you are. Students -- the smart ones have intellectual discussions. Theatre is a less competitive major than most (the production side, anyway) partly because a show is a group effort. I know a few people who all but have betting pools on who will fail out first, though. Most unique --see above; favorite. Major/department -- see above, competitiveness. Spend time with professors outside of class -- not really. Academic requirements -- somewhat nebulous and often confusing. Education -- I like learning for its own sake and I know my skills will land me a job. I don't really worry about what the classes are geared towards; a diploma is just a piece of paper anyway.

There are a few general organizations that everyone knows about that have events almost every week. The only group I've been consistently involved in all three years is the UMBC Freedom Alliance, which has weekly meetings and small events throughout the years, as well as larger, campus-wide crazy fun events for National Coming Out Day Week in October, Transgender Day of Remembrance in November, World AIDS Day in December, Pride Week and the Day of Silence in April, and a drag show in May. We're UMBC's connection to outside activism and a supportful community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and ally community on campus. Athletic events -- the only reason anyone would ever stay here on a weekend. Guest speakers are pretty popular when well advertised; last fall's second theatre production, "Threepenny Opera," was sold out every night. Yearly campus events include Involvement Fest, which is basically an organization fair for new students to find organizations they're interested in and is held in the beginning of each semester; and Quadmania, a small-scale carnival type of thing. The amount of partying depends on your group of friends, but there's always something somewhere. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably finishing a project for class or out somewhere with friends. Fraternities/sororities sometimes have bake sales. That's about all I know about them. Last weekend I was working. When I'm off campus, I'm working. If it's Saturday and I'm not drinking, I'm working. Or maybe sleeping.

That despite having on-campus housing, we're a commuter school. That we don't have sports.

Avah

It is different than a lot of other colleges. It has only been around for a few years and has the potential to become something great. We need to work on improving the campus attitude as a whole. Many students feel unsatisfied and want it to be more of a college town. Im very satisfied with the size and once i tell people i go to UMBC, they assume I couldnt get into College park and love to study. One of the major problems on our campus is school pride. Students dont seem to be proud of going to UMBC

Students who have grown up in a primarily white community would feel left out. Yes UMBC is known for its diversity but it is an array of cultures put in one environment and shoved down everyones throat. Having many cultures at one location doesnt make you diverse, the come together of cultures and interacting with each other does. SOmething UMBC needs to work towards.

UMBC is more academically oriented but there are many opportunities to party and have a good social life like a regular college kid. It is also very diverse, but in a different sense. There are many different cultures present, but similar ones form their own groups, which is human. But something we need to work towards changing.

SEB is very very popular. They plan all sorts of events for the school. If youre looking for a party you can find one. You have to go out of your way to look for them sometimes but there is always something to do on campus.

UMBC students are nerds who love chess and have no social life. Most students only attend UMBC because they couldn't get into College Park. Also that it is primarily an oriental school.

Benjamin

UMBC's location is one of the greatest things about it. It takes less than 10 minutes to get to downtown Baltimore and only about half an hour to get to Washington D.C. UMBC has its own exit on Route 195 and is immediately accesible from both the Baltimore beltway (695) and the 95 interstate. UMBC also offers a shuttle service that runs downtown, to the Arundel Mills mall and to the neighborhoods surrounding campus on a daily basis. UMBC is a very liberal school. There are student organizations and groups willing to express and represent any sort of political, religious or philosophical leaning you might have. Tolerance is pretty much the highest virtue. Students interested in organizations have a great resource through the Office of Student Life. Student organizations can apply for funding from the student government association, are qualified as non-profit organizations for charity purposes, have access to professional sound, video, catering, management, and security personel amoung other perks. If you have good highschool grades, AP credit and/or good SAT scores, you'll probably get a scholarship from UMBC. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships on campus give out lots and lots of money to lure prospective freshman but if you receive an award, be sure to keep your grades up. Scholarships require a 3.00 or 3.25 cumulative GPA maintenance depending on the award.

My experience has been that just about every group possible is represented at UMBC. A large computer science program means lots of nerdy kids. Division I athletics provide a fairly large representation of jocks. Lots of preppy kids join fraternities and sorrorities. However, most students at UMBC defy such petty pidgeonholing. You will be sure to meet lots of truly individual people.

Most of UMBC's students are pursuing majors in biology, biochemistry, mechanical engineering and computer science which are truly demanding. Sucess in any college requires dedication to school work so it shouldn't be surprising that the most committed students don't have much time for the Animal House college experience. However, there are always parties to be found on campus so its usually just a matter of knowing the right people. Although UMBC academics are most often represented by the school's engineering and science programs, the fine arts and music departments also offer fine programs and knowledgable professional faculty. UMBC is truly a very diverse school. I'm constantly amazed by the variety of ethnicities and backgrounds students come from.

Academics at UMBC are held to a high standard. Professors are generally very interested in their field of study and interested in sharing what they know with their students. Many freshman courses are held in large lecture hall students which afford students little face-to-face time with their professors but as students declare majors and join departments it becomes much easier to gain a personal knowledge with their professors. Education at UMBC is very much geared towards job placement. There is an office on campus called the Shriver Center that schedules job fairs and brings employers to the campus to conduct interviews. They also manage a database of employers with internship or entry-level job opportunities.

Living on campus is the most important thing freshman students can do to enhance the rest of their college experience and ensure that they are engaged in campus events and with other students throughout the rest of their college experience. Living in the dormitories on campus is a great experience because it gives you the opportunity to mingle with other people who are new to the scene. The Student Events Board is a campus organization (mostly comprised of students) that offers all kinds of social activities on a daily basis. These have included concerts, carnivals, games nights, movies on the big screen and other events. Quadmania, their biggest event of the year is held each spring. Quadmania is an all day carnival featuring food, carnival rides and games, prizes, giveaways and promotions. The festival concludes with a concert in the Retriever Activity Center fieldhouse featuring a national touring act. Past shows have headlined Taking Back Sunday, Kanye West, All American Rejects, and T Pain. Individual departments and student organizations also promote their independent efforts (theater, speakers, concerts) that often cater to a more selective audience. UMBC has a Mardi Gras themed pub featuring a selection of beer on tap. In addition to providing drinks, Flat Tuesdays also has a stage and soundboard for hosting musical acts. If your not old enough to drink at the pub, you can easily find a party on a Friday or Saturday night or any other night of the week for that matter. Everyone plays beer pong.

UMBC is often characterized as a comuter school whose students would rather spend there time clocking hours in the school library instead of partying, going out for a night on the town or engaging in other social activities. UMBC is also known predominantly for its technical programs. UMBC students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.