Cedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Northern Iowa

Traci

It is a small town feel with several different opportunities. You can be a part of a small group or a large organization.

Make as many friends and connections as possible. Study hard, have fun. Go to class! Things are not as stressful as they may seem at the time. Remember it is only a test. Worry less about the grade and more about the content. Don't worry if you don't know what you want to do right away or if you change your mind. You're allowed to! Find what you love and are passionate about. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks! Be who you are and love what you do. Life is too short to worry and to be unhappy. It make take you awhile and you may feel lost at times, but you are a smart person and you will figure out what is best for you!

I knew a lot already since my sister attended college at this school.

Katherine

Some advice that I would give to myself as a high school senior would definately be not to worry about what other people think about you and dont be too trusting with people you do not know. I would also advise myself to create better study habits and to start working on long term projects the day that you recieve the information, college projects are a lot more involved than the I-Search essay you had to do your senior year. Don't be afraid to make new friends, but remember that you are not a loser if you choose not to go out every night. Sometimes being alone is good so dont worry if you don't get asked out on a date or asked to go to the mall with your friends, there is plenty of time in your life for those things. Finally the last thing I would advise myself to do is not to rush your childhood, have fun and laugh as much as possible. Make your mistakes and learn from them. And always be open to advice, but know you do not have to take it if you do not want to.

The kind of person that should attend the University of Northern Iowa should be anyone that wants to be in a very relaxed enviornment. Someone who truely values their education and is pushing themselves to move forward in life and enrich the lives of others as well as their own life.

The kind of person that should not attend this school is someone who does not feel like they need to work hard to achieve their goals. Someone who just wants to go to the parties and do none of the work is someone that should not attend UNI.

How helpful everyone is from teachers, classmates, advisers, and counselors. I feel like a student and not just a number here at UNI. More interaction among different cultural and racial groups. JUST RIGHT! They react positively and think it's awesome! In the Union, library, or Sabin Hall. College town, but also family town. Good and looks out for our best interest. The closing of Price Lab education building. Yes, so much! Panther Town! It is a beautiful campus all located in one area of town. It feels like home. All the amazing times I've had here with all the new friends I've made. How windy the campus is, prices going up, computer system changes.

It is the best year ever to make new relationships and the best time to get good grades, because once you establish a GPA it is pretty hard to move up or down from it. Freshman year is the most important year to get a good GPA so you can start high and maintain it throughout college. I started my Freshman year with a 3.5 and average between a 3.58-3.44

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are SO many food options! There are all different types of foods, but they get a little old after a few years.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because it was not too close, nor too far away from my hometown. Some of the bars are 18+ but it is not a huge party school. The teacher to student ratio is great and the campus is not too big

White and uptight. A lot of jocks and sorority/fraternity students

Kristen

My overall opinion of UNI is that it is a great school and a welcoming community. It is very easy to meet people and get involved on campus, especially living in the dorms. One of my favorite things about the school is the size. Its bigger than a private school, yet you don't get lost in the crowd. I see familiar faces all the time, yet people don't know everything about you. I spend most of my time on campus around my dorm or in the student union. The community in Cedar Falls is also great. It is a safe and friendly place and the campus is in an enclosed area. Students can choose if they want to be around students and stay on campus, or go off campus and get away from the classes. People at UNI and in the Cedar Falls area are proud to be panthers and I will carry that pride with me after I graduate as well!

UNI has many student organizations that appeal to a diverse population of students. There are many service related organizations, which I believe seem to be very popular. For example, one group has "Volunteer Tuesdays" in which every Tuesday of the month students volunteer somewhere in the community. These events seem to be so popular that they often fill spots a month before. One of my favorite groups that I have been involved in is Colleges Against Cancer, which plans Relay for Life. It was a very positive experience that allowed students to show their passions. Many students also attend athletic events, especially since they are free for UNI students, which is rare. Athletic events have such a great atmosphere and sense of team spirit. I have meet my closest friends in my dorm my freshman year. The dorms have a great sense of community and allow you to meet many people. They usually have many activities for students to get involved in both during the week and on the weekends.

The academics at UNI are a huge reason that I decided to attend this school. The class sizes are very reasonable and the professors are very personable. I have never had a professor that wouldn't go out of their way to meet with students and give extra help outside of class. Many of my professors know me by name and email with me frequently. There are also many free tutoring resources within the colleges and throughout the entire University for specific subjects, and it is a pretty simple process. I personally study or work on homework at least a couple hours a day, and do well in my classes. I am a business major and the students within my major classes are competitive and hard workers, as the college of business has high standards and a great reputation. The business program is aimed at getting students job ready. The most unique class I have taken is an honors course in which the entire course is student led. I had to help led 2 out of the 15 classes in the semester and when you aren't leading a class, you write a short reflection over required readings. This is a unique way of learning from each other.

Lucas

UNI is a great school to go to! It is a very compact campus and is truly a home away from home! It's the perfect size for a college campus! Being a state school, we have plenty of resources for students to use also. Currently the NISG (Northern Iowa Student Government) is doing a trial of bringing the NY Times to campus. For a while, we get free copies of the New York Times newspaper in the Maucker Union on a first come first serve basis. NISG is going to try to extend it for the rest of the semester and perhaps even next year and after. UNI is a respectable school to graduate from, and if you want to be a teacher this is by far your best bet! It is a great school to go to for an education major. Also, there is a ton of school spirit here. Everyone loves the Panthers in Cedar Falls! Many of the people here are also Iowa or Iowa State fans too, which is okay. You can still bring in your old team favorite and still be a Panthers fan! The biggest recent controversy on campus has been the rise in tuition prices that all of the state schools are now feeling. UNI is being most affected by the state cutbacks as compared to the other state schools of Iowa since we have a greater percentage of funds coming from the state. Besides tuition, one of the biggest complaints is the food in the dining centers. Usually, the food is good and there is a wide variety from pasta to ice cream to subs to pizza, and more! However, on the weekends the food selections aren't as good.

The students here on campus are, for the most part, pretty accepting. Since we are a smaller university in northeast Iowa, UNI students are predominantly white, middle class, Christians. However, there are students of several races, ethnic backgrounds, and nationalities. There are safe zone signs posted in several places around campus including many professors' office doors indicating they are safe for the LGBT community. There are some cliques just from people getting together from different activities and stuff, but for the most part everyone is pretty intermingled. For example, my freshman year, my closest group of friends on my floor would have been from completely different high school cliques ranging from the jock to the nerd.

The academics at UNI are challenging but definitely doable. All of the professors that I've had have been very clear that they are willing to help if we need the help. Also, all professors have office hours, and most are flexible and allow you to schedule an appointment at other times if you can't make the set times. You can use these times to talk about homework, classes, or just go in and talk. They are willing to help if you make the time to go in and talk to them. Many of the classes I've taken have been in classes of less than 50, and so class participation is encouraged and sometimes required. There are also university tutors, where the university hires students to help their peers in virtually every subject free of charge. The classes here are also guiding you to do what you need to after college. Many of the Liberal Arts classes are set up just for learning, but once you get into the classes needed for your major they are geared toward practicality and what you are going to use in your job.

The common stereotype of students at UNI is that we all go home every weekend and it is a glorified high school. This is not true. Obviously there are some students who go home every weekend and think they are still in high school, as there are at every university. Here at UNI, campus can be as big or as small as you want it to be! If you want to hang out with just a few high school buddies all of the time and go home on the weekends you can. If you want to meet hundreds of new friends and find something to do on campus every weekend, you can do that too! There are events all of the time, most of which are free, and there are tons of people living on campus! Many halls even have open door contests so there are doors open and you can stop by and meet new people everywhere!

Shaina

One of the common stereotypes of UNI is that it is "Switzerland." This is definitely true as there are a variety of students in ethnicity, culture, religion, likes and dislikes, academic standing and involvement...the list goes on. This may be true of other schools, but UNI is well known for the kindness of the community, professors, and students as well as their career preparation; much of this, I believe, is due to the acceptance of differences and encouragement to "stand out" here at UNI. UNI is also well known for its teaching and business curricula. However, there is a common misconception that it does not have "good" programs in other areas, such as the sciences, engineering, psychology, etc. This belief is false! UNI has exceptional programs for almost anything! The education here is top-notch and any student you ask will agree that they made the right choice in coming to UNI.

Loren

I don't think there are any stereotypes of the student body as a whole at the University of Northern Iowa. Although, I would say we are known for our school spirit! The Interlude Dance has been a huge factor in making our student section known nation wide. Also, we have a large enough campus that you can be who you would like and still be able to find a group to belong to. We don't have many fraternity or sorority groups, but they are a close knit group. We also have a lot of exchange students and that makes for a interesting and diverse student population.

Monica

A stereotype of students at UNI is that all of the students are from small Midwest farming towns. This stereotype is very innaccurate. Although UNI has a large number of Iowan students, not all of these students come from small, rural areas. Many are from Iowa City, Des Moines, etc. UNI also has a number of international students as well as students from other states.

I really don't think there is a stereotype of students at my school. There is such a wide variety of people here and pretty much all types of people hang out together. The one thing iI think people do stereotype about students here though, is that everyone goes home on the weekends. While some people do go home on the weekends, there are plenty of people that stay here too.

My classmates are all very down to earth and eager to learn and meet new people.

If I was to go back in time to high school knowing what my first year of college was like, I would have multiple pieces of advice. First, I would prepare myself for the "work load," or in other words learn how to study! That was a skill that was not tought well at my high school. Second, I would tell myself to get involved! I was always involved in sports, but I did not volunteer enough or join enough clubs and organizations. Third, I would prepare myself for the independence. I was very independent in high school, but I was not grown up enough to succeed at the level that I would like here at UNI. After the first semester it took me a long time to build up that level of independence. Lastly, I would tell myself to think positive and enjoy the ride. College is only fun if you make it fun. It's about trying new things and having many new experiences. College is one of the biggest steps in our lifetime.

Honestly, I would recommend UNI to any student looking for a college. The staff and professors here are very personable and are very helpful. It is a slightly larger campus compared to a community college or private college, but it is small enough for a small-town student looking for a change. It feels like home here!

University of Northern Iowa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.