University of South Florida-St Petersburg Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of South Florida-St Petersburg

I loved the USF- St. Petersburg campus as well as my professors! I appreciated the ease of registering for classes and the generous list of offerings each semester. I initially was not sure how long it would take me to complete my bachelor's degree as I was also working full time but thanks to the many offerings, I was able to find and take classes that complimented my work schedule and graduate with my bachelor's degree in just over a year and a half after deciding to return to school. I had a great experience here and highly recommend attending! USF St. Petersburg offers most majors and you truly can get a high-quality education at a very reasonable price!

Shannon

The class sizes are perfect for me, never had a class over 50 students but usually have classes with 30 students. Almost all of my teachers are friendly, helpful and always willing to work with me outside of class and going above and beyond to help. The food is not very good and lacks variety but the atmosphere of the campus is super laid back, relaxed and diverse. And the view of the bay is amazing, nothing like it.

Alexis

I am an incoming freshman and have visited many colleges in an attempt to find the perfect one, USFSP is no doubt the perfect one for me. Beautiful campus and nothing but warm welcomes from the staff and students. Can't wait to be a bull by the bay <3

Steve

The University of South Florida, St. Petersburg excels at maintaining a small class size, close contact with professors, and a degree of academic eminence unparalleled; truly, it is an honor and a pleasure to be a student here! I truly feel at home here by the waterfront. Go Bulls!!!!!

Amy

I attended the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg from 2017 to 2019 for my Bachelors degree in Psychology. While I lived off campus, I did spend a lot of time on campus for classes, lunches, and extracurricular activities. The food and coffee was great every time and I've met many lifelong friends. The professors were all incredible and extremely knowledgeable, some of the most passionate professors I've had up to this point.

I love this school. I appreciate all it has to offer both academically and socially, and I appreciate its close-knit family atmosphere. The faculty and staff truly have the best interests of their students at heart and peers often feel welcome and warmly acknowledged.

Janet

It is a very good school that makes you feel at home but allows you to do what needs to be done for your degree any way they can help. The professors are very well educated in their fields and their classes are engaging. The staff and students here are very friendly and helpful when it comes to new students.

kiharrah

Very diverse and incredibly beautiful. The smaller campus makes it feel easier to just be yourself, ask questions, and dive into every concern you have about you’re future. USFSP is a place where every single person there wants you to succeed, the faculty is amazing and they go above and beyond. It’s definitely a place you would want to call home. For anyone afraid their first year, they literally have an entire program dedicated to helping first year students succeed, whether you’re a transfer or incoming freshman. Here you find community, love, and knowledge.

Alandria

Here at USFSP, we are about inclusion, student centered success, research, community and care for the environment and as a student we stay true to our values. Our many clubs on campus make anyone feel included and if a student feels like they are underrepresented here than they can make their own club. Our many resources on campus help students succeed whether academically or personally. Research is constantly done b professors and taught in the classes. Since we are located in the heart of Saint Petersburg students have many opportunities to connect with small business owners. Lastly as a school we have taken on measures to be more environmentally friendly such as our buildings which are use solar energy to power themselves.

Alexis

The University of South Florida- St. Petersburg is a very inclusive, and small campus. It has beautiful scenery, right on the bay, and in a great area with plenty to do. I love my school and hope future student take as much pride and joy in it as I do

mariah

I love the location and the size of our campus. There is so much opportunity to grow, because you get to meet people and learn from all the different colleges what is going on. I feel safe knowing that there is emotional support available to me and that our on campus police regularly hang around. The professors I have met during my past two years have all had something to teach me outside of the academic realm which is what college is about. Parking is one negative I must mention, along with the fact that student government needs adequate leadership and transparency, but besides that, I love my school and am happy I chose to go here.

Christopher

TL/DR - Although USFSP is a beautiful school, has great facilities, and comfortable class sizes, the poor infrastructure and support from the school ruin the positives. PROS- 1-USFSP has amazing facilities, the library is so great. 2-Many GEN-ED class sizes are about the same as high school, so talking to your professor is more personal and less overwhelming. 3-The campus is very beautiful, and there's always events happening + many clubs if you want to be involved. Student body is very kind & open. CONS- 1- The cafeteria is VERY overpriced, and overvalued for the food & service they provide is barely mediocre. MOST of the staff is very kind though but that has nothing to do with the fact the food is overpriced. 2- If you have to deal with Housing, you're better off not even bothering. Housing staff in all of my experiences act as if they have something better to do. Might be due to the fact they have no idea on what they're doing. 3- Downtown ST.Pete. If you primarily stay ON CAMPUS this wont be an issue. BUT if you are off campus often as I am for whatever reason. Don't spend too much time past the sundial or past the hospital.... 4- This is more of a St.Pete community thing than USFSP thing, but a lot of people here have NASTY attitudes, just from going to public events throughout Pinellas, or going to Mom & Pop restaurants a lot of people here have negative energy. Other than all that, if you are a commuter, or at least live off campus & have a car the negatives don't really apply to you, but as a Community, USFSP is an interesting experience.

Alyssa

The University of South Florida-Saint Petersburg (USFSP) is mainly identified as the commuter campus. Most of us who attended this campus were those who lived off campus. We also were the students who on a daily basis drove around for 40 minutes in search for a parking spot in the very populated parking garage. Students, such as I, would have to leave a significant amount of time from home before classes began due to the fact that parking was quite scarce at the Saint Petersburg campus. Once parked, however, the classes were all held closely together which made going from one class to the next a breeze. Most of the professors, during my time at USFSP, set up their classes in such a way that if you followed guidelines and worked hard you would pass their class. For students like me who were required to take foreign language classes and then ended up pursuing a minor in the language chosen, for me it was Spanish, many opportunities to study abroad were offered. There were even scholarship opportunities that were able to be attained for students who decided to apply for study abroad programs. USFSP made the guidelines to attain scholarships very well known to those interested in the program. I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship that paid for almost my entire study abroad program to Salamanca, Spain during summer 2015. My main issue with USFSP was not the parking, nor was it with Professors of online classes that never seemed to return my e-mails but it seemed to always come down to academic advisors. I was lucky enough to have the option of two advisors for my program and Ms. Kelly was amazing, however, the other option for the Social Sciences program, Mr. Callihan was often unable to answer questions or help students with setting up semester schedules. Aside from the academics, USFSP offered many opportunities to enjoy activities on campus such as: The Wednesday Market. This allowed for students, especially those who commuted, to be involved in campus activities during the week. A variety of events were held throughout the weeks at various times which allowed students to have the opportunity to participate even with their busy college schedule. Overall my time at USFSP was one filled with fun opportunities and even with annoying things, such as lack of parking, I am thankful to have been able to attend such a great and beautiful campus. Go Bulls!

Rogelio

.The class sizes are smaller so more engagement to professors is a plus. Is a less stressful environment than other larger universities that is appealing. The instructors are reasonable and respond to emails in a timely manner. Overall is a great campus!

Sebastian

I love the campus because it is a small, public institution that is in the middle of downtown St.Petersburg. Giving it the small campus feel but also giving it the city atmosphere and opportunities. I have had the opportunity of knowing an organization backed by a philanthropic millionaire to change the intellectual level of the city and even been able to visit the state capital to bring more funding to USFSP, therefore,​ I am very grateful for the possibilities given to me at this campus.

The University of South Florida, St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful college campuses I have ever step foot on. The college is built on the water, so you can sail to class if the winds are right. I lived on a boat in a marina next door to campus and I would walk the sea wall all the way to class. The library faces the water, so my study table on the third floor overlooked the gulf. It helped me focus and work better when I could take a mental break with beautiful scenery for a minute. The small population of students is what initially attracted me to the school. There are still plenty of people to meet, clubs to join, and activities to get involved in just like a large campus. Less students means less buildings and shorter walks between classes! You can schedule 10 minutes between classes and make it across campus on time. I did not feel lost on campus. The academic advisors rock and the professors are real people who really care. Smaller classes mean professors get the opportunity to get to know all their students on a much more personal level. Any struggles are quickly resolved with the help of professionals on campus who want their students to succeed. Overall, I rate the USF St. Pete a 10 out of 10.

Hailey

This campus is beautiful, it's right on the water and perfect for peaceful study time! This campus is small enough to get around quickly and allows teachers to get to know their students better due to smaller class sizes. They offer many places to grab a snack or coffee and is right in down town st.pete so you can explore the town a little in between classes.

Cassie

I enjoy attending USFSP because of the involvement and currency of politics and activities. The students are generally friendly and welcoming to anyone that needs help. The class sizes are small and the professors are attentive to the needs of students.

Gabriela

I feel as if it is the perfect place to grow and achieve your goals in a variety of methods. The professors will almost always be there to guide you, the students are compassionate and intelligent, and there are so many activities to do outside of college. It is quite a good school.

I absolutely love the University of South Florida-St. Petersburg! The campus is located on the bay which allows for water-related activities. such as sailing, kayaking, or tanning. The student leaders encourage others to join clubs, living learning communities, etc.

Corie

USFSP is a smaller campus, which is great for people who like a smaller class size, there are 20-30 students in a class, maybe the core classes have more than that . The professors are super nice and always there to help and they are great at their subject.

Jasmine

This school really loves to be involved with its students and they are constantly reaching out to students to check on them and keep up with their mental health and their well beings. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. When it comes to academics, classes aren’t huge so they’re very involved, the teachers care about their students and will always work with you if you need the extra help, there’s constantly study groups for classes and you will never be alone when it comes to anything you may need.

Daniel

I love the St. Pete campus of USF, it is a perfect size campus for people that don't want to go to a big campus but also don't want to be at a small college either (Like me). It is right on the water so you can always enjoy the nice breeze and soak up some sun if you ever just want to relax, the classroom sizes are perfect with majority of your classes being between 20-60 students, and the Professors are always kind and willing to help you whenever you need it. Plus the Recreational sports are always a thing to enjoy if you're interested in the sports life.

John

As a first-year freshman enrolled in the University of South Florida’s Bachelorette program in Chemistry, I can proudly say that the school outperformed my expectations in every single way. Not only are the classes thought-provoking and engaging, but every facility is well-built and consistently maintained to a point of what seems near perfection, most importantly however, the variety of food in the mess halls is absolutely scrumptious to a tee and varied to allow for all religions and diet types (save paleo, but if you’re a protein junky they’ve got the meat you need)! Furthermore, some may say the coursework is challenging or tiring when in actuality, that’s exactly what we’re here to do! College is a place of learning, where you can challenge your perceptions, flip everything you know about something on its head, and even to create opportunity for yourself that you had no idea existed prior, so if you’re afraid of being bogged down with work just make time-management a top priority and the rest will be smooth sailing. Lastly, although the housing and meal plans may seem pricey at first glance, if you are intuitive with your meal plan and divide your meals throughout the week, there won’t be a day you go hungry, you’ll even have a couple hundred bucks extra for when you don’t feel like eating at the many dining halls around campus! In closing, I proudly represent my college and what it stands for, as our saying goes, “Bleed green with a heart of gold!”

Sara

I love going to USFSP. The people that go to this school was the main thing that drew me in. The class sizes are perfect. None of them have been too big. All of the difficult subjects have a smaller class size which really helps. Also, most if not all of the professors really want to help and see you succeed.

Shaquilla

USF is great university to prepar yourself for the real world and allow yourself to be free and vounerable to new challenges. The scenary is always beaustiful, except of course when a hurricane threatns the state, however, every flower shine brighter than a Pixar animation here. The staff if amazing as I know almost every one and you can tell they care about the students. I would recommend this school to any incoming fresh man or transfer student.

Meghan

The location is fantastic-- it's a waterfront campus with access to kayaks, sailboats, and more, as well as a small "beach" and hammock area. There's a club for every interest, the option to take classes in Tampa, and a very strong relationship between the faculty and students.

University of South Florida St. Petersburg is an amazing place to attend college. What is really great about this specific campus is that it is a much smaller campus. This means that it is easier reaching out to professors, which is very helpful. The education at USFSP is great. I highly recommend attending USFSP!

Emmanuel

My overall opinion of the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg is that it is a great campus that offers an enormous amount of opportunities in and out of classrooms. One of the perks of USF St. Petersburg is that it is newly renovated and located in the perfect area in the beautiful downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. An awesome feature about campus is that Each degree major has their own specific building in which their classes are held. The layout of the campus allows you to get to where you need to go at a close distance or even a close walk. There are Many resources that are offered to students like cafes, lounges, fitness centers, outdoor water activities and more. While on campus you can easily explore and find yourself a comfortable seating outside or choose to get work done in one of our two school libraries. While attending USF one is given the chance to participate in all the different programs and activities that are offered to students, so they can stay connected and feel a part of the school spirit. At USF there are a number of different groups and organizations that allows everyone at least an opportunity or option to choose from something they might like. A great aspect of going to USF St. Pete is going to the Bulls football and basketball games and the other variety of sports that the university offers. School sporting events is the place to be! there is tons of food, music, and fellow students and fans of the USF bulls’ teams that come together and cheer on our Bulls university teams. Overall, I enjoy my time and learning at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. it is an all-Around great school that I would personally recommend it to any degree seeking students in the area.

Arianna

As a soon-to-be freshman, (admitted and starting in June!) I can testify I have toured this campus and talked to plenty of students here. The campus is so pretty, and I love how it's near the water. There are plenty of extracurricular opportunities and friendly people! I haven't experienced a true classroom setting myself yet, but based off of other students, it is enjoyable. I am so elated I am going here! I absolutely love it.

Stefanie

My opinion is that USF SP is a good school. It offers small class sizes which allow you to ask questions and really connect with your professors. I think it has a good atmosphere because you feel welcome being at the school and always have someone to turn to when needing help from anywhere from academics to getting help with what you want to do after college.