Mankato, MN
Bethany Lutheran College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bethany Lutheran College

Juliana

Bethany Lutheran College is a Christian-based college where students learn not only how to survive out in the real career world, but they also learn how to make life-long friends and future career contacts, but they also learn how to do so as Christians and learn how to maintain their faith and at the same time acknowledge and understand other people's religions.

Hi, Juliana. This is you as a college student, in the future. I am here to tell you a few things about college. I know that you are a little nervous and very excited. Let me tell you this: Bethany is DEFINITELY the right choice for you. You will make so many life-long friends! You will enjoy almost all of your classes. You will need to work very hard if you want to succeed. You can't have all fun and games. If you work hard, you will be very rewarded in the end. You need to not be afraid to talk to others that you don't know, because to be honest, they are just as afraid to start a conversation with someone, and they also are wishing just as much as you are that someone would start a conversation with them. Bethany is an amazing place to keep your faith strong. You will have so many amazing opportunities that can teach you so much. The education and connections you make will be priceless! Oh, one last thing, don't act like this is another high school, because it's college! Grow up and be responsible; have fun!

Because it is a private college, Bethany is very expensive even with financial aid. Sometimes the prophessors are either gone or too busy to help the students out. Bethany is also starting to get a lot more students than there are computers or equipment, so one pretty much has to own his or her own equipment or computer by the time they are a junior and senior.

Christina

My school is best known for its small, tight-knit Christian community. All the students and faculty work well together and form bonds and friendships that don't happen as often at larger colleges and universities. The Christian atmosphere are also prevalent in every single department--their missions and what professors teach and how both professors and students show their positive Christian attitudes both on and off campus.

It's going to be scary. You may think you're ready to leave home, but no amount of thinking about it will prepare you for actually saying goodbye to your family for the first time. Don't underestimate how much you'll miss them. Living on your own is like nothing else you've ever experienced so far. But don't underestimate yourself, either. You can definitely handle college life. It's different, and it will take getting used to, trust me. But you're a tough cookie. Don't be afraid to make friends. Be willing to talk to people, and don't give in to the temptation to hole up in your room because you're scared to put yourself out there. It's scary, but it's totally worth it. You'll make friends the first few weeks whom you'll treasure forever. And remember the most important thing: God is with you. God has a plan for your life, and he works everything for the best. There will be times you want to give up because everything's going wrong. But know that nothing happens without a reason. Trust God. He has everything under control.

The most frustrating thing is lack of a coffee shop. There is a volunteer-run coffee bar which opens in the evenings, but it would be wonderful to have one open all day with a greater variety of coffee and pastry selections for a snack in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night.

Lindsay

Knowing what I know now, being in the second semester of my freshman year, I would tell myself not to worry! I would reassure myself that I made the right decision in coming to Bethany Lutheran College, and tell myself about all of the wonderful people I have met. Of course there have been some rough times, as there always will be, but the people here have been able to get me through them. I would explain to myself what makes Bethany so unique - that not only the friends I would make will get me through the tough spots, but the faculty will as well. Don't be afraid to talk to them! One thing I would be sure to mention is about life in the dorms... it really is not as bad as I was expecting it to be. There is a strong sense of community in the residence hall. The final pieces of advice I would give myself are to not procrastinate, be self-disciplined, and BE YOURSELF! I would make sure I knew that people really do love me, and I need to finally show people who I am without holding back.

I wish I had known how much support I would receive from the faculty and staff, the wonderful friends I would make, how accepted I would feel, and what a special place this is in general. Had I known these things, I would have been much more excited about coming, and would never have had any doubts.

When telling friends about my school, I always find myself bragging about the amazing "family" sense there is here. Not only are the students friendly, but the faculty/staff and professors are incredible. They genuinely want their students to succeed and will help them to achieve their goals. I really feel like I am a part of the "Bethany family" and I am convinced that I could not be happier anywhere else. Bethany is a special place, and I will always brag about that. I feel very lucky to be here.

The first bit of advice would be to work hard and save up some money. I had a job through high school, but saving money was never my strong point. If that had been different, I would have lot less to stress about right now. Secondly, I would be advise getting involved with more activities sooner. I enjoyed theatre and drama in high school, but was too shy to try out once I got to college. Now, in my junior year, I have participated in various activities, but I could have been more involved earlier on and been even happier. Finally, the best piece of advice I could give my high school self would be, "Call your mother when you're off at school."

The winter! Bethany is in Minnesota and the winters here can be pretty rough sometimes. All in all, though, I am extremely satisfied with the school

The availability of student computers is lacking. There are too few computers for the number of students on this campus.

Ethan

From all over the grade-level spectrum; freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors could all be in the same classroom for a given class.

You may or may not have attachments to old high school friends. If they do influence you to go to the same university/college, be sure to know what you're getting into. Know what that uni/college has to offer for *you*. It's not selfish, but college will end sometime, and you don't want regret missing an education you could have had at another school, especially if that school was cheaper. Know what setting you want, also. It basically comes down to wanting to have one of two things: to have a tighter-knit experience of going to a school of town with 50,000 or less people, or wanting to be a part of an urban sprawl with much more to do(suburbs are relative and close to urban sprawls).

It's communications and art programs are spectacular, though I'm not a part of either. For me personally the best thing is its proximity to publishing houses (Minnesota has the second most publishing houses in the US, behind New York), and old friends who go to school nearby.

Andrea

Arts, religious affiliation, size, and communications program. It handles the hockey broadcasting for local schools.

It's a small and religiously based. I was familiar with the campus already and knew a lot of people coming here. I had heard that the teachers were very helpful and knew the students by name, not a number. Finally, it was close to home.

Go somewhere you feel comfortable and don't be afraid to try new things. This is the place where you find out who you are and you can't make find your true self unless you are willing to make mistakes. Remember you are paying for your education so don't waste your education time, but make time to meet new people. You can learn inside and outside of the classroom this way.

Pray about it. God knows more than you do where you are supposed to be. Explore your options, research several different schools. Where you end up may be much different than where you initially planned to go. Once you get to school, get out and meet people. Obviously, schoolwork is important, so manage your time wisely. But don't forget to have fun with your friends. The people you meet at school may be your friends for the rest of your life! Also, study abroad! It will open your mind up to the rest of the world and will change your life for the better. You will meet people that you never would have otherwise had the chance to meet, and they too will become wonderful friends.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be the lack of diversity. Most people end up being teachers or pastors, and none of them really experience venturing out into the world. I spent a semester abroad, and when I came back, everyone seemed boring and satisfied with where they were with no true sense of adventure. They are all the same.

Bradley

Bethany defies easy description. Although it is a small school, it has many opportunites that most small schools don't, due to its close proximity to the University of Minnesota, Mankato. Yes, it has strong academicians, but it also has strong athletes, strong musicians, strong people of faith. There are a surprising number of African Americans and Asian Americans, considering the schools size - about 600.

A lack of cohesion. For a campus this size, I should know everyone by name. But because of the cost (low for private liberal arts colleges, high for everything else), people come and go. Because some of the students live off campus, or others have a different major and go to class in a different building, or eat in a different place, I don't get to know everyone as well as I could. I came from an extremely cohesive high school, so my opinion is a bit skewed. That is the one thing I'd like to see changed.

Anita

pick one that feels like a home you want to be in. pick one that has people you like to be around. pick one with EVERYTHING you are looking for, not just the latest technology or the best reputation. the decision should be based on YOU - not your parents, not the college, and not the price tag (although that can make a huge difference)

personally, the worst thing about bethany is that it is so far away from my home.

a religious student who wants a small school experience and wonderful professors

Jonathan

My school is perfect for the conservative that plays well with other conservatives, but if you're not, there's still likely a place for you.

Students, don't be afraid to take a leap of faith and do something you've never done before. Parents, you're kid is going to make mistakes, no questions asked. Just make sure that when they do they learn a valuable and lasting lesson from it.

Things are vast schisms between social groups within the school that can sometimes make a person feel out of place or even without a place.

Bethany Lutheran College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.