Butler University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Butler University

Alexandra

THIS SEEMS TO BE AN EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD UNIVERSITY. THE PROFESSORS ARE EASILY ACCESSIBLE (I EMAILED THEM LAST WEEK WITH SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT ACTUARIAL SCIENCE AND THEY SENT ME AN INFORMATION-PACKED REPLY WITHIN DAYS), ACADEMICS ENCOURAGES YOU TO GO BEYOND THE CLASSROOM, AND THE FACILITIES (ESPECIALLY THE BRAND-NEW BUSINESS BUILDING) ARE WELL-ADAPTED FOR THE MODERN WORKING WORLD. I AM DEFINITELY APPLYING.

Victor

It's a private school, be cautious of your money. However, Butler has fulfilled its duty in having many resources, tutors, great professors, nice dormitories (Not Ross) and alright food. Study as much as you can and always seek professor's assistance when they're available. The outcome either positive or negative is mostly determined by you if you're balancing your social, academic and physical(the food may get to you) life well.

Ally

I enjoy the school and am very happy that I am a student here. The class sizes are perfect for me and the professors are more then willing to assist and address any needs that I have. I like the student opportunities but wished there were more on campus things like dining and shopping.

sam

Butler is a great option for someone who is looking for a new home. The campus is beautiful in the spring, and people are very active. It's hard not to make friends because there so few of us. ITs not uncommon to see the same person three times a day. It's not just 4 years, it's for life.

Butler is an excellent university, very dedicated to its students. There are issues with the school, but overall they do not detract from the experience. The student population is not extremely diverse, but it is becoming more so every year! The students are mostly well-informed and generally kind people. The academics are excellent and there are tons of different class offerings, especially for a smaller school. It feels like a home away from home!

Carly

Butler is an amazing school that has and will bring me everything I want in a college.

Brea

The academics are greatly valued! People know Butler for two things: Basketball and academics. Campus is a nice size. You will always see someone you know when walking to class or just walking on campus. Students are friendly and always help each other. There are great professors who offer help through a variety of office hours. Great city location with broad ripple, shopping, and stores near by.

Butler University takes your education and college experience seriously. They want you to have fun and get a quality education. Overall, Butler is very personalized with small classes and a small campus where you know almost everyone. Each program seems to be top notch and evolving to meet current needs. Nearby or on campus there are plenty of restaurants, plays/musicals, sports, etc to go to. Indianapolis is a big city, but not too big.

Caroline

It's not my kind of school, but lots of people are happy to be here. My dorm is extremely outdated, but it's the last year for this one. There is only one main dining hall. The library closes at midnight, so not ideal hours. There is very little diversity here. The majority of classes are small, 10-30 people.

Jackson

Butler is a great academic school. Classes are interesting but challenging and there are great resources around campus where you can get help and utilize to maximize your success in classes. Sometimes the social scene can be clichey but there are lots of ways to get involved.

The campus is beautiful. Although it may be a little pricey the education experience and the opportunities available makes it worth while. Students and staff are all so friendly and welcoming so you never feel out of place while on or around campus.

Ally

Butler University provides students with amazing opportunities on and off campus that allow them to broaden their horizons academically, professionally, and socially. Butler is a wonderful school that offers outstanding academics no matter the field of study! I would highly recommend applying to this university and seeing what opportunities await you!

Brady

I love the school! Butler has given me the opportunity to grow as a person in more ways than one. Butler has changed the person that I am for the better. I have truly found my home, and it rests with the people who attend the school. The people that i have met are the most compassionate people, who want to grow and help you to grow.

LYUDMILA

Best of the best, great academics and professors.

Catherine

Butler University is an amazing place. The students here are so friendly, and I have never seen a campus more filled with dogs. The class sizes are small and my professors definitely know my name and care if I come to class. There is no other college that I would rather be at.

Jenna

Butler is an amazing school with plenty of opportunity to get involved with new organizations. It is a private school, so it is expensive, yet the academics and the professors are top notch. Everyone that comes to butler wants to be there. They want to learn, and they want a well off future.

Erik

Its a great university that is only getting better. They are in the process of building a brand new business building that will be state of the art. They are showing former, current, and future students that they care about how they are perceived and only want to continue to be better.

Tristan

The school is a good fit for many, I'm sure. Athletes, business students, pharmacy students, fraternity pledges, and partiers excel at this school. However, steer clear of Butler if you are decided on a major in the humanities. The professors and courses are excellent, but campus life is trying.

Bailey

Butler is the best college that I could have chosen. I could not be happier here. The class sizes are below 30 in nearly all of my classes, which is amazing for a University. The food may not be five-star material, but it isn't horrible and will totally sustain you.

kaela

Butler University is a great school for the affluent class. The professors are nice an love to help students out when they put the work forth. The location of the University has its pros and cons. There mare many shops and mall to visit, but we are located in a food desert. You have to travel more than 5 miles to get to the nearest Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Erin

I believe Butler University is a well-rounded and amazing school to attend. I love it here and I wouldn't change my decision going here for the world. Everyone you meet is so incredibly friendly and welcoming. We all are one big family and it felt like that the moment I stepped on campus. There is positivity everywhere and you can make friends easily. The professors are nice and are willing to help you to the best of their abilities. Butler is a very diverse school mixed of beliefs, opinions and different people. You meet amazing people and learn so many new things. Butler overall is the best school in Indiana. It offers so much to its students and once you graduate you have easy access to any jobs and already have a head start for your career.

Christian

I am pleased with my decision to attend Butler University because there is so much to love about the place. The people are supportive in your educational and career goals. Outside of the classroom there are many opportunities to get involved including clubs, greek life, sports (club/Intramural/varsity), student government and so on. The residence halls are alright. The underclassmen residence halls are fairly new and hotel-like. Upperclassmen apartments are alright. Kind of small but will be out and about most of the time next year. There is much construction going on at the moment including a new residence hall and business building. The food is not the best but good. The party scene come and goes. Butler Basketball is the best! Parking seems to be in much need. All in all, I love Butler University and can't wait to be back this fall. GO DAWGS!!!

Ally

When I was first applying to colleges, going far away from home was my dream. Butler University was the only in-state school that I applied to. I ended up being a walk-on to the volleyball team. While that did not turn out as planned, I fell in love with Butler aside from the athletics. The constant drive and support from professors is astounding. Each professor that I have had truly wants the best out of each student. With Butler being a liberal arts based school, it prepares students for being not only outstanding in their field of study, but also a well-rounded student and adult for whenever we are to enter the work place. Butler University is about twice the size of my high school. I am fond of the small community that Butler has built that is not only in enclosed to the campus, but extends out into downtown Indianapolis and around Indiana. No matter where you go, you see someone you know along with someone new. I am proud to wear the Butler Bulldog on my chest and close to my heart on and off campus. It is a feeling of family when everyone comes together for the notorious basketball games or listening to someone speak at diversity gatherings. Butler’s reputation is certainly something to be proud of and want to withhold for any future Bulldogs that may come along. Butler will push you academically but give you the freedom to find yourself in a place that will automatically make you feel at home.

Butler University is a place where individuals and opinions are valued. The professors are very approachable. Class expectations are high, but not unmanageable. It is a beautiful campus that is going through a lot of construction transitions right now. My time at Butler has been the best years of my life.

Olivia

I can't imagine myself anywhere else, there are so many benefits to pursuing an education at Butler University. It is the perfect middle ground school that is not too big and provides intimate relationships with students and professors, but also is not small enough that you know everyone. The conversations are always thought provoking and give you a better perspective of the world.

Maria

Butler University is a middle-sized school with a big school atmosphere. In the classroom, professors will know your name. Outside of the classroom, there are many different groups and organizations where you will be sure to find an interest in. On-campus housing buildings are being built brand new and so is the business school.

Aine

Butler is a great small school, with the feel of being a large university. Everyone is engaged and enjoys their time there. There is always an event happening or people encouraging students to get out there and get involved with something. Basketball is one of the key things on campus as well, the games are essentially a common ground for everyone to get to know each other.

I am a current student at Butler, and I'm so happy I picked this school! I am so happy with the small class sizes, and the fact that all of my professors are accessible and know my name! While Butler is an expensive private college, I'm happy with the education I am receiving. Go dawgs!

Margo

Butler University does an outstanding job of fostering a love of academics by encouraging student-faculty interactions, extra-curricular participation, and exemplifying the "Community of C.A.R.E." Each person that steps onto Butler's campus can expect to be respected and pushed to be the best the can be from academic and professional standpoints.

Kennedi

I'm going to be heading off to Butler in the fall of 2019 and I'm really excited! Living so close to the campus, I've been surrounded by Butler students for pretty much my whole life. I had many teachers that were Butler students and all they did is rave about the school. In my junior year, I finally visited campus for the first time and fell in love. Everything from the students, faculty, academics and location is just perfect for me!

Sidney

I love Butler! It has become my second home. I feel so comfortable here, everyone is friendly and willing to help with anything. Professors genuinely care about your success and are always willing to meet with you. They connect you to other resources and I have had so many doors opened to me by professors. I cannot hype Butler up enough!

Corri

Butler University is by far my favorite college that I have visited and I am so excited that i have been accepted and that i am going to attend there in the fall of 2019. The campus is small but that is why i like it the most. The community is so close knit and wherever you go, it feels just like home and thats by far what i wanted in a college that ill be calling home for the next 4 years.

Declan

Upon visiting Butler University I knew that it was definitely the college for me. I am from a small Catholic school in Illinois and therefore found "medium-sized" college very suitable for my size- based needs. After my campus visit I realized that this is exactly what I was looking for in a college- from the academics to the extracurricular activities. I am excited to start my school year in the fall of this year!

I love Butler. I am a current freshman, and I feel completely at home. The one thing that really drew me to this college was the atmosphere. The community here is incredible. We have a thing called "The Butler Way." It pretty much means that everyone here is absolutely willing to go out of their way to help others. Everyone is very friendly and caring, including the professors. I can tell that my instructors are one hundred percent dedicated to their teaching and helping us learn. I am confident that I can ask any of my professors to for assistance, and they would be more than happy to explain things to me. The courses themselves are interesting, engaging, and applicable. I feel that I am genuinely learning relevant information in each one of my classes, and I'm enjoying doing so. My one complaint about Butler would be the cost. It is a very expensive university, and I don't think they do enough in terms of need-based financial aid. However, it's a wonderful school, and I'm so glad that I decided to enroll.

Autumn

It is a beautiful campus, but the dorms are lacking and there is not a whole lot of places to eat on campus. I do love the clubs and events on campus, and the arts programs are absolutely stellar. I hope that the housing situation will get fixed but I don't see it happening soon.

Cynthia

As a student at Butler University, I think it is an amazing option for those of you interested in pursuing a graduate program or some sort of professional, business occupation. You never feel like "just another number" and it has the big campus energy with the small campus specialty.

Monica

As a fellow minority and person who cares about equality, do not come here if you’re a minority. The way they treat minorities is so terrible. I know there’s racism everywhere, but every single friend of color I had, transferred. Hispanic, black, Asian, even adopted Asians who didn’t even identify as minorities until they came here transferred. Do you know how damaging that is? Even professors of color left because of how some students and other faculty were treating them. I did everything people say to do, I gave this university time (2 years), did a ton of clubs (7), and even joined Greek life, but it’s still horrible. I have gathered and written down the racist experiences students have gone through (that’s 8 pages) and my friends and I were gonna discuss it with the president but we couldn’t get a meeting with him or the vp of student affairs for over a year, the faculty just doesn’t prioritize their students. The already prevalent racism on campus just got worse after the coronavirus, it’s sad. I never write reviews and I was debating whether or not to do it but thinking of high school seniors who don’t know yet and what I wish I had known, I want you to know how horrible the experience has been for my friends and I, and even some alum I’ve talked to. Imagine, every single poc you know, gone within 2 years, that’s saying something and should be enough to warn you about all the things I can’t say here.

Tatiana

Academically, Butler is a really good school. The class sizes are small, the professors always readily available and wanting to help. There are also so many programs available. However, outside of that, Butler is pretty heavy in Greek Life, the dorms are all new, minus Ross Hall, which was supposed to be torn down, but the school has gone into housing crisis mode and still needs it. We just got a new food provider so I'm not sure how food will be this year, but in years past, it's never been great. There's not really anything within walking distance from campus, either. There's a reason we call it the Butler Bubble.

Olivia

It’s a great school. As a hopeful dance major, I love the faculty and style of ballet they teach. It’s classical but very elegant and different to anything I’ve seen. Academic classes are in the morning and dance classes are in the afternoon so you don’t have to re warm up multiple times a day b

Erica

I enjoyed my time at Butler University, and at the time thought it was a great school. However, looking back, I realize it was a little insular. The campus is not very diverse and it is decidedly located in a residential part of Indianapolis, so incorporating yourself into the city is difficult. While the academics were great, professors were accessible, and there wasn't anything I felt missing at the time, I wish now that I had gone to a school that was more involved in politics and the community. I think we had a very conservative and white population that didn't challenge my world view as much as I would like these days.

I love Butler and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. It appears to be working to better its campus; however, it needs to be more transparent with its students. We have little knowledge as to how the housing process is going to work for the upcoming year and many sophomore students ended up living in a freshman dorm because it was overflow, we were not told of that until the day of housing assignment. Butler is also always asking for money and fundraising but with the cost of attendance and the budgets of many programs they have a lot of money, leaving many students to wonder where it goes and why we have some buildings on campus that are barely standing. For many students, there is a debate if Butler University is really worth $60,000 a year. Though I love my school and have no intention of ever going anywhere else, I do not think it is. It is a small campus so you are not going to get what a large state campus has as far as shops, services, and accessibility but if a small campus is what you're looking for Butler should be a school you consider.