Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Augustana University

Augustana has a challenging cirriculum, intelligent and knowledgable professors, and accepting students.

The size of campus was a deciding factor as well as the city dynamic.

In high school, students focus on what is the cool thing to do instead of what fulfills themselves. It is important to remember that there is more to life than high school, a wider culture, larger diversity, more serious life changes, and consistent change. Focus on being yourself and finding who you are so that you may have a firm foundation to build upon in college.

hector

My advice would be to never take for granted the people you have met in your life. Also utilize every lesson that has been learned and continue life with an open mind because there is always a lesson to be learned whether it be a recipe for a food or a procedure for preparing a specimen. Another thing i would tell myself is to share your story with everyone. Always apply for scholarships because there are people and groups that are dedicated on helping out studentsthat need financial support like Campus Discovery.

Tiana

When I was in high school I thought that college, even a community college, would be different. It is not. You still have the same stupid cliques, the same stupid drama, and the same types of teachers. The actors do get weirder though. No real big surprise there. There is a bit more freedom in what you study and what you do, but your peers will still pressure you into NOT joining some stupid club, or voting for student body president. Another thing that gets weirder in college is the locker rooms. Trust me, nothing quite makes your morning go south than a naked old woman showering in the locker room. Gross. But nothing is as awesome as a HOT shower after dance class. You will meet some amazing professors and students though. There are still people out there that you should try and talk to, because they can be facinating. That self-proclaimed "compositionist" English teacher? He has some amazing ideas. That weird girl that wears the collar? She is really smart and funny. Talk to people and place judgements aside. Your college experience will be much better for having done so.

Alison

Augustana is a big deal in South Dakota, but here's the deal, it's South Dakota, which is not a very big place so don't be afraid to look beyond Sioux Falls--travelling abroad should be your best friend. You will get out what you put into your education.

Augustana College has a very good reputation in the area, especially in the areas of education, nursing, music, and the sciences. Like I mentioned in the previous box, outside of the Midwest, it's just another private, liberal arts college.

You have the most wonderful gift--life. An education is going to help you make the most of it, but life doesn't begin after graduation. It's happening right now. Studying, homework, experience, all of those things are important, but before you can really put them to use, have dreams. In college, you will go to Argentina, play rugby, and write poetry. You will be amazing and goofy and lazy. What's more important is that you don't dwell on what others want. Take advice now and then, but follow your gut (you have intuition for a reason!). The first days, weeks, months will determine how you shape your days. So start running early. Being away from Mom and Dad will feel so freeing, but coming home will become less frequent. Hug them. Know that there are some lectures worth waking up for, and some that aren't; get up anyway! Like Dad always says, it's better to be making money than spending it (emphasis on not spending)--keep your day job, it'll remind you that doing homework isn't so bad. Live a little, I'll see you in New Student Orientation.

dafina

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself to be prepared. I didn't think college would be as difficult as it actually was. I would tell myself to get into a strict study habit in order to get used to the study requirements that come with a college education. I would also tell myself to try and find a good social and school work balance because college demand a lot of time with the homework and studying that needs to be done and figuring out a balance between your social life and your school life is important in order to "survive" college. I would tell myself to not be scared, yes college is a big step and a big change from high school but it is also the best change one can make. You become more open to the world and is truly the place where you find yourself and the person that you want to be.

The best thing about Augustana College is the community and the the relationships that you form with your fellow students and professors. The Professors are always willing to help you with anything that you have to ask them, there is no dumb question at Augustana. Since the classrooms are small you get a better learning experience because the professor can focus on a small number of students as opposed to large lecture hall classrooms like in some other colleges. Overall Augustana is an amazing college to attend I wouldn't recommend any other college to anyone.

I wouldn't say that there isn't a specific person that should attend Augustana. We have a wide variety of people that attend Augustana, but if i had to I would say that Augustana is perfect for students who like a wide variety of course selection and very high rated majors. I would also recommend Augustana to students who want small classroom sizes and a little bit of a challenge in their courses. Augustana is a decently small college so it's very easy to make friends and get to know people and fit in very quickly.

Clayton

The classes that teachers told me would prepare me for college weren't necessarily always the best to take. Any student to who is responsible and can take school seriously will be able to handle college. Instead of taking classes that were "college preperatory" I would have taken more classes that offered actual college credit. Classes such as AP or even college classes that were offered through the school would have been much more advantageous. As far as extra-curriculars were concerned I would have participated less. Teachers kept telling us if we wanted to get into a good college we needed a million extra-curriculars. Extra-curriculars are good to a point. There are too many kids working a job, playing 3 sports, and in the school play. When I was in high school I should have kept more time for myself. Live life and have fun with friends. There will always be another cause and another organization to join. My high school friends and memories came and went too fast. The relationships in life are what makes it sweet. I wish I could go back and savor those nostalgic moments.

A person who is not afraid to be challenged. The school has a reputation for being difficult and for good reason but the school offers a plethora of resources to help you succeed.

My school is really fun. All the people are extremely friendly and ready to have a good time.

High school was the stepping stone to my career. Taking high school more seriously could have helped me out instead of slacking. When it came time to transition to college, summer shouldnt be an exucse to slack off either. Instead, I encourage students to keep their brains up to date. Simply complete math problems, rent pratice books from the local libary, and even contact your professors to get a heads up on what they will be teaching. College is all about determination and planning. During the transition have a plan mapped out such as money to spend in food, communting or living on campus, and what career path will that student pick. Be determined to be the best of all your classmates, stand out to your professors on the grading scale. All future college students should understand advancing onto college will predict whether they achieve high expectations in life or work at a grocery store for the rest of their life. The transition to college is about becoming someone, shaping a child to a well rounded knowledgable adult ready to tackle the real world.

Brynn

The first thing i would say to myself would be that college is very important if you want to be successful in this world. I would say that goingto college right out of high school is what should be done. Do not procrastinate or wait 10 years like I did. I put my dreams on hold to ensure someone else's happiness and that is not a great idea. Education should come before any man/woman. Some learn that the hard way and the 2012 me learned it that way. As a high school senior, you have your whole life ahead of you so do not rush it and try to grow up so fast. You should enjoy and embrace the college life and get yourself established and graduated before trying to please others. The high school "me" is still very passionate about helping others before myself as is the 2012 "me", but you only get the opportunity to endure all that college has to offer if you choose to better your education and make a life for yourself.High school senior "me" needs to take care of herself first and others last and remember that dreams do come true.

Mary

Everyone is very helpful and friendly you can talk and make friends with almost everyone.

Study study study. Don't fall behind in classes when you start in the fall once you fall behind you will spend forever trying to catch up and then you will feel desperate. Don't give up on yourself and always believe you can do it. Work every day to do the best you can. College is a change and leaving home for the first time is hard but a year from now when you are going back for your sphomore year you will not regret the decision. Don't be shy people will love you! You will make a lot of new friends it will just take time!

Upper class housing. There are not enough apartments avaliable for those who want to stay on campus there junior and senior year.

Santos

Well if I had known then what I know now about college, I would have advised myself to study hard and make good use over time. Because campus life is to make the most of it is studied once in life and if you want to get ahead have to start from the beginning with enthusiasm and strength. In the past I would have liked me to have the ability I have now I would have avoided many problems but I was never a bad person could do better work than they've done so far. But we can not turn back time I have left now is to optimize, to one hundred percent what I have at the time and to achieve my goals and continue with the greatest enthusiasm. For so my family can get ahead and be able to promise a successful future. So with the help of God to follow my path and to prosper.

Augustana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.