Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Augustana University

michael

Alot of my classmates are good friends, along with being good quality friends they are also foreign exchange students who bring a whole new perspective to how I see things in the world.

As a current college student I would go back and tell myself to relax when first coming into college and not overextend myself in clubs and other excessive activities. I would also say to take some time and find who you sincerely are as a person and to associate with others that you find share a common characteristic you find in yourself and want in others. Along with that I would also encourage myself to stay focused on courses and also find others who are also involved in their learning, beacuse that is what going to college is all about. Also I would stress the fact not to get too stressed about your future, because the future always changes and to have something you think is concrete could one day turn to puddy. Lastly I would suggest to focus on your weakest subject while maintaining your strengths to become a overall better student and person.

I believe anyone should attend Augustana, because it is a close knit community with a huge international draw from many different regions of the world, so it goes to say really ANYONE can, and should, attend Augustana.

Melanie

All the staff here are very friendly and are willing to take time out of their busy day to help you. If you get lost on this campus you can easily go up to a worker and ask them for directions. The professors here are very nice. They give you their cell phone number so that you can reach them if you have a question. Even the food staff are friendly, they always say hi and ask how you are doing. It is so pleasant to have see so many friendly people.

I would advise my high school self to apply for more scholarships and save more money. College is more expensive than I originally thought. I would also tell myself to be completely honest when taking the survey for the roommate assignment. Another piece of advice I would give is to work harder on my people skills. Not only will I need it for making connections in college, but also in the line of work for which I am in training. I would also stress the fact that taking dual credit classes is a very good idea; those classes count as college credits and are easier in high school. My final piece of advice would be not to worry as much and try to have more fun. However, I know what I’m like so I doubt I would listen to myself on that last bit.

I feel that this school is for any type of person. There are alot of activities that a person can go to if they like. These activites are not required so if you do not want to go you do not have to. There is a church service everyday that anyone can go to, if they wish to. This college has some many different clubs to choose from. There are different kinds of fitness classes to attend. Augustana has a little of everything for anyone to enjoy.

If I could go back and give myself any advice it would be to study, study, study and then study some more. When I was in high school, I never thought to schedule a time to study, I just expected my mom to tell me when I should study. I was doing myself a disservice by relying on my mom to keep me motivated. I realize now that it is all on me to decide when and how much I need to study. And now that I am in college, I need to study a lot more and study harder subjects as well. If I could give advice to myself as a high school student, or any high school student, it would be to study in any free time you have and do not depend on other people to make a schedule for you.

Tiffany

I wish I knew how important it is to take notes before, during, and after class. I also wish I would have known that it is ok to not be sure what you want to be when you start college. Take a year or semester to figure it out.

Someone who wants to push themselves. It is a great school for many different areas.

Lidiya

My school is tough, small, but also fun.

My school is tough, small, but also fun.

I would tell myself to listen to my mom, she really does know better. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Most of all I would tell myself to enjoy every moment of college life, because it goes by way to fast and at one moment I will really have to grow up and enter the real world.

The teachers really get involved and are there to help you. They always know your name.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself, first I would tell myself that everything is going to work out. I remember the consuming fear I had about choosing the right college, making new friends, and moving away from home. Therefore, I would consolidate my past self and tell her to hold onto her confidence and patience. I would admit the transition is difficult, but she has strength still undiscovered that will help her adjust. Next, I would tell her to stay strong and open her mind to the oppertunities she is presented with. Being an undecided senior, I constantly had other people pushing me towards making the decision they expected me to make. The stress was overwhelming, and I let it overtake me. I missed a lot of scholarship oppertunities and never decided a major. I entered college as an comfortably undeclared major. I never took up the oppertunities to job shadow around my community, go to career fairs, and research possible careers. This decision is my greatest regret. I was left trying to set up these oppertunities myself while also balancing my work and class load. Lastly, I would say, "Never lose faith."

Someone who is looking for slack-classes and a large campus.

We are a private Lutheran college where all the teachers have their Ph.D. so they are more than qualified to teach their area of subject.

Lauren, as a college athlete, your time is going to be limited. People have been telling you for awhile that things get busier in college, but none of them balanced a sport with classes either. It will seem overwhelming at first, but you can make it. Just get your priorities straight as soon as you get there. You are there to get an education and track is a bonus. Get school work before you go hang out with friends, because they eat up time quickly. You need sleep as an athlete too, so don't stay up all hours of the night. You can't study the same way in college as you did in high school. It's ok to study a week before a test, and it is highly encouraged. Don't procrastinate. It will bite you in the butt.

You are required to live in the dorms for the first three years.

Erica

Augustana is known for a few different things. One thing it is widely known for is its Christian roots. Many students have enrolled in Augustana simply because of this aspect of the school. The students are also involved in the school in many different ways, there's numerous clubs and student activities going on all the time. Students know this school may be focused on education, however there is still much fun to be had.

If I were to travel back in time and have an insightful conversation with my high school self, I believe I'd have much advice to give myself. Someone going to college can choose a couple different paths, they can be 100% fully dedicated to their education and study 24/7, they can party all the time making many new friends but do extremely poorly in their classes, or they can get involved in the fun and safe activities taking place on campus as well as spending ample time with their studies. That is the best road to take. Get involved as much as you can, meet new people, do fun things, however do not spread yourself too thin, and make sure you still have ample time for your education. When I first started, I wanted to be involved in everything, musicals, clubs, etc. and I held down two jobs and pulled good grades. Although that was a blast and I loved it, I was absolutely exhausted and stressed out. Therefore, my official advice would be encouragement to get involved with campus activities, however still make ample time for education and to not try to do too many things.

This school is filled with bright ambitious students from all around the world. Augustana is also strong in its Christianity beliefs. We have a strong population of international students, as well as many students from right here in Sioux Falls. The teachers here do not let you "slack-off," instead they push you to become who they've come to know you can be. If you have big dreams, you're a hardworking student, have strong Christian relationship, and want to have fun with new friends all while studying hard, Augustana is the right place for you to be.

Kelsey

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, I would give myself a few pieces of advice. First, I would tell myself to be prepared to study more than I think I should; college is a lot more challenging than high school so I need to do a lot more studying. My next bit of advice is to be a "social butterfly." In other words, I would encourage myself to meet as many new people as I could. The more friends I make will result in a more enjoyable college experience. Being outgoing and friendly in college will ultimately help in the future because it teaches me valuable social skills. The same goes for professors; the more I interact with them, the more likely they are to write a good Letter of Recommendation for me for graduate school. Also, I would tell myself to not be afraid to take risks. College is a time of exploration and finding who I am as an individual. Risks may lead to mistakes, but then I can learn from those mistakes. Lastly, enjoy every minute of it because it flies by fast.

I wish I would have known to study more than I thought I would need to. I wish I would have known to make as many friends from the beginning when everything is new so that I had a strong friend-base because I have learned that the more people I know, the more I enjoy my college experience.

Someone who doesn't value their education should not attend this school. Someone who does not want to put forth the effort to do well in school. Someone who is all about partying and drinking.

Jasmin

My classmates are brilliant, open-minded, supportive, and most importantly, friends.

Augustana is known as the "Harvard of the midwest." Simply put, Augie is the best of the best, offering a great education close to home.

Dear me, College is incredible, but it is also very difficult. High school prepares you for your classes and for living on your own, but it does not prepare you for the transition from high school to college. I need you to know that it is going to be so hard. Making friends is tough, having a stranger as a roommate is tough, and missing mom's home cooking is tough. You will feel alone at times and you will certainly be overwhelmed, but I need you to just keep stumbling forward. Fake a smile, be a little more outgoing than usual, and try something new. If you can struggle through the transition as if you know what you're doing, one day you will stop missing home and find yourself calling college home instead. It takes time, but I promise, it is worth the ride. Love and hugs, Me

Augustana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.