Cedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Northern Iowa

Colin

I would have told myself to go to a real university first, and not spend two years at community college at my hometown. I would tell myself to buckle down and study more, and that it isn't impossible to get good grades if you really work for them, the more you put in, the more you put out. I would ask myself what I really want to do with my life, so I don't waste time taking pointless classes that have nothing to do with my current major. Overall, my message to my past self would be 'Focus'. If I had focused more in highschool, maybe I would have done better, and now that I'm in college it's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. By focusing and putting effort into my work, I've learned that I can acheive almost anything, and that nothing is impossible. I've done things that I thought were impossible for me: Joining the army, getting A's and B's, all by focusing applying myself and doing what I had to when I needed to. That would be my overall message: focus, and it can be done.

There's a lot of stuff to do around campus, no matter what your interests are, there's always a group that shares that interest with you

My favorite thing about the University of Northern Iowa is definitely the size and "family feel" of campus. It is a big enough place that students feel like they are getting the full college experience and that they are attending a big university, but it's small enough that they are getting a more individualized education and don't feel like they are just a face in the crowd and simply just another student. I particularly enjoyed this about my college experience because I am the type of person that needs to feel validated and I got that at UNI.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior I would give myself an overwhelming amount of advice, but I feel like the majority of the advice would be to not worry so much about what other people think of me, and to stay true to who I am and what I know in my heart is right. I would tell myself to save money and not feel the need to keep up with the Jones' because in the end it doesn't really matter and I will be better off in the long run. I would also tell myself to be sure and focus on getting as much out of college as possible. There is so much knowledge available to be acquired and if it isn't taken seriously, so much can be missed. If I could go back and do it all over again I would definitely focus a little bit more, especially during my first couple years of college. Instead of doing the minimum, would spend a little time making it the most valuable experience I possibly could.

I wish I had known about other financial options before I came to school. I wish that counselors had prepared me better for the financial aspect of college. Student loan debt is a huge burden that seems to haunt me daily. A significant portion of my paycheck goes to student loan payments every month and it would have been nice to really know all the options. Scholarship and grant applications are time consuming, but it would have been wonderful to have those options available to me when I was getting my bachelor's degree.

kayla

Register for all the right classes and learn more on scholarships and grants

Register for all the right classes and learn more on scholarships and grants

that all the college credits dont transfer because there were quite a few of mine that didn't transfer and now I am running out of financial aid and no way to pay for college

Dear high school me, College isn't what you expect. It actually feels like home. You're going to make great friends that you'll have forever, and the choices in boys is MUCH better than at home. You'll do great with the transition- there are times when you might miss your family a little, but just remember, college is exactly what you need to be doing right now. Remember how you want to travel everywhere? There are so many opportunities for you here! Cedar Falls has become your permanent home, and you won't change that for the world. You love it here, and even though times may get hard, you make it through to write this letter to yourself. Don't get stressed. College is so much fun, and you don't even know it yet! High school may seem awesome now, but you know that you love your independence. You can do what you want at college without telling anyone. You're doing good so don't worry. P.S. I know boys are complicated, but keep your head up, okay? You'll be frustrated with them just as much at college. Love, Me

Worst thing? The worst thing about UNI is the winters. Cedar Falls is very cold, and they say that wind from the north doesn't stop blowing until it hits the towers on campus. There are wind tunnels on campus everywhere! You have to bundle up and get a warm jacket to wear for sure!

Gabrielle

Take it slow, it will get easier. I know you're excited to get out of the house and on your own but don't rush into it. Enjoy the time you have the summer before you first move into school! The University of Northern Iowa is the right place for you, stop doubting it and go with the flow. I know you want to be done with school but you need to get in gear and actually focus during college. It's easy to get swept up in meeting new people and being on your own but always try to keep grounded and make sure you get everything done on time and not to the bare minimum, show the professors that you care. It will all be over soon enough and you'll have lots of fond memories to cherrish for years on down the road. Your college experience is what you make of it so get out there and show everyone who you are and what you stand for. You can be who you want to be and do what you want to do, just tackle any obstacle that stands in your way and take it.

The worst thing about the University of Northern Iowa is probably the dorm life. Although they are now building new on campus appartments called Panther Village and those are going to be really nice. The bathrooms in the dorm can get kind of gross because there's about 60 girls to a bathroom area and it only gets cleaned once a day and doesnt get cleaned on Sundays. For now I am just stuck with an older room without air conditioning and the heater makes a clanging noise all the time. It's not bad, just not good.

The University of Northern Iowa is a great place to go if you would like to feel like you're actually at a college but it's not too big that you're overwhelmed. The layout of the buildings on campus just makes sense and it doesnt take more than 10 minutes to get from one end of campus to the other. Also the dining center food is usually pretty good because there are a lot of options.

Kristen

Our faculty helps the students in any way they can. We are our own little community and it's a friendly environment to be around.

I'd tell myself to definitely apply myself more and come into college with a good GPA. I'd say get involved in activities more and make more an impact while you are there. Also take college credit classes to knock some out of th way before you go to college.

We have great school spirit and just an overwhelming atmosphere on campus. There are a ton of activities to get involved with and it's easy to meet people.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to fill out a lot of scholarships. I would aslo tell myself to ask about financial aid. I would tell myself to get involved on campus and to not be shy and just meet new people. I also think I would tell myself to go on campus tours whenever I could and remember where everything was. I think everything else was ok for me in high school. I think I would tell myself to try and take AP classes or college classes if they allowed me too. I think having some experience with college before I got here would help me while I am in college now.

I consider the class sizes one of the best things about my school. I also consider the professors to be very considerate of the students.

I wish I would have known everything about financial aid. I wish I would have known that there is no air conditioning in the dorm rooms. I wish I would have known about the professors and classes. I wish I would have known all about the campus.

As a high school senior I was just as confused as everyone else around me but I made one fatal mistake. I didn't do anything about it. I decided to wait a year instead, hoping things would just kind of come together for me later. I'm not sure how such a stupid thought entered my head but alas, a year has passed and I'm more confused than ever. Which decision comes first? Is it choosing a school, getting a scholarship, or deciding what I want to go to school for? Unfortunately, I still can't answer these questions. Yet, I do know that to go back to school I need money. Hence, searching for scholarships. It's a step, hopefully in the right direction. If I could go back just a year, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the people who offered me help before i rejected them and remind myself to stay strong. Obviously, the first scholarship or perhaps even school that I apply for may not accept me. I just have to remember not to take it personally and also to pursue what I know will make me happy and accomplished.

Kristina

Our school has a beautiful campus with beautiful senory surrounding it. There are wonderful bike trails throught the town and surrounding areas to encourage students to get out and stay active.

Looking back at myself as a senior and with what I know now, the main thing I would tell myself would be never lose yourself. The hardest thing about college is staying true to yourself and doing what you truly want and what is ultimately best for you. With the party scenes, and the new circles of friends, its hard to remember what matters to you. Don't let anyone else's ways, beliefs, or ideas become yours. You are your own person and that is all that matters. No matter how good of friends you think you have, you always come first. Work hard to your life goals and don't be distracted by other people's laziness. You are determined, you are a hard worker, don't lose that. Look to the future and don't hold on to the past. Balance your time wisely but spend some time to yourself.

Brittney

Its not as easy as you think is going to its a long process and it take a long time so start working on it now

anyone that wants to get there education

University of Northern Iowa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.