Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

Katelyn

There are a lot more opportunities in my major as an undergraduate student than at the other schools I considered. For example, I am given the opportunity to run my own research project whereas most universities don't offer that, and students must wait until they are graduate students. This unique opportunity helps build my resume for Graduate school and sets me appart from other applicants.

No matter what, put yourself out there. Be brave, let your personality shine through and meet as many people as you possibly can. Remember who you are and don't let attempts to fit in change the person you are meant to be. Prop your door open, especially the first week, so others in your building know you are an open person and want to meet them. Bring multiple, stackable crates for organization purposes. Communicate openly with your roommate, nothing gets solved if you both bottle up issues that can be easily sorted out. Also understand that you each need your space sometimes, and respect that. Within the first week, get into a comfortable routine and stick to it so you don't become overwhelmed or get behind. Call Mom and Dad, they miss you and as busy as you might be, you will miss them too. Write letters to friends and family, because keeping those connections is important and getting mail brightens any day. Never let someone get you down, and remember that even though not every day is good, there is good in every day and you are so incredibly blessed to be where you are. Keep smiling.

Before attending the University of Nebraska at Kearney, I wish I had known how often other people went home on the weekends. As I live more than five hours away, going home is not always an option, and I wish I had known that staying on the weekends is not all that common.

There are a few things that I would share with myself as a senior. I was pretty shy in high school and wasn't very good at speaking up or talking to new people. I learned quickly that you have to put some of that behind you and just go for it. There are going to be a lot more people at college than in high school and you have to put yourself out there and try new things and that's ok. It's fun too! You have to be willing to get involved and meet new people in a lot of areas. Also, you have to keep an open mind. There are a lot of new and different things that you will be exposed to, both good and bad. Just be open to all the wonderful oppertunites you have at this time. There are so many things that you won't get a chance to do again. So take full advantage of what's to come. And the last thing is what everyone tells seniors, but it's true so I must say it too. Read your textbooks. They help tremendously and will do you good.

Personally, I think that the size of the school is the best thing. It's big enough that you can meet a huge variety of people and can truly choose what groups you want to be in and who you want to hang out with. But yet it's small enough to build relationships with professors and advisors. The classes are small enough to have the close knit interaction and one on one time with the teacher. I really think that its the perfect size and is very benneficial for students.

UNK is a really great facility and they have a lot to offer, but the food isn't all that great. In my opinion, I think there should be at least one thing in the cafeteria that is there everyday that could be a go to food if nothing else seemed good. Also, the other places that you could use a meal transfer don't have very many options to pick from. It seems like they are always trying some new way to work out the kinks but they just haven't figured out what works well yet.

Kimberly

It is a school filled with a lot of diversity inlcuding international students.

It is a school filled with a lot of diversity inlcuding international students.

The best advice I would give myself is to not declar a major right away as I go into college. I would advise myself to just take general education classes first and then declare a major. It would have saved me a lot of money and time. Another advice I would have given myself is to start saving money early as soon as I was able to get a good part-time job, I should have started saving right then and there. Also to apply to as many scholarships available to me.

Parking lots are probably the worst thing about the University of Nebraska at Kearney. The parking space we have is very limited and there are certain zones you can park with if you have that particular parking permit. I have had to park four or five blocks away sometimes because of the lack of parking space.

When packing think about every item, do you need it? Are you sure? Have you used it in the last month? Think again. Don't be afraid to get involved right away on campus. Groups are waiting for new members, they are fun, a lot more fun than homework.

The small classe allow for a better connection with the teachers.

The number of international students and how diverse campus is.

UNK is a very tight-knit community kind of school, very comfortable and easy to get into.

"Save more money!" That would definitely be the first piece of advice I'd give to my past self. I had to get my car fixed and pay for gas, but half of each pay check went to food for lunch most days. I'd tell myself to go home or pack a lunch, and save all the money I can before the summer, because summer didn't go as I had planned it to. Maybe I'd tell myself to study a little harder, because getting my GPA up a little bit might not only help me academically, but it would boost my confidence level. Going into a pre-med major, I need all the confidence I can get right now. The last, and most important, piece of advice I'd give, though, is to just relax and let go of all my worries. "College life will be the time of your life, girl. Chill out and stop worrying." I doubt I'd take that advice, but it's the best I could give myself.

The classes are so small, and everyone is so nice, that your teachers WILL know you're name. That can be a really good thing, but it could also be bad, depending on the kind of student you are. Other than that, UNK has been a great school so far.

Meghan

Before attending the University of Nebraska at Kearney, I wish I would have valued my extra time more than I did and put it to greater use. Now that I have attained my Bachelor's degree and am working full-time while attending graduate school full-time, I look back and wish I would have volunteered more and realized that while receiving a quality education from UNK, I wish I would have given back to others as much as UNK gave to me.

Education is not limited to a specific type of person. I believe that any university of college, and in this case, the University of Nebraska at Kearney, has opportunities for everyone....opportunities that can help a student fulfill his or her own potential while pursuing a career in an area they love. There are often people who have felt as though they are not "college material" but college is a time of self-discovery and paving your way to success, regardless of your background or previous experiences.

Everyone changes their college major at least once throughout the course of their college carrer. It's okay if you don't know exactly what you want to do with your life, go in as undecided and take classes to learn what interests you most. From there decide which direction you want to take your life in. The transition into college isn't overly difficult, but be prepared to miss home. Save money so you don't have to work as much in college, that way you can participate in extra-curricular activities more. Study hard and pay attention to deadlines, late work isn't really accpeted in college. First tests are generally the worst of the whole semester, don't panic if you don't do as well as you normally do. Most of all: have fun your college years are suppose to be the best years.

The worst thing about this school is that at times it felt like teachers were more willing to go out of their way for athletes who missed class than students who were sick or struggling. I understand that students have a tendency to just skip class but that's not always the case.

If you like anonymity I would not attend this school. UNK seems like a big school but it's really not and after a few years, everyone starts to know everyone.

Troy

My classmates are cooperative, hardworking, and motivated to improve their education.

College life has taught me to manage a daily schedule in order to balance sports, classes, organizations, and other extra curricular activities. In high school I relied on my fellow peers to help me out with homework. College education does not allow for this to happen, as a student you solely have to apply yourself to your work in order to maintain a good grade. To sum it up, I would advise any senior to develop a study pattern that works well with their schedule in order to receive the best grade possible.

I personally think that the cafeteria could serve the students a better variety of foods that will attribute to student athletes.

The University of Nebraska at Kearney is a fun enviroment to be involved in and is full of fun and crative people.

It is very diverse and all the students get along. We are very into out varsity sports, mostly football, volleyball, and wrestling. There are many clubs and activities to join and many people to meet. The classes are not very big, thirty students at most in one classroom. The campus is just big enough to fit every student and it doesn't take long to walk to any class. The teachers are very friendly and are willing to help students if need be. The exersice equipment is very well kept and is available to everyone.

The advice I would give myself if I could go back in time would be make sure I study and stay on top of homework. Make sure I never give up on the things I love to do,like band and choir. To join more activities on campus and to make a bunch of new friends because having a good social life along with doing great in school is very important. I would also tell myself that I need to figure out finacial issues and fine finacial stability as soon as possible, because it is not a good thing to be stressing over your finances and school work at the same time. Another thing I would tell myself is not to pack and bring my whole room to the dorms at once. There is not enough room for it all if you have a roommate that does the same thing. There will always be time to go home on the weekends and holidays to switch out items.

Cassandra

If you need help there is always someone there, that's how great my classmates are.

I would tell myself that make sure and you don't procrastonate. Do things in a timely manner and don't put off doing something because it does not sound fun. Things will not always seem like fun but it is better to get the boring and required stuff out of the way so you make sure you get the reqirements done. Also don't be a hermit crab. Make sure and get out and live a little. Introduce yourself to new people and make friends. These people will be a major help in the transition into your college life.

I brag about how the teachers are always there for you. If need help they are great about working with you to make sure you are understanding the lesson.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.