University of Rhode Island Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Rhode Island

Meghan

As a current freshman, going into my second semester at the University of Rhode Island, I am pleased I made the decision to come here. Luckily enough, I live in one of the newest dorms, however majority if not all freshman at URI live in a triplet. Hillside Hall is a beautiful dorm, spacious bathrooms and air conditioned lounges to relax with friends or do homework. However, living with two other people is quite difficult, not a lot of space to move around, its almost as if your beds are right on top of each other and you're always in each others business. Worst part of all, the closet space is enough to fit 10 shirts, imagine 3 teenage girls in there. The campus is absolutely beautiful, Rhody sunsets are like nothing else, especially if you are coming down from the memorial union towards Hillside or Bressler you will see the most breathtaking sunsets ever. Campus is a good size, unfortunately being a public health major the walk to my dorm to CBLS is 10 minutes. All of URI is on a hill, my dorm is the bottom of a hill, so though it is a pain to walk to upper campus, your legs will thank you later. Something that stands out at the University of Rhode Island is the number of resources available. The library has become my best friend, you can easily rent out rooms to study with classmates and have access to a white board. The academic center is another useful tool, tutoring is offered and there are people ready to help you prepare for a speech or write a well written paper. Switching from academics to social life, to be truthful with anyone reading this, greek life is a huge part of social life at URI. Though I am apart of greek life, I know only a very limited amount of people who are not apart of greek life, for the reason that they didn't want to join. However, I know more people who are not apart of greek life for the reason they dropped during rush because they didn't get invites back from the house(s) they liked. Right next to greek life, are club sports. Club sports is a beautiful thing at URI, if you have a passion for a sport but don't want to continue at the varsity level, club sports are competitive and fun. Rumor has it University of Rhode Island is a huge party school, yes we party, but there is a clear balance between social and academic life. Joining greek life at URI has been the best decision I've ever made for myself, don't come into college with the mindset that to be in a sorority or fraternity you have to be a certain way, act a certain way, all you do is party, etc. That is false. With that being said that goes for everything in general in college, URI has allowed me to succeed academically and make a wide variety of friends. My first semester experience was unlike no other, my life has dramatically changed and Rhode Island truly feels like home to me.

Allison

Good university for people who live there but as a commuter it’s a little inconvenient if you don’t know anybody in the system. I’m a transfer from community college and the environment feels very different than I am used to. Maybe I’ll feel better about it later.

Hailey

The University of Rhode Island is an excellent school. It is academically advanced, growing, affordable, and comfortable. I feel comfortable talking to my teachers, making new friends, and walking around campus. I am a Kinesiology major and I chose the school due to its reasonable prices and excellent academic programs. I could not be happier about my choice. The only thing that I find frustrating about the school is the abundance of Greek Life. I am not a member of Greek Life and often feel left out. The Honors college is where I fit in the most.

juell

University of Rhode Island has really developed me as a person. I am in my third year at the university and I cannot speak highly enough of it! It is definitely an academically rigorous school environment but with plenty of help to get you through it. Many of the classes offer specific tutors for the class and many majors off tutoring in general to help you gain the tools to succeed. For example, I am a very business oriented brain but for the general education classes I struggled a lot, the tutors and my teachers spent lots of time giving me different tools to study for that specific class. The University wants all student to succeed and makes sure to give you tools to do so. Lastly, the school encourages diversity and really wants students to explore the world and create a world view for themselves. The study abroad program is very well managed and helpful with every step of the process. I also want to mention university is large enough to have plenty of variety but URI is a close community, when someone struggles or needs help the community comes together. I personally witnessed this when my friend’s father passed away last year, teachers from all over the school came to support his family, many members of the school reached out that he had never met and the university made his family feel like they were not alone in this difficult time. The university cares for each student no matter how involved you are or not, the University times the time for their students.

From my first steps on campus, the University of Rhode Island was the first school to make me feel at home. So much of the college search for me has been a bunch of schools I did not see myself living there for 4 years. As a current high school senior I hope I can attend my home school. I have been to the campus numerous times and every time gets better and better!

Emma

It's a great school; if you really want to be involved, the opportunity is there. However, if you don't want to be so involved, that's fine too. A lot of people bond over classes. I was worried about how big Greek culture would be. It's huge if you're in it, but pretty avoidable if you're not. Overall a really good school!

emily

Uri was my first college choice, and I love it. They have so many opportunities for every major and an abundance of classes. University of Rhode Island is very diverse when it comes to students, and you can find diversity within every aspect of campus. The food is not amazing but you can get by. There are a good variety of choices but they definitely could improve when it comes to healthy food. ,

keyline

University of Rhode Island is a great school, especially for the science programs. the abundant amount of opportunities offered to the science kids is much appreciated. from fellowships to internships, we are provided so many different opportunities to expand our field of knowledge.

Cheyenne

It is a beautiful, historic school with a splendid Agricultural base. The facilities are plentiful, and the aesthetics are pleasing. Political opinions sometimes leak into the classrooms, and the on-campus housing is atrocious (uncompleted renovations) but most students seem happy and I a glad and blessed to be here pursuing my English degree. The college offers plenty of programs and just the one I was looking for. The Honors program is a breeze to get into, and there are police and buses readily available. The surrounding area is lovely, with the Narragansett beach being about fifteen minutes away. I chose this college because it is close to my home. Some of the dining options are expensive and lack-lister, and you have to pay for printing, but the staff and professors try their best. I would recommend this University. I was nervous at first about classroom sizes and competitive curriculum, but the professors understand that you have a life outside of the classroom and other work to do. The student who rent off-campus are quite rowdy in my neighborhood, but there are policies being implemented. All in all, I am safe and happy and enjoying the pursuit of my education.

Emma

URI is beautifully diverse. It is a community composed of all different races, genders, ethnicity's, and backgrounds. Everyone that I have come in contact with, whether it be professors or students, are motivated and educated individuals.

Isabel

It is a good school with decent academics. I learn what I need to an a bit more in the classroom, not many complaints. Finding a job on campus is difficult but I manage. The job I do have is not very understanding with students needing time to do homework or clubs or just have any free time in general and expect students to come to work any free minute they have. The clubs are not very clear and when I find some online and got to the meeting spot it is not there. Advising could also use some work. I have made some pretty amazing friends though.

Blessin

Overall the University of Rhode Island was not my first choice. I wanted to go out of state for school to be able to get the full going away to college experience. When I finally decided to attend the University, I wasn't sure that I was going to like it. You know what they say, your state's school is just like high school all over again because everyone is from home. But when I came to campus on move in day, the staff and RA's made me feel right at home. There were welcome activites and refreshments. I made many friends on the first day and had a blast. I knew that the remaining years of my college life would be amazing. I love the University of Rhode Island.

Eleanore

I just finished freshman year and the food is hit or miss. The rooms are dingey college dorms but what did we expect. I lived in Browning Hall during my first semester and sometimes there was food on the walls and floors for weeks. Most of the dorms don't have elevators except for the newer buildings. They built Hillside on a sinkhole so there's also that. Frats and sororities like to think they're hot shit but we only tolerate them for their "gatherings". I've had two poor biology professors but an awesome writing TA (TA's tend to be better than the professor).

The University of Rhode Island is a great school! There is a lot to do on campus, and the food is great. Before class, you have to get a bagel and a coffee from "Bagels", best ever. The school is right near downtown Wakefield as well, which is full of amazing places to hangout and spend some time off campus.

Natasha

I am only a first year student at the University, but I do enjoy living on-campus so far. I feel that the campus is a decent size and fairly easy to get around. It was also a very short distance from the beach which adds to its charm. There are several helpful resources all around campus. I feel that on-campus living could be better, however it is not bad at all. Off-campus housing however is wonderful. There are numerous homes for rent in neighboring towns/cities as well as walking distance from the campus.

I transferred out after my first year and I don't regret it at all. Most of my professors were great; they were generally well informed and reasonable people and I enjoyed most of my classes. I did feel somewhat like I wish I was challenged more, but there were plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself. I had a double major and was ready to pick up a minor as well and I found it easy to do so. What I didn't know about URI before I got there was how involved in greek life everyone was. Although only about 20% of students are in a fraternity or sorority, I'm not sure how the other 80% got by. Joining a sorority wasn't my thing but I wanted to make the most of my time there so I rushed and actually ended up enjoying it. I made some friends but overall greek life is not my scene. If you're not in greek life (honestly, even if you are), good luck finding and getting into parties. Nothing ever happened on campus and off campus parties were a $40 uber ride away, all in Bonnet or Gansett. The parties that did happen off campus were usually shut down pretty quickly by the cops. Other than than, there are some clubs and sports that I know people got involved in but nothing jumped out at me. On the other hand, most of the students are very spirited and go to a ton of the basketball games. Though there are different types of people at URI, I found it difficult to find a group that I fit into well. This could've just been me (not one to strike up conversations), but most of the students there are into partying and are what I would call "basic." By this I just mean that there isn't a ton of diversity regarding what students are interested in and most are not politically aware or overly involved in their academics. Generally on campus I felt safe; there are street lights and blue lights everywhere and the campus PD is always close by. While this was nice, it's hard to do anything on campus without getting caught by the PD as well. All freshman live in forced triples which was a little rough but nice to have two built in friends. If you get lucky enough to live in Hillside, you're set. By junior year almost everyone is living off campus in houses. Most live in beach houses that are used as summer rentals and get charged a month what a summer renter would pay for a week, so the pricing is pretty good, but 15 minutes away so will definitely need a car. The surrounding town is pretty empty and there's almost nothing in walking distance besides a few pizza places, a CVS, a vape shop and a bagel place at the top of campus in the Emporium. You're really close to Narragansett and not super far from Providence and both have enough to do but, again, you definitely need a car on campus or you'll be bored out of your mind. The dining halls suck but it's regular college dining halls. Grab and Go isn't great either but what do you expect? Overall, the size of the school was nice because you're always able to meet new people but also can find a friendly face most of the time as well. The campus is beautiful and a good size too in my opinion, but the students and environment weren't what I was looking for.

Kyara

It is my dream school. I would never want to go anywhere else. Seeing that I am out of state, it is pretty expensive so I really need any little bit of many I can get. Please help me afford my dream school, anything is appreciated. I would not be asking if it wasn't so important to me and my family.

Sadie

The University of Rhode Island provides a perfect size campus in an ideal location. This school truly allows students to determine their path in life and discover where they wish to end up. The extracurricular opportunities on campus are limitless as well. The students here are open and willing to communicate and help others. The atmosphere is friendly and safe and I know many people that have loved, love, or will love going to school here.

Mary Ellen

As a public institution, the University of Rhode Island provides a quality education at a relatively affordable cost. The school has great programs in the College of Environmental and Life Sciences because it started out as an agricultural school. One of the biggest, and most common complaints, is on-campus parking. Since those who move off campus become commuters, there is a huge commuter population and limited parking spaces.

carissa

The University of Rhode Island is not a bad school. Visually it is very nice. The majority of the buildings are well kept and fit the setting. The school also provides a very good outdoor setting that many and all students can enjoy and relax in such as the Quad where many students like to sit and either relax with friends or do work. It provides access to food and indoor areas as well such as the rams den or the library where one can sit and do work. The staff is very nice as well. All of the teachers I have had really focus on their jobs and seem to have a goal and passion for teaching and helping others to learn for their set careers. My only complaints is the price of the tuition, but that is how college works, and the bathrooms which I feel as though need more attention put in to making them clean. Overall the University of Rhode Island is a very nice school and I would recommend it to anyone seeking a four year university to attend.

Andrew

Overall, I believe that URI is a solid state university to attend. There's always something to do outside of studying for anyone and the campus life is just very lively! The housing may need some improvement in some dorms but others are well maintained and nice. The food is actually enjoyable and a clear upgrade from high school food!

Danielle

I love my school. It definitely is a good fit for me even though it's not perfect for everyone. I met amazing friends and classmates and even though the dorms and food aren't amazing its a good school and I love the environment I'm in. The professors are pretty great and accessible and theres plenty to do on and off campus.

As a pharmacy student, the University of Rhode Island was a perfect fit for me! It offers a 2+4 program; meaning you complete two years of undergraduate studies and are guaranteed direct entry into the graduate school of pharmacy (as long as you maintained a 3.0 GPA). Most schools do not offer this so if you are looking to major in pharmacy I would definitely recommend looking into this school. As for food and housing, improvements could be made; the dorms are very small compared to most schools and majority are triples. I overall feel safe at the school, I have walked alone with no problem. Classes are a good size; I enroll in a lot of honors courses to guarantee a small class size (you do not have to be an honors student to enroll in honors classes). There is always something to do around and slightly off campus which keeps me busy. The school is a bit pricey being out of state so definitely look into costs if you are out of state and thinking of going here. Overall, I have had a great experience at the University of Rhode Island!

Rebecca

I attended the University of Rhode Island for my bachelor's degree, and have recently returned for my master's degree. Living on campus (South Kingstown campus), the dorms are adequate but nothing special. You need to have a really early pick time to get one of the nicer dorms as an upperclassmen. The food is pretty good in the dining halls, and there is options for grab-n-go meals for those in a rush. The SK campus is beautiful, and there are lots of paths to follow between dorms, academic halls, etc. There are two gyms, one was redone just a few years ago and they are both excellent. Professors are usually very responsive to emails and willing to work with students 1:1 during office hours, but this varies by major and of course the individual professor. Class sizes can range from large lecture halls for gen-ed classes to 12 students for specialized upper classes. There are lots of opportunities for activities and social groups, just a matter of finding the right one for you.

Allison

I loved the University of Rhode Island when I visited. I loved it so much I just committed to attend in the fall. I loved the variety of clubs and activities I can participate in when I am not attending classes. The academics are great with a new engineering building I cannot wait to learn in. I am so excited to be part of the University of Rhode Island.

Paris

The University of Rhode Island is a very nice community to be a part of. The caring faculty and students make the environment warm and inviting.

Matthew

This school absolutely blew away my expectations. As a future college student, I am on track to major in an Engineering field (still undecided of which specific branch). After touring URI, attending URI's welcome day, and shadowing a URI Engineering student for a day, I can confidently say that URI is a fantastic school. The campus is stunning and the location is the perfect blend of being private yet still having activities to do. After meeting many people, it is also clear that the population is incredibly kind and intelligent. The school is always improving its campus and offers many academic opportunities. After all my visits and experiences, I think URI is very under-acknowledged and deserves recognition as a very very great university.