Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Katherine

It had the programs I wanted, at a price I could afford and with abeautiful awesome campus. What else could I ask for?

The main thing I would drill into my younger selfs head is the value of saving every dollar you can. I grew up very very poor and when I got my own money I went a little nuts and now I regret it. I paid my bills and paid my own way but I didn't save like I should have. I would tell my former self "No you really dont need those shoes and no you don't need that new TV. What you do need is a ton of money to help your family pay for the massive bill that is looming over our heads right now to pay for my school." I regret not saving more but I've learned my lesson now and I value money now more than ever before. I'm thankful for places and people who offer scholarships to those students, like me who are struggling to find a way to pay for their furture. Scholarships can be hard work and can even be hard to find, but so rewarding. Thats the other thing I would tell myself. Start looking for them sooner and get them in place as soon as you can.

The spirit of the school is utterly amazing. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I went on a visit, not really very interested in going to UNK but I left totally in love with the place. It has amazing energy

Makenzi

The students are extremely nice and open to talk to new people. I toured a school in New York, and didn't have nearly as welcoming of an experience as I did at UNK.

If I could give my high school self advice, I would say to get ahead on reading assignments and dedicate as much time towards my studies during the week as possible, in order to have weekends mostly free for socializing with peers. I would also share that college is much more beneficial when you have an open mind to any and all information that is new to me. Absorb as much information as possible, but ask a lot of questions. Make the professor go into detail and challenge them to truly expand the knowledge the class. Also, when the opportunity to speak in class arises, participate. Spark discussions and debates, but do not shoot down the opposition. Appreciate and respect their point of view, but do the same for your own. This is an opportunity to explore uncharted territory for yourself and others, so take advantage of that. My last piece of advice would be to take any and all classes that spark my interest. You never know what conversation might change your future, so take advantage of having control of your class schedule! Small decisions cause big changes!

Currently there is a lot of construction going on. It's great for the school, but a little inconvenient for getting around campus.

Laurann

Being a high school senior was hectic, but being a college freshman came as a shock. If I could go back and tell myself what NOT to do, my freshman year of college would have gone much smoother. I would have told myself to ALWAYS ask for help when I need it instead of putting it off—another great thing they don’t teach you when you’re preparing for college- -how to avoid procrastination. My senior self couldn’t see it, she thought it wouldn’t be that hard not to procrastinate—boy was she wrong! If I had a nickel for every time I put something off, I wouldn’t need scholarships. My senior-self said I’d get involved on campus, my college freshman-self said otherwise, lazy- - do as little as possible. With finishing my first year of college, my advice for my senior-self would have been to use the resources provided for me, get involved, and most importantly, do work now and have fun later!

All the services available to students, such as: free tutoring, the writing center.

Someone who doesn't seek help with a class when they need it.

Danya

It is in a college friendly town and it is small enough that you don't know everyone, but you could. There is a bit of drinking, but not much on campus. The town is growing so there are alot of new store opening and Kearney is the burth place of the Buckle and are always hiring. The university is small, but it has some of the best teachers in Nebraska.

Go to a community college for two years to get the general studies done and then go to a university. I wouldn't have the friends I do now, but I wouldn't have so much trouble with money. I would also say read the fine print and read it again. I missed so much just skimming over documents and readings that I didn't get the full feel of the class.

The person that should go here is a person that knows what they want to do. I think that they should get their Gen eds done at a comunity college and then go this college. It is cheeper that way. If you are serious about school, then this is the place for you. The have a wonderful nursing program, and teaching program. This is what they are known for.

Lindsey

I would say the school is probably best know for it's ability to get to know each student individually. It is small enough that students get the attention they need and it is easy to get involved on campus.

I would advise myself to soak in as much as possible from every moment. I would say to take a philosphy course right away. Not to gain all of the hisotrical information, but because it helps a person think through their worldview and adjust as needed. My philosphy courses gave me a great grasp on who I was as an individual and how I looked at the world. Once I knew those important things, I was able to also change some of the ways I thought. My philosophy courses weally helped pave the way for the rest of my college career, and even life afterword.

I definitely brag most about my instructors. The instructors at the school were amazing. I didn't have one that I didn't learn from or appreciate. They were great at helping me learn and also helping to develop my own personal skills and talents to ensure my success after graduation.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to apply for any scholarship that I could find. Unfortunately when I was a senior in high school, I did not know too much about scholarships or really care about them if I were to know more about them. Now, as a sophomore in college, it really angers me that I did not take the time to try and find out more information about them. Now, here I am, just now applying for scholarships and applying for almost any that I can find hoping I can win at least one.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definantely tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and keep applying because you're bound to win at least of them. Also take dual credit classes to get the basics out of the way. By taking the dual credit classes it would cut down on some of the classes I would need to take and save a little money. taking summer classes at the local community college is cheap and the classes transfer to the major universities so the focus can go to the classes that count toward my major. Being invovled in school is very important as well. Do not wait until senior year to go and join organizations. Start as early as possible, this helps with networking. And most of all start looking into schools and majors around Sophomore year.

Jenna

I would tell myself to trust in yourself that you can do anything you set your mind to. I would tell myself that you need to cherish this last year of high school. You need to try different clubs and talk to everyone. You need to make many friends and know that changing your major is perfectly fine. I would tell myself to try my best that is all you can do. I would tell myself that it is perfectly fine to go to a tutor for help and be sure to email your teachers when you need help. I would tell myself to make sure you make an impact on teachers and be sure to get to know them in some way, so that you have people to write letters of recommendations when you need them. I would tell myself that it goes by much faster than you would ever think and each semester it gets even more real that you will be in the real world very soon. I would tell myself to remember that times can be hard but everything gets better.

I wish I knew the different options of majors and the different options of extra curicular options.

The most frustrating thing about my school os that every teacher has different ideas and rules. They each do their own things. Some teachers give very challenging tests and other teachers don't give tests. It is frustrating that they can teach the same class and do completely different things.

Jamie

If I was still in high school, I would tell myself that I need to be more open about things going into college and take more opportunities when they are presented to me. I would tell myself that college classes can be hard and I need to study a lot more and be commited. I would tell myself that you need a high GPA to go to graduate school. I would also tell myself that I need to not worry so much about money and have fun in college and be myself, make memories and not look back and say all I did in college was sit there and had no friends. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because I'm going to need them so I don't have a ton of loans.

There are lots of opportunities to get involved. It is also a small enough campus that you have professors that remember your name and who you are and will talk to you when they see you.

The most fustrating thing would be advisors and some of the ways they do things. You can never get a straight forward answer they rush through everything and really don't help you when you need it.

Jordan

I would tell myself to apply for any and every scholarship available. School gets expensive.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.