Clemson University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Clemson University

Lindsey

Clemson University is a great place for anybody to attend. There are students from all different backgrounds and cultures which makes it a unique campus to be apart of. Academics are top priority and it's a place that challenges you to be better. Sports and extracurriculars are also a bid deal & provides lots of opportunities to be involved.

Marissa

Clemson University has been known for the great academics and opportunities that can be found here. This university is safe, and you can rely on having something to do always. There's friendly people everywhere you go, and you will have an overall great experience here.

Clemson University is a school that excels in all aspects. Whether it be in academics, social life, or athletics, this school goes above and beyond to be the best it can be. Personally, as student, I have been able to see and experience this first-hand and it has been a real treat to be in this environment. I can't wait to see what the next years have in store!

Ryan

Clemson is a great school! Although it can seem like one of those big scary public universities it is funny how small the campus gets when you become involved with different organizations. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved too! My personal favorite is our student run TV station, but I may be a little bias :). The campus is also very walkable. Getting form point A to point B anywhere on campus will take 15 minutes or less of walking. Academics are also great and facility really cares about you! Also, nothing beats Clemson on game day! I give Clemson a 10/10. I love being here and so happy I made this home for the next 4 years!

Tate

Clemson University is a wonderful school with a great student population. The extracurriculars are very diverse and they offer a lot to many people with different interests. Athletics are a huge deal to Clemson students as football reigns supreme during the fall semester. However, Clemson is very much a STEM school and going in as a liberal arts major will be tough because there isn't as much of a field for that in this area. Overall though, Clemson University presents a lot of research opportunities for those looking into engineering, science, math, or the medical field.

CeCe

Clemson University is one of my favorite places on earth. I could not imagine going to school anywhere else. We have the best football team. The professors are pretty average, but some are great. Over all I really love clemson and can not wait until we win the national championship AGAIN.

Chad

I began my education at Clemson and ended up transferring to the University of South Carolina for a better program in Public Relations, so bear that in mind. Overall, I wouldn't say Clemson was necessarily that bad, but there were a number of issues I ran into that led me to transfer. Firstly, the student body left much to be desired. I got the feeling that so many of the students there came to Clemson specifically to reinvent themselves as maybe they weren't necessarily comfortable with themselves in high school. You got a distinct vibe that many were formerly nerdy and were trying way too hard to give off a Southern aura. Very little authenticity to be had. Secondly, the town was just plain boring. No bar scene, not much to do other than go to the lake or walk around campus. It's pretty, sure, but certainly no better than Columbia or Charleston. Next, the cult. For so many current students and alumni, it seemed like they had created an identity for themselves around the fact that they went to Clemson. They define themselves by this and disavow other facets of their lives that might make them more interesting. I find this in particular with Clemson alumni that I've worked with, and you'll find a similar sentiment shared by the uber-Christian folks over at A&M. It's just bizarre, and if you've worked with an alumnus, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I also don't think the school does a very good job of preparing you for life after college, as we've had to let go of two Clemson alumni in the four short years I've worked at my firm due to their (a bit of a strong word here) incompetence. They were maladjusted to the pressures of deadlines and rode hard on the fact that they graduated from CU. In public relations, Clemson's program was pretty abysmal and was certainly an impetus for me to transfer to USC. Look, it seems like I'm crapping all over Clemson, and though my experience wasn't necessarily all that great, it's certainly a great school for those who fit that particular mold. Clemson has a bit of an identity issue, it's either a Southern school or an ACC school whenever it's convenient for them. I'm so happy I didn't wait too long to transfer, as my college experience was much more well-rounded, academically rigorous for my major and fun after-hours in Columbia. Also, don't let Clemson fool you, though it is a great academic institution and ranked higher than any other school in the state, there have been several controversies about them artificially inflating/padding their stats, not reporting sexual assaults, etc. to get their ranking. It's certainly not enough to say that it's not as good of a school as South Carolina (I'm not THAT crazy), but for your money, if you're well-adjusted and comfortable in your own skin, I'd hightail it to Columbia.

Carly

Clemson is a place where you feel at home even you're not technically at home. The close sense of community, spirit and involvement are the key aspects of why I chose Clemson. Once you step foot in Tigertown, there really is no turning back. The campus speaks for itself, and the students you get to know are amazing. Not everyone in college has a feeling of family, but at Clemson that's a common factor. The faculty also are at the top of their game, and there are always opportunities to get involved and active on Clemson. I'm not sure I could be anywhere else other than Clemson.

Clemson is sort of more in the rural area so you do need to travel for serious shopping/activities. It's not too bad at all, just keep in mind that nothing will come easy here, everything requires work and effort. You will definitely leave prepared.

Ethan

I love being able to go to Clemson. The class size is large, which makes it neat being able to meet so many people with similar interests and values. The on-campus life is good and classes are usually within walking distance. There is a lot of new construction, paving the way for new facilities in many departments and fields of study. There are always events on and off campus, especially downtown Clemson. If you can’t find a place to eat, study, or have fun, you aren’t at CU. Best in academics and athletics-Go Tigers!

A

I attended Clemson as a visiting student for a semester from Canada. The pedagogy was of extremely poor quality. For example, I had classes where every student was given an 'A' and the course material was just watching films. These were public policy courses, not film studies. The students were kinda dumb, in a very stereotypical Southern way. Political leanings were almost entirely Republican, and dissent was met with aggression. I would not recommend this institution if your goal is higher education - the workload and quality of teaching was lower than my public Canadian high school. However, students were generally nice, and the party culture was decent. The city is boring and racist, and the nearby area is frightening.

Cory

Best College in the country. The mix between getting a good education and having a good time while doing it is perfect at Clemson. Intramural sports (basketball) is very competitive, we had a full 64 team bracket this year. There is always something to do and it helps when your football team is so good.

Melanie

Clemson has big campus feel with small town living. They live and breathe football here! The campus is beautiful but you need a bike or a lot of energy to get from place to place. They offer some unique degree option and a great variety of the typical majors.

Zuri

Clemson University is a growing diverse community where students can flourish academically as well as socially. With professors that keep regular office hours and multiple free tutoring opportunities, excelling academically is very accessible and rewarding. With the university being close to the downtown area, there are plenty of things to do on weekends. On-campus events are also a fun way to take a break from your studies with your fellow classmates.

Hillary

Clemson University is an amazing school. Just like any university, though, Clemson has it's rough patches. There are times when students don't agree with each other and times when it seems like the university doesn't want you there. It is all about facing adversity and challenging yourself and others to be a part of something bigger than yourself, being a part of the Clemson family. I love my university and would choose it a million times over if I was given a second chance. The academics here are amazing, the student life is thriving and the support from faculty and staff is amazing. Go tigers!

Nazaria

I have been to Clemson many times and I absolutely love it! The vibe there is so friendly and there is always something to do. People are kind and you can tell everyone is involved. Without a doubt there is not a single person that feels out of place. The atmosphere on campus is great.

Brianna

I am in my senior year at Clemson and as I come closer to graduation, I become more grateful for my time here. I came to Clemson because my family has attended Clemson and I grew up loving the university. When I began my education here, I understood why my family loved their alma mater so much. Clemson is a large university with a small town feel. People here become your family: students, faculty, staff, and alumni all create the biggest family you can ever be a part of. Academics here are no joke, but there are endless resources here for students to succeed. During my junior and senior year, I became diagnosed with a mental illness that impaired my academics. Throughout that time, my classmates, professors, advisers, and even staff at the Redfern Health Center were here to help in any way they could. People here want you to succeed. Your professors want you to grow as a student and find what you love. On top of all this, if you love football, you'll love being a student at Clemson. We're one of the only Division 1 schools in the nation that still offer free student tickets to football games (besides a small fee in your tuition... other universities have this fee plus ticket pricing), a policy we take pride in. If you plan on joining a fraternity or sorority, we have many active chapters here. If not, there are hundreds of organizations and activities you can join while you're here. I will say, there have been many times where I am frustrated with this place. But overall, Clemson has shaped me into who I am, and I hope others will get to experience the Clemson family.

John

If you are from an urban diverse area looking for a eclectic student body this is probably not the place for you! Clemson students tend to be homogenous in terms of thought. Since Clemson is a rural school political opinions swing heavily to the right. There is almost no political demonstrations on campus. Greek life, even though is only a quarter of the student body is involved in the Greek system. Greek still has a huge presence on campus. This is due to the size of the town since often Greek events are the only things that are happening on weekends. In order to be successful at Clemson you have to be proactive!! Friends just don't come to you!! Find the perfect balance between your hobbies and working hard in school. Take advantage of the area around Clemson. Since the town offers little to nothing to do. Go on hikes (tons of amazing warerfalls around wahalla) take trips to charlston Greenville or Atlanta. Break up the monotony of being on a small rural campus. If you can find your tribe Clemson will be the best experience of your life if you don't immediately Clemson can feel suffocating.

Chelsea

Clemson looks very nice. A great atmosphere. One thing I do not like is that the class sizes are very big. I would like for them to be a lot more smaller. I also do not like how big the campus is. If you do not mind the big class sizes and the big campus than this is just for you.

LaTyanna

I love this school, although it is is big. Here I am able to meet new people and see a whole bunch of different cultures. Not everyone her elook or act the same. The professors here help you in any way they can to ensure you can pass the class. There are also outside sources that can help too. The view is pretty and the football team is to live for!!

Edgar

Clemson is a great environment in which you can focus and thrive academically. The courses are rigorous and you are given substantial help in order to succeed in them. On the other hand, the culture around campus is not as healthy. As a PWI, it struggles to be inclusive and respectful of different identities. This is not only seen through students and can sometimes be debilitating to focus in the environment. The minority groups are aware of the struggle they have to endure in this environment and find ways in which to rely on peers for support and focus on what they need to do in order to succeed here. Overall, this is a great institution if you are solely concerned with academic success.

Connor

Clemson University is a great institution to be apart of. I am honored to be a tiger. The campus is beautiful and the atmosphere is unreal. Everyone has the southern hospitality that is well known in the south. We welcome anyone and everyone to Clemson no matter where you are from. My only negative comment that I have to give is that the class sizes are bigger than I expected.

Amer

Clemson University is an amazing college. The campus is a perfect combination of being historic and still modern. There is always something to do on campus. There are multiple student centers where people love to gather to socialize. There is bowling, pool, and ping pong located near Core Campus. Also, sports is very big on campus, especially football. The faculty and students are always friendly, which allows everyone to feel part of the Tiger family. Go tigers!

Andrea

Clemson is an awesome school. There are so many opportunities to stay active and involved in campus, and always smiling, encouraging faces around. Although some classes are large professors always are available for help outside of class, and encourage you to come meet with them so they can get to know you and help you achieve your goals. Clemson University really is like a big family. Go Tigers!

Hyeop

This is a great school to attend. We have the national championship winning football team to gloat about. Students tend to keep to themselves so you don't get confronted with uncomfortable situations. The campus has a awesome atmosphere. It is very clean and open. Come join us!

Emma

My overall opinion of Clemson University is that it is a great school to be a part of. The environment is positive and the academics really push the students to their limits. Sports is a a key part of the university, especially football. This past year they became the National Champions in football, making applications from all over the country almost double in numbers.

Chris

Really Awesome University I would recommend! The mountains are nearby and there are some many clubs and student organization that if you're not having fun, it's your own fault! Greek life is kinda of important but you can have fun without joining and by staying active.

Olivia

Clemson University is my home away from home. Greater than that, it is my new home. The people here are my new family. I have never been one for large crowds of people, so before I toured Clemson I figured that this was the last place I would want to be. After all, there are about 20,000 students here. But after my first visit, I absolutely fell in love. I was so worried about moving away from my mom, she was the only person I had ever lived with, but when I got here, I found a new family. I am so comfortable here, my housing is wonderful, my classes are well sized, and I am so happy to be here. There are a couple things here that aren’t my favorite, like the transit system, but overall, I could not be more content with my education and I know this is where I belong.

Sydney

Clemson is a great school! On game day weekends its truly a sight to see;Tailgating everywhere and you can feel the game day spirt in the air. Classes are a bit hard but they're just trying to make sure you know the material. Lots of people to see and meet! It was my #1 school and I haven't regretted my desc ion since.

Georgia

Clemson University prides themselves on upholding a high academic standard as well as sporting achievements, such as football. There is always something going on on campus, but you also have to manage your time to make sure you keep up your grades. Students whom attend Clemson University can except to leave as well rounded students entering the work force confidently.

Madison

Clemson University is a tough school, but there is no where else I would rather be. There are plenty of people that are always available to help you, and are willing and happy to do it. I feel safe at Clemson and I know that all of my hard work will pay off when I graduate and get a good job.

If you're looking for a home away from home, then welcome to your new family! Whether it's laying on Y beach or throwing a football on Bowman field, there's plenty of friendly faces for you to meet! Even when it comes to school you're not alone, find comfort in professors responding to you emails the day of and holding convenient office hours for extra practice. There's always a shoulder to lean on weather for social or school purposes.

It's a great place

Benjamin

Clemson is an awesome school for anyone studying in a STEM field. Their Computer Science program is top-notch and teaches you how to work with real development tools to be successful in the workplace. Plus, the campus groups are awesome -- I know I have made lifetime friends here.

Bradi

Why did you choose Clemson? This is a question I am frequently asked, seeing as I am from Columbia, where the University of South Carolina is right around the corner. My response is always, why wouldn't I choose Clemson? Clemson has the aesthetic and academic appeal that any college student could ever dream of. Lake Hartwell is right around the corner, the campus itself is a work of art, and the culture of Clemson University is undeniably the most welcoming and family oriented culture of any college in the nation. When reviewing a University, three things come to mind that need to be addressed: academics, sports, and culture. Clemson’s academics are incomparable to other rival universities in South Carolina. According to bestcolleges.com, Clemson is ranked number one in the state of South Carolina. Clemson has an outstanding graduation rate of 82.31% which is remarkable for the rigor of the coursework provided by the university. Clemson offers 80 undergraduate and 110 graduate degree programs, providing an enormous amount of opportunities and options for current and potential students. In regards to the sports aspect of the university, there is no other place to be than in Death Valley on any fall Saturday. After winning the 2016 College Football National Championship, Clemson University is ranked number one in the College Football League. This is an outstanding accomplishment for the university and state of South Carolina as a whole. In terms of academics and sports, Clemson is a university that continues to make South Carolina proud. Lastly, the culture of Clemson University is remarkable. There is no better phrase that represents this college than the repeated phrase by Clemson’s head football coach, Dabo Swinney. Swinney constantly repeats to his players that they must be “All-In.” This saying is incredibly representative of the culture of Clemson. We are a school that is more than a school. More than a city. We are a family. Clemson is a family that is “All-In” for each other. When times are hard and when they are bright, the Clemson culture is one that outshines any other in the nation. So, why did I choose Clemson? You tell me. sources: http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-colleges-in-south-carolina/ http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/faq.html

heather

I love Clemson University. I am from Chicago and knew no one moving in freshman year but everyone is so friendly that I never felt alienated or like it was hard to meet people. Like any other college it is what you put into it. I love the slower pace living down south and everyone in the community is all about the school. The university offers a variety of different clubs to become a part of which is another great networking and social experience. I have felt challenged in my classes but my professors were amazing with making sure you get the most out of the class; extending their office hours or being available to call or email anytime of the day to ensure you were getting the help you needed. The athletic community is amazing too! The majority of students are actively involved in going to athletic events, whether its football or a rowing competition you will find plenty of students there cheering on Clemson. I have nothing but good things to say about Clemson and am so proud to be a part of the university and all it has to offer. Go Tigers!

Philip

I really want to believe that it is a wonderful school, I think I am confident in that fact. The campus has a nice vibe to it and I enjoyed my time there. The cafeteria is excellent, with many choices and large, spacious, and clean areas to dine. Furthermore, the Campus is still expanding, basically, the town is the University and vice versa. The only small drawback is that there is not very much to do outside of campus unless you plan on driving somewhere else.

Christopher

Upon initially getting accepted to Clemson and attending a few Clemson-sponsored events, everyone told me about the "family" that Clemson proclaimed to have. It was this promise of family that really moved my decision to attend Clemson University, but there's a difference between talking about something, and actually experiencing it. The spirit and sense of family that everyone has for their fellow colleagues is real. Like any family, it has its dark sides, from forcing students into off-campus housing, to the understaffed (understaffed is an understatement) tiger-transit, to the controversial history and segregated mindset that looms over certain students. It's definitely not a perfect school (which doesn't even exist), but I will say it has so many opportunities that it is certainly worth looking into, especially if you are looking to major in STEM. *Side-note: If you're a person of color, please do Connections. It's worth it.

Christopher

Overall, I love being a Clemson student

Logan

Clemson has been awesome experience academically socially and of course the best football season yet!! I am proud to have excelled my past 2 1/2 years and know I will leave Clemson with a great education and am positive my experiences and classes will make me a terrific teacher.

Trevon

I want to play my part in society by helping innovate technology into the world we live in. I've always been "tech-savvy" and getting a degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering aligns with my personality and passion for technology. I hope to one day build or help build groundbreaking technology that will change the course of our future.

j

Best School in the Country, I love Clemson

Meghan

Clemson University is the epitome of a southern school with plenty of southern hospitality. The class sizes are small once in your major classes, professors are wonderful and go to great lengths to help you, and the overall environment makes you fall in love with Clemson University.

Leland

I loved my time at Clemson - it was a fantastic mix of academics and extracurricular opportunities. On the whole, Clemson people seem to love their school more than other students love theirs. I think this love stems from the campus climate; from the minute students step on campus, they are encouraged to make their own path both in and out of the classroom. Extracurricular experiences and independent research are at least as important as academics. Academics are challenging at Clemson, but the professors and students recognize the importance of a) being passionate about your institution and b) learning outside the classroom.

Sean

I love it, it is exactly where I want to be. From rowing on Lake Hartwell to longboarding to hills around campus I never have a dull moment. Classes are challenge to the point they make you become better. Each exam is an opportunity to let me know how I am doing without raising stress levels too much.

Donovan

Clemson University is a great university. The campus is beautiful and there are plenty of extra-curricular activities to participate in. The professors I have engaged with this far in my major are friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to help if you show that you have put effort into attempting to learn the content being taught. Generally, I would say that the campus is pretty safe, though as always for every campus parking turns into a bit of a contest as the day goes on. Overall, I love Clemson and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great college to go to.

Destini

I love the atmosphere of Clemson, but the hills you have to climb is a challenge! It's very accepting and inclusive to everyone, and they have great programs for people with different taste. the Advisors are also amazing and want to see you succeed in life. If you don't mind hills, then this is the school for you!

Nicholas

i love it more than any other school i have visited. i have always been a tiger fan and love going to the games. i have been to multiple camps at Clemson and i love the campus and the people that are there. the campus feels very safe and i feel included even as a younger kid. i plan to attend Clemson university the fall of 2019

John

I will be honest with everyone I am a transfer student that came in spring 2014 and I am about to graduate as an engineering senior. I came into clemson with the hopes of being Chemical Engineering and I will say the faculty were stuckup and dicks even though I used every single resource at my disposal such as my classmates, TA, my professor, and did countless problems. At the end I got a straight F and I was miserable and I questioned myself is that what is called being happy. I also am a student that did not fit into the conservative preppy culture at the school. The students for the most part in Chemical engineering are very self-centered and were all too much on grind work than having a balanced life for developing yourself. I was gaining weight, time management was horrible, and I felt depressed. If you do engineering never do it for the money because engineering school is misserable and probably you regret doing it as a career. It was not meant for me, but luckily I switched into Industrial Engineering. It's more manageable and more relatable to whats in the real world. I realized that there is more to life than engineering which is something my department respects. The 1 star rating reflects my Chemical Engineering experience, but IE I give 4 out of 5 stars because they realize that students have to grow in other ways besides school and plus jobs pay about the same compared to Chemical. As a whole though Clemson isn't the best experience socially for an engineering student. Although I am IE, I am still misserable because there are some tough classes but at least I know I kept my scholarship and was able to obtain a good GPA so far. I can't wait to get away from this misserable place. I only had aquaintances and a few close friends so at least I will have some people to remember. If you do engineering, just remember to think about sacrificing 4 years of misery for bunch of opportunity and high paying jobs coming out of school. Really your not buying all this tiger bullshit, what you are getting is a brand called Clemson and their career services. Fuck the people that say I am paying for a rigorous program.