Kearney, NE
University of Nebraska at Kearney

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Kearney

I would tell myself that I should've saved all the money I possibly could have for college. I wouldn't have spent any money so I wouldn't have to take out as many loans. I would also make myself realize that college isn't nothing like high school. You are responisbile for your own education and responsible for attending class and passing it. The teachers here care whether you are in class or not, but they can't force you to be there. I've noticed the teacher will help you, if you ask for help. They want you to succeed and do great, but you have to be willing to and try to as well.

The worst thing is the cost to attend. I had to take out many loans to pay for school, just for my first year. I know it's only going to get worse and I can't afford it. I should have taken a speech online course this semester but it costs a lot more than a regular course and I can't afford that.

The most frusterrating thing is how much it costs to take online courses. I have a fainting problem and needed to take a online speech class because I can't afford to keep seeing the heart doctor but I had to drop that course because I couldn't afford it.

Brittanee

Brittanee, remember to always follow your heart. College has so much to offer, and you will come to times where you feel the need to change your path and that is okay, every single time. But when you find what is truly right, you will feel it. Embrace it, and work your hardest to succeed at whatever it is. College will not be easy, but so long as you’re continually working your hardest, you’ll never fail. You’re going to get goosebumps when you graduate from High School. Strive for those goosebumps as you seek college graduation. Never forget that college is a place where you’re dreams are only going to be strengthened. Put a stamp on the hearts of others and always stay involved. You’re going to love the people, the places, and the opportunities it will continually provide. Keep an open mind and appreciate every moment. Don’t hesitate to ask for help. That’s what the professors and resources are there for. The going will get tough, but never give up and always remember that YOU CAN DO IT.

The best thing about the University of Nebraska at Kearney is its size. It's not too big and not to small. Every aspect of it is personal; the classes, the involvement, the organizations, etc. It's a good feeling to know that professors know you by name, classmates remember you each year, and you have the ability and time to make great friends whom you know will be in your life after graduation. It's been very beneficial in my success not only with course work, but with all my involvement on and off campus.

To attend the University of Nebraska at Kearney you need to keep an open mind. You'll be introduced to a variety of areas of study, ethnicities, and activities. If you've lived in a shell, it's time to come out. At this school, almost everyone strives to form the "home away from home," almost like a second family. The professors encourage not only academic success, but involvement int the community and on campus. College is a whole new ballpark but the University of Nebraska at Kearney welcomes all with arms wide open.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself not to panic. In the months, weeks, and days before starting college, I panicked a lot. I panicked about anything and everything that I could. My biggest worry was that I would not be able to keep up with the school work in college along with working a part time job. In high school, my teachers always piled on assignment after assignment, and would say something like, "When in college you will need to know how to balance all of the school work your professors throw at you". That statement always made me worry. I knew that in college we wouldn't have the same calsses everyday, so I thought my school work was going to be even bigger and harder than it was in high school. Now that I am in college, I know that since we don't spend a whole day in classes, unlike high school, we have that extra time to spend working a job and doing homework assignments. I actually enjoy the college life, and there really was no reason for me to panic.

I like the size of the campus best because, to me, it feels big, but it's not overwhelmingly big. I think it is a comfortable size for a unniversity campus.

I think the on campus parking is most frustrating. I paid for a permit, but yet I still have to walk a somewhat far distance because all of the close parking spots fill up first.

Brooke

Reflecting on what I have learned from the past two years at my current college, I would have plenty of advice to give myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself that choosing Early Childhood Education was the right major choice, even though they may not be the highest paying careers. You will realize this, your first semester when you observe a three year old boy, Logan, whose parents have recently split up and acts out in the classroom. This will hit home to you, when you reflect on how you acted out when your parents split up when you were his age. Your fear of not seeing your friends from high school who were able to go away will be subsided when you see them every day during your breaks and visit them when you are able to. You will make friends at college despite the slacker stigma it has. These friends will help you grow and learn more about yourself in one semester than you ever thought you would. And lastly, remember that although attending your Community College wasn't your first college choice it will be turn out to be the right one.

Katelyn

There are a lot more opportunities in my major as an undergraduate student than at the other schools I considered. For example, I am given the opportunity to run my own research project whereas most universities don't offer that, and students must wait until they are graduate students. This unique opportunity helps build my resume for Graduate school and sets me appart from other applicants.

No matter what, put yourself out there. Be brave, let your personality shine through and meet as many people as you possibly can. Remember who you are and don't let attempts to fit in change the person you are meant to be. Prop your door open, especially the first week, so others in your building know you are an open person and want to meet them. Bring multiple, stackable crates for organization purposes. Communicate openly with your roommate, nothing gets solved if you both bottle up issues that can be easily sorted out. Also understand that you each need your space sometimes, and respect that. Within the first week, get into a comfortable routine and stick to it so you don't become overwhelmed or get behind. Call Mom and Dad, they miss you and as busy as you might be, you will miss them too. Write letters to friends and family, because keeping those connections is important and getting mail brightens any day. Never let someone get you down, and remember that even though not every day is good, there is good in every day and you are so incredibly blessed to be where you are. Keep smiling.

Before attending the University of Nebraska at Kearney, I wish I had known how often other people went home on the weekends. As I live more than five hours away, going home is not always an option, and I wish I had known that staying on the weekends is not all that common.

There are a few things that I would share with myself as a senior. I was pretty shy in high school and wasn't very good at speaking up or talking to new people. I learned quickly that you have to put some of that behind you and just go for it. There are going to be a lot more people at college than in high school and you have to put yourself out there and try new things and that's ok. It's fun too! You have to be willing to get involved and meet new people in a lot of areas. Also, you have to keep an open mind. There are a lot of new and different things that you will be exposed to, both good and bad. Just be open to all the wonderful oppertunites you have at this time. There are so many things that you won't get a chance to do again. So take full advantage of what's to come. And the last thing is what everyone tells seniors, but it's true so I must say it too. Read your textbooks. They help tremendously and will do you good.

Personally, I think that the size of the school is the best thing. It's big enough that you can meet a huge variety of people and can truly choose what groups you want to be in and who you want to hang out with. But yet it's small enough to build relationships with professors and advisors. The classes are small enough to have the close knit interaction and one on one time with the teacher. I really think that its the perfect size and is very benneficial for students.

UNK is a really great facility and they have a lot to offer, but the food isn't all that great. In my opinion, I think there should be at least one thing in the cafeteria that is there everyday that could be a go to food if nothing else seemed good. Also, the other places that you could use a meal transfer don't have very many options to pick from. It seems like they are always trying some new way to work out the kinks but they just haven't figured out what works well yet.

Kimberly

It is a school filled with a lot of diversity inlcuding international students.

It is a school filled with a lot of diversity inlcuding international students.

The best advice I would give myself is to not declar a major right away as I go into college. I would advise myself to just take general education classes first and then declare a major. It would have saved me a lot of money and time. Another advice I would have given myself is to start saving money early as soon as I was able to get a good part-time job, I should have started saving right then and there. Also to apply to as many scholarships available to me.

Parking lots are probably the worst thing about the University of Nebraska at Kearney. The parking space we have is very limited and there are certain zones you can park with if you have that particular parking permit. I have had to park four or five blocks away sometimes because of the lack of parking space.

When packing think about every item, do you need it? Are you sure? Have you used it in the last month? Think again. Don't be afraid to get involved right away on campus. Groups are waiting for new members, they are fun, a lot more fun than homework.

The small classe allow for a better connection with the teachers.

The number of international students and how diverse campus is.

UNK is a very tight-knit community kind of school, very comfortable and easy to get into.

"Save more money!" That would definitely be the first piece of advice I'd give to my past self. I had to get my car fixed and pay for gas, but half of each pay check went to food for lunch most days. I'd tell myself to go home or pack a lunch, and save all the money I can before the summer, because summer didn't go as I had planned it to. Maybe I'd tell myself to study a little harder, because getting my GPA up a little bit might not only help me academically, but it would boost my confidence level. Going into a pre-med major, I need all the confidence I can get right now. The last, and most important, piece of advice I'd give, though, is to just relax and let go of all my worries. "College life will be the time of your life, girl. Chill out and stop worrying." I doubt I'd take that advice, but it's the best I could give myself.

The classes are so small, and everyone is so nice, that your teachers WILL know you're name. That can be a really good thing, but it could also be bad, depending on the kind of student you are. Other than that, UNK has been a great school so far.

Meghan

Before attending the University of Nebraska at Kearney, I wish I would have valued my extra time more than I did and put it to greater use. Now that I have attained my Bachelor's degree and am working full-time while attending graduate school full-time, I look back and wish I would have volunteered more and realized that while receiving a quality education from UNK, I wish I would have given back to others as much as UNK gave to me.

Education is not limited to a specific type of person. I believe that any university of college, and in this case, the University of Nebraska at Kearney, has opportunities for everyone....opportunities that can help a student fulfill his or her own potential while pursuing a career in an area they love. There are often people who have felt as though they are not "college material" but college is a time of self-discovery and paving your way to success, regardless of your background or previous experiences.

University of Nebraska at Kearney administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.