Cedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Northern Iowa

Katherine

Focused and driven; it's impossible to call UNI students anything but thrilled to be here, and although we come in all shapes and sizes, we are all powered by a single goal: to succeed.

Of every experience in my entire life, college has been undoubtedly the most rewarding of them all. With less than twenty years under my belt, some might say that doesn't mean much, but to me it means everything. In attending my university, not only have I picked up on life skills and social cues - skills that the world today is lacking in general - but I learned from the people around me and the course curriculum exactly who I can be if I'm willing to try. Most importantly, I've learned that success is not just a goal, but a process, and the more effort you put into what's critical to you, the more you'll get out of it. There's no doubt in my mind that my life has been changed for the better because of the time I've spent at university, and all I can do it pay it forward.

The beautiful campus and how well it's maintained, as well as the fantastic events going on at any given time; there's never a moment of boredom on campus, and there's always something for everyone. In addition, everyone I talk to on campus agrees that we have brilliant professors, and there are very few classes that don't hold some kind of interest.

Ross

Many of the students in my classes are just going to college for a piece of paper that says they graduated, not to get an education toward a career.

As a senior looking back on the last four years theire are so many experiences that have been valuable to me. The most valuable college experience I've had is the people I've met. More than ever I'm realizing that who you know can take you as far as what you know. At UNI it is easy to build close relationships with people that can last a lifetime. I have already asked friends that have already graduated with jobs to help me out in my job search; and theires not question I would do the same for my friends. The other college experience that is most important to me is the professors I've met in the last four years. Most of the professors in my classes were at one time or are are currently working in the fieldthey are teaching. The professors do such a great job of teaching more than the textbooks have to offer. Because of this I feel like I have real life experience before I ever even leave the classroom.

My favorite thing about UNI is the small town feel it provides. Even though Cedar Falls is a good sized town, many of the students here are from small towns in Iowa. The campus is also small enough that it's not difficult getting from one side to the other. The size of the school and the students make UNI feel like a community of students and staff that gives UNI a great environment for learning academically and socially.

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. My freshman year at the University of Washington, I learned better time management, discipline, and study habits. Before my college experience, I would do my homework last minute, pull all nighters working on projects, and writing essays the night before they were due. In college I gave myself a timeline and learned to finish projects before they were due. In high school, I would put assignments off. I taught myself self discipline and learned to take at least an hour a day dedicated to strictly studying without interruptions. Learning how to discipline myself also connects to learning better study habits. By setting aside an hour a day for studying, it helped me with my study habits. It has been valuable to attend because I learned so much not only in the classroom, but about myself as well. I learned that I can capable of finishing projects on time and working hard.

Charquillis

Out of my college experience I've learned alot about college that I didn't know plus this isn't something you would want to miss out on. College is hard work and dedication it only takes you to be very focus to pass. It's also a plus if youv'e been or is currently enrolled in college, it better's you as a person and it makes you feel like youv'e really accomplished more than others. Getting out of high school I didn't have any priorities now I have one that I can't take chances with. Being in college as changed me alot as a person because everything is so serious and down to business. Attending college provides you with the knowledge and experience youre are unable to receive from a secondary education, and finding a way to fund a higher education now can pay off in a huge way in the years to come.

claribel

I have learned that college is vital in preparing us for out of school life. College shapes us to be structured, it prepares us for professional and personal testing/ and quizzes life throws at us. I have learned to organize my life accordingly and prioritize what is most important in that certain moment. College provides us with the opportunity to socialize with other people who are goal oriented and driven to success because most students that attend school understand that a higher education level is essential in this modern day living. We are surrounded in college by professors who have already overcame many obstacles’ and through their experience, they tutor and help guide us to achieve the same, if not more. So far, college has been a very positive and inspirational experience, because it has taught me to want more, more education, more knowledge, more understanding and most of all it has taught me to believe that doors and opportunities can be opened to reach my personal dream and desire of helping others. College is significantly valuable, because it provides us with unlimited knowledge; and knowledge is power.

Brienna

My classmates are school oriented, but they also know how to relax and have fun when all the homework is finished.

Attending UNI I have received an excellent education and tons of lifelong friends. UNI puts an emphasis on education, but at the same time wants the students to be able to interact with each other in clubs and other activities. This school has been valuable to attend because the staff really care about how their students are doing academically and socially. All the staff here are more than willing to go out of their way to make sure each and every student achieves at what they are trying to accomplish.

The best thing about being at UNI is the amount of pride shown by all students who attend here and the staff who works here as well. Everyone has a strong sense of community and would do anything to help a fellow student or coworker out. There is never a day when I don't see students showing school spirit and pride.

Sandra

Being that I registered five weeks late at Mesalands Community College to obtain my Associates Degree required by my job as an early headstart teacher, my experience at this college has been great. My professor let me come into the semester of classes and has helped me by letting me catch up with all of the past work that the classes have done. The college itself is a small college in which the majority of the students are majoring in Farrier Science or Wind Energy professions. It is good to be in a small college because the ratio of teacher to students is better and the classes are not over crowded. The student has a chance to learn the material better because of the smallness of classes and the attention of the professors and the material they are teaching. The professors here have the knowledge in the materials they are teaching and encourage the students to do well if not better in class.

Ana

One of the most important things I have gotten out of my college experience would have to be independence. Before college, I had my family & friends to remind me of tasks to do & subjects to study. I also had them to help me cook, clean, do laundry & get groceries. Now I have to balance my time & figure out when is best to do certain tasks. I have had to deal with things on my own & grow through new learning experiences. I found out its bad to put a red shirt in with the wrong colors and very bad to think you don't need to study for tomorrow's test; "Dumb and Dumber" is on TV! By attending college I have had to be responsible for my actions & understand life doesn't have redos. School takes effort and time and you can't breeze your way through it. My parents always taught me to be independent but college was the driving force. I am working for a better future for myself & hold it to the highest regard. If I can't take school seriously, then I can't take my future seriously. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Someone who likes to be involved and have more personal time with teachers. Someone who likes hands on and not lectures. UNI is a very social school so you should be friendly and open to new things. Someone who wants a well rounded education and is willing to take multiple Liberal Arts Courses to round it out. Someone who might want to try Studying Abroad or even take a random class - just to fall in love with it! UNI has so much to offer to almost anyone, no matter what their interests entail.

How small the classes are and how well I know the teachers. Also, how many people I meet through the various activites, classes and dormitory halls. Another awesome plus is how the campus isn't too small OR too big -- the furthest walk you would have to make is 10 minutes tops! It is also the cheapest major public university in Iowa, but with the same quality education. Its not too far from home and Cedar Falls is an awesome host city. I also love the free tutoring offered.

Thomas

I have gained a lot more knowledge through my college experience, instead of learning about the same subject in Highschool the transition I made to college led me to more intrest in the classes that I have tooken in my college courses. Unlike the Highschool courses, college is flexible and I feel independent with just have a couple classes a day and then going home to study. The transition made helped me feel more grown up and instead of being tied down and being told what to do by the teachers in highschool, the professors in the college courses made it easier for me to help fit in with the class and I can be on the same pace as everyone else. It has been valuable for me to attend college, without my college experiece I wouldn't know what to do with my life. The experience helped me choose a major that I would like to pursue without having second thoughts about what to do with my life. College has helped me out with getting my life straightned out and what dreams I want to pursue to become sucessful without college I would be where I am today.

Jordan

I have gained a new prospective on how I view other people and how other people view me. I have become more open and understanding of people who are different from me.

I don't think there is anything bad about it besides the dorms could really use wireless internet.

No having wireless internet in the dorms.

University of Northern Iowa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.