West Virginia University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for West Virginia University

Alexandra

I love WVU, it's my home! However, if an incoming student isn't prepared for or aware of the lifestyle, it can be detrimental to their studies. Many students flunk out of their first semester because they spent too much time in the party scene and lost track of their classes. Personally this has never happened to me, but 80% of my floor from freshman year no longer attend because of this issue. As long as you keep your nose in your books when you're supposed to and balance your time wisely you will be fine. Campus housing is lackluster, as is off-campus, but every student loves the charm of all of the old college houses in sunnyside and the tradition that comes with them. All of the students live for football and basketball season-it's the highlight of my year to storm the court, and West Virginia athletics really can't be beat (Big 12, baby!). All in all, I love WVU and all of the experiences and ups + downs that go along with it!

Nayreshca

I was always excited to attend West Virginia. I graduated high school at 17 and WVU was the only place I applied. As soon as I got there I was required to participate in something called "Adventure WV". There i was able to do some volunteer work and be around new people that later became some of my good friends. I also really enjoyed disconnecting from everything. We didn't use our phones for an entire week and it was more than refreshing. I would definitely recommend this school. I love my classes, the atmosphere is great.

Peter

It is a weel organized and very good university. The campus is nice, the town is a very nice place to live. Housing is excellent. The classrooms are large and confortable, always clean. The professors are always caring about your success in their courses.

Rachelle

Love the school and the atmosphere , really makes it feel like home. PRT can be annoying but theres always a way to get to classes

Annamarie

I am a forensic science and chemistry major at WVU and honestly is is one of the best options and choices in order to participate in such an accredited program. However, the out of state cost is killer but compared to other out of state costs it is relatively low. It would be nice if there were more scholarships available to out of state students. Academics and social wise--- the school is great! Yeah we are known for partying and drinking but you do NOT have to partake at all. If its what you want to do, you can find it. If its not, you can easily avoid it.

Charles

West Virginia University has become my second home. When I entered as a freshman alone with no other kids from my high school I was fully accepted by everyone and treated with a great amount of respect. This school has molded me and shaped my personality in a much more well rounded adult and gave me the tools to succeed.

cheyenne

Very big an open to those who are from other countries. WVU has a variety of people, but many stay within own groups sadly. Lots of activities, but the clubs aren't widely known. Food is terrible, The only thing I ever see available is pastas and pizza. Not to forget the fast food every corner. The meal plan doesn't help when you have to eat where it allows you to. Please get healthier choices.

Alicia

I absolutely love WVU. When you're there it feels like home. Everyone you see is so nice and polite. The professors are always willing to help. There are so many different clubs and activities to do outside of class, and the games are absolutely amazing. I'm so glad i chose to come here!

Tessa

West Virginia University has such an amazing atmosphere that even when I go home, I cannot wait to be back here. The professors I've had have all been very helpful and concerned about the students grades. I have loved my college experience and I can't wait to come back here next year.

Emmanuel

At first I was not sure about attending school here but after my first semester I do not regret my choice at all. Everyone here is so down to earth which makes it really easy to make new friends. The professors here are very skilled and are always willing to support you if you reach out to them. There many other things to do here besides partying such as sporting events, intramural sports, clubs, etc. there is always something productive to do here.

Olivia

My overall opinion on West Virginia University is that it is a great school. I thought I was going to feel nervous because I thought of the university as massive but WVU does a really great job on making sure everyone makes this place feel like home. They have multiple organizations and extracurricular activities so you can find your niche. They also provide multiple resources to help improve your academic experience. Those resources would be free tutoring and make sure professors hold office hours. I really enjoy being apart of a school that feels like home.

Francis Kalonji

I am very happy about what this school has to offer me in terms of education and opportunities to get involved. I am in engineering and I am currently enjoying my major despite the many challenges that it has. I had the chance to pick a different university I don't think that I would.

Monika

I love it here! This place is home away from home, the little place among the hills of West Virginia. The school atmosphere is amazing and the teachers are always there to help you when you need it. The campus is very diverse with people from all over the world.

shamar

West Virginia University, a University that produces the leaders and scholars of tomorrow. I am honored to call myself a Mountaineer. During the few months that I have attended WVU, I have learned a lot about myself, the "real" world, and the direction I want to take to succeed in life. WVU has taught me that knowledge isn't power but the execution of knowledge is power. I have began to apply these principle to my life and I feel that throughout these next 3.5 years, West Virginia University will help me build a rapport to where I am able to take the next step to becoming a leader for the future.

madisonI

At first I did not think I would like it at all, I had visited many times throughout my high school career and it just did not seem right for me. My senior year I wanted to learn more about the college so my best friend and I visited a friend that was a freshman there living in the honors dorm. We had so much fun and met so many new people. Our friend showed us around and I fell in love with this place, I got to talk to some art professors and they helped me to make the right decision on attending wvu. I love everything about it, there is such a home feeling to it. I can't wait to start this fall!

West Virginia University is a wonderful campus. There are lots of new people to meet and a wide variety of extracirricular activities that you can join. There is something for everyone at West Virginia University. The food options are also very good!

Sierra

It's a great school. Although it is a large school with big class sizes it really feels like a community. There is always activities, crafts, and free food to enjoy on the weekends. We might be a party school but academics is still very important, so don't skip classes.

Shelby

WVU although a big campus has a lot of activities that the school puts on to encourage students to be excited about school as well as involved. The college also does a nice job of reinventing the buildings and keeping the whole campus clean and safe.

Karlie

I could not be happier with my choice to attend WVU! I have obtained a great education and also have grown from a teenage to a well rounded young woman. I have made friends that I know will be my friends for life. My parents are also very happy with my environment and my education. Most of my professors have been wonderful.

Larissa

Its a great school with a great learning atmosphere! It is an awesome place to get to know a lot of different people and to have a fresh start if that is what you are looking for. Also lots of fun activities to do every weekend whether it is hiking or hanging with friends.

Aleysha

West Virginia University is a perfect size campus that's not too big or too small, has several activities to fit any student's creative needs, and is well balanced between academics and entertainment. West Virginia University is an overall great school to learn and evolve.

Ethan

In my opinion, West Virginia University is a fine example of a public state university. It has many majors from performance majors, to medical majors, any person can receive any degree from the university. The university is located in a beautiful small city, that isn’t over crowded, and the crime rates aren’t high at all. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and relatively new. The professors, though a huge state college, will take the time out of their busy day to answer any questions you may have for them, and the lectures are interesting, and quick to grab the attention. Overall, this university is an astounding school to choose.

Vera

West Virginia University is honestly a very nice school. It's located in one of the safest cities in the U.S and the three main campuses are connected with a unique transportation system called the Personal Rapid Transit(PRT). The academic atmosphere is kind of discrete, everyone is pursuing their degrees quietly. The diversity of people ages in the classrooms are one of my favorites, it combines knowledge from all over when engaging in classroom conversations. The social aspect, on the other hand, is very wild. Wednesday through Saturday are officially party days, but there are students like me who enjoy relaxing on weekends, so we keep the partying to a minimum. One thing I love about WVU the most is the acceptance of all everywhere. Students are able to connect in any situation and make themselves comfortable with their fellow students by engaging in a conversation and I believe that's the best quality any school can have.

Kylah

It is a very social environment, although, West Virginia University is known as a party school, the academic is fantastic as well. President Gee encourages students to have fun outside of getting an education and essentially live for the college experience. Overall, West Virginia University has everything a student could want and more!

WVU is a place that many students come to and can easily call home once they are here. There is definitely a sense of pride that comes along with being a mountaineer. I love that WVU offers its students ample opportunities to succeed, the school provides for its students all they could ask for. Once a mountaineer you are truly always a mountaineer, and the country roads are always waiting to take you home.

Brandon

I really enjoy the University and all the oppurtunities that are provided. Sometimes the large crowds get to be a lot but there is always a quiet place to be found. Anyone can find there place at this school, it just may take a good amount of work to find that place among so many people.

Sharon

I think that WVU has incredible staff that definitely have a passion for teaching and for helping its students. Being an Resident Assistant in one of the dorms, I feel that it is an amazing experience that WVU provides to learn valuable life skills. Overall the classes are definitely large, but as you start going into your major classes they shrink. WVU also provides a lot of tutoring services!

Mystik

I wasn't excited about going back to school for another four years of my life, but after touring West Virginia University and attending an Adventure West Virginia summer camp, I am now fully pumped and excited to further my education. Everyone is so welcoming and the pride we all have for our school and state is amazing. I would recommend West Virginia University to anyone and everyone!

Haley

I personally have not attended WVU, however, I do want to. I visited the college in February of 2018, and it was an amazing experience. Despite the freezing cold, it was nice to walk around the campus and learn about the place. Our tour guide was a student who came to West Virginia, all the way from California, which is insane. He was getting an arts degree. He was very upbeat and he knew the school by heart and knew the answers to almost every single question we had. The school is massive, the largest one I have seen by far. My favourite part of the college was the LGBT group. It was so nice!

Kamala

West Virginia University is a terrific University to attend to. The students were active, working hard, and know how to have some fun. I met some students and they were loving and kind. I would love to go back to the campus of West Virginia University.

Bri-Anna

I love this University! I would not want to be anywhere else. There is a handful of academics to choose from. Plenty of tutoring to help throughout the classes. Friendly people, great housing, and great food. Athletics is a great activity to be involved in, whether to be an athlete or just a fan. Country roads definitely took me home!!

Amber

I think WVU is a great, well- rounded school, and I'm proud to call it my home. I believe that anyone can feel at home here, as there is something for everyone. For example, sports fans can cheer on the Mountaineers at the games. There are clubs for every need, and most importantly, you're getting a personalized and very precious education.

Jillian

I enjoy West Virginia University. I am curreny a freshman about to start the spring semester. I enjoy staying in the dorms and meeting new people. There are a lot of clubs and organizations to get involved in. The football games are fun to be at. Everyone enjoys the games, they're a fun time. I’m looking forward to being back on campus after winter break.

Jared

West Virginia University is a beautiful campus with plenty of activities to partake in. Only thing I would change is having all core classes on each of the three campuses (Health Sciences, Evansdale, Downtown), so it is easier for the students to make it to their classes with less hassle.

Jacob

I have always been a fan of WVU it’s been my dream to attend since I was little so once I saw an opportunity I seized it as quickly as I could, the professors are easily accessible and very flexible and over equal opportunities to all students. So over WVU is a great experience and I can’t wait to further my education.

Stephen

A large university with only a few really big classes. Generally understanding and empathetic professors, and an appropriate work load. Go here if you want to lose weight, the school is basically a mountain with the stairs to prove it. The school advertises their resources and opportunities to their students so well that sometimes it's hard to chose which one to take.

Adam

A great university, that I will be proud to graduate from. They make sure school and learning is the top priority, but still have plenty of activities always going on to make sure everyone has fun. The campus is absolutely beautiful and clean. They do a great job managing the facility's.

West Virginia is truly a wonderful place. I believe that any individual, regardless of interests, values, ethnicity, race or socio-economic status, can be not only successful at this university, but have a wonderful time while working towards a degree. Many know that West Virginia has a reputation as a party school. I cannot deny this. If the party scene appeals to you, there is no doubt that you will enjoy your time here. However, because West Virginia has this reputation, along with its extremely large acceptance rate, people tend to write it off as a bad school and that is simply not the case. Regarding academics, I believe that you get what you put in, here at the university. The professors are wonderful and always willing to help. If you put in the effort, you will be successful. There are so many ways to get involved on campus. Any club that you could possibly dream of exists here. If clubs aren't for you, try hiking to coopers rock. Rent a Kayak from the Rec. Center with a friend, and give it a try. Greek life is very prominent at the university. As a Member of the Chi Omega Theta Chapter here at WVU, I believe that greek life is wonderful and does many great things for the community, but you certainly wouldn't feel out of place if you chose not to be involved. The town of Morgantown is certainly one of a kind. It is a relatively small college town, yet it is filled with so much character. The sports presence is also very large at the university. Students and Alumni flood into the Coliseum or Milan Puskar Stadium for every game. Regardless of who you are, or where you came from, when West Virginia wins a game and everyone stands with their arms around each other singing "Country Roads," you will know why they call it "Almost Heaven, West Virginia."

Ty

West Virginia University is a school full of opportunities. It promotes a student to get involved academically, professionally and personally. WVU allows a student the change to study abroad, with internships and work studies. WVU offers multiple undergraduate, graduate and doctrine degrees. I will be a future Mountain in 2019 and am excited to see what the future holds!

As a West Virginia native, I could not imagine attending college anywhere else. However, WVU has a lot to boast despite its 'home' appeal. The campus is very active, beautiful, and safe. There are so many ways to get involved with events and organizations tailored to everyone's interests (including Quidditch club for all of my Harry Potter fans out there). I truly believe that the caliber of professors and the education that you will receive here is unparalleled in any other school in the state and I feel so prepared to begin and compete in graduate school at the medical professional level. Even though the weather makes getting between the multiple campuses frustratingly difficult at times during the winter (leading me to a 4-star review), my overall experience at West Virginia University was phenomenal and I often find myself yearning for my home in Morgantown.

Jordan

I like West Virginia a lot. It is a nice school and well prepares you for the world after college. There are so many diverse students that it forces you to be social. The professors are good, and the food is good. The mountains are absolutely beautiful as well.

Lacey

It is a wonderful opportunity, the university is big, bigger than I would like, but it is good to have it so spread out, there are multiple campuses. The professors are very helpful, and they have office hours, they help during and after class, and if a student can’t make it to office hours the professors take the time to make an appointment with them.

Lucas

West Virginia University is a home away from home. Being one of the only major colleges in the state and having no pro sports teams, the pride for WVU runs far and wide. The whole state has WVU's back. Anywhere I go anymore there's a good chance I'll see the flying WV around. They offer a lot of programs to get students involved and the care the professors provide for the students is unmatched. Academics goes above and beyond their call and the campus life keeps the students involved to keep growing in their life.

Leticia

I really do love this school, it gives me so many opportunities to participate in school activities, clubs, and organization. It really feels like home to me here, and I could definitely say that I made the right decision coming to WVU. It has a lot of character here for sure, the people here are so nice, it is really diverse here as well.

April

I love my school more than anything. Coming here was a huge step for me because I am one of the only graduates from my hometown area in PA that went to this school and I left the state. Sitting in the mountainlair with my friends, running on the bikes at the gym, or just walking by campus at night and seeing Armstrong all lit up, just feels right. The people I've met here are my family. Going downtown to the clubs or to party, everyone is so caring and fun. Even in class when it's exam day and I've forgotten a Scantron, someone is always there to give me one of their extras. Not to mention game days are like nothing you could imagine. Every single person comes together in Blue and Gold to cheer on our team and after the game, win or lose, we all go out together to celebrate our love for being a mountaineer, even on occasion burning a couch here or there. I've never felt more at home and cared for then I have being at WVU. It was my number one choice 2 years ago as a senior in high school and as a sophomore now, it's number one in my heart.

Maya

West Virginia University is an amazing college! It’s a good price, athletics are amazing. WVU would help just about anyone succeed in anything they want! It’s a huge campus. Lots of activity and lots of nice people! I think WVU is a good college choice for anyone who wants a Big population, good price and a good place to live.

Alexis

West Virginia University is a great place. I love the atmosphere and the people here. The majority are friendly, and willing to give you directions or a hand if need be. The classes offered are nice and full of variety. Its a great place to have fun and to get a great education.

Brandily

West Virginia University is an amazing school that I am proud to be part of! Not only are the programs competitive, the professors here really take the time to help students develop their craft. The campus is beautiful overall, and takes my breath away every single day.

Ryan

It is a good school that provides a lot of majors to choose from. There are a lot of things that you can do from education to partying. Overall it depends on what you want to do in college. It is very easy to balance education with nightlife. There are a lot of opportunities to make friends that can last a life time and events to go too.

WVU is the perfect place for anyone who is looking for the textbook version of the "college experience". It's a big school with a large focus on sports, school spirit is lively, there's always something to do, and if you look hard enough you're sure to find a place where you fit. In my experience, if you're looking for a mellow environment where you're not pressured to always be doing something, this may not be the place for you, but if you're always up for a good time, you will fit right in.