California State University-Channel Islands Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Channel Islands

christell

Overall it is a nice school, This is my first semester as a transfer student and unfortunately due to the pandemic all of my classes are on online. However the campus looks clean and well kept, also the food is decent. My teachers seem nice and have reasonable office hours.

Alyssa

It's a beautiful campus with a lot of great history that you can learn about depending on the classes you take and the professors who are often knowledgeable about the campus history, the professors for the most part are decent and helpful some more than others. I always review my professor on Ratemyprofessor before taking a course just to ensure I have the best college experience in a course as I know the way I am being taught the material heavily effects my understanding and my grade in that course. While there does seem to be a lot of variety to majors and different classes you can take, some of the class times often run at the same time limiting just what sort of classes you can take vs classes you might want to take, I would also consider seriously looking into the type of major you want to go into and see if the college you're applying for is offering it, do a little research before entering a college and it will go a long way. Once you make connections and are able to find resources to help you it makes the experience better, especially if you speak with Major advisors to go over your class schedule and your vision for your future on your academic journey. These are all things I wish I had considered or have considered before I went into Channel Islands, overall my experience so far has been positive. Though with the Covid outbreak it has made things more complicated, because of that I would seriously consider researching your professors before taking any sort of classes as a way to gauge whether they are handling the switch to online classes accordingly. Overall I am happy to be gaining my Bachelor's degree at CSUCI though I do wish I had looked into their programs a little more closely, on the plus side it does allow me to earn a minor degree as well as a major and will hopefully help me progress toward my overall goal of becoming a conservation zoologist.

Karina

CSU Channel Islands is a great college to attend. Because it is the newest of all 23 campuses it is one of the smallest. With less than 7,000 students, 70 clubs and organizations, and the overall campus community, this school really feels like a private school, but at the cost of a public university (thank goodness!). Teachers and administrators seem to really care about students and want to make their experience the best one available. I am very happy with my choice to attend here and wouldn't change it if I could. There are many opportunities to become involved if you would like too!

Jasmine

At first I was very anti-channel islands I thought I wanted to go to a school that was farther away for the Ventura County area. To see other places but as I was researching other schools like UCSB and CSUN the sooner I started to realize that those schools were highly populated and their majors were very impacted. I did not to go to a school were I felt comfortable to be myself

Amber

Its an amazing school I love it! I'm an art major and i never thought i get so much out of it. I'm a junior and i think that the school is a well put for student they work with you and always there when you need them. I'm also part of there disability program which offers a lot of benefits from my learning, like note being taken for me i can record lectures and over all get a better understanding of my courses. I work at the school library stacking books since my freshman year and was promoted to being a student assistant in the media department this year. while working at the school student are treated like students first and employs second in any department at the school. and at the library there are many benefits for students ranging from renting books form your course so you don't have to buy most of them, equipment like cameras laptops and a lot more. i also believe that this school has a very diverse campus. i hispanic gay but i not judge by it here the same goes for most people with different background. i was welcome with open arms i meet other member of the lgbt group they introduce to more people and help me understand that i wasn't different or alone. i wouldn't have met or became who i am today if it wasn't for this school and I'm happy and proud i here at CI. this school has different experiences for every one but it the way but mine and many others it a great one.

Barbara

I love going to this school. It really opened up a lot of doors for me and it made me into a better person. I remember being a freshman and being at the school by myself and feeling scared. The professors were all very nice and helpful and really pushed me into securing my career goals.

Lesley

I think its a good school overall. They just have minor things that might need to be worked on here and there. The campus is clean and makes me feel safe which is a pretty good thing. The professors usually do care and are always there to help along with staff around campus.

Jefferson

Fresh out of high school I had my heart set on attending CSU Long Beach. However, my mother convinced me to venture out of my comfort zone and try CSU Channel Islands. I am so very glad I listened to my mother. Mother's truly know best. Channel Islands is a great school with great teachers. I truly walk out of class inspired. I have become a better person because of this school. Please everybody give the little guy a chance. CSU Channel Islands might surprise you!

Mitch

I love the school but it needs more love for commuter students who are often struggling to get by. The food in the island cafe gets boring quick and well the school itself looks nice but deserted most of the time. Students aren't even aware that events are happening unless you live on campus. I currently only have one friend who is a commuter himself and well we have talked about the disbursement of info through out the school and well we've noticed that some events directed for commuters aren't even sent through emails to commuter students so we have no idea what is happening when or what we also don't have any where to be while at school which sucks.

jazmin

CI is a very unique school. It is small and for me personally that is perfect , because I can get around to finding and getting the help I need. It can use a few more things just to up the school in general , but it is a new school and is still growing. I am sure more will come soon. The school is located in Camarillo, a very nice and comfortable town.

Isabel

The school is extremely beautiful and since the campus is small it is easy to get around classes. Most classes are small so you get more interaction with your teachers which is beneficial. The campus is in the middle of fields and there's not much of a college life on campus. You definitely need a car if you want to do anything since there is not anything on campus and you have to drive about 10 minutes to reach anything.

ANN

Seems like a good school, has a lot of opportunities for students within and without the academic environment. Ensures a fun and academic college experience. There is a good working environment even outside the classroom, students don't see it as an obligation but as something they wish to continue and endure.

Lily

I love the environment, the teachers are great, and class size is amazing. The clubs abd sports are awesome so are the students. They have a few places to eat and buy things but there are stores about 20 minutes away from school. My only wish is the the tuition cost drops.

Lucy

I think that they aren't as good as I wanted them to be. I've had numerous problems with admission and payment that were problems on their end. Some of the things that happen are just wrong, like giving parking tickets during winter break, my thoughts on this are, "if a student is staying in housing while no one is there during Christmas break, they're probably not doing it by choice, so why do the cops need to make it worse by giving parking tickets? Especially when there's 20 cars in a lot made for 200."

As being a visitor of California State University of Channel Islands it is an interesting school. It offers and encourages students to participate in on campus activities to get involved. I have heard many good things about this school and being one of my top school I would love to attend it is exciting to hear.

German

Channel islands reminds me of a high school but bigger but not as big so it feels like the professors actually care and want you to learn. Overall I like the campus it is nice and clean and fairly easy to navigate. The lore the comes with this place is very interesting as well.

Bailee

CSUCI is a great school for students who are seeking large school opportunities with a small school vibe. The amenities for on campus housing are new but are not open all of the time. Class sizes are small so there is always opportunities to work closely with your professors.

Nayeli

Visitors at CSU Channel Islands first thoughts have always been that it is the most beautiful campus they have ever seen. Located between fields that are worked by agricultural workers and hills with multiple trials CSU Channel Islands places students at the center. Every door you walk through, someone will eventually hold the door for you, politeness is one of our best characteristics. Among our growing student body acceptance of diversity, culture, and ideology play a major role in our academia. New majors are rising every school year, which is one of the many ways we are history of the Channel Islands. We are currently known for the one of the best Nursing, business and physiology programs. Our library is the heart of our school made out of glass as to represent the transparency the relationship among students, professors and all other groups associated with CSU Channel Islands. Channel Islands are not located on an Island, but once on campus grounds you will feel as if it was an island, since our campus is isolated from the rest our city. The history behind our school is worth researching and exploring when attending CSU Channel Islands. Establish in 2002, CSU Channel Islands is here to stay and expand its doors by welcoming all students, of all backgrounds to fulfill their educational goals.

Becca

California State University Channel Islands is a good school if you just want to get your coursework done. This school is fairly new so there isn't much school spirit or a social aspect, the only people who make friends with each other are the people who live here. The professors are excellent and the courses are all very interesting. I will be transferring out after this semester because CSUCI lacks a rewarding campus life, so I will be going to a more traditional university. The academic aspect and the professors are definitely what I will miss most. Hopefully the Channel Islands community grows and its school spirit along with it.

Norelia

It is a small school but includes many student services that are very helpful. The staff are very helpful and you build a relationship with them. There are clubs you could join or always create your own.

Aemoni

I think the school has really good academics with great professors. Some professors are a bit too challenging as a whole and need to take student reviews seriously. Otherwise, the small classrooms really help for a comforting learning experience. Also, other students are very encouraging.

Sizzinette

I love CI, the atmosphere is so welcoming and positive. There are a variety of things to do on campus and so much more off. Make sure to join a sport, it will keep you busy but really worth it. The Island cafe serves amazing food and make sure to check out other places to eat. I love the flex cash we are able to use too.

Guillermo

My overall opinion of California State University-Channel Islands is that it is a small school with a lot of room for improvement when it comes to facilities. However, it is very peaceful with has lovely weather all year round. There is always an event going on on campus every day which keeps the school community active. Furthermore, the faculty and staff are all really kind and amazing people to be around which affects my opinion of the school in a positive way.

Joshua

It is a great school with a great environment. I feel like I'm at home and I am glad that I was accepted to this school. The people may be a little quiet and the campus may be small, but it is still full of very nice people, awesome R.A.'s and great faculty!

Catherine

The University still has buildings of its old self, it use to be Camarillo State Hospital, Glen Fry called it Hotel California. It's small, quiet, and isolated. I like the campus because it's not too over crowded and it has an old feeling. The Belle Tower is creepy especially the bathrooms, always seems someone is there when left alone. Some of the offices were treatment rooms for, assuming, electrotherapy. Even though they tore down a few of the buildings to build Sierra Hall the ghosts are still there. I get a feeling they like the students there because they like to tease and scare them sometimes. I've heard things moving in front of students while they were working. Other than the ghosts on campus and the haunted dorms the campus has a nice atmosphere and the professors are a blast. There's a lot of help, tutoring, and activities. I never thought I would be graduating but this university along with the staff, and ghosts, have helped me to succeed in getting to where I need to graduate. I have one more semester and will be done! This is a nice campus and staff come and visit one day, the campus is hidden in the Santa Monica mountains so when you come on campus you may see bobcats, coyotes, deer, hawks, owls, vultures, you name it. Haven't seen any mountain lions but they're there. It's an awesome campus.

Issac

Overall I enjoy being at Channel Islands. The campus is small so I have no problem getting to classes on time or meet new people everywhere I go. Channel Islands provides students many resources for studying, help, jobs, and financial aid. Its a get school to go if you want a small classrooms sizes of 20 to 30 students or be able to walk to the nearest help resources.

Maritza

I believe this school is a hidden gem. Sure, it has it downfalls like the lack of alert when the Halloween incident happen, yet they were quick to let students out when the fire started. The staff were understanding when we felt overwhelm after our break when the lockdown, fire and shooting happened. The food is nice but a bit overpriced.

Barbara

This is my first semester attending channel island, and I have to say I’m really happy I transfer here. The classes are small so everyone has a chance to talk and have a one on one with the professor. They truly care about th students and how to help them and improve in any area. My professor have always replied my emails with questions and making sure I’m okay. The campus is nice and have a lot of things to do. I love how they organize hikes each month and trips for the weekend. The school have a lot to offer

I absolutely love CSU Channel Islands. Ever since I went on a college tour when I was a senior in high school, I knew this was the school for me. It isn't too big or too small, and there are plenty of places inside and out to relax, study and socialize. The campus is very active with all students as well, always holding job fairs, club fairs, and art shows. The faculty care about everyone's needs, always trying to include everyone and anyone. Channel Islands has always been the perfect college for me even before I was officially enrolled.

Joanna

I believe California State University-Channel Islands is a wonderful place to learn with small number of students in each class and helpful professors. The campus looks great with modern and cultural buildings. There's always something to do whether it's trying something new or not, to entertain oneself. The students there are so friendly making one feel welcome to the campus at all times.

I didn’t expect Channel Islands to be my school, but now that it is I consider it a home. I’ve made so many memories and friends here. Definitely a blessing in disguise experience for me. The campus is super safe; we have on campus police always on patrol. We also have such a beautiful campus. We’re surrounded by green and nature. It’s one of the best things that’s happened to me.

Sophia

Not only did I feel encouraged to be myself , but i strongly felt I was meant to be there . We all know what it’s like to be a new pet of a group and at first it was , But after a while of interaction with staff and faculty I felt accepted no matter what race , ethnicity, social standing I am apart of. Everyone was super friendly and just so understanding , they even gave me financial resources to live a comfortable life while living off campus .

Fatima

Honestly, I am a very introvert kinda gal and I have found that most people do not like that. They assume I am in deep need of socializing and just too shy to ask, which is not the case. I do like going to go out when I am feeling rambunctious and social but I am not conformable with thirty fliers being thrown at my door or twenty emails suggesting I should stop by. Channel Island has it's fair share of bloke parties and social aspects but it feels toned down and an option rather than an obligation and I am grateful for that.

I really enjoyed going to CSUCI. I transferred from a community college, so this was my big university experience, which included living on campus. The housing experience varies depending on your age; the Anacapa complex was pretty nice, but there's no air conditioning, and it does get hot in the summer. Once you're able to live in Town Center, it's a completely different story. These apartments are so nice, with lots of thoughtful details, WiFi specific to your apartment, and air conditioning, not to mention it's right above the shops and restaurants in Town Center. I can't speak to the freshman dorms, but I never really heard anything bad about them (and they were still building one of the dorms by the time I left, so I really can't offer an opinion). Class sizes were really great, and it was really easy to get in touch and work with professors. They really care about students succeeding and a lot of professors really encouraged us to take advantage of tutoring and study groups and whatever resources were available. When I was there, it was hard to find classes as a bio major because a lot of the sections overlapped, but it might be easier now. I will say that the STEM community was really tight-knit and everyone wanted to see each other succeed. If you pursue a STEM degree, take advantage of the tutoring services and everything you can at the STEM Center. I was able to find a job pretty easily, and my supervisors were incredibly supportive. All in all, I had a great experience at CI! (and none of this includes the ghost stories you'll hear, definitely be sure to ask about them!)

cristina

Overall, CSUCI is a great school where us students can get involved without feeling pressured or lonesome. Everyone is super friendly and willing to lend a helping hand, so it is never a nerve-wracking experience when setting foot on the campus. Most teachers go out of their way to help study outside of office hours which is an immense help with upcoming exams.

Natalie

I really love CSU Channel Islands. The campus is beautiful and the people are always nice. The weather is amazing and we are only around 10 minutes from the beach. Academically, the school does well and you can really tell the professors want the best for you. They are almost always available to help you when you need it. The food on campus is good and they have daily specials so you do not get bored. The campus puts on a lot of activities to make sure the students feel at home on campus. Overall, an amazing school with an amazing atmosphere.

Omari

CSU Channel Islands is a school where students are given the opportunity to help themselves grow and become not only a better student but a better person in life and what they want to succeed as for their career. There are many diverse students who are all given equal opportunity at Channel Islands that all have a bright future ahead of them.

Overall I like the campus to student student ratio size of Cal State Channel Islands. So far I have been very lucky and received very good professors that are always available to discuss grades. I find it easier for me to learn in a smaller classroom environment due to the bond you are able to build with professors and my biggest class so far has been less than 100 students full. The campus housing is decent. Personally I liked the freshman dorms more than I like the sophomore dorms, although I like the responsibility and freeness that comes with the sophomore dorms. I only like the freshman dorms more because there is a large kitchen. There are always different activities going on, but the school does not do a very good job of making people aware of them, although recently I noticed they are putting in more effort. In conclusion I would recommend going to this school. The campus is beautiful and makes me feel at home 24/7.

Alisha

I love Channel Islands! If you are looking for a smaller 4-year University that is not a big party school and is more focused on academics, Channel Islands is exactly what you're looking for! The class sizes are small, around 20-30 students or sometimes even less. Classes really encourage communication, open discussion, and respectful atmospheres. Most of my professors have been amazing, very friendly, and extreamly encouraging. The campus is also semi small and you get comfortable with it pretty easy, not to mention absolutely beautiful! You can also get to really know your classmates or people in your degree program very easy, as with the smaller school size there's more of a chance you'll bump into them again in another one of your classes. If your passion is for learning and academics, then this is the perfect school.