Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Augustana University

Jasmin

My classmates are brilliant, open-minded, supportive, and most importantly, friends.

Augustana is known as the "Harvard of the midwest." Simply put, Augie is the best of the best, offering a great education close to home.

Dear me, College is incredible, but it is also very difficult. High school prepares you for your classes and for living on your own, but it does not prepare you for the transition from high school to college. I need you to know that it is going to be so hard. Making friends is tough, having a stranger as a roommate is tough, and missing mom's home cooking is tough. You will feel alone at times and you will certainly be overwhelmed, but I need you to just keep stumbling forward. Fake a smile, be a little more outgoing than usual, and try something new. If you can struggle through the transition as if you know what you're doing, one day you will stop missing home and find yourself calling college home instead. It takes time, but I promise, it is worth the ride. Love and hugs, Me

Zachary

I have completed my first semester of college. I wish I had known how difficult the courses were at college. If I were back in high school, I would take advantage of more college level courses that were offered. This would have prepared me for rigor and expectations of college courses. I would advise seniors in high school to develop better study skills. Learn how to study by breaking down textbook chapters and taking notes from the textbook and lectures. I would also suggest reviewing class materials and vocabulary throughout the course by establishing study groups with peers. Participating in class discussions is another great way of contributing to the class but also solidifying concepts and building a collaborative relationship with the instructor. Overall, I would suggest taking advantage of everything you can in high school to prepare for the college experience.

The best thing about Augustana College is the size. It is a small school that embodies a committment to community and sesrvice. Living on campus enables students to develop a sense of community and build lifelong relationships with their peers. Students are able to develop relationships with professors that inspires collaboration.

The small size of Augustana College can also be restricting for students. Minority students may have difficulty relating to other students.

Brianna

Augustana is a community of people who care about one another.

Augustana is a community of people who care about one another.

If I could, I would sit myself down and say, "Listen, college is going to be so incredibly difficult. I know you think you know how hard it will be, but you have absolutely no idea. For the first semester you will come back from class and you will cry. You will cry tears of frustration, tears of loneliness, tears of sorrow, tears heartache, tears of failure... You will call Mom and Dad and all you will do is cry. Speaking of Mom and Dad, this place you are so ready to leave, this home, this town, these people; yeah, you are going to wish you could go back in time and return to this place. You are going to look back and remember how happy you were and how simple life was. In college, you will be tested in so many ways. You will question your beliefs, your identity, and your strength. But you know what? You will grow so much! Through your struggles and your sorrow you will rediscover the world and more importantly, yourself. You will fail. Multiple times. But after your failures, you will succeed. And there is nothing more satisfying than that.”

People who are up for a challenge. People who love people. People who are ready to have their minds and beliefs tested and strengthened.

Augustana is an all-around fantastic school in areas from academics to athletics to extra-curriculars.

Augustana is a smaller school where it is easy to get to know your teachers and classmates on a personal level. The class sizes are small so it is easy to get to know your professor and not feel uncomfortable asking questions. There are various extra-curricular activities to join and the intramural program is easy to partake in!

The first piece of advice I would give to my high school self is to get involved when given the opportunity. So many of the friends I have made are through my work and the clubs I've joined. Clubs and organizations are a great way to meet people with similar views and interests. Another piece of advice I would give to my high school self is to not be afraid to ask for help, especially with homework. Professors are always more than willing to help students with any questions. Get to know your professors so you feel comfortable asking them. Also, tutors and friends are always available for help so don't be afraid to ask them either. The first test in any course is always a little hard, but once you get through that one and know where you are study wise, the rest is smooth sailing. Finally, take advantage of any opportunity given, whether it is an extra seminar or a leadership position or a fun j-term class. You never know how much you like something until you try it, so don't let those opportunities for new experiences pass right on by.

Alexzandra

Starting college classes was a shock. I had expected the transition to be easier because I had consistently taken college classes in high school. I was wrong. At home, I had a mother who told me to do my homework and a stepfather who told me when to go to bed. In my dorm room, there was no one but me. My classes were fast-paced and the teachers were unfamiliar. It was terrifying. I was completely unprepared for how much time that I had to spend studying. Now, I've never been a person for motivational speeches. They bore me, sounding overly rehearsed and insincere. That being said, I have always been one to rise to a challenge and perform well under pressure. I hear so many people say, "things will get better," or "just hang in there." That doesn't work on me. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it gets so much harder. I would tell myself to start developing good study skills and practice god time management, because after graduation, life gets much more complicated. This would have been my motivation.

If you aren't willing to work hard, don't come to Augustana. The teachers are wonderful, but they look for the students who are willing to seek help rather than have it handed to them. Don't expect your classes to be easy.

The community here. The atmosphere is unlike anywhere else that I toured. I have never felt excluded or felt pressured to be someone I'm not. There really is something for everyone here. There are parties, of course, but there are always people and places to turn to if you need a quiet study night. That being said, the omelet bar in the cafeteria isn't a bad way to start your morning.

Augie is an intelligent, but immature party high school posing as a highly regarded institution of higher education with the best of the best students.

Emily, don't play softball. Don't do it. Yes, it does pay for a huge part of your schooling, but you're going to feel owned. You're going to feel trapped. You're going to feel so stuck in something you don't want to do that it will drive you absolutely crazy, and you're going to hate the person you become. But do go to Augie. The friends you make are the best people you could meet, and I guarantee they will be by your side through everything. Plus, they like to prank people too, so you know it'll be fun. But if you take one piece of this away, just don't play softball. You're going to think that it would be waste not to play since you've been playing it since you were 6, but it won't be. You're going to learn that happiness and money are not linked. Softball may cover half of your schooling, but I promise that it definitely is not worth waking up, dreading your day, and feeling trapped and miserable every single day.

The most frustrating thing about my school is, if you're an athlete, feeling like the sport and coaching staff owns you. They expect you to live, breathe, and eat your sport, and you simply can't. If you're not an athlete, the most frustrating thing is feeling like you're back in high school. The population is so small that there is a lot of gossip and judgemental people. Everyone knows each other's business and is very critical about it.

Justin

If I went back in time and talked to my high school self, I would give him this advice. Do not worry about yesterday's struggles, today's struggles, or tomorrow's mystery. Go with your friends and know that your life is shaped by the people you meet. Every person is different and sometimes you don't like to be hang out with them or be near them, but they can teach you the most about yourself. Sometimes, the person in the back of the room by himself or the person who you never talk to beside you can make the biggest impact on your future. It's because of others that you find yourself and your direction in life. Do not worry about the big things of the small things, but look to help others just as if it was you struggling. We all struggle and the best friends come from helping those that you help. They are true friends who will remember you for the rest of their lives. They tell you who you are and who you are becoming. The rest of your life you will be in situations that call you to be there.

The worst thing about the school is the food service is sometimes hit or miss. The meals are usually pretty good, but some days its hard to find good meals.

Every kind of person should attend this school. Augustana is a place for everybody that is looking for an academic adventure in their life!

Patrick

Augustana is best know for its academic prosperity and great oppertunities for its students. Students are given a great oppertunity to leave college with an idea that they will already be able to find a job or something in the field they are looking for because Augustana has such a great track reecord that many employers seek these students out. Augustana is best known for its ability to personally connect with its students in a setting that shows these students that the professors care and are willing to take the extra mile to help you succeed.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a young and immature high school senior, the most important thing I would say is that high school was a breeze. Expressing this to my younger self would mean that I was able to prepare myself a little stronger not only mentally, but physically too. College is a grind and being able to realize the things that need to be done and putting your priorities in order will pay off when the year all comes to an end. Placing the academic and mental priorites ahead of being with friends or leisure is something we never would have to deal with in high school and is one of the hardest transitions I have had to make. Placing these priorities above others is what put me in the opportunistic setting that I have been lucky enough to be part of. Finding a routine is also a huge part of what makes a young college student successful. Also, learning to use the resources available such as study groups and the professors is a great habit to have.

A person who is willing to work for all of the great oppertunities that they see in front of themselves and into the future. A person that wants to go to Augustana must be willing to sacrifice the ability to relax and use that time to go out and make themselves a stronger and more compatablew student for the needs of the college. A person who not only understands that they need to work for evrything they get, but a person that is willing to go the extra mile to make sure things get done.

Karlie

Augustana is best known for it's sense of community. The staff goes out of their way to make sure the students feel welcomed and comfortable. The advisors and mentors do an amazing job of being there for the students if they need them. Also, the students work with one another and reach out to each other at all times. Augustana truly has a "home" feeling where everyone seems to be family.

There is plenty of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior. The most important advice, however, would be to go into college and the transition with a completely open mind and an open heart. Nobody knows what exactly to expect while transitioning into college so hoping for the best, but expecting the worst is sometimes the best idea. I would also advise myself to be extremely outgoing and to break out of my shell early on. It makes finding friends and building relationships so much easier. Being very nonjudgemental towards others is also very beneficial in making the transition. It is so important to keep in mind that everyone struggles their first year of college and everyone handles the stress and transition in a different way. Therefore, one must be understanding, patient, and willing to lend a helping hand for anyone whenever needed. One last piece of advice I would give myself would be to remember that who you were in high school means absolutely nothing in college. College is a brand new start so take full advantage of the opportunity to recreate yourself and start fresh! Enjoy and don't stress!

I would consider the worst thing about Augustana to be how similar it resembles high school at times. Because it is a smaller school it is easier for people to fall into the cliques and stereotypes of high school.

Alexander

The advice i give myself is to always work hard and put school work first to obtain a great degree to earn your career dream. Have fun and make it the best years of your life, but stay focused on the task at hand.

Augustana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.