San Mateo, CA
College of San Mateo

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of San Mateo

Monica

Because of its central location, College of San Mateo is above average for a community college and is in a beautiful location right off highway 92 with very well kept buildings and landscaping. Academics should not be expected to be an easy pass just because of its junior college status. Every single one of my professors I have had has been easily accessible and eager to help. I haven't encountered a single "bad" professor, and better yet they treat their student's as competent adults, not like high schoolers or kids to be babysat. If you are intent on learning, there are great opportunities to be found at CSM.

This college is truly a hidden gem. Perched among the Hillsborough hills and overlooking the San Francisco skyline and bay, this community college has better scenery than most universities. It is sunny approximately 9 days out of 10 here, and there are a variety of facilities for everyone's needs. About half of the buildings are brand new, while the other half aren't bad at all. The library is a good place to study and ask for help with research. There are multiple computer labs open to students, some with Macs and some with PC's. The math lab offers extensive tutoring services from both fellow students and professors, and the writing center offers helpful sessions/meetings with professors, among other services. The college center is home to a spectacular view, admissions/records, offices, a cafeteria, Starbucks, and the learning center, which offers tutoring for virtually every subject as well as a spot to study. The food isn't bad. A huge step up from high school, but definitely not a five star restaurant, as to be expected. There is a pretty good selection though: pizza, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, Mexican food, sushi at times. The Starbucks is also convenient, so is the snack store. In terms of academics, class sizes are reasonable, and for the most part, a lot smaller than similar classes at universities. Professors are understanding, approachable and accessible with a few bad apples thrown in. As long as you research who's popular/good before, you should be fine. Workload isn't bad. I managed 20 units one semester (chemistry and calculus among others) and made it out with a 4.0. That being said, it heavily depends on your own work ethic and the specific classes you take. Math/science/engineering is not easy no matter where you go. Some general ed courses are more demanding than others. Overall, I am so glad I chose CSM. You will not regret your choice to attend this school. It is affordable, convenient, and truly a remarkable place I am going to miss once I transfer.

Jullissa

My overall opinion of college of san mateo is that it's amazing. The campus is beautiful and has some breathtaking views from all points of the campus, there are lots of opportunities for students that are thinking of transferring or getting a degree. the food is top notch with an eclectic menu everyday. There's a lot of places where students can go to unwind indoors in the open cafeteria or outdoors in the california sun.

Iris

College of San Mateo has a beautiful and well-kept campus with clean-cut grass. It's spacious but not so spacious that students will get lost. It's at the top of a hill/mountain so if one is looking for it, it's easy to find a beautiful view overlooking the peninsula. In the Academics apartment, CSM has some great professors who are all willing to help and hold office hours. Community college may have a bad rep, but when seeing and experiencing CSM, they're bound to say otherwise.

jadelinn

College of San Mateo is an amazing school. The teachers want you to suceed and they encourage you to transfer or get an Associates Degree. Classroom sizes are mostly small. We have a beautiful campus with state of the art facilities. Campus food is just average, but cheap.

All three of the San Mateo County Community Colleges have been a place for me to truly grow. The faculty have been really great in helping me achieve my academic goals. I've met some really great people through the journey, by going to the math lab/ MESA center/ learning center. I get the help I need with my studies among tutors and my class-mates.

Valerie

They are all different ages and have their own cliques already.

They are all different ages and have their own cliques already.

I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. I didn’t get into the colleges I wanted because I wasn’t focused in high school. In the end community college led me on a new career path. I feel if I had gone to a 4 year university right out of high school I would be better prepared and not feel behind. Grades in high school are so important for scholarships and getting into your dream school. It’s important to work hard that way you can chose where you want to go instead of having to settle for the only school that accepted you. Prom isn’t the end of the world, not getting into college is more like the end of the world. Stay focused, work hard, and do all you can.

I love the campus. The weather is always nice and sunny and the campus has a lot of trees and is beautiful. It's always filled with people during the day and is full of life.

Abigail

My overall opinion of this school is that it's a very mellow school for those who are actually trying to get make their education a priority.

The students are very friendly. Most students are really serious about getting their education. Some smoke a lot in the parking lots.

The academics is kinda similar to high school but on a college level.

Elena

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself that college is awesome because you actually become interested in the different topics that you study, rather than, finding those subjects boring. The professors are great because they make the subjects interesting, and they make you think critically and open your mind. I met a lot of new people in college and made a lot of new friends. You will have fun ! Just work hard for where you want to be, and you'll be fine. Don't worry too much ! =)

Anyone. This is school is great! Everyone is nice and respectful to each other, and there are many resources here to help you get the help you need to succeed academically!

College of San Mateo administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.