Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

Patricia

Make sure that you are going for yourself and not because of other people, even if it's friends or family . Take your time and choose a career that is comfortable to you. Find out as much as you can about your chosen field, to make sure that your career choice is really what you want to do, and it is not a decision that was influenced by others. This is the only way that you will truely be happy, and it will cut down the chances of you wasting time and money, studying in a field that you will later switch from. Surround yourself with people that are majoring in your field, in order to enhance your knowledge and experience. Network, to find people that don't mind helping you, and sharing their learning experiences with you. Be sure that you don't have any unanswered questions. If you are not sure about something, ask questions until you run out. Get aquainted with your instructors, and ask for their advice. Take your education very serious and learn as much as you can. The more you know, the more you're worth...the more you learn, the more you earn.

Anyone that is really serious about pursing a career in radio, television, film, media, or graphic, should attend Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts. It is a relly good place to start. Not only do you gain literary knowledge but, you also get hands on experience and learn to work on group projects, which in turns, help you to develop your knowledge and skills in learning how to make an idea work, through team effort. It give you a taste of what working in the industry would be like. The instructors show a true passion for the industry.

If you are a person that is not interested in pursing a career in broadcasting or media, this is really not the school for you. The instructors are very passionate about what they do, and will push you to do your best and encourage you to get the most out of the learning experience, which could irritate a person that is not really committed.

Benjamin

Friendly, caring people who are eager to see you succeed.

Friendly, caring people who are eager to see you succeed.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, it is difficult to know what exactly would come out of my mouth. I would most likely want to tell myself: Enjoy what you have, you want to be successfull and have a terrific job to support a family and have a fullfilling life, but most of all you need to meet people, try new things, expand your intellectual boundaries and find the kind of person you want to be, because people aren't going to respect the title you have as a professional, or the amount of money you make, they are going to respect you for the words you say, and the people that you influence. Do great in school,but d better in life and love.

One who is willing to evaluate their beliefs and not be afraid to take on new things or ideas.

Theresa

This was a huge decision for me, deciding where to go to college. My senior year was very stressful in the sense that I felt really pressured to make the "right" decision, thinking that what I chose would set the standard for my next four years of life. Now, being about halfway through my freshman year at Whitworth, I would go back and tell myself that it really isn't anything upon which to place an extreme amount of stress. Sure, college is a big deal, but part of the fun is trying to figure out where you belong and who you want to be as this time of transition is occurring. In fact, I have learned so much about myself during these few months that I think my original choice isn't the right fit for me. Growing up is hard to do, but nothing is set in stone. Everything can change in the blink of an eye, which is why I would tell myself to relax, breathe, and think of this as another step into figuring out who I really want to be. Life doesn't have to be so intimidating.

The sense of community is very strong here. As soon as I set foot on campus, everyone was very kind and willing to say hi to me, even though I was just a pre-frosh. Even though it is a small college, it allows people to really get to know each other and create a bond that lasts for a lifetime.

It tries very hard to be a safe and secure place for people, regardless to race, gender and religion, which is obviously a good thing. However, it almost seems to be like a "fairytale", a little too separated from the city of Spokane, so that students aren't completely involved in the community around them. Although people encourage students to get out and explore, its almost like they can't leave the safety of campus without feeling uncomfortable.

Jenna

Whitworth University, located in beautiful Spokane, WA, is a rigorous liberal arts institution comprised of about 2,500 students and excellent faculty that offers an "education of the mind and heart" and is firmly rooted in Christian principles while preparing students for a successful future; the community at the university is welcoming, friendly, and passionate about relationships, exploration, learning, and God, and the small size of the university does not detract from its appeal but rather enables students to build meaningful relationships with each other and with professors.

College is a time of transition, exploration, learning, growth, and independence. High school seniors, though they have glimpsed this imminent freedom, cannot truly grasp the extensive changes that will take place. If I could, I would give myself several pieces of advice before entering this transition. One of the most important things to do in the first few weeks of school is to meet new people; at a smaller university like Whitworth, seeing familiar faces is not as difficult as it would be at a large state school, but trying to learn people?s names and make friends with a variety of people is essential. Even sitting down at a new table in the cafeteria can be a great way to introduce myself to other students. Another important aspect of college is establishing contact with professors. While I may not need help with assignments at the beginning of the semester, ensuring that professors know my name and know I care about his or her class can be important for those times when I need help. Finally, I would tell myself to establish a healthy balance of the social and academic aspects of college?remembering to be intentional about my time.

Although the classes are more rigorous at Whitworth than at many institutions, I wish I had known how well my high school education had prepared me for college-level classes. I wish that a current Whitworth student could have helped me select classes based on my previous educational experience; that would aid me in selecting classes and professors that would enable me to receive the best education possible. I also wish that I had known more about the campus atmosphere and had recognized the friendly, caring community that exists at Whitworth University.

Todd

I would advise myself to rethink my social life and pay more attention to studies. I would also strongly encourage getting an on-campus job right away and to not stop looking for one. I would say to myself that I need to create a schedule and to follow it so as to keep a steady day, and to not have so much stress when studying. Finally, I would advise myself to work harder in everything.

The best thing about my school is that it is very community oriented. Upon arriving on campus, there is a sense of a community of various people of differing social attitudes being built together. The leadershlip and the facutly encourage the building of relationships that are positive and allow a person to grow and succeed.

I wish I had known the real cost of college and had searched for a job on or off campus sooner to help ease the cost. I also wished I had known more about the academics that I was getting myself involved and would have liked to come better prepared for my classes and workload.

Kathleen

I would tell myself to balance the fun stuff with the studying. At college there is way more activities to do than there were in high school. Also, a lot of these activities are free and right on campus so you don't need to drive anywhere. But don't forget to spend time on homework and studying. In college, the professor do not hound you to turn in your homework and papers. There is no more hand-holding in college. The professors expect you to take responsibility for your education because it is your choice to be there. Having fun and studying hard will help you have a good time at college.

Laura

47-year old Laura talking to 18-year old Laura "Do whatever the counselors tell you to do about going to school. It is easier to go to college out of high school than to wait till you are 47 years old, unemployable. Set your goals, and be who and what you want to be while you are young. I know you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, but open yourself up to the possibilities of life. Because if you don't you'll end up like me, at 47, just realizing what life could have been like. College life is easy and fun when you are young, unattached and without the responibilities of a family. To make the most of college life, get involved. Don't let past thoughts and feelings get in the way of what you really want. Don't listen to people that tell you that college isn't for you. Do your best and work hard to follow your dreams. Dreams only come true when you set your vision high and work to achieve excellence. Don't wait till you are 47, and unemployable. Do It Now!"

Christine

I would give myself the advice that there is nothing to worry about. Even if you know no one going into it you will make friends that you will probably keep for a lifetime. I would also say that living in a college dorm room really isn't all that bad. You get used to the cramped space and just learn to deal with it. I would also say that you do totally have time to have social time and still get all your homework done.

The only thing I wish I had known before I came to this college is how friendly people are. I walk on the "Hello Walk" and people I have never met will just say Hi to me and it is really great. Everyone is just so friendly.

The most furstrating thing about my school is that sometimes the systems to get grades and classes are slow and they can close you out. This can especially make it frustrating when trying to sign up for classes!!

Dear High School Senior Kayla, You are such a strong person! You can make it through senior year! Just keep going. College is so much fun and there are infinite possibilities! You are going to double major in Elementary Education and Special Education. You love it, as you always have loved kids. The most difficult part about this transition was being far away from home. It is still a struggle because you are so close with your family, but you are doing great. Be encouraged! It has been really hard not having your support system close, but you have perservered and made it through with flying colors. Just remember to always smile, make tight bonds and friendships, take time away from studying, don't be anxious, keep with your healthy lifestyle. Make sure you always stick up for yourself and stay strong in your values. Never stop being the person you are, you are so able to learn from others, and teach too! Make sure you keep close with your friends at home, especially your best friend. She is so important in making the transition easier. Ultimately, just let go, and let God. :) LOVE, College Freshman Kayla

Overall, I really like Whitworth. The only thing that I didn't like was having to live in an overflow room for all of first semester.

Jun

There is a wide range of personalities on campus, from star athletes to pastors' kids to your every-day college student, so chances are you will meet a bunch of people with interests just like yours.

A couple of things stick out to me right away. First, be honest when you talk to your parents about where you want to go to college. Chances are, they will fund most of your expenses for at least a couple years, so they need to be on board with your decision. Additionally, they can give you some important things to consider when looking at schools, so listen to what they have to say. But ultimately, the choice is yours to make. You are going to be an adult out in the real world, so you need to step up and make the deicision yourself. Make sure you factor in more than just where your high school friends are going. Look into potential majors, the climate, the city, and the sports teams if you are an athlete. I know it's cliche, but most of all, go with your heart. You are going to be at this school for 4 years of your life, away from the shelter of your parents and the familiarity of your friends. Make it worthwhile, enjoy every one of the years you have in college, and just have the time of your life!

The campus is a bit small, the tuition is expensive (being a private school), and the weather is FREEZING cold.

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.