Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

I have learned that education is not only from the mind. It is an education of both the mind and heart, which happens to be the school motto. Whitworth encourages their students to take part in community service and learn from both the classroom and the real world. They want you to major in something you are passionate in. I have learned that our career should be something that we love doing, something that we care a lot about. The education at Whitworth has been valuable, because the professors have put effort into their classes, getting to know each student. They make sure that they are available to the students and go out of their way to help individual students. Having visited other schools and attended their large classes, I am so thankful for this atribute of Whitworth University. I am able to learn far more than I would somewhere else.

Whitworth University is the right school for people who are academically focused, yet enjoy physical activity. There are a lot of athletes that perform here, but they all maintain high GPAs. This school is very difficult, so focused and determined people will get the most out of their education. Every personality will fit in on campus, because the resident assistants go out of their way to learn who the people in their halls are, encouraging people to brand out and meet others.

The community here is amazing. People are very firendly and eager to meet everyone else. The school always has activites for the students and the dorms have nightly activities for the residents. Additionally, the school is fun without the need of alcohol and drugs. There is no pressure to do that sort of thing, because it is not allowed on campus. The teachers are all experts in their area, which makes it more interesting to learn.

Jeremy

There is an extreme sense of community and there is a lot of encouragement to develop who you are. Students tend to accept each other and are not overly judgemental regarding the interests of others. For instance, I am a guy who likes to try new things; I enjoy crocheting and rock climbing as well as playing frisbee and longboarding around campus, this semester I will be trying out some "down dog" in my Yoga Class.

Definitely visit the campus you are planning to attend to get a feel for what it will be like. Live on campus for at least your first year, and go to all events that are offered before you start . Be open minded and try new things. Get to know your professors and don't be afraid to ask questions. Apply for all of the scholarships you can as soon as you can. Be informed about programs that are available and take advantage of them. Don't make your decision on the school you will attend based on what others are doing as their interests are likely to be very different. You don't have to know exactly what you want to do but it helps to have an idea. If your professors reccommend books ahead of time, make sure you read them. Enjoy your college time and make lots of friends.

There is not really anything frustrating to me about my school.

Alexandria

I was raised in the age of movies such as "Back to the Future" and "Terminator." If there were to be anything gainied from these movies it would be the question that sparks the imagination: what if I could travel back in time? Now the question is more defined. The question is: what would I do if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior? My answer is simple. I would refuse the offer to go back in time. I am who I am because of my past and only consider the present to be the appropiate time to act and to change the chorse of history. Perhaps this is an original answer, but then again I do remember a similar lesson being taught by the childhood cartoon "Gargoyles."

Smaller, friendly school. Very much into the arts. I chose it because it was close to home for me. The city is bigger than most small towns, but not so big that you cannot figure it out. I liked that it was small for my education. Whitworth is suppose to have a good science program. The professors are very helpful to me and love their jobs.

My father went on the list for a heart transplant my junior year of high school. I grew up very quickly, but at the same time tried to remain young. Looking back on it I was very confused and I feel I had every reason to be. I took classes at the high school in the morning then went to the local community college in the afternoon,where I took a health professions course and obtained my certified nursing assistant license. I think going to the local community college was good for me in some ways, but it took me away from the high school environment. I played soccer so was somewhat involved in the school, but I really felt many of the events and school related functions were childish and a waste of my time. I wanted to stay home with my family and father. If I were looking back on me, I would tell myself to get involved! Stay young. I would not have attended the community college. I would have also taken a music class or something to take my mind off of home.

Its size and it is not diverse. The majority of the school are christians and all think the exact same. Everyone is very into the arts.

Anna

Whitworth is unique because it is a smaller school. Because it is a smaller school it has a very strong community and you get very personal attention from your teachers. This is very helpful because it continually keeps you focused on the things that are important, your education and your life. This school also has a very strong community of Christian believers, which is very helpful. I believe that it is important to surround yourself with believers and this school provides many oppurtunities to do that. There are also many internships and study abroad programs available at Whitworth University.

I would tell myself how important it is to find time for yourself. It is so easy in college to spend time with your friends and spend time studying that you very quickly forget to take time for yourself. As soon as you get settled in, it is important to find a place in the campus that you can escape to. You need to do whatever you have to do to make yourself successful, especially in your first year of school. It is also important to remember that it is ok if you and your roommate don't get along. You will find a group of friends that you fit in with. You will make friends on campus, but you need to remind yourself that it takes time. Its also important to remember not to stress about your grades. Your grades you first semester of school will probably be lower than you want them to be and it is ok. You need to make sure to use your teachers and your teacher's assistant. They are there to help you and are always willing to help you get the grades that you want to get.

My school is best known for the community that it builds for its students. It is a small school and so it is possible to know many people at this school and you always have someone to study with or to watch a movie with on a Friday night. It is also possible to bi=uild a very strong relationship with your resident assistant. My school is also well known for the opportunities that students have through this school. There are many internships and job opportunities available because of the ability of the students and the reputation of the school.

Jeremy

It is rare today that you find classmates that actually want each other to do well no element of sabotage or ill will is found among the school; the students are competing, and each person is intelligent enough to make any competition good sport, but few shy away from group dynamic study methods; diversity is found in the many academic directions and personal thoughts, providing the most diverse world view of any Christian College I am aware of, though in appearance the campus is decidedly white.

There is a distinction between college and high school for a reason. Within college the initiative to succeed is put entirely upon your shoulders. A system of organization is a necessity for success. Organization in meetings, assignments, and studying will allow for a well developed academic experience. Any study strategy that you have been taught is worth trying, everyone studies best in different ways. The best strategy is to try early so that your strategies are set as early as possible. The tests will come quickly, before many will set their strategies. If you do not understand ask, you must ask the same day so that you can keep up. The professor will assume your understanding if you do not ask. If you follow these suggestions you will soon find a pattern and timing for your day and studies, this will leave you with some extra time. In this time you must learn to exercise regularly, it really does help you, and to relax. Relaxing with ping pong, pool, movies and sleeping are all great ways to unwind and not burn out. Even from one semester I?ve seen people burn out on the stress. Be careful.

Any personality can find its fit within Whitworth University. The diversity in the campus life found between East and Warren Halls and even more so off-campus housing makes it possible to live whatever lifestyle you choose. The professors must give a declaration of faith to teach; it is imperitive that one is willing to hear a point of view that is decidedly Christian, though belief in this view is not required. A culture of critical thinking is proliferated on the campus; professors offer their view in hope one will develop one's own conclusions based on the facts presented.

Kathleen

If only this hypothetically scenario were true... If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself...perhaps beg myself...to make my college decision for me, and no one else. I would tell myself not to foolishly believe that by picking a certain school I could become certain kind of person that I will never be. My college decision was based on the dreams of my parents, the stability of my romantic relationship, and the desire to force myself to be a Jesus-loving, happy-go-lucky, outdoors-y, Northwestern college student. In reality, my parents' dreams were never mine, though I tried to tell myself they were. My relationship with my boyfriend was and is strong, and would have remained so even through a less conveinient college choice. And I am a faith-struggling, idealistic-yet-cynical, outdoor-hating, Southern girl who made the worst decision of her life when she chose Whitworth University. My cynical brain tells me that this college experience is a waste...but my idealistic heart tells me that I have learned more about who I am than I ever imagined I could.

I brag about the academic experience of Whitworth. I love the professors in my major (Peace Studies) and I have deeply enjoyed the classes I have taken for my major. I feel as though most of the students within my major are fairly open-minded and that the Professors certainly are.

Stacey

I would say, not to worry so much. Not to worry about what people think- not to worry about how things are going to turn out- not to worry about how I appear- not to worry in general about the things that do not make a real difference in this life. To me, this would be monumental advice because in high school, it can be hard to look past the little every day things and realize that there is more to life. Especially in the transition to college, so much is unknown and worry tends to creep in. You don't have to have everything figured out or be 100% prepared when you go to college. part of the transition is learning what you need and how to live in this new place. Worry is uneccessary. So don't stress, you have time to figure it out and people all around you are still figuring it out just like you. Worrying doesn't make things go faster,;it doesn't fix things; it doesn't even bring comfort; it just makes life harder and gives you grey hairs. So don't worry about tomorrow, tomorrrow will worry about itself.

Anyone who wants to lear, meet new people and discover more about themselves should attned this school. People who know how to study and how to have fun, or at least, who are willing to learn how to balance these two seem to succeed. The best candidate is one who is willing to grow and learn from other people (students, professors, themselves). You don't need to be perfect or have everything figured out to go here. My advice is to be willing to learn and able to adjust.

Anyone who is not interested in learning about different worldviews or life in general should probably not attend this school because they will find deep information on a multitude of subjects that are very applicable to life. If you're not motivated to learn and grow, this could be a difficult place because, without effort, you would probably flunk out, but that can probably be said about any college.

Krista

I would tell myself to take my classes seriously, even if I don't like them. Even though attendance is not taken in college like it is in high school, it is so much more important because everything goes at a much faster pace, and it is so easy to get behind. I would also stress the importance of applying for as many scholarships as possible. Even though the easy way out is to apply for a student loan, eventually these loans will need to be paid! A little hard work now by applying for scholarships will absolutely pay off when I graduate because I won't have so much debt weighing me down along with the stress of finding a job.

The worst thing about Whitworth is that there are not very many older students who attend during the day schedule, like me. If you are an older studet, it is harder to relate to the younger students in class because they are on a different maturity level.

Someone who does not believe in God or that Jesus Christ died for our sins would not appreciate the point of view that many students and professors have.

Coleen

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself advice on a lot of things. I would tell myself to not get caught up in the details of picking a school and just go with the feeling in your heart, because in the end school is still school and even if you pick the most amazing one ever you still have homework and tests and projects. I would tell myself to not be afraid that I'll make no friends at all because that is just not true. You just need to leave your room and walk down the hall and talk to someone about anything at all. I would tell myself its ok to cry in the beginning as your parents and sister drive away, and its ok to feel like you don't know who you are or where your life is going because everything is changing and thats a good thing. Its time to try things you've never done and be adventurous and brave and funny and smart. I'd say college is really scary at first and exciting and sometimes seems too difficult, but so worth it.

We have a very strong Christian emphasis here and it influences factors in to everything we do at Whitworth. Some Christian perspective is discussed in almost every class and although the students do not need to be Christian to attend, all the professors have signed statements of faith and are Christian. Whitworth's moto is "an education of mind and heart" and they truely focus on giving you the tools to create a wonderful future full of success and service to God and humanity.

The community at Whitworth is amazing. Each dorm has such spirit and pride as shown in the traditional yell-off and mock-rock contests at the beginning of each year and the students really care about one another. People will smile and say have a nice day even if they don't actually know you, and everyone holds doors open for each other. I've met such incredible and caring people at Whitworth and I feel blessed to know them all.

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.