Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Lindsey

I would say the school is probably best know for it's ability to get to know each student individually. It is small enough that students get the attention they need and it is easy to get involved on campus.

I would advise myself to soak in as much as possible from every moment. I would say to take a philosphy course right away. Not to gain all of the hisotrical information, but because it helps a person think through their worldview and adjust as needed. My philosphy courses gave me a great grasp on who I was as an individual and how I looked at the world. Once I knew those important things, I was able to also change some of the ways I thought. My philosophy courses weally helped pave the way for the rest of my college career, and even life afterword.

I definitely brag most about my instructors. The instructors at the school were amazing. I didn't have one that I didn't learn from or appreciate. They were great at helping me learn and also helping to develop my own personal skills and talents to ensure my success after graduation.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to apply for any scholarship that I could find. Unfortunately when I was a senior in high school, I did not know too much about scholarships or really care about them if I were to know more about them. Now, as a sophomore in college, it really angers me that I did not take the time to try and find out more information about them. Now, here I am, just now applying for scholarships and applying for almost any that I can find hoping I can win at least one.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definantely tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and keep applying because you're bound to win at least of them. Also take dual credit classes to get the basics out of the way. By taking the dual credit classes it would cut down on some of the classes I would need to take and save a little money. taking summer classes at the local community college is cheap and the classes transfer to the major universities so the focus can go to the classes that count toward my major. Being invovled in school is very important as well. Do not wait until senior year to go and join organizations. Start as early as possible, this helps with networking. And most of all start looking into schools and majors around Sophomore year.

Jenna

I would tell myself to trust in yourself that you can do anything you set your mind to. I would tell myself that you need to cherish this last year of high school. You need to try different clubs and talk to everyone. You need to make many friends and know that changing your major is perfectly fine. I would tell myself to try my best that is all you can do. I would tell myself that it is perfectly fine to go to a tutor for help and be sure to email your teachers when you need help. I would tell myself to make sure you make an impact on teachers and be sure to get to know them in some way, so that you have people to write letters of recommendations when you need them. I would tell myself that it goes by much faster than you would ever think and each semester it gets even more real that you will be in the real world very soon. I would tell myself to remember that times can be hard but everything gets better.

I wish I knew the different options of majors and the different options of extra curicular options.

The most frustrating thing about my school os that every teacher has different ideas and rules. They each do their own things. Some teachers give very challenging tests and other teachers don't give tests. It is frustrating that they can teach the same class and do completely different things.

Jamie

If I was still in high school, I would tell myself that I need to be more open about things going into college and take more opportunities when they are presented to me. I would tell myself that college classes can be hard and I need to study a lot more and be commited. I would tell myself that you need a high GPA to go to graduate school. I would also tell myself that I need to not worry so much about money and have fun in college and be myself, make memories and not look back and say all I did in college was sit there and had no friends. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because I'm going to need them so I don't have a ton of loans.

There are lots of opportunities to get involved. It is also a small enough campus that you have professors that remember your name and who you are and will talk to you when they see you.

The most fustrating thing would be advisors and some of the ways they do things. You can never get a straight forward answer they rush through everything and really don't help you when you need it.

Jordan

I would tell myself to apply for any and every scholarship available. School gets expensive.

Jamie

I would tell myself to prepare to study, and not the kind of studying I was doing in high school. Now that I am in college I participate in multiple study groups, take advantage of the schools help center and spend hours and hours each night with my nose in a book. I would also tell myself that I need to get more organized. Starting college has really helped me organize my life. It starting by keeping a planner so I knew when assignments were due, what dates exams were. Then I started adding in personal appointments, important dates and so on. Keeping a planner has made all the difference in keeping everything together. Last I would make sure to tell myself to always make school your priority. When I was in high school school tended to take the back burner to my job and my social life. I with I would have done things differently back then. School is what sets you up for success in the rest of your life.

Blair

Making the transition from high school senior to college life, especially being a quiet school focused child, brings a list of challenges. Aside from the classes, activities, and stress, the one piece of advice I would give my high school self is to take time out to relax and soak in the moment of accomplishment. I spent my first year of college focused on class and studying. I did not go to any parties, any school events, or never even took out time to make new friends. It was not until now getting close to graduation I realized I missed some of the fun freshman experiences I hear others talk about. So to my high school self, I say take your time, enjoy your self because these are the once in a lifetime years you can never get back. School is and always will be a priority but college will not be a fondest memory without those leisure once in a lifetime moments.

Heather

UNK is more of a Teacher Education school were as the other schools which I considered were more for Agriculture or other degrees. You were able to get a Teacher Education degree but UNK focuses more on helping students interested in the area obtain their degree.

If I could go back, I would tell myself that it is going to take time to adjust to the life of being away from home. Take it one day at a time and if you need help don't be afraid to ask, whether it is with school work, roommate, or just missing home talk with someone who can trust. I would also tell myself that you will work hard in school and on your school work but also be make time to have some fun, and to not just sit around in the dorm. Get out and experience life of a college student! Make sure you are aware of what you want to study but don't be afraid to take risks and maybe change the direction of your career to make you comfortable. Last but not least, just have fun and make sure to get out and spread your wings; meet new people and try not to under any conditions be afraid to make a mistake.

A person who is interested in being involved and wants to get involved with activities in and around the school.

Joshua

I don’t feel much different from my high school self, but five minutes of reflection would reveal how different I am. Needless to say I’ve made mistakes on occasion, but I’ve kept my GPA up around the 4.0 mark and I’ve stayed focused on school, but I’d love to be able to give experience to my former self. If I could tell my high school self anything I would be fairly straightforward with myself. I would have told myself to watch who I spend time with. That there are people who (somehow, usually because of financial privilege) legitimately do not care about college. They don’t go to class. They don’t care about rules or laws. They don’t have any direction in life. The old Spanish proverb “Tell me who you walk with, and I will tell you who you are” comes to mind. It’s fair to say that to some extent, no matter how much an individual can try to stay above it all there’s only so much you can do. My biggest advice would be along those lines I think something like that would have helped beyond belief.

There's a huge alcohol culture here. It's bad. Even though the laws for MIP are the toughest in the state, the drinking culture here is such that when a party off campus is busted by police, no one ever gets carded, they all simply get thrown out and go to the next party. Drunks roam the streets at all hours of the night on weekends.

I usually have smaller classes (less than twenty other students), my professors are simply amazing, my dormatory is nice and the people in it are generally friendly people. I get great value for my money here, though it often runs short. It's really easy to make friends here and feel at home.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.